GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT
- This is the mincemeat I use all the time now.
- Don't peel tomatoes or apples.
- Core and chop in processor.
- Cook everything together slowly for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Bottle in sterilized jars and hot water process for 25 minutes.
AWARD WINNING GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT
This favourite of my dad's won me an award from the Ontario Greenbelt Fresh Association, and for good reason! Apples, pears, carrots and raisins team up with the unlikely candidate of green tomatoes for a deliciously tangy-sweet mincemeat. This is a vegan recipe, perfect for pie or tart fillings at Christmas and it freezes well, too!
Provided by YummySmellsca
Yield 5 quarts, 20 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered, 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Can according to water bath canner instructions.
- Alternatively, freeze: pack cold mincemeat into freezer jars or containers, leaving about an inch headspace for expansion. Seal and freeze promptly.
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT
This makes about 30 pints of mincemeat. Have on hand 30 pint canning jars with brand-new rings and lids. Reusing old lids is not recommended. A delicious way to use green tomatoes. The recipe came from my grandfather, and our family has been making it forever! Use straight from the jar for pies, cookies, muffins, or cake.
Provided by April
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a very large stock pot, combine green tomatoes, apples, suet (or oil), brown sugar, vinegar, chopped oranges, chopped lemons, raisins, and candied peel. Season with salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Cover, and cook over low heat for 3 hours.
- Sterilize 30 (1 pint) canning jars and lids according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Ladle filling into the sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Wipe the jar with a clean, damp cloth. Cover with jars with lids, and screw on jar rings.
- Heat water in a hot water canner. Place jars in rack, and slowly lower jars into canner. The water should cover the jars completely, and should be hot but not boiling. Bring water to a boil, and process for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 179.3 calories, Carbohydrate 42.1 g, Cholesterol 1.3 mg, Fat 2 g, Fiber 2.3 g, Protein 0.9 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 126.3 mg, Sugar 32 g
GREEN TOMATO MOCK MINCEMEAT PIE
This recipe is 'The Holidays' for me. I remember the smell filling the house 60 years ago when my mom was cooking it. At the end of the tomato season, when the remaining tomatoes in the garden will not ripen, this is a great use for them. A note from my mother: I put a heaping teaspoon of tapioca on the bottom crust before I fill it. It will absorb some of the liquid.
Provided by TopDog
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Combine tomatoes, apples, brown sugar, raisins, vinegar, butter, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves together in a large saucepan; cook and stir over medium-low heat until bubbling and slightly reduced in volume, about 25 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and cool slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Press 1 pie crust into a 9-inch pie dish.
- Pour green tomato filling into the pie crust; top with the second pie crust, crimping the edges together to seal.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Decrease oven temperature to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and continue baking until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 402.2 calories, Carbohydrate 62.2 g, Cholesterol 3.8 mg, Fat 16.6 g, Fiber 3.3 g, Protein 3.8 g, SaturatedFat 4.7 g, Sodium 404.8 mg, Sugar 37.9 g
More about "green tomato mincemeat recipes"
HOMEMADE GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT RECIPE - TURNING …
5/5 (1)Total Time 2 hrs 30 minsCategory DessertCalories 241 per serving
- Slice green tomatoes thinly and layer in a colander, salting the slices as you layer them. Let them sit at room temperature over the sink or a bowl anywhere from 3 hours to overnight.
- Rinse the tomatoes with cold water and drain well. You can squeeze out some of the excess water by hand if you want.
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
Calcium 23mg 2%Estimated Reading Time 1 minCalories 95 See details »
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT RECIPE | MYRECIPES
- Combine tomatoes and 1 cup water in a stainless steel stockpot. Bring to a boil. Drain well. Add 1 cup water; return to a boil. Drain well. Add 1 cup water; return to boil. Remove from heat, and drain tomatoes.
- Combine tomatoes and remaining ingredients in stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour or until mixture thickens, stirring frequently.
- Quickly ladle mincemeat into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2- inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Cover with metal lids, and screw bands tight. Process in boiling-water bath 25 minutes.
- Note: For a mincemeat pie, combine 1 quart mincemeat, 1 chopped, peeled apple, and 1 tablespoon butter; mix well. Bake as any mincemeat pie.
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT PIE RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
Servings 8Total Time 7 hrs 55 minsCategory Holidays & Occasions, Thanksgiving
- Prepare the Mincemeat Filling: Bring apples, tomatoes, cranberries, bourbon, zest, apple pie spice, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over medium-high, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring often, until thickened, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool completely, about 1 hour. Stir in pecans. (Mixture can be made and chilled up to 3 days ahead without pecans. Stir in toasted pecans just before spooning mincemeat into piecrust.)
- Prepare the Crust: Stir together flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut butter and shortening cubes into flour mixture until mixture resembles small peas. Using a fork, gradually stir in 8 tablespoons ice water, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened and dough begins to form a ball and pulls away from sides of bowl, adding up to 2 tablespoons more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary. Turn dough out onto a work surface; divide in half. Shape and flatten each dough half into a disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap, and chill 1 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Unwrap 1 chilled dough disk, and place on a lightly floured surface. Let dough stand at room temperature until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle dough with flour, and roll into a 13-inch circle. Fit dough into a 9-inch glass pie plate. Spoon Mincemeat Filling into piecrust. Brush edge of piecrust with some of the beaten egg.
- Unwrap remaining chilled dough disk, and place on a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle dough with flour, and roll into a 12-inch circle. Leaving a 3-inch border around edges, cut out and remove leaf shapes from middle of dough circle using a small (about 1 1/2-inch) maple leaf-shaped cutter. Brush top crust with some of the beaten egg, and carefully place over Mincemeat Filling. Press edges of bottom and top crusts together to seal, and trim excess even with rim of pie plate. Make small diagonal cuts into dough around piecrust edge at 1/2-inch intervals, making small tabs. Gently place every other tab on adjacent tab so that it slightly overlaps. Brush leaf cut-outs with remaining beaten egg, and place decoratively on top of piecrust. Place pie on a rimmed baking sheet.
21 GREEN TOMATO RECIPES FOR USING UNRIPE TOMATOES
Estimated Reading Time 9 mins
- Fried Green Tomatoes. Fried green tomatoes are a classic. Simply slice green tomatoes that are fully sized but not yet ripened fully and coat each slice in egg and flour, cornmeal and breadcrumbs.
- Pickled Green Tomatoes. Pickling green tomatoes is a great way to make a tangy, slightly sweet, slightly spicy treat that can be used in much the same way as bread and butter pickles.
- Green Tomato Fritters. Another way to fry up those green tomatoes is in fritters. Simply combine fresh green tomatoes with a batter mix of your choosing – like the spiced chickpea flour and rice flour batter described in the recipe in the link below.
- Fried Green Tomato Burritos. You can add green tomato slices to a wide range of wraps and sandwiches. Why not mix things up a little and make some delicious fried green tomato burritos?
- Green Tomato Relish. No matter how busy you get in the kitchen cooking home-made meals each night, you may still find that you have too many green tomatoes to use up right away.
- Zingy Green Tomato Salsa. Another way to preserve your green tomatoes for longer, or simply to use up a lot of them in one go, is to make some green tomato salsa to accompany a wide range of different dishes – from burgers and sandwiches to wraps and tacos.
- Green Tomato Ketchup. If you are a “ketchup with everything” sort of family, then what better way to use up those green tomatoes than by using them to make this handy condiment.
- Green Tomato Shakshuka. You can use either green tomatoes or tomatillos in this shakshuka recipe. Sometimes also referred to as ‘eggs in purgatory’, this fiery dish combines eggs with a base mix of tomatoes, garlic, chillies, and other seasoning.
- Green Tomato Curry. World cuisine offers plenty of inspiration when it comes to making full use of the green tomatoes from your garden. Another idea for a flavoursome dish is to make some sort of curry from your green tomatoes.
- Green Tomato Chilli. You could also consider adding green tomatoes to a chilli. The recipe linked to below is for meat eaters, but you could easily also substitute the ground beef for a vegan and vegetarian friendly option, or omit the mince altogether and simply use some beans.
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT RECIPE, WHATS COOKING AMERICA
Cuisine EnglishEstimated Reading Time 2 minsCategory DessertTotal Time 1 hr 50 mins
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, cover the prepared green tomatoes with cold water; bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- Reduce heat to low. Add cider vinegar, apples, brown sugar, cloves, nutmeg, suet, meat, raisins, salt, cinnamon, and butter or margarine; simmer 30 to 45 minutes. Remove from heat; add rum or brandy to taste.
- It’s best to let mincemeat stand at least a couple of weeks before using. I store mine in the refrigerator. Freeze in air-tight containers for longer storage.
CANADIAN FOOD EXPERIENCE PROJECT CHALLENGE SIX: GREEN ...
5/5 (11)Category Christmas PreserveCuisine CanadianTotal Time 3 hrs 20 mins
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat, boiling gently, stirring frequently for 1 1/2 hours until mixture thickens
- Meanwhile, place 6 clean 500 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C)
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT • ADOPTED TOMATO CANNING
Servings 12Estimated Reading Time 2 mins See details »
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT RECIPE | OLD FARMER'S ALMANAC
2.5/5 (13)Servings 8Cuisine Pickles And PreservesCategory Desserts See details »
GRAND VIEW FARM: GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT RECIPE (AND COOKIES)
Author The Kelley FamilyEstimated Reading Time 1 min See details »
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT PIE RECIPE | SPICE HOUSE – THE ...
3.5/5 (4) See details »
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT - FARM BELL RECIPES
Author Sheri Blanchard See details »
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT PIE RECIPE – A HUNDRED YEARS AGO
Estimated Reading Time 1 min See details »
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT RECIPE – VINTAGE CLIPPING ...
See details »
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT - MINCEMEAT PIE RECIPES
See details »
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT | OLDFATGUY.CA
See details »
MEATLESS GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ...
See details »
11 BEST GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT RECIPE IDEAS | GREEN TOMATO ...
See details »
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT | RENEE'S GARDEN SEEDS
See details »
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT - BERNARDIN HOME CANNING ...
See details »
HOMEMADE MINCEMEAT FILLING / WATCH COOKING INSTRUCTIONS ...
See details »
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT - REAL FOOD - MOTHER EARTH NEWS
See details »
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #pies-and-tarts #canning #desserts #fruit #vegetables #canadian #heirloom-historical #holiday-event #summer #vegetarian #pies #dietary #christmas #new-years #thanksgiving #seasonal #inexpensive #ontario #number-of-servings #technique #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How many cups of green tomatoes to make mincemeat?So we don’t have an exact answer for you. In looking around at other green tomato mincemeat recipes it looks like you should aim for about 8 cups finely chopped green tomatoes and 4 cups finely chopped apples.
How do you make green tomato mincemeat pie?Our green tomato mincemeat calls for less alcohol, but we've made up for it with Bourbon-Pecan Ice Cream. Prepare the Mincemeat Filling: Bring apples, tomatoes, cranberries, bourbon, zest, apple pie spice, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over medium-high, stirring often.
What to do with green tomato mince meat?Using the plethora of green tomatoes Alberta is blessed to produce each year due to a short growing season and quick temperature drops, this mince meat cans well and stores for months. It is a great addition to cookies, tarts and pies. Those who try it, always love it.
How do you Make Mincemeat from tomatoes and apples?Mince or finely chop tomatoes and scald with two cups of boiling water to help soften the skin Mince or finely chop the apples and add to a large saucepan along with all the other ingredients Simmer for an hour stirring frequently to prevent the mixture from sticking.