My Dad always made this family recipe when I was growing up. I'm sure he'll be proud to see I like it enough to share! These are the REAL thing!.......original German potato dumplings!
Provided by M. G.
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Peel 10-12 medium potatoes (about 7 cups).
- In a large bowl, shred potatoes. I have a 7 cup food processor and it makes the job really quick. Otherwise, a hand grater is all you need.
- In a separate small bowl -- mix the eggs and salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the shredded potatoes and using your hands, mix well.
- Gradually add in the flour, again using your hands. This is very heavy and gooey and is usually too much work for your mixer or it's blades.
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil.
- Using a generous amount of flour on your hands, scoop a handful of the potato mixture into your hands and form into a ball. Place each dumpling on a cookie sheet for an easy transfer to the boiling water. (Recipe makes 10-12 baseball sized dumplings.).
- Once water reaches a rolling boil, gently add each dumpling and continue to boil until the dumplings float.
- Remove the dumplings from the water using a slotted spoon or strainer spoon and place in serving dish. Best served hot with gravy or sauerkraut.
- Dumplings also make one of the best leftover breakfast items ever! Chop into bite sized pieces and saute with butter and garlic salt to put a crowd pleasing twist on traditional hashbrowns!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 387.1, Fat 2.4, SaturatedFat 0.7, Cholesterol 62, Sodium 423.1, Carbohydrate 78.6, Fiber 5.6, Sugar 1.6, Protein 12.1
GRATED POTATO DUMPLINGS
- Heat a large pot of water to boiling.
- Peel potatoes, and keep submerged in cold water to prevent browning. Grate potatoes, by hand or with a food processor, into a large bowl. Drain any excess water. Stir in flour and salt. With a teaspoon, form a test dumpling. If it doesn't hold together, Stir in more flour.
- Form dumplings with a teaspoon, and gently drop into boiling water. Allow dumplings to float freely. Gently stir with wooden spoon so dumplings don't stick together. Reduce heat to slow boil. Boil for 40 minutes.
- Drain in colander. Rinse with hot water. Serve with gravy or melted butter.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 397.9 calories, Carbohydrate 88.3 g, Fat 0.6 g, Fiber 9 g, Protein 10.7 g, SaturatedFat 0.1 g, Sodium 604.1 mg, Sugar 3 g
POLISH DROP POTATO DUMPLINGS (CIN)
I WAS ASKED BY ONE OF THE GALS IN GROUPS IF I WOULD POST THIS AS IT SEEMED TO HER IT WAS A LOT LIKE HER GRANDMOTHER USED TO MAKE. I don't know where I got this recipe, my Great-GrandMother was Dutch German, (German Dutch however it goes), so I belong to a German web site...it may have come from their. She was a Quaker.... She...
Provided by Straws Kitchen(*o *)
Categories Other Side Dishes
Number Of Ingredients 4
- 1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix all ingredients until a thick paste forms. Dip a teaspoon in the boiling water, then dip teaspoon in the dumpling mixture, picking up half a teaspoon or so, and slide it into the gently boiling water. Continue until all the dumpling dough is gone. Simmer about 20 minutes or until dumplings taste done. Drain in a colander and serve as a side dish, a Lenten/vegetarian meal (OR, in soup). Makes enough Drop Potato Dumplings for about 8 servings of soup (but not in our house). NOTE: If you like you can roll some of the dough between 2-spoons before dropping them into the broth. Just depends on how you like the look them ...taste same either way. The pic above is just drops of loose dough; bottom pic is the rolled look.
More about "grated potato dumplings recipes"
NORWEGIAN POTATO DUMPLINGS (KLUB) – CHEAP RECIPE BLOG
4.5/5 (4)Category InternationalServings 15Total Time 50 mins
- Prepare mixture: Place grated potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs and mix with your hands (I find this is the easiest way given the thick, heavy batter). Add 1 cup of flour - and then keep adding flour until the potato mixture sticks together. This was about 2 cups when I made it.
- Form into balls: Take about 1/2 cup of the potato mixture. Place piece of pork chop in the middle and form into a ball. Repeat until all of the potatoes have been used.
- Cook dumplings: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potato dumplings one at a time. Cook for 30 minutes in simmering water. At 30 minutes, take one dumpling out and test to see if the meat inside is cooked. If not, cook for a little longer. My batch took 30 minutes.
- Serving: Serve hot, topped with melted butter, salt and pepper, and parsley and/or chopped green onion.
GRATED POLISH POTATO DUMPLINGS (PYZY) RECIPE
4.5/5 (46)Total Time 1 hr 15 minsCategory Side Dish, PastaCalories 698 per serving
GERMAN POTATO DUMPLINGS RECIPE | BOILED AND RAW POTATOES ...
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
POLISH POTATO DUMPLINGS ARE PERFECTLY IMPERFECT COMFORT FOOD
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
OMA'S THüRINGER KLöSSE ~ RAW POTATO DUMPLINGS MADE …
VEGAN POTATO DUMPLINGS WITH MUSHROOM-SAUCE - VE EAT COOK BAKE
5/5 (6)Total Time 45 minsCategory Dinner
- Press the steamed and peeled potato dumplings through a potato press or puree them with a potato masher. I use a press, it's faster and easier.
- Now mix and knead all the ingredients for the potato dumplings with the potatoes. You should now have a relatively solid mass that will hold together when you form potato dumplings.
GERMAN POTATO DUMPLINGS (KARTOFFELKLößE) - RECIPES FROM EUROPE
5/5 (1)Total Time 1 hr 10 minsCategory DinnerCalories 268 per serving
- Optional: Cut the old bun/slices of bread into approx. 1/2 inch cubes. Then heat the butter in a pan, add the bread pieces, and fry them on medium heat until golden brown. Set them aside.
- Peel the potatoes. Take 1/2 of the potatoes, half or quarter them (depending on the size) and boil them in a large pot of saltwater for approx. 20 minutes until tender. You can remove the potatoes from the water with a straining spoon instead of draining them if you want to reuse the water later to boil the dumplings.
- While one part of the potatoes are boiling, take the remaining 1/2 of the potatoes and grate them on the fine side of a four-sided box grater. Put the grated potato pieces into a "potato sack" - or a nut milk bag or even a kitchen towel - and squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Make sure to capture the liquid in a bowl. Once you have squeezed out as much liquid as possible, set the "potato ball" aside - it should still be covered with the kitchen towel (or what you used). Also set the liquid aside to allow the potato starch to settle at the bottom of the bowl. Once the starch has settled, carefully drain the liquid.
- Mash the cooked potatoes with a potato masher or press them through a potato press (basically a large garlic press). Make sure that there are no potato lumps left.
POTATO DUMPLINGS – CZECH CHLUPATé KNEDLíKY - COOK LIKE CZECHS
5/5 (1)Category Side DishServings 4Total Time 35 mins
- Transfer squeezed potatoes to a bowl, add an egg, salt, and flour. Mix the ingredients until a thicker dough is created.
HOW TO MAKE POTATO DUMPLINGS ⋆ MY GERMAN RECIPES
5/5 (1)Category Dinner, Lunch (Or Dinner), Side Dish, SidesCuisine German
- When the potatoes are cooked all the way through, immediately remove the water, then put the pot back onto the hot stove for a moment so more water evaporates. You want your potatoes to be as dry as possible.
POUTINES RAPéES-POTATO DUMPLINGS ACADIAN STYLE | THE ...
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
SLOVAK HALUSKY (GRATED POTATO DUMPLINGS) RECIPE
4.3/5 (88)Total Time 45 minsCategory Dinner, Entree, Lunch, Side DishCalories 833 per serving
POTATO DUMPLINGS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
GRATED POTATO DUMPLINGS RECIPE AND NUTRITION - EAT THIS MUCH
Servings 4Total Time 55 mins
GRATED POTATO DUMPLINGS RECIPES
NATIONAL RECIPES: GRATED POTATO DUMPLINGS RECIPE - POLISH ...
GRATED POTATO DUMPLINGS RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
BEST SITES ABOUT TRADITIONAL POLISH POTATO RECIPES
POTATO ROSTI RECIPE - GET COOKING INSTRUCTIONS - PIONEER ...
GRATED POTATO DUMPLINGS - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
GRATED POTATO AND BREAD DUMPLINGS RECIPE
GRATED POTATO DUMPLINGS RECIPE
BUTTERY MASHED POTATOES - SERVING DUMPLINGS
GRATED POTATO DUMPLING - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
AUTHENTIC POTATO PRUNE DUMPLINGS • GERMAN RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
~SLOVAK GRATED POTATO & ONION DUMPLINGS (HALUSKI ...
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions