MARYLAND STYLE CRAB IMPERIAL
Crab Imperial is a timeless dish made with fresh lump crabmeat. You'll love how easy it is to make this classic dish almost as much as you'll love eating it! This dish can be made with your favorite type of crabmeat and can be used as a stuffing mix for lobster, shrimp, mushrooms and fish.
Provided by Chef Dennis Littley
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Mix mayonnaise, egg, sugar, old bay, lemon juice and parsley together and blend well, this is your imperial sauce.
- Gently fold crabmeat into, imperial sauce, being careful not to break up crab meat.
- place portions in the baking dish of your choice, using ramekins or small casserole dishes
- Spinkle tops of crab imperial with old bay or paprika.
- Bake in 350-degree oven for 20-25 minutes (top will turn golden brown) or until a thermometer gets an internal reading of 165 degrees
- Allow to cool just a few minutes before serving, it will set and be more flavorful as it cools slightly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 408 kcal, Carbohydrate 2 g, Protein 29 g, Fat 30 g, SaturatedFat 4 g, Cholesterol 133 mg, Sodium 340 mg, Sugar 2 g, ServingSize 1 serving
CRAB IMPERIAL, BALTIMORE STYLE
Editor's Note: Crab Imperial is a signature dish of the Chesapeake Bay area. Don't be intimidated by the crab or the fancy name. This seafood dish is as easy as it is delicious. If you're craving something warm and full of maritime flavors for dinner, give this recipe a try, and you just might have a new favorite dish. Here is the piece de resistance of Chesapeake Bay blue Crab dishes. Basically, an imperial is a richly spiced crab casserole that is served in individual portions. It is reserved for the most special of family occasions and is the showpiece selection at fine Chesapeake dinnerhouses. Restaurant reputations are often made-and unmade-on the basis of their success with this dish. Want to start a fight? Ask two or more Marylander how to make the best crab imperial. The answer is a matter of fierce family pride and, in most cases, involves a recipe passed through countless, generations. After several such scuffles, I arrived at the version of the fabled preparation. You can bake it in individual dishes or well-cleaned crab shells (see page 66).
Provided by John Shields
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet and sauté the bell peppers and mushrooms until soft. Set aside.
- Combine the mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire, Tabasco, capers, pepper, and Chesapeake seasoning in a small bowl and mix well. Add the sautéed peppers and mushrooms.
- Place the crabmeat in a mixing bowl and pour the mixture over it. Toss gently. Spoon the mixture into 4 individual gratin dishes or well-cleaned crab shells. (Place filled shells on a baking sheet.) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Remove the casseroles from the oven. Preheat the broiler. Spoon the topping evenly over each casserole. Place under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes, or until nicely browned. (If a broiler is unavailable, brown the top in the oven. It will take a bit longer.) Serve immediately.
BALTIMORE-STYLE CRAB CAKES
- Finely crush the saltine crackers in your hands and place in a large bowl. Add the crabmeat, reserving any crab juice in a separate small bowl.
- To the bowl with the crab juice, add the mayonnaise egg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce; whisk until smooth. Season with black pepper.
- Gently fold the mayonnaise mixture into the crab and saltines. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Scoop the crab mixture into six patties, about 1 1/2-inches thick. Be careful not to handle the mixture too much.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over moderately high heat until shimmering. Add the crab cakes and cook until deeply golden and heated through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the crab cakes to plates and serve with lemon wedges.
CRAB IMPERIAL II
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, combine crab meat, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay Seasoning, salt, cayenne pepper, dry mustard, and beaten egg.. Mix thoroughly.
- In an 8" pie dish, spread mixture and lightly coat the entire dish with bread crumbs. Then sprinkle the top with paprika. Dot the dish with the butter.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 450.2 calories, Carbohydrate 8.1 g, Cholesterol 166.1 mg, Fat 33.7 g, Fiber 0.7 g, Protein 28.4 g, SaturatedFat 9.4 g, Sodium 1086.5 mg, Sugar 1.1 g
CRAB IMPERIAL (BALTIMORE STYLE)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a heavy small saucepot over medium heat. Add shallot and stir until very lightly browned, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Blend in flour, white pepper and mace and stir 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add half-and-half, egg yolks, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and sherry and cook until thick and smooth, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in mayonnaise, lemon juice and salt, and gently fold crabmeat into sauce, being careful not to break up chunks.
- Fill either shells, oven-proof shells, ramekins, or small oven-proof bowls.
- Sprinkle tops with paprika.
- Place onto a cookie sheet and bake until mixture is bubbling, about 12 to 15 minutes, and serve immediately.
MARYLAND CRAB IMPERIAL
This is a wonderful crab dish, full of chunks of crab in a delicate cream sauce- no fillers here! This makes an elegant dinner entree for a special meal or can also be served as a first course. It can be made 2 to 3 hours ahead of when you want to serve it and refrigerated. Originally from a May 1983 issue of Bon Apetit magazine that featured Baltimore, Maryland.
Provided by Leslie in Texas
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in heavy small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and stir until very lightly browned, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Blend in flour, ground red pepper, white pepper and mace and stir 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add milk,half and half, and sherry and cook until thick and smooth, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat;stir in mayonnaise, lemon juice and salt; set aside.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add crab and cook 1 minute, being careful not to break up chunks.
- Gently fold sauce into crab.
- Spoon mixture into 5 or 6 cup au gratin dish.
- * Recipe can be prepared 2 to 3 hours ahead to this point. Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate immediately.
- Sprinkle top with paprika.
- Bake until mixture is bubbling and lightly browned, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- * If crab has been prepared ahead and chilled, cooking time may increase to 20-25 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 454.6, Fat 27.4, SaturatedFat 11.8, Cholesterol 139.7, Sodium 668.5, Carbohydrate 17.2, Fiber 0.4, Sugar 3.1, Protein 28.2
More about "crab imperial baltimore style recipes"
CRAB IMPERIAL RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
TOP CRAB DISHES AND RECIPES - BALTIMORE MAGAZINE
TRADITIONAL MARYLAND CRAB IMPERIAL RECIPE
CRAB IMPERIAL - MONICA'S TABLE
CLASSIC CRAB IMPERIAL RECIPE—VERSATILE AND PERFECT FOR …
RECIPE FINDER | CLASSIC CRAB IMPERIAL – BALTIMORE SUN
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
OLD BAY CLASSIC CRAB IMPERIAL - MCCORMICK
CRAB IMPERIAL RECIPE | EASY CRAB RECIPES | NORTH COAST SEAFOODS
BALTIMORE SUN CRAB CAKE RECIPE - RECIPES BOOK
CRAB IMPERIAL (WITH CRAB IMPERIAL SAUCE) - COOKED BY JULIE
CRAB IMPERIAL WITH CROSTINI - A FAMILY FEAST®
CRAB IMPERIAL - MARYLAND DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
CRAB IMPERIAL RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
OLD-SCHOOL CRAB RECIPES – BALTIMORE SUN
CRAB IMPERIAL RECIPE BY SHANNON DARNALL
HOW TO MAKE CRAB IMPERIAL, THE MARYLAND CRAB CAKE'S WILD COUSIN
CRAB AND CORN IMPERIAL RECIPE FROM LYNN P. OF BALTIMORE, MD
MARYLAND CRAB IMPERIAL RECIPES - THE MARYLAND STORE
CRAB IMPERIAL RECIPE - GRANDPA JOE'S ITALIAN KITCHEN
CRAB IMPERIAL (BALTIMORE STYLE) RECIPE - FOOD.COM
TOP 49 MARYLAND CRAB IMPERIAL SAUCE RECIPE RECIPES
FISHERMAN'S INN CRAB IMPERIAL RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
CRAB IMPERIAL – COCONUT & LIME
CRAB IMPERIAL - EASY LUMP CRAB RECIPE - SAVORY EXPERIMENTS
CRAB IMPERIAL (BALTIMORE STYLE) RECIPE - FOOD.COM
MARYLAND CRAB IMPERIAL WITH BUTTERY GOLDEN BREAD CRUMBS RECIPE
CLASSIC CRAB IMPERIAL | MARYLANDS BEST
TOP 49 CRAB IMPERIAL RECIPE WILLIAMSBURG-RECIPES
VIRGINIA CRAB IMPERIAL - THE SEASONED MOM
EMERILS CRAB IMPERIAL RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
CRAB IMPERIAL (BALTIMORE STYLE) RECIPE | YUMMLY | RECIPE | RECIPES ...
BEST CRAB IMPERIAL IN BALTIMORE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
CRAB IMPERIAL - SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN
CRAB IMPERIAL - YOUTUBE
CRAB IMPERIAL, BALTIMORE STYLE | RECIPE | STUFFED PEPPERS, ROASTED ...
COOKSTR CRAB IMPERIAL, BALTIMORE STYLE RECIPE MACRO NUTRITION FACTS
CRAB IMPERIAL – BALTIMORE BOB'S
MARYLAND CREAMY CRAB IMPERIAL RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
RECIPE(TRIED): HAUSSNER'S RESTAURANT CRAB IMPERIAL - RECIPELINK.COM
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make crab Imperials?Instructions 1 Combine all Crab Imperial ingredients (except for the crab meat) in a medium mixing bowl and whip until smooth. 2 In a separate mixing bowl, add Phillips crab meat and pour imperial mixture over crab meat. 3 Blend all ingredients together by tossing very gently in order to avoid breaking delicate crab lump meat. More items...
How do you make Imperial sauce for crab cakes?Mix mayonnaise, egg, sugar, old bay, lemon juice and parsley together and blend well, this is your imperial sauce. Gently fold crabmeat into, imperial sauce, being careful not to break up crab meat. place portions in the baking dish of your choice, using ramekins or small casserole dishes*.
How long to cook crab imperial?Let the mixture sit for 20-30 minutes and it will absorb some of the sauce, so the mixture isn’t as loose. Then place the crab imperial mixture into a baking dish and place it on the center rack of your oven for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees F. What Else Can I use Crab Imperial For?
What is crab imperial sauce made of?An Imperial Sauce is a mixture of mayonnaise, whole eggs or egg yolks, and seasonings, usually including Old Bay. It’s really easy to make and can be used with every type of crabmeat including imitation crabmeat. **Hellman’s Mayonnaise is best for this recipe, it holds up well to heat. What ingredients do I need to make Crab Imperial?