EASTER BUTTERMILK HOT CROSS BUNS
- Measure the water into a large bowl and sprinkle the yeast over the top. Let stand about 5 minutes to dissolve the yeast. Stir in the buttermilk, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and margarine. Mix in 1 cup of flour until well blended, then stir in the raisins. Gradually mix in the remaining flour until the dough is stiff enough to take out of the bowl and knead on a floured surface. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning to coat and cover with a towel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and divide into 18 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and place in a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover loosely with a towel and allow to rise again until your finger leaves an impression when you poke the dough gently, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Remove the towel from the buns. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Spoon the frosting into a small sandwich bag or pastry bag. Snip off the corner and squeeze out frosting to make a cross on top of the buns when cool.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 194.4 calories, Carbohydrate 32.8 g, Cholesterol 0.5 mg, Fat 5.7 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 3.2 g, SaturatedFat 1.1 g, Sodium 241.8 mg, Sugar 13.6 g
EASTER HOT CROSS BUNS
- Stir 1/4 cup milk, yeast, and 1 teaspoon sugar together in a small bowl; let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk 3 cups flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg together in a large bowl. Stir yeast mixture, 1/2 cup milk, softened butter, and eggs into flour mixture with a wooden spoon until well incorporated; stir in raisins and marmalade. Dough will be sticky.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup flour onto work surface; turn dough onto surface and knead, incorporating additional flour as needed, until tacky but not sticking to fingers, about 10 minutes. Form dough into a ball.
- Place dough in a large, lightly-oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover bowl with a clean towel and let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
- Deflate dough; divide into 16 equal pieces and form into round buns. Place buns 1 1/2 inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheets; cover with a light cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Whisk egg white and 1 tablespoon milk together in a small bowl. Use a sharp knife to score a deep cross on top of each bun; brush buns with egg wash.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Remove to cool completely on a wire rack, about 15 minutes.
- Place confectioners' sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons milk in a plastic sandwich bag; knead the bag until combined. Snip off one corner of the bag; pipe a cross into the scored lines on each bun.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 186.1 calories, Carbohydrate 33.4 g, Cholesterol 31.9 mg, Fat 4.1 g, Fiber 1.3 g, Protein 4.5 g, SaturatedFat 2.2 g, Sodium 186.2 mg, Sugar 12.1 g
TRADITIONAL HOT CROSS BUNS
On Easter morning, our family always looked forward to a breakfast of dyed hard boiled eggs and Mom's hot cross buns. I still serve these for special brunches or buffets. -Barbara Jean Lull, Fullerton, California
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2-1/2 dozen.
Number Of Ingredients 16
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. In a large bowl, combine eggs, butter, sugar, salt, spices, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in currants, raisins and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky)., Turn onto a floured surface; knead until dough is smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour., Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 30 balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, 30-45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°., Using a sharp knife, cut a cross on top of each bun. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and water; brush over tops. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool slightly., For icing, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Pipe a cross on top of each bun. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 171 calories, Fat 3g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 28mg cholesterol, Sodium 145mg sodium, Carbohydrate 31g carbohydrate (12g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 4g protein.
More about "easter buttermilk hot cross buns recipes"
EASTER BUTTERMILK HOT CROSS BUNS - YUM TASTE
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
HOT CROSS BUNS RECIPE - SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
EASTER HOT CROSS BUNS - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
BEST EASTER RECIPES | ALEXANDRA'S KITCHEN
THESE BISCUITS ARE THE EASIEST HOT CROSS BUNS JOY THE BAKER
WIN SILICONE COOKING UTENSILS | ALLRECIPES
BUFFINS!!! MUFFINS THAT TASTE LIKE HOT CROSS BUNS · CHEF ...
BUTTERMILK HOT CROSS BUNS | CIAO ITALIA
EASTER BUTTERMILK HOT CROSS BUNS THE BEST RECIPES - BREAD ...
ALLRECIPES - EASTER BUTTERMILK HOT CROSS BUNS
EASTER BUTTERMILK HOT CROSS BUNS - REVIEW BY CAROLYN ...
HOW TO MAKE EASTER BUTTERMILK HOT CROSS BUNS FROM ...
EASTER BUTTERMILK HOT CROSS BUNS | RECIPESTY
HOT CROSS BUNS AND SIMNEL CAKE: EASTER RECIPES - YAHOO
EASTER BUTTERMILK HOT CROSS BUNS RECIPE | YUMMLY | RECIPE ...
HOT CROSS BUNS W/ BUTTERMILK - THE FRESH LOAF
EASY HOT CROSS BUNS RECIPE - MCCORMICK
EASTER BUNS RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
20 EASTER BAKING IDEAS | ALLRECIPES
RECIPES/EASTER-BUTTERMILK-HOT-CROSS-BUNS.JSON AT MASTER ...
EASTER BUTTERMILK HOT CROSS BUNS ALLRECIPES.COM RECIPE
AMAZING HOT CROSS BUNS RECIPE - YOUTUBE
HOW TO MAKE EASTER BUTTERMILK HOT CROSS BUNS | EASTER ...
HOT CROSS BUNS RECIPE - BBC FOOD
EASTER BUTTERMILK HOT CROSS BUNS - CRECIPE.COM
EASTER BUTTERMILK HOT CROSS BUNS | RECIPE | HOT CROSS BUNS ...
HEALTHY HOT CROSS BUNS - TALES FROM THE KITCHEN SHED
EASTER HOT CROSS BUNS RECIPE
HOT CROSS BUNS RECIPE - RECIPETIN EATS
HOT CROSS BUNS | RECIPE | HOT CROSS BUNS RECIPE, HOT CROSS ...
THE BEST RECIPES: EASTER BUTTERMILK HOT CROSS BUNS
HOT CROSS BUNS RECIPE | HIGH PROTEIN, LOWER IN SUGAR
EASTER BUTTERMILK HOT CROSS BUNS | HOT CROSS BUNS RECIPE ...
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make hot cross buns?While your Hot Cross Buns are proving, make your hot cross mix. Sift the flour into a jug, add the water and mix well until you have a smooth paste. When your hot cross buns are ready for the oven, pipe or use a spoon to form the crosses on your buns. Place in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
Can you make Easter without a hot cross bun?I made traditional British Hot Cross Buns every year at the Kitchen Shed in France because for me, Easter wasn’t Easter without a hot cross bun. But it wasn’t a totally selfish affair since, in truth, our French neighbours loved my hot cross buns just as much as the British expats who’d “put their orders in” as Easter drew near.
How to make muffins that taste like hot cross buns?Muffins That Taste Like Hot Cross Buns In a large bowl, sift together self-raising flour, mixed spice, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda. In another bowl mix together buttermilk, melted butter, caster sugar and eggs. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and mix until just combined.
What is the healthiest milk for hot cross buns?Buttermilk is low in fat so it’s a natural choice for Healthy Hot Cross Buns. It also has the advantage of keeping the buns lovely and soft. If you can’t get hold of buttermilk you can use half natural yoghurt and half semi skimmed milk.