This is my absolute favorite dish that my mom makes. The onions have a mild sweet flavor, and there's plenty of the rich creamy sauce. The sweetness makes a nice complement to the Peppered Beef Tenderloin. -Denise Bitner Reedsville, Pennsylvania
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add flour, salt and pepper to skillet; stir until smooth. Gradually stir in milk until blended., Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to medium. Return onions to the pan; heat through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 227 calories, Fat 20g fat (12g saturated fat), Cholesterol 56mg cholesterol, Sodium 684mg sodium, Carbohydrate 11g carbohydrate (8g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 3g protein.
MOM'S TRADITIONAL CREAMED ONIONS
- Peel onions, and drop into boiling water. Cook until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Set onions aside while you make the sauce.
- Melt butter or margarine in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour to make a paste. Mix together cooking water and milk. Add milk mixture slowly to the saucepan, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add onions, and transfer to a serving dish.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 211.7 calories, Carbohydrate 16.6 g, Cholesterol 40.3 mg, Fat 14 g, Fiber 0.3 g, Protein 5.4 g, SaturatedFat 8.8 g, Sodium 142.8 mg, Sugar 6.9 g
CREAMED PEARL ONIONS
- Blanch the pearl onions by placing them into a large pot of rapidly boiling water. Cook them for about 1 minute. Remove the onions from the water with a strainer, then plunge into an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Drain them, then remove the skins.
- Put the onions in a 3-quart saucepan and place over low-medium heat. Add the cream, bay leaves, parsley, garlic and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Then, remove the cover and add stock. Season again. Allow to cook down for 5 minutes to tighten up the cream sauce. Discard the garlic clove and bay leaves before serving.
- Blanch onions in a 3-quart pot of boiling water 1 minute, then drain in a colander and transfer to a bowl of cold water to stop cooking. Drain and peel onions.
- Put onions and 1 teaspoon salt in same pot and add fresh water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until onions are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well in colander and transfer to a buttered 2-quart baking dish.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 1- to 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, then add flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add cream in a stream, whisking, and bring to a simmer, whisking. Simmer sauce, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in pepper, nutmeg, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pour sauce over onions.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over moderately low heat, then add bread crumbs and cook, stirring, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle toasted crumbs evenly over onions and bake until sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes.
This dish is a perfect addition to the traditional holiday turkey dinner. In my family, neither Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner would be complete without serving creamed onions.
Provided by GREG IN SAN DIEGO
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Fill a large stock pot with water and heat to a rolling boil.
- Add unpeeled onions and blanch for about 3 minutes.
- Drain and allow onions to cool.
- Re-fill stock pot with water and again heat to boiling temperature.
- Peel each onion by cutting the root end, not the tail end) and then squeezing the onion from its skin.
- Add the onions to the boiling water and cook until fork tender but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, stir together all remaining recipe ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until boiling. Continue to cook and stir about one more minute, until sauce has thickened.
- Combine the fork tender cooked onions with the sauce and sprinkle with paprika.
BAKED CREAMED ONIONS
I often fix this comforting dish for my grown children when they visit. They love it when I double the recipe so they can take leftovers home! This recipe can be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated before baking.
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 5 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter for 5 minutes. Add water and allspice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender., Combine flour and evaporated milk until smooth; gradually stir into the onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in sugar and salt., Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 192 calories, Fat 9g fat (6g saturated fat), Cholesterol 29mg cholesterol, Sodium 367mg sodium, Carbohydrate 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 5g protein.
EASY CREAMED ONIONS
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a small saucepan; cook onions in the boiling water until just tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup water in saucepan, and return onions to pan. Add butter to onions.
- Mix milk and quick-mixing flour together in a bowl; add to onion mixture. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in more quick-mixing flour if mixture is too thin.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 161.1 calories, Carbohydrate 16.2 g, Cholesterol 26.4 mg, Fat 9.7 g, Fiber 0.1 g, Protein 3.4 g, SaturatedFat 6 g, Sodium 117.7 mg, Sugar 5.2 g
- Cut off tip and root ends of onions. Peel, quarter, then separate onion layers. Cook onions in boiling salted water to cover in a 2-quart saucepan until tender, 15 to 20 minutes, and drain in a colander. Melt butter in saucepan over moderate heat. Add flour and cook, whisking, 1 minute. Add cream in a slow stream, whisking, and simmer, whisking, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add onions, cloves, and salt and pepper to taste and gently simmer 5 minutes. Stir in parsley.
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter a casserole dish.
- Slice white onions to pretty much fill casserole.
- Dilute celery soup with milk; add grated cheese and pour over onions.
- Sprinkle top evenly with cracker crumbs.
- Bake for 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 156.4, Fat 7.6, SaturatedFat 3.9, Cholesterol 20.2, Sodium 562, Carbohydrate 17, Fiber 1.8, Sugar 5.4, Protein 6
CREAMY BAKED ONIONS
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Peel and trim the roots of the onions but leave them whole. Cook in a large pan of boiling water for 25 mins until tender, then drain, reserving a little cooking water.
- Season the cream and mix in 2 tbsp of the onion water. When the onions are cool enough to handle, slice each in half through the root. Lay the onion halves, cut side down, in a large baking dish with the bay leaves. Pour over the cream, scatter with the Parmesan, and bake for 25 mins until the cream is bubbling and the onions are just beginning to brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 136 calories, Fat 10 grams fat, SaturatedFat 6 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 8 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 6 grams sugar, Fiber 1 grams fiber, Protein 3 grams protein, Sodium 0.1 milligram of sodium
More about "creamed onions i recipes"
10 BEST CREAMED ONIONS JULIA CHILD RECIPES | YUMMLY
CREAMED ONIONS | COOK'S COUNTRY
CREAMED ONIONS - REAL LIFE DINNER
CLASSIC CREAMED ONIONS - AUNT NELLIE'S
CLASSIC CREAMED ONIONS | LOUISIANA KITCHEN & CULTURE
INA GARTEN CREAMED ONIONS - THERESCIPES.INFO
CREAMED PEARL ONIONS - UMAMI GIRL
ONION RECIPE: CREAMED ONIONS I BY ANONYMOUS – REDCIPES
CREAMED ONIONS RECIPE - WEBMD
ROASTED PARMESAN CREAMED ONIONS - BELLY FULL
SIMPLE CREAMED ONIONS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
RECIPE DETAIL PAGE | LCBO
BEST CREAMED ONIONS I RECIPES AND CREAMED ONIONS I COOKING …
CREAMED ONIONS — RECIPE - THE NEW YORK TIMES
CREAMED ONIONS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CREAMED ONIONS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CREAMED ONIONS - 40 APRONS
CREAMED PEARL ONIONS - CHEF JEAN PIERRE
CREAMED PEARL ONIONS - SPEND WITH PENNIES
RECIPE: CREAMED ONIONS (USING CANNED/JAR ONIONS) - RECIPELINK.COM
CREAMED ONIONS: AN EVER FAVOURITE OF THANKS GIVING HOLIDAY TABLE
LOW CARB CREAMED ONIONS - DIABETIC CHEF'S RECIPES
EASY CREAMED ONIONS - BUBBAPIE
CREAMED ONIONS I | RECIPESTY
LIGHT CREAMED ONIONS | FOODLAND ONTARIO
CREAMED ONIONS RECIPE | EATINGWELL
CREAMED ONIONS WITH THYME AND SAGE RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
CREAMED PEAS AND ONIONS RECIPE - RECIPES.NET
CREAMED ONIONS - AN EDIBLE MOSAIC™
CREAMED ONIONS RECIPE - VEGAN WITH GUSTO
CREAMED PEARL ONIONS RECIPE - A FULL LIVING
CREAMED ONIONS - THE KITCHEN MAGPIE
CREAMED CARAMELIZED ONIONS - THE MIDNIGHT BAKER
CREAMED ONIONS EASY - THERESCIPES.INFO - THERECIPES
CREAMY OVEN BAKED ONIONS IRISH STYLE
CREAM OF ONION SOUP SUBSTITUTE - THERESCIPES.INFO
THE BEST CREAMED ONIONS - THECOOKFUL
Creamed Pearl Onions Recipe~ Noreen's Kitchen30K views-07:00
Creamed Onions - Show 89 - A Secret Ingredient!9.1K views-05:38
Creamed Italian Cipollini Onions Side Dish Recipe ~ Creamy Mini Sweet Onions6.7K views-04:06
The Traveling Epicurean shows us how to cook creamed onions3.4K views-03:52
How to make onion cream799 views-02:21
Pearl Onions in Cream Sauce4.2K views-01:02
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make cream sauce with onions?Put the onions in a 3-quart saucepan and place over low-medium heat. Add the cream, bay leaves, parsley, garlic and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Then, remove the cover and add stock. Season again. Allow to cook down for 5 minutes to tighten up the cream sauce.
How do you make creamed onions gluten free?To make your creamed onions gluten-free, use all-purpose gluten-free flour. To peel your pearl onions, boil a large pot of water. Trim the root ends off your onions before boiling them, then add them to the pot. Boil them for about 2 minutes, then drain.
How to cook onions in a pan with butter?Worth using fresh onions instead of frozen. Bring water and salt to a boil in a small saucepan; cook onions in the boiling water until just tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup water in saucepan, and return onions to pan. Add butter to onions. Mix milk and quick-mixing flour together in a bowl; add to onion mixture.
What is the best way to make fried onions?Directions In a large skillet, saute onions in butter for 5 minutes. Add water and allspice; bring to a boil. Combine flour and evaporated milk until smooth; gradually stir into the onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs.