- Heat the oil in the pot
- Saute the onions and garlic
- Add the tomatoes, herbs, spices and salt and pepper and stir well
- Simmer until aromatic and thickened
- Turn off the heat
- Boil the pasta in saltwater until just cooked and drain
- Beat the two egg whites and add to the pasta along with the cheese and stir
- For the Bechamel, melt the butter in another pot or saucepan
- Add the flour and stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until a smooth paste
- Gradually pour in the milk and whisk over heat until a thick creamy sauce is achieved
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg
- Add the eggs and 1/2 cup of cheese stirring constantly
- In a large, deep pan arrange half the pasta evenly inside
- Cover with the meat sauce
- Cover with the rest of the pasta
- Cover with the Bechamel sauce and garnish with the rest of the cheese
- Bake for approximately 1 hour or until Golden Brown
Nutrition Facts : Calories 656 calories, Carbohydrate 22 grams carbohydrates, Cholesterol 202 milligrams cholesterol, Fat 41 grams fat, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 47 grams protein, SaturatedFat 20 grams saturated fat, ServingSize 1, Sodium 477 milligrams sodium, Sugar 2 grams sugar, TransFat 1 grams trans fat, UnsaturatedFat 17 grams unsaturated fat
GREEK PASTITSIO RECIPE (GREEK LASAGNA WITH BéCHAMEL)
The Best Greek Pastitsio recipe (Pastichio)! An authentic Greek Lasagna recipe to recreate this traditional delight just like my grandma used to make it.
Provided by Eli K. Giannopoulos
Number Of Ingredients 23
- To prepare this traditional pastitsio recipe (pastichio), start with the meat sauce. Place a large pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil, the chopped onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste and the beef. Break up the meat with a wooden spoon and brown for 4-5 minutes. Pour in the red wine and wait to evaporate. Add the canned tomatoes, the sugar, cinnamon, clove, the bay leaf and season. Bring to the boil, turn the heat down and simmer with the lid on for about 30 minutes, until most of the juices have evaporated. (After the meat is cooked, discard the bay leaf, the clove and the cinnamon)
- Prepare the bechamel sauce for the pastitsio. Melt the butter in a large pan over low-medium heat. Add the flour whisking continuously to make a paste. Add warmed milk in small batches, whisking continuously in order to prevent your sauce from getting lumpy. If the sauce still needs to thicken, boil over low heat whilst continuing to stir. Remove the pan from the stove and add the egg yolks, salt, pepper, a pinch of nutmeg and the grated cheese (50g/ 1.7oz.). Whisk quickly, in order to prevent the eggs from turning an omelette! Season with salt to taste.
- Cook the pasta for the pastitsio 2-3 minutes less than the package instructions, so that they don't get mushy after turning out of the oven later. Drain the pasta and stir in the egg whites and the feta cheese (smashed with a fork) and mix gently with a spatula.
- For this pastitsio recipe you will need a large baking dish, approx. 25*35 cm / 10*14 inch. Butter the bottom and sides of a pan and assemble the pastitsio. Layer the pasta, top with the meat sauce and even out. Top the pastitsio with the bechamel sauce and smooth out with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the pastichio with grated cheese and bake in preheated oven at 180C (350F) Fan for about 40 minutes, until crust turns a light golden brown. Let the pastitsio cool down for a while before serving.
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 1 square, Calories 724kcal, Sugar 11.1g, Sodium 607.6mg, Fat 30.7g, SaturatedFat 14.6g, UnsaturatedFat 14.1g, TransFat 0.2g, Carbohydrate 63.2g, Fiber 3.1g, Protein 44.5g, Cholesterol 169.6mg
PASTITSIO - GREEK LASAGNA
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta and drain.
- While pasta is cooking, brown meat in heavy skillet, add onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Mix in cinnamon and tomato sauce.
- In a saucepan, melt butter, whisk in flour and cook 1 minute, whisk in milk and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add beaten eggs and 1/4 cup parmesan to white sauce.
- In a buttered two quart casserole dish, add half pasta, top with meat mixture, add the rest of the pasta.
- Pour white sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake 60 minutes.
PASTITSIO (GREEK LASAGNA)
This is truly a unique dinner recipe that is very different than traditional lasagna!
Provided by RecipeGirl.com (shared from a Greek Family)
Categories Main Course
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the flour and then gradually whisk in the hot milk. Cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce is smooth and thickened. Stir in the salt, remove from heat and let cool. When the sauce is lukewarm, whisk in the eggs. Set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Add the onions and saute until softened and golden. Crumble the beef into the skillet and cook with the onions until the beef is browned. Stir in the cinnamon, salt and pepper. Stir in the water and tomato paste, and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook ziti according to directions on the package. Drain and rinse with cool water. When pasta has cooled down, stir in the beaten eggs and 1½ teaspoons salt.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a deep 9x13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray. You really need a deep casserole dish for this recipe (deeper than the usual 9x13-inch pyrex).
- Scoop half of the pasta into the bottom of your prepared dish. Sprinkle generously with cheese. Spoon on the meat mixture to create an even layer; sprinkle with another layer of cheese. Scoop the remaining pasta on top of the meat and sprinkle with more cheese! Top with the cream sauce and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and golden on top. Let sit at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before serving (but it is suggested that you refrigerate to let the layers set... and then warm up later to serve).
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 1 serving, Calories 707 kcal, Carbohydrate 49 g, Protein 44 g, Fat 35 g, SaturatedFat 19 g, Cholesterol 233 mg, Sodium 1417 mg, Fiber 2 g, Sugar 7 g
AUTHENTIC GREEK MOUSSAKA
This traditional moussaka is truly the best, and just as authentic as any you'd try in Greece! While it takes a bit of time, it's actually quite simple to make. Kali orexi! (Bon appetit!)
Provided by Anonymous
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Sprinkle eggplant slices with salt and place in a colander set in the sink or over a plate. Let sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour so the salt can draw out any bitterness.
- Meanwhile, make bechamel sauce. Heat milk in a saucepan almost to a boil. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour until a smooth paste forms. Lower heat and gradually pour in hot milk, whisking constantly until bechamel sauce thickens. Season with salt. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Rinse eggplant slices under cold running water. Squeeze out liquid and pat dry with paper towels. Whisk egg yolks into the cooled bechamel.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet and cook eggplant slices in batches until each side is lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on a large plate lined with paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with olive oil.
- Heat remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over low heat. Cook grated onion until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high and add ground beef. Cook and stir until browned and crumbly, about 5 minutes. Season with allspice, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook until all excess liquid has evaporated and mixture appears dry, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in parsley and remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly, then stir in the egg white.
- Arrange a layer of eggplant in the prepared baking dish. Cover eggplant with all of the beef mixture and sprinkle with 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese. Cover with remaining eggplant and sprinkle another 1/3 of Parmesan cheese on top. Pour bechamel sauce over the top and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top of the moussaka is set and golden, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from oven and let rest at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 628 calories, Carbohydrate 35.3 g, Cholesterol 172.8 mg, Fat 44.2 g, Fiber 11.2 g, Protein 26.2 g, SaturatedFat 18.5 g, Sodium 718.3 mg, Sugar 16.7 g
PASTITSIO (GREEK-STYLE LASAGNA)
Do yourself a favor and try our Pastitsio (Greek-Style Lasagna). With a sprinkle of nutmeg, pastitsio is as easy to make as it is delicious.
Provided by My Food and Family
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Brown meat with onions in large skillet; drain. Stir in pasta sauce and vinegar; simmer on low heat 15 min., stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large saucepan on low heat. Add milk; bring to boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Simmer on low heat 3 to 5 min. or until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in yogurt and nutmeg. Add macaroni; mix lightly.
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Spread meat sauce onto bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray; top with macaroni mixture and cheese.
- Bake 45 to 50 min. or until macaroni mixture is heated through and top is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 470, Fat 15 g, SaturatedFat 7 g, TransFat 0.5 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 590 mg, Carbohydrate 0 g, Fiber 3 g, Sugar 0 g, Protein 29 g
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni noodles, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cook ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat until beef is evenly browned. Remove from heat, and drain grease. Stir in the tomatoes, feta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and cinnamon. Mix in pasta, and transfer to a large baking dish.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together the milk and cornstarch until no lumps remain. Add butter, and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat, and pour the sauce over the mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, until the top is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 601.5 calories, Carbohydrate 65 g, Cholesterol 90.7 mg, Fat 22.8 g, Fiber 3.1 g, Protein 31.8 g, SaturatedFat 12.1 g, Sodium 567.8 mg, Sugar 7.3 g
I found this recipe (curled up in a drawer lol) Always meant to try it, am now posting for the 2005 Zaar World Tour/Greece!! Times are estimated.
Provided by katie in the UP
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cook lasagne according to package directions; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Warm oil in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add onion, garlic and eggplant. Cover and let vegetables cook until very soft, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, stir together the Ricotta, Feta and yogurt.
- When vegetables are done, stir in tomato sauce. Remove from heat and set aside 1 cup of eggplant mixture.
- In a 9 × 13 × 2-inch baking dish, spread a little of the eggplant mixture over the bottom and cover with 3 pieces of lasagne. Spoon some of the Ricotta over the lasagne. Continue to layer with eggplant mixture, lasagne, and Ricotta. Place a layer of lasagne on top. Spread the reserved eggplant over lasagne and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until cheese is brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 188.6, Fat 9.9, SaturatedFat 5.6, Cholesterol 32.9, Sodium 617.2, Carbohydrate 13.7, Fiber 2.5, Sugar 6.3, Protein 12.5
More about "greek lasagna recipes"
YIAYIA'S EASY GREEK PASTITSIO (GREEK LASAGNA WITH BECHAMEL ...
TRADITIONAL MOUSSAKA RECIPE WITH EGGPLANTS ... - MY GREEK DISH
GREEK-STYLE VEGETARIAN LASAGNA - OLDWAYS
THE BEST LASAGNA RECIPE - ADD A PINCH
GREEK SKILLET LASAGNA RECIPE | WE ARE NOT MARTHA
GREEK-STYLE LASAGNA | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
EASY PASTITSIO (GREEK LASAGNA) RECIPE - TABLESPOON.COM
AUTHENTIC PASTITSIO GREEK LASAGNA RECIPE
LAMB LASAGNA RECIPE | COOKING ON THE WEEKENDS
PASTITSIO RECIPE - GREEK LASAGNA | THE MEDITERRANEAN DISH
MOUSSAKA (GREEK BEEF AND EGGPLANT LASAGNA) | RECIPETIN EATS
MOM’S PASTITSIO (GREEK LASAGNA) RECIPE | THE SKINNY PIG
GREEK SALAD - AMANDA'S COOKIN' - VEGETABLES
GREEK STYLE LASAGNA RECIPE WITH ZUCCHINI AND EGGPLANT ...
GREEK PASTITSIO (BAKED GREEK LASAGNA) RECIPE - CHEF'S PENCIL
PASTITSIO: GREEK LASAGNA TRAY BAKE - DIMITRAS DISHES
PASTITSIO (GREEK LASAGNA) - MUCH BUTTER
PASTITSIO (GREEK LASAGNA) - HUNGRY HAPPENS
HOW TO MAKE PASTITSIO (GREEK LASAGNA RECIPE) - LYDI OUT LOUD
PASTITSIO, MY DAD'S AMAZING - GREEK LASAGNA | CHRISTINE ...
GREEK LASAGNA (PASTITSIO) - CRAVING TASTY
GREEK SAUSAGE LASAGNA - KOPIASTE..TO GREEK HOSPITALITY
THE 40 BEST GREEK RECIPES - GYPSYPLATE
GREEK LASAGNA (PASTITSIO) RECIPE + VIDEO - A SPICY PERSPECTIVE
GREEK LAMB AND FETA LASAGNA RECIPE | MYRECIPES
PASTITSIO (GREEK BEEF PASTA BAKE) | RECIPETIN EATS
GREEK SALAD LASAGNA RECIPE | MYRECIPES
HOMEMADE PASTITSIO (GREEK LASAGNA) RECIPE | EHOW
PASTITSIO RECIPE (GREEK LASAGNA) - COOKING FOR KEEPS
GREEK LASAGNA RECIPE - BOSSKITCHEN.COM
PASTITSIO (GREEK LASAGNA) - JO COOKS
GREEK POLENTA LASAGNA RECIPE FROM OHMYVEGGIES.COM
PASTITSIO - GREEK LASAGNA - DADS THAT COOK
SPANAKOPITA LASAGNA | MEDITERRANEAN DIET, HEALTHY GREEK ...
GREEK LASAGNA | GROUND TURKEY LASAGNA
GREEK LASAGNA (PASTITSIO) - MAKE AHEAD! - FOXES LOVE LEMONS
BEEF MOUSSAKA: OUR GREEK STYLE LASAGNA | EAT THE HEAT
PASTICCIO (GREEK LASAGNA) + VIDEO | SILK ROAD RECIPES
EASY GREEK ALFREDO LASAGNA ROLLS (VEGETARIAN) - COOKIN ...
BEST GREEK LASAGNA RECIPES AND GREEK LASAGNA COOKING IDEAS
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #main-dish #pasta #vegetables #greek #european #vegetarian #lasagna #dietary #one-dish-meal #pasta-rice-and-grains #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love