CREAMED FRESH SPINACH
This flavorful no-frills side dish is a great way to incorporate the nutritious leafy greens into a meal. My mom always included creamed spinach or carrots on our holiday menu. -Rosemarie Forcum White Stone, Virginia
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Place spinach in a Dutch oven over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and steam just until wilted, about 4 minutes. Drain; chop and set aside., Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the onion, salt and pepper. Fold in spinach; heat through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 191 calories, Fat 18g fat (11g saturated fat), Cholesterol 60mg cholesterol, Sodium 101mg sodium, Carbohydrate 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 3g protein.
- Combine milk, spinach liquid and garlic in a 1-quart microwave-safe measuring cup or small bowl covered with a saucer, and microwave (or heat slowly in a medium saucepan) until very hot and steamy. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to soften garlic.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour. Add hot milk mixture all at once, then whisk until smooth. Stir in spinach; cook until sauce is thick and bubbly and spinach is tender but still green, about 5 minutes. Stir in cheese, nutmeg, and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 130.1 calories, Carbohydrate 11.2 g, Cholesterol 16.6 mg, Fat 6.7 g, Fiber 4.3 g, Protein 9 g, SaturatedFat 3.7 g, Sodium 220.7 mg, Sugar 3.1 g
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Drain in a fine mesh strainer, pressing with a large spoon to release as much water as possible. Finely chop and set aside.
- Melt the butter in medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, just until the liquid is released. Add the cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and cook until the cream is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
CHEESY CREAMED SPINACH
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and cook until wilted, stirring constantly. Remove from the skillet and drain in a colander. Try to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Melt the butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onions; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and stir in the heavy cream. Sprinkle in the provolone cheese and stir to melt and coat the spinach. Once the provolone has melted, stir in the Parmesan cheese and continue to cook and stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 243.6 calories, Carbohydrate 5.3 g, Cholesterol 68.2 mg, Fat 21.6 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 9.1 g, SaturatedFat 13.4 g, Sodium 321.9 mg, Sugar 0.7 g
ABSOLUTELY THE BEST CREAMED SPINACH
This is smooth baby! Be sure and use a good quality melting cheese for best results. NOTE: 08/19/08, we edited the recipe to a larger spinach-to-sauce ratio.
Provided by 2Bleu
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- COOK THE SPINACH (if using fresh spinach): Heat a very large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add all the spinach with the water still clinging to its leaves, you may have to firmly pack it. Cover the pan tightly (weight the lid down, if necessary). Leave the spinach to cook for about 2 minutes, then turn it over so that the wilted leaves are on the top. Cover and repeat the process a few times more, until all spinach is nicely wilted. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Drain spinach and reserve the pot that you cooked the spinach inches DO NOT WASH OR WIPE CLEAN.
- If you don't have a salad spinner (OR if using frozen spinach), squeeze the spinach dry with your hands a little at a time, squeezing as much liquid as possible from the leaves. Use paper towels and gently blot the spinach to help it dry. Chop the spinach leaves coarsely and set aside.
- MAKE A ROUX: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon, to make a loose paste. Cook for about 1 minute. As soon as it balls up into a paste, exchange the wooden spoon for a wire wisk and in a steady stream, whisk in the warm milk. Stir slowly, until the roux comes to a simmer, about 2 minutes, stirring continuously, until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the cream, salt, and pepper, and stir for 1 minute more. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese to melt.
- ONION MIXTURE: In the same skillet where the spinach was cooked, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- ASSEMBLY: Add the cooked spinach and the cheese sauce to the pan and stir together over medium heat until well mixed and heated through. Taste for seasoning, and transfer to a heated and covered serving dish.
EASY CREAMED SPINACH
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spinach, and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute. Drain in a colander; rinse with cold water until cool. Squeeze spinach to remove as much liquid as possible; coarsely chop, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and milk; cook, stirring, until cream cheese is melted and smooth. Stir in spinach. Simmer over medium heat until mixture thickens, 8 to 10 minutes. Add nutmeg; season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 225 g, Fat 17 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 9 g
What can be better than a side of creamy, nutmeg-infused spinach? Perfect to accompany any roast and especially good at Christmas
Provided by Good Food team
Categories Dinner, Side dish
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat 25g butter in a saucepan, then add 1 finely chopped small onion and cook for 5 mins until softened.
- Stir in 2 tbsp plain flour and cook for 2 mins, then slowly start to whisk in 200ml full-fat milk. When it has all been incorporated, gently cook for 5 mins until the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, place two 200g bags spinach in a large colander. Pour over a kettle full of boiling water until the leaves have wilted (you may have to do this twice).
- Place the spinach in a clean dishcloth, squeeze out any excess liquid, then roughly chop.
- Stir into the sauce with 100ml single cream, gently heat, then finely grate over some fresh nutmeg and season well.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 83 calories, Fat 6 grams fat, SaturatedFat 4 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 5 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 3 grams sugar, Fiber 1 grams fiber, Protein 3 grams protein, Sodium 0.26 milligram of sodium
FAST AND EASY CREAMED SPINACH
This is a little easier, a little quicker, a little more contemporary, and believe it or not, a little lighter than traditional creamed spinach. Have all your ingredients ready to go ahead of time. It's a classic steak side dish.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Pour olive oil into a large soup pot, place over high heat, add spinach, and cover. Cook for 1 minute, uncover, and lightly stir until most of the leaves are bright green and wilted, about 2 minutes. Quickly drain spinach in a strainer and transfer to a plate lined with 4 or 5 paper towels. Once cool enough to handle, squeeze as much liquid from the spinach as possible. Transfer spinach to a cutting board and coarsely chop.
- Mix salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter in skillet, and stir shallot in the hot butter until just barely golden and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir seasoning mixture into shallot mixture and pour in cream. Raise heat to medium-high and reduce cream sauce to about half, about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon zest.
- Reduce heat to low and toss spinach with cream sauce in skillet. Cook and stir until spinach is heated through and coated, about 2 minutes. Stir Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese into spinach until thoroughly combined; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 178.9 calories, Carbohydrate 7.1 g, Cholesterol 47 mg, Fat 15.6 g, Fiber 3.4 g, Protein 5.7 g, SaturatedFat 8.7 g, Sodium 173.4 mg, Sugar 0.8 g
- Wash the spinach in several changes of water to get rid of any grit. Drain the spinach but keep some of the water clinging to the leaves. Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the spinach and garlic. Cook, turning frequently, until the spinach has wilted down evenly. Remove the garlic and put the spinach into a colander and let it drain well. Press out as much liquid as you can from the leaves and chop them coarsely.
- Heat the skillet again over medium-high heat and add the cream and nutmeg; cook until it reduces a bit, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the spinach is hot, about 5 more minutes. Serve immediately.
More about "creamed spinach recipes"
CREAMED SPINACH RECIPE (FROZEN SPINACH) | HEALTHY RECIPES BLOG
5/5 (108)Calories 165 per servingCategory Side Dish
- Place the frozen spinach in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high just until thawed, about 4 minutes. Place the spinach in a colander and press on it to get out as much liquid as possible.
- Stir in the spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg, heavy cream and Parmesan. Cook, stirring, just until heated through, 1-2 minutes, then serve.
EASY CREAMED SPINACH (BETTER THAN A STEAKHOUSE) - SPEND ...
5/5 (34)Total Time 25 minsCategory AppetizerCalories 121 per serving
- Cook spinach in a pan with olive oil over medium heat until wilted and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and place in a strainer to drain.
- Add onion and butter to the pan and cook on medium low heat until onion is softened. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer while stirring until smooth. Simmer 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Squeeze any excess moisture out of the spinach. Add back to the pan and stir to combine. Heat through and serve.
BEST CREAMED SPINACH RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE CREAMED SPINACH
5/5 (34)Servings 6Occupation Associate Food EditorTotal Time 15 mins
- Drain and place in a bowl of ice water. When cool enough to handle, drain and squeeze out as much excess water as possible.
BEST EVER CREAMED SPINACH RECIPE | THE RECIPE CRITIC
5/5 (3)Total Time 20 minsCategory Side DishCalories 139 per serving
- In a medium saucepan, boil about a half inch of water. Add 16 ounces of the spinach and cover. Allow to cook only until all the spinach has wilted, about a minute, then transfer to a bowl of ice water. Drain the spinach and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Set aside.
- In a large pan over medium high heat, melt the butter and cook the shallots until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, stir, and cook for another minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the flour, stir, and allow to cook for about 2-3 minutes. Whisk in the milk and stir until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in parmesan. Add the cooked spinach. Add the remaining 4oz of fresh spinach and stir just until that wilts. Season with white pepper, nutmeg, and salt. Serve immediately.
CREAMED SPINACH RECIPE - THE SEASONED MOM
5/5 (1)Total Time 17 minsCategory Side DishCalories 103 per serving
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Pour in the milk and whisk constantly until the mixture comes to a simmer, about 1-2 minutes (do not boil).
- Reduce heat to low; season sauce with nutmeg, salt and pepper; slowly add spinach, stirring until leaves wilt and sauce thickens (about 3-4 minutes). If you prefer more spinach with the sauce, you can add up to 20 ounces; if you like a thinner sauce, add a splash (or more) of milk or cream to reach desired consistency. Adjust the amounts to suit your tastes!
EASY CREAMED SPINACH - DAMN DELICIOUS
4.6/5 (8)Category ThanksgivingServings 6Estimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
CREAMED SPINACH RECIPES - SIMPLY DELICIOUS
See details »
BEST CREAMED SPINACH RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE CREAMED SPINACH
5/5 (2)Category Side DishServings 8Total Time 30 mins See details »
THE BEST CREAMED SPINACH RECIPE - CRAYONS & CRAVINGS
5/5 (6)Total Time 15 minsCategory Side DishesCalories 156 per serving
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent (about 3 minutes). Add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes, stirring often.
CREAMED SPINACH WITH FRESH SPINACH RECIPE - THESE OLD ...
Servings 6Total Time 17 minsCategory Side DishCalories 139 per serving
- Wash spinach, and add it to the pan, cooking it in the water that clings to it after washing. Cook until its wilted and tender, approximately 3 minutes.
EASY LOW CARB KETO CREAMED SPINACH RECIPE (VIDEO ...
4.9/5 (83)Total Time 15 minsCategory Side DishCalories 274 per serving
- Add spinach. Saute for 2 to 4 minutes, until wilted. If the pan is too full to stir at first, cover it for a minute or two, which will let the spinach at the bottom wilt. Then you can start to stir in a folding motion.
- Add heavy cream, cream cheese, sea salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning. Stir constantly until the cream cheese melts, then cook a few minutes until thickened.
EASY CREAMED SPINACH - CAFE DELITES
4.7/5 (15)Category Side DishCuisine AmericanTotal Time 20 mins
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for a couple of minutes until light golden. Add in the onion and cook until transparent (about 2-3 minutes), then add the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Pour in the milk (or half and half), whisking constantly until the white sauce thickens (about 5 minutes). Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne (If using). If the sauce is too thick, add another 1/4 cup of milk to the sauce, whisking it through until reaching your desired thickness.
- For the spinach: melt the remaining butter in a separate pan, and add spinach in batches, wilting each batch before adding the next, until all spinach is wilted. (Add a small spoon of water if the pan gets too dry.)Alternatively: Cook the spinach in a pot of boiling water for just one minute; then immerse in a cold water bath to stop the cooking process. Squeeze out any excess water from the leaves and set aside.
- Season the cream sauce with salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne. Add wilted spinach to the cream sauce, stirring gently to combine. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
THE BEST CREAMED SPINACH RECIPE IN 20 MINUTES | THE NOVICE ...
4.4/5 (589)Category Low CarbCuisine AmericanTotal Time 20 mins
- Cook spinach in microwave according to package directions. Remove excess water (squeeze carefully using cheese cloth, a tea towel, or a colander) and set aside.
- Add heavy cream and cook for 2 minutes. Add mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Stir till combined.
THE BEST CREAMED SPINACH RECIPE [VIDEO] - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
5/5 (77)Total Time 35 minsCategory Side DishCalories 230 per serving See details »
EASY CREAMED SPINACH - SIMPLY DELICIOUS
Ratings 10Calories 173 per servingCategory Easy Recipe, Side Dish, Vegetarian
- Pour over the cream and lemon juice then allow to cook for another minute or two until the spinach is cooked through.
CREAMED SPINACH (WITH FROZEN OR FRESH SPINACH!) • SALT ...
4.9/5 (8)Total Time 25 minsCategory Side DishCalories 300 per serving
- Frozen spinach: Thaw the spinach under running water (or try microwaving it for a few minutes to speed up the process), then squeeze out as much of the excess water as you can. Fresh spinach: Boil a pot of water. Add the spinach and cook for about 1 minute. Drain it and rinse it under cool water. Squeeze out excess water. Chop if desired.
- In a medium saucepan, sauté the butter and onion over medium heat until it's lightly browned (about 5-7 minutes).
- Reduce heat (I keep it on medium-low for this step, but you can increase heat as needed). Stir in the garlic, followed by the heavy cream, cream cheese, parmesan, and nutmeg. It will take a few minutes for the cream cheese to melt in, especially if the cream cheese is cold. I break it up with my spoon/stir it continuously. The sauce should thicken up as it cooks.
- Stir in the spinach and let it heat through. If you want more liquid, add in a splash more cream. If there's too much liquid, you may need to cook the spinach for a few more minutes to reduce the sauce to your liking.
CREAMED SPINACH - JO COOKS
4.8/5 (6)Total Time 30 minsCategory Breakfast, Side DishCalories 129 per serving
- Blanch the spinach: Boil a pot of water, then turn off the heat. Add the spinach, stir, and let it soak for 20-30 seconds. Drain the spinach in a colander in the sink and immediately run the spinach under cold water to halt the cooking. Let it drain the colander while making the sauce.
- Sauté onion and garlic: In a saucepan pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and. Stir in the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds until aromatic. Stir in the flour and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the milk, mix well until smooth and thickened.
- Add the spinach and cook: Add the spinach to the saucepan, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Blend: Add the creamed spinach to a food processor and pulse a few times until it's reached your desired consistency.
CREAMED SPINACH RECIPE | MYRECIPES
4.5/5 (8)Servings 4
- Remove large stems from spinach, and rinse with cold water; drain. Place a large Dutch oven over medium heat, and add spinach. (Spinach will need to be tightly packed into the pan to cook all of it in one batch). Cover and cook 5 minutes or until spinach wilts; stir spinach well after 2 minutes. Place spinach in a colander, and drain well, pressing spinach with the back of a spoon to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Place pan coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes. Combine flour, salt, and nutmeg; add to pan, stirring well. Cook 30 seconds. Add milk and cheese, stirring with a whisk; cook 1 minute or until thick. Add spinach; cook 30 seconds or until thoroughly heated.
10 BEST CREAMED SPINACH WITH FROZEN SPINACH RECIPES | YUMMLY
See details »
30-minutes-or-less time-to-make course main-ingredient cuisine preparation occasion north-american low-protein very-low-carbs appetizers side-dishes vegetables easy holiday-event kid-friendly dips dietary low-sodium gluten-free seasonal low-calorie low-carb egg-free free-of-something toddler-friendly low-in-something greens spinach
You'll also love