DOUBLE CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE
This recipe came from Gourmet magazine, and was posted in reply to a message board request. Callebaut semisweet chocolate for the cake and Guittard French-vanilla chocolate for the frosting, but any fine-quality semisweet chocolate will produce a wonderful result in either. Use 2 10-inch x 2-inch round cake pans
Provided by Dee514
Yield 1 Cake, 12-14 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Make cake layers: Preheat oven to 300°F and grease pans.
- Line bottoms with rounds of wax paper and grease paper.
- Finely chop chocolate and in a bowl combine with hot coffee.
- Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Into a large bowl sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs until thickened slightly and lemon colored (about 3 minutes with a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a hand-held mixer).
- Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well.
- Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined well.
- Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Cool layers completely in pans on racks.
- Run a thin knife around edges of pans and invert layers onto racks.
- Carefully remove waxed paper.
- Cake layers may be made 1 day ahead and kept, wrapped well in plastic wrap, at room temperature.
- Make frosting: Finely chop chocolate.
- In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart saucepan bring cream, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil over moderately low heat, whisking until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove pan from heat and add chocolate, whisking until chocolate is melted.
- Cut butter into pieces and add to frosting, whisking until smooth.
- Transfer frosting to a bowl and cool, stirring occasionally, until spreadable (depending on chocolate used, it may be necessary to chill frosting to spreadable consistency).
- Spread frosting between cake layers and over top and sides.
- Cake keeps, covered and chilled, 3 days.
- Bring cake to room temperature before serving.
You can have your cake and eat it too. In this exceptionally rich, moist dessert, eggs and butter are replaced by oil and water, resulting in a cholesterol-free cake that tastes just like traditional devil's food.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 13
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat an 8-inch round cake pan with spray.
- Whisk water and cocoa in a small bowl until smooth. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, and make a well in center. Add cocoa mixture, oil, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in vinegar. Pour into pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake, invert it onto rack, and turn cake right side up. Let cool completely. Transfer cake to a serving plate or a cake stand.
- For the glaze: Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over simmering water, stirring until smooth. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk together sugar and water until smooth. Add melted chocolate in a slow, steady stream, whisking until thickened, about 1 minute. Immediately pour glaze onto center of cooled cake. Using an offset spatula, gently spread glaze over top and sides.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 261 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 3 g, SaturatedFat 2 g, Sodium 125 g
DOUBLE-LAYER CHOCOLATE CAKE
Another no-fail made-from-scratch recipe from Sunset. A nice, firm cake that makes two perfectly flat two-inch layers that are not too sweet. A perfect cake for a variety of fillings and frostings. Note: To melt chocolate, break it into small pieces and place in a small microwave-safe bowl; cook in microwave at half power, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. (Watch it closely, stirring occasionally and heat until just melted).
Provided by SharleneW
Yield 2 9inch layers, 12-16 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In mixing bowl at medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until blended.
- Beat in eggs.
- Add melted chocolate and vanilla; beat until combined.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another small bowl, mix milk and sour cream.
- Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to butter mixture, about a third of each at a time, beating after each addition.
- (Batter will be very thick).
- Spread batter evenly into cake pans.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until a wooden skewer or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (25 to 30 minutes).
- Cool on racks in pans for 10 minutes, then invert cakes onto racks and remove pans.
- Cool completely before frosting.
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Melt butter and unsweetened chocolate together in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a large bowl of an electric mixer. Add melted chocolate mixture, buttermilk, and eggs. Beat on low speed for 1 minute; increase speed to high and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Divide batter between the prepared cake pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cakes spring back when gently pressed, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes; invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, bring cream just to a boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips; mix until frosting is smooth and starts to thicken.
- Place 1 cooled cake layer on a cake plate. Spread with 1/3 cup frosting. Top with second layer. Frost the top and sides with remaining frosting.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 650 calories, Carbohydrate 85.3 g, Cholesterol 119.4 mg, Fat 32.8 g, Fiber 2.5 g, Protein 8.7 g, SaturatedFat 20 g, Sodium 690.2 mg, Sugar 55.5 g
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH CREAMY FROSTING
A one-two punch of VOSKOS® Nonfat Vanilla Greek Yogurt--in the cake and in the frosting--adds richness and a hint of vanilla to this elegant layer cake. Make this cake mix fix-up for a birthday or an everyday celebration.
Provided by Voskos
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9x1 1/2-inch cake pans. Combine cake mix, VOSKOS® Nonfat Vanilla Greek Yogurt, water, vegetable oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Scrape sides of bowl; fold in grated chocolate.
- Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool cakes on wire racks. Fill and frost layers with Creamy Frosting (see below).
- Creamy Frosting: Combine butter, VOSKOS® Nonfat Vanilla Greek Yogurt, and vanilla in large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. (Mixture will appear curdled.) Gradually beat in powdered sugar until frosting is spreadable.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 372.7 calories, Carbohydrate 50.6 g, Cholesterol 58 mg, Fat 18.3 g, Fiber 0.4 g, Protein 3 g, SaturatedFat 7.7 g, Sodium 81.1 mg, Sugar 46.6 g
DOUBLE-DEEP-CHOCOLATE HANUKKAH LAYER CAKE
- Bake cake layers:
- Heat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Oil pans and line bottoms with rounds of parchment, then dust sides only with cocoa powder, knocking out excess.
- Whisk together water, coconut milk, 3/4 cup oil, eggs, and vanilla in a bowl until well blended and smooth.
- Sift together flour, sugar, 3/4 cup cocoa powder, baking powder and soda, and salt into a large bowl. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Divide batter between pans, and bake until a tester comes out clean and layers just begin to pull away from side of pans, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool cake layers in pans on a rack 30 minutes, then run a thin knife around edge of pans and invert cakes onto rack. Remove parchment and cool completely.
- Make frosting:
- Combine coconut milk, chocolate chips, and espresso powder in a heat-proof bowl. Set bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, and heat, whisking occasionally, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Remove bowl from pan and whisk in corn syrup and vanilla.
- Chill frosting, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and spreadable, about 2 hours. (To quick-chill, place bowl in the freezer and stir occasionally until chocolate mixture is thickened and spreadable, 20 to 30 minutes.)
- Assemble cake:
- Spread frosting generously between cake layers and over top and sides.
People also searched
More about "double layer chocolate cake recipes"
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE - TODAY.COM
4.3/5 (320)Author Ed KaskyCuisine AmericanCategory Desserts
- Finely chop chocolate and in a bowl combine with hot coffee. Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Into a large bowl, sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another large bowl, with an electric mixer beat eggs until thickened slightly and lemon colored (about 3 minutes with a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a hand-held mixer). Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well. Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined well. Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
DOUBLE-CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE RECIPE - INA GARTEN | FOOD & WINE
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter two 8-by-2-inch round cake pans and line them with parchment; butter the paper. Dust the pans with flour, tapping out any excess.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the chocolate at high power in 30-second intervals, stirring, until most of the chocolate is melted. Stir until completely melted, then set aside to cool.
EGGLESS DOUBLE LAYERED CHOCOLATE CAKE - SECONDRECIPE
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
DOUBLE-LAYER WHITE CHOCOLATE CAKE | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan cook and stir chopped white chocolate over low heat until melted; cool. Lightly grease the bottoms of two 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper; grease and lightly flour pans. Set pans aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until combined. Scrape sides of bowl; beat for 2 minutes more. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Beat in melted white chocolate just until combined. Spoon batter into the prepared pans, spreading evenly.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove layers from pans; peel off waxed paper. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 1 cup of the White Chocolate Frosting. Top with second cake layer. Generously spread top and sides of cake with additional frosting. If desired, place remaining frosting in a decorating bag and pipe on cake as desired.*
EASY CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE | PRETTY. SIMPLE. SWEET.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Generously butter two 8-inch cake pans that are at least 2-inches high, and dust with cocoa powder, tapping the ramekins slightly to remove any excess.
- In a large bowl, place flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, oil, vanilla, buttermilk, and water. Whisk until smooth. Add egg mixture into flour mixture and mix until smooth. Don’t overbeat – batter will be lumpy at first, but mix gently and eventually stir with a whisk just until smooth. The batter will be very thin and liquid. That's ok.
- Scrape batter into prepared pans. Bake cakes for about 30-35 minutes (depending on your oven - this might take longer), or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before unmolding, then let cakes cool completely on a wire rack.
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE (CHOCOLATE MAYONNAISE CAKE ...
Estimated Reading Time 8 mins See details »
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH BUTTERCREAM FROSTING RECIPE ...
4.6/5 Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease three round baking pans and set aside. In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla extract; beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in hot coffee.
- Whip the room-temperature butter on medium speed. Shift to low and add cocoa powder slowly, spoonfuls at a time, until fully incorporated. Still on low, add in the powdered sugar (also one spoonful at a time), alternating with the milk, to achieve desired consistency and taste. Then, beat on medium speed until very light and fluffy, another 3-5 minutes. Add in more sugar if consistency is too thin.
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE | GARLIC & ZEST
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray two 9-inch pans with vegetable spray. Cut two rounds of parchment to fit easily into the bottom of the pans. Line the pans with the parchment paper and spray again with vegetable spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk together until well combined.
- In a small bowl, or two cup measuring cup, add the buttermilk, canola oil, eggs and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- With your mixer on low-medium speed, slowly add the liquids to the dry ingredients until just incorporated. Mix in the coffee, scraping the bottoms and sides to make sure everything is well combined.
EASY DOUBLE CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE - BROWNED BUTTER BLONDIE
Estimated Reading Time 9 mins
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the softened butter on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
TRIPLE CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE | SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease two 9-inch cake pans, line with parchment paper, then grease the parchment paper. Parchment paper helps the cakes seamlessly release from the pans.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder (if using) together in a large bowl. Set aside. Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or you can use a whisk) mix the oil, eggs, and vanilla together on medium-high speed until combined. Add the buttermilk and mix until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, add the hot water/coffee, and whisk or beat on low speed until the batter is completely combined. Batter is thin.
- Divide batter evenly between pans. Bake for 23-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Baking times vary, so keep an eye on yours. The cakes are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Note: Even if they’re completely done, the cooled cakes may *slightly* sink in the center. Cocoa powder is simply not as structurally strong as all-purpose flour and can’t hold up to all the moisture necessary to make a moist tasting chocolate cake. It’s normal!)
CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE - JUST SO TASTY
See details »
DOUBLE-LAYER CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
- In a bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until blended. Beat in eggs. Add melted chocolate and vanilla; beat until combined.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, mix milk and sour cream.
- Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to butter mixture, about a third of each at a time, beating after each addition until incorporated (batter will be very thick). Scrape batter equally into two buttered and floured 9-inch round cake pans and spread level.
- Bake in a 350° regular or convection oven until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on racks in pans for 10 minutes, then invert cakes onto racks and remove pans. Cool completely before frosting.
20 GORGEOUS LAYER CAKE RECIPES FOR EVERY OCCASION | MARTHA ...
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins See details »
WALMART DOUBLE LAYER COOKIE CAKE RECIPES
See details »
DOUBLE-LAYER CHOCOLATE CAKE - BUSY MOM RECIPES
See details »
DOUBLE LAYER CHOCOLATE CAKE - RECIPES-HOMEMADE
See details »
JUNIOR'S CHOCOLATE DREAM LAYER CAKE RECIPE - EASY RECIPES
See details »
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE - RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
See details »
EASY DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CAKE - EASY DESSERT RECIPES
See details »
DOUBLE LAYER CHOCOLATE CAKE| NO EGG NO OVEN| BEST ...
See details »
DOUBLE LAYER CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE RECIPE BY JHATT PATT ...
See details »
You'll also love