FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES AND ROMANO BEANS
If you are unfamiliar with farro, here's a primer: Farro is a whole wheat berry with a complex, nutty taste and a hearty texture. In cooking you can use it interchangeably with spelt or wheat berries, though farro is sometimes softer than spelt or wheat berries when cooked. Cook the grains in at least 3 times their volume of salted water or stock for 50 minutes, or until some of the grains begin to splay. Turn off the heat and allow to sit for 15 to 30 minutes, then drain. A cup of uncooked farro will yield three cups cooked.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Categories salads and dressings, side dish
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a large bowl combine the farro and tomatoes.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Toss with the farro and tomatoes and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, and fill a bowl with ice water. When the water comes to a boil, add a generous amount of salt and add the green beans. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, until just tender. Transfer to the ice water, then drain. Dry on paper towels.
- Shortly before serving, add the beans to the farro mixture, along with the chopped herbs. Toss together, taste and adjust seasoning. Sprinkle the goat cheese over the top and serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 188, UnsaturatedFat 8 grams, Carbohydrate 23 grams, Fat 10 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 5 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 416 milligrams, Sugar 3 grams, TransFat 0 grams
FARRO, HERB, AND VEGETABLE SALAD
- Place farro in a large bowl and cover with cold water; let soak 30 minutes.
- Drain farro and place in a large saucepan. Add 8 cups water, cover, and bring to a boil. Uncover and reduce heat to a simmer; let cook 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cold water; drain again. Transfer to a large bowl and add vinegar, olive oil, cucumber, tomatoes, and cilantro; stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper; serve topped with shrimp, if desired.
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES AND HERBS - GIADA DE LAURENTIIS
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water, farro, and salt, then turn heat to high and bring it all to a boil.
- When it has come to a boil, reduce the temperature to medium low, cover, and let simmer until the farro is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain mixture well, then pour it all into a large ceramic or porcelain bowl and set aside to let cool.
- When cooled, add the chopped tomatoes, onion, chives, and parsley, tossing to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the garlic, vinegar, pepper, and olive oil, and whisk well until incorporated to make the dressing.
- Combine the dressing with the farro mixture, tossing it to coat well; season to taste with salt.
- Note: this salad can be made the day before and stored in the refrigerator- Giada suggests serving it at room temperature, so just make sure to take it out of the fridge an hour before serving, or taste it cold to see if you like it that way, too; also, a few sliced black and/or green olives can be a nice addition.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 103.8, Fat 9.2, SaturatedFat 1.3, Sodium 787, Carbohydrate 5.1, Fiber 1.2, Sugar 3.2, Protein 1
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES AND HERBS
Farro is a type of wheat that was an important component of the Roman Empire's diet, but it fell somewhat out of favor when more refined wheat products became plentiful in Italy. You'll still find it on a lot of Italian tables, though, and especially in soups and salads such as this one. Farro is available in Italian markets and gourmet grocery stores, but brown rice or barley could also be used in this recipe.
Yield 6 side-dish servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a medium saucepan, combine 4 cups water and farro. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the farro is almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and simmer until the farro is tender, about 10 minutes longer. Drain well, then transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, mash the garlic with 1/4 teaspoon of salt to make a paste. Whisk in the vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, then the oil. Add the tomatoes, onion, chives, and parsley to the farro and toss to combine. Add the vinaigrette to the salad and toss to coat. Season the salad with more salt and pepper to taste. (The salad can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
FARRO AND TOMATO SALAD
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add farro and reduce heat, cover, and simmer until farro is tender and liquid has been absorbed, up to 40 minutes.
- Fold cooked farro, great northern beans, cherry tomatoes, parsley, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper together gently in a bowl and stir to combine.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 273.1 calories, Carbohydrate 53.2 g, Cholesterol 4.4 mg, Fat 3.1 g, Fiber 4.5 g, Protein 13.5 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 127.3 mg, Sugar 0.1 g
CHOPPED HERB SALAD WITH FARRO
This dish is modeled on a Middle Eastern tabouli. Add just one cup of cooked farro or spelt to a generous mix of chopped parsley, mint, arugula and other herbs like basil or dill. Notice that I'm calling this dish a chopped herb salad with farro and not a farro salad with chopped herbs. It's modeled on an authentic Middle Eastern tabouli, which should be all about the parsley, with just a small amount of bulgur. I add just one cup of cooked farro or spelt to a generous mix of chopped parsley, mint, arugula and other herbs like basil or dill. There are also chopped tomatoes in the mix, all of it tossed with lemon juice and olive oil.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Yield Serves 6
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a large bowl, combine parsley, mint, arugula and/or other herbs, tomatoes, scallions, farro, sumac, lemon juice and salt to taste. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours so the farro marinates in the lemon juice.
- Add olive oil, toss together, taste and adjust seasonings. The salad should taste lemony. Add more lemon juice if it doesn't. Serve with lettuce leaves if desired.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 157, UnsaturatedFat 8 grams, Carbohydrate 17 grams, Fat 10 grams, Fiber 5 grams, Protein 4 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 381 milligrams, Sugar 3 grams
More about "farro salad with tomatoes and herbs recipes"
BEST TOMATO AND CUCUMBER FARRO SALAD RECIPE - HOW …
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES AND HERBS RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
- In a large saucepan, cover the farro with the water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat until barely tender, about 20 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes longer. Drain well, then transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, mash the garlic with a pinch of salt until it becomes a puree. Whisk in the balsamic vinegar and then the olive oil. Season the dressing with pepper.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, chives and parsley to the farro and toss. Add the dressing to the salad, season with salt and pepper and toss, then serve.
15 BEST FARRO SALAD RECIPES | RECIPES, DINNERS AND EASY …
FARRO SALAD - EASY, NUTRITIOUS, DELICIOUS! - SOUTHERN FOOD AND FUN
FARRO, TOMATO & HERB SALAD WITH ROASTED LEMONS - CAMILLE STYLES
FARRO SALAD - COMMANDCOOKING.COM
TOP 49 FARRO SALAD RECIPES
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES AND HERBS - FOOD NETWORK
FARRO RECIPES - NATURE'S EARTHLY CHOICE™
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATO AND HERBS - WHITE LIGHTS ON WEDNESDAY
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES, HERBS & CHICKEN – THE SIMPLY …
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES & HERBS - THE DR. OZ SHOW
RECIPE: SUMMER FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES, CUCUMBERS & BASIL
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES AND BASIL - COMPLETELY DELICIOUS
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES AND HERBS - PLAIN.RECIPES
ITALIAN FARRO SALAD - INSIDE THE RUSTIC KITCHEN
SUMMER FARRO SALAD WITH CORN - HOLISTICFOODIE.COM
FARRO SALAD WITH LEEKS, PISTACHIOS AND HERBS RECIPE
FARRO AND TOMATO SALAD WITH HERBS RECIPE - FOOD.COM
WARM FARRO SALAD WITH ROASTED TOMATOES - IT'S A VEG WORLD AFTER …
TOMATO FARRO SALAD - SLOW ROASTED TOMATO FARRO SALAD - HOW …
[RECIPE] FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES AND MOZZARELLA | WHAT WE’RE …
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES AND HERBS ALA GIADA RECIPE
FARRO AND TOMATO SALAD — THE MOM 100
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES AND HERBS : RECIPES : COOKING CHANNEL …
FARRO TABBOULEH SALAD | FEASTING AT HOME
ITALIAN FARRO SALAD WITH FETA AND TOMATOES - WELLPLATED.COM
LOADED MEDITERRANEAN FARRO SALAD WITH ARUGULA AND FETA | THE ...
FARRO AND TOMATO SALAD RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
FARRO SALAD WITH VEGETABLES AND HERBS - MOSTLY MEDITERRANEAN
ARTICHOKE AND OLIVE FARRO SALAD RECIPE - NYT COOKING
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES AND HERBS – RECIPES NETWORK
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES, MUSHROOMS AND BASIL - DAVID LEBOVITZ
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES & MOZZARELLA | ITALIAN FOOD FOREVER
FARRO SALAD WITH FETA - DINNER AT THE ZOO
MEDITERRANEAN FARRO SALAD (GRAIN SALAD) - SPEND WITH PENNIES
HEARTY FARRO SALAD – A COUPLE COOKS
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES AND HERBS - MANILA RECIPES
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make pasta salad with Farro?Directions. Drain well, and then transfer to a large bowl to cool. Add the tomatoes, onion, chives, and parsley to the farro, and toss to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk together the garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Add the vinaigrette to the salad and toss to coat. The salad can be refrigerated overnight.
What to make with Farro and tomatoes?In a large bowl combine the farro and tomatoes. Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Toss with the farro and tomatoes and set aside. Bring a pot of water to a boil, and fill a bowl with ice water. When the water comes to a boil, add a generous amount of salt and add the green beans.
What can I do with leftover Farro salad?You can add whatever you want to a farro salad and really take advantage of what the seasons have to offer it's also a great way to use up any leftover veggies you might have. Cucumber, chickpeas, peppers, artichokes, grilled veggies or even mozzarella would all work really well (just to name a few).
Is Farro salad good for You?This farro salad is hearty and filling making it a great meal as is. If you’d like to top it with protein, try one of the following: