MURGH MAKHANI (INDIAN BUTTER CHICKEN)
This is a simple home version of butter chicken, also known as 'murgh' or 'chicken makhani,' a popular dish in Indian restaurants. This is best served with naan, an Indian bread, or you can also serve this with basmati rice.
Provided by DHANO923
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Stir the yogurt and tandoori masala powder together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined; add the chicken and toss to coat evenly. Marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour. Drain and discard any excess marinade.
- Puree the onion, ginger, and garlic with the water in a blender until it forms a smooth paste; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken in the hot oil until lightly browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons in the skillet. Fry the onion paste in the hot oil until the moisture is mostly evaporated, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the garam masala and chili powder over the mixture; cook 1 minute more. Pour the tomato sauce into the mixture, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook another 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan along with the half and half; bring to a boil. Add the butter, fenugreek leaves, and salt; reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until the chicken pieces are no longer pink in the middle, 15 to 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 474.4 calories, Carbohydrate 12.9 g, Cholesterol 179.4 mg, Fat 30.4 g, Fiber 2.6 g, Protein 38.1 g, SaturatedFat 11.5 g, Sodium 1140.7 mg, Sugar 5.4 g
HOW TO MAKE MURGH MAKHANI
Murgh Makhni Recipe. Alfred Prasad, Head chef at Michelin-starred Tamarind in London's Mayfair shows how to make his special Murgh Makhni. A delicious grilled chicken dish, simmered in creamed fresh tomatoes flavoured with ginger, fenugreek leaves and honey. Delight in our Murgh Makhni recipe. courtesy videojug.com watch the video at http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-murgh-makhni
Provided by jas kaur
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 21
- Wash the Chicken.
- Take the boneless chicken thighs and wash them in cold water. Put them into a colander and pat dry with a kitchen cloth.
- Add the 50g of garlic and ginger paste to the bowl, along with half a teaspoon of salt.
- Using your hands to mix everything together in the colander, to make sure the chicken gets a really even coating of the mix.
- Put 65ml of natural yoghurt into a new bowl. Add half a tablespoon of oil and half a tablespoon of chilli powder.
- Whisk these ingredients together.
- Cover the chicken with the whisked mixture. Once again use your hands to make sure that the chicken is thoroughly coated in the mixture. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil and keep mixing.
- Cover the chicken in cling film and put it in a refrigerator.
- Leave the chicken to marinate for no less than 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, put the pieces of chicken on some greaseproof paper, and place under the grill for 10 to 15 minutes. There is no need to turn them.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and leave to cool for a few minutes. Then cut it into bite-sized pieces. Cover with cling film or plastic wrap and put it back in the refrigerator.
- Start by peeling and finely chopping 15g of ginger. Then heat 40ml of vegetable oil in a large saucepan, on a medium to high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the four sticks of cinnamon to the pan.
- Then, add the 5 cardamom pods.
- 5 cloves.
- and a few bay leaves.
- stir for a couple of minutes, then add the chopped ginger, cook for a further minute and add the 6 green chillies.
- Put the 750 g of fresh, whole tomatoes into the pan and stir. Turn the hob down to a medium heat and carry on stirring for a couple of minutes. Turn the heat down low and leave to sit for about a minute. Then add 100ml of water, put the lid on, and leave to simmer for about 25 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked to a purée.
- Take the pan off the heat. Remove any whole spices.
- Now you need to crush the tomato mixture into a paste like consistency. You could use a wooden spoon, but a blender is preferable. Blend until smooth.
- Use a sieve to strain the puréed mixture into the saucepan to get rid of any lumps. Add a little water to get all the mixture out. Put the pan on a high heat to bring it back to the boil.
- In the meantime, use the blender to grind about two thirds of the cashew nuts, that's 50g, into powder. Then add a tiny amount of water and blend into a paste.
- Once the sauce is hot and bubbling, add one tablespoon of tomato paste.
- Then the ground cashew nuts. Add a little water to the blender to get all the paste out.
- Add half a teaspoon of chilli powder.
- and a tablespoon of honey.
- and stir for about 3 minutes.
- Then add 50g of butter and stir until it melts. Next, a generous sprinkling of salt. Leave the sauce for about 5 minutes and then stir in one teaspoon of Kasoori methi, which are the ground dried fenugreek leaves.
- Leave the sauce gently bubbling over a medium heat and move onto stage.
- Finish the sauce.
- In another frying pan melt a little butter. Use a sharp knife to roughly chop the remaining third, or 25 g, of the cashew nuts and add them to the pan. Then, throw in the seasoned chicken tikka that you grilled earlier.
- Fry for about 3 minutes on a high flame.
- Add the sauce.
- Cover the chicken with the sauce. Then add 60 ml of single cream.
- Then stir the chicken and sauce together for about 3 minutes. It should be simmering while you do this.
- Decorate with a little drizzle of cream and serve with naan bread or rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 712.3, Fat 55.7, SaturatedFat 17.6, Cholesterol 143.4, Sodium 622, Carbohydrate 28.6, Fiber 4.4, Sugar 14.8, Protein 29
MURGH MAKHANI (DELHI STYLE)
- Rinse the tomatoes and add to a suitably sized saucepan with all remaining ingredients for the 'special tomato puree'.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool COMPLETELY.
- Once cooled, use a hand blender OR add to a blender and blend to a puree.
- Pour through a metal strainer and allow the liquid to collect on the bottom. Discard the remaining pulp and seeds.
- Soak the cashew nuts in ¼ cup of warm water for 15 minutes.
- Add to a mixer/ grinder along with the soaking liquid and grind to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat 6 Tbsp of the oil in a wide nonstick wok/ pan.
- Add the marinated chicken and toss immediately so that the chicken doesn't stick to the pan.
- Cook continuously on medium-high heat, stirring throughout.
- The liquid will be released from the chicken, allow this to be absorbed, with occasional stirring.
- Once the liquid has evaporated toss continuously till the chicken pieces are slightly crisp along the edges, still tender and completely cooked. Remove this chicken to a plate.
- Wipe down the pan and add the remaining 4 Tbsp oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the ginger-garlic paste.
- Cook briefly till softened.
- Add the Kashmiri chilly powder and allow a nice deep color to develop.
- Stir and add the prepared tomato sauce.
- Bring to boil and then simmer for 7 minutes.
- To a small dry pan, add the Kasuri methi and roast till fragrant. Crush this to a powder.
- When the sauce has thickened, Add the prepared cashew paste, butter, garam masala, and tandoori masala if using, dry roasted Kasuri methi powder, salt, and sugar.
- Now add the fried chicken to this gravy and cook for a couple of minutes.
- When the gravy is quite thick, add the cream. Stir through and remove from heat.
- To serve add a tiny drizzle of cream over the top and garnish with fresh coriander leaves (cilantro).
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 6
CHICKEN MAKHANI (INDIAN BUTTER CHICKEN)
Chicken Makhani is one of my favorite Indian dishes. It is a full flavored dish that complements the chicken well. It can be made as mild or spicy as you wish by adjusting the cayenne. Serve with basmati rice and naan bread.
Provided by MITCHMAN21
Number Of Ingredients 22
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Saute shallot and onion until soft and translucent. Stir in butter, lemon juice, ginger-garlic paste, 1 teaspoon garam masala, chili powder, cumin and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in half-and-half and yogurt. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat, and season with 1 teaspoon garam masala and cayenne. Stir in a few spoonfuls of sauce, and simmer until liquid has reduced, and chicken is no longer pink. Stir cooked chicken into sauce.
- Mix together cornstarch and water, then stir into the sauce. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 407.8 calories, Carbohydrate 15.6 g, Cholesterol 107 mg, Fat 27.8 g, Fiber 2.2 g, Protein 23.4 g, SaturatedFat 11.4 g, Sodium 523.4 mg, Sugar 5 g
HOW TO MAKE THE CREAMIEST BUTTER CHICKEN RECIPE BY TASTY
Butter chicken is a traditional North Indian dish also known as murgh makhani. The dish gets its name from the generous amount of butter (makhan) used in the recipe, but also from the smooth, silken, butter-like texture of the gravy used to simmer the chicken. Butter chicken is thought to have originated in restaurants in order to use up leftovers of tandoori chicken, an extremely popular dish. Like all Indian recipes, there are countless versions of butter chicken, all with nuanced variations. This is our favorite recipe for the Indian classic.
Provided by Katie Aubin
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 46
- Make the garam masala: Add the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom pods, blcak peppercorns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and nutmeg to a medium skillet. Toast over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant, but not burnt. Transfer the toasted spices to a plate and let cool.
- Transfer the spices to an electric spice grinder or mortar and pestle and grind into a fine powder. The garam masala will keep in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for several months.
- Make the ginger-garlic paste: Add the ginger, garlic, oil, and salt to a small food processor or blender and process into a smooth paste, scraping down the sides of the processor as needed.
- Marinate the chicken: In a large bowl, whisk together the 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste, 2 teaspoons garam masala, the turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander, salt, lemon juice, Kashmiri red chile powder, and Greek yogurt until well combined. Add the chicken and toss to coat, then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, but ideally overnight.
- Add the wooden skewers to a large baking dish. Cover with enough water to completely submerge, then soak for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to cook the chicken, arrange an oven rack in the highest position. Turn the oven to broil on high. Set a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet.
- Thread the chicken onto wooden skewers and set on the wire rack, spacing evenly. Broil for 15 minutes, until evenly browned and cooked through, turning the skewers every 5 minutes to ensure even cooking. Let cool slightly before removing chicken from the skewers. Set aside.
- While the chicken cooks, make the gravy: In a large, high-walled skillet, melt together the butter and the olive oil over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds, cardamom pod, bay leaf, cloves, green chiles, and turmeric and sauté for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Add 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste and cook for another minute, until fragrant. Add the ground cumin, Kashmiri red chile powder, ground coriander, and 1½ teaspoons of garam masala and stir for 1 minute, until well combined.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, cashews, and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring often, for 10-15 minutes, until the tomatoes are a deeper, dark red color and the cashews are soft.
- Transfer the tomato mixture to a high-powered blender. Add ½ cup water and blend until completely smooth, adding up to ½ cup more water if needed. If your blender is not high-powered, strain the gravy through a fine-mesh sieve after blending for a smoother texture.
- Wipe the pan clean, then return the gravy to the pan. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter, the sugar, and the cooked chicken. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, until the chicken is warmed through. Stir in the heavy cream and fenugreek and season with more salt to taste.
- Garnish the butter chicken with cilantro and serve with your choice of basmati rice, onion kulcha, naan, roti, or paratha.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 895 calories, Carbohydrate 51 grams, Fat 46 grams, Fiber 13 grams, Protein 75 grams, Sugar 18 grams
This is a cheat's version, fabulously flavoursome, extremely easy and quick and very low in fat!
Provided by stephaniecave
Yield Serves 2
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Place chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, ginger, garlic, chillis, chicken stock in a saucepan and simmer fairly briskly, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and reduced.
- Stir in the ground almonds, sugar and chicken pieces, heating through gently for about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the butter, garam masala and coriander.
- Serve straightaway, with some plain boiled rice or a naan bread.
More about "how to make murgh makhani recipes"
MURGH MAKHANI RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE MAKHANI MURGH
5/5 (3)Category MainCuisine IndianTotal Time 1 hr 15 mins
- Wash and clean chicken thoroughly under running water. Pat dry with a kitchen towel. In a mixing bowl put chicken pieces, add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garlic powder, ginger paste and lemon juice.
- Place a deep pan on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter). Once ghee is melt, add bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, aniseed, cardamom, and cloves. Stir for 30 seconds. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add ginger garlic paste and stir for about a minute till the raw aroma evaporates.
- Let's cook the chicken. Place a pan on highest heat. To check the correct temperature flick some water droplets into the pan If bead of water evaporates within 1 to 2 seconds of contact with pan, this is the correct temperature for stir frying the chicken. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of ghee.
MURGH MAKHANI RECIPE, CHICKEN MAKHANI GRAVY - YUMMY …
Cuisine PunjabiCategory ChickenServings 4Calories 425 per serving
HOW TO MAKE RESTAURANT STYLE BUTTER CHICKEN/ MURGH MAKHANI
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN MAKHANI RECIPE | CHICKEN MAKHNI KARAHI
BUTTER CHICKEN RECIPE | CHICKEN MAKHANI - SWASTHI'S RECIPES
TOP 11 FACTS ABOUT PANEER MAKHANI VS BUTTER CHICKEN ...
HOW TO MAKE AWARD-WINNING MURGH MAKHANI - BUTTER CHICKEN ...
20+ SLOW COOKER INDIAN RECIPES TO REFER TO IN 2022
AMRITSARI MURGH MAKHANI RECIPE BY ARCHANA'S KITCHEN
BUTTER CHICKEN (MURGH MAKHANI) - CAFE DELITES
MURGH MAKHANI RECIPE (RESTAURANT STYLE) - TASTED RECIPES
FINGER LICKIN' BUTTER CHICKEN RECIPE | LITTLE SPICE JAR
CHICKEN MAKHANI - BUTTER CHICKEN CURRY - THE CURRY GUY
BEST EVER BUTTER CHICKEN - MURG MAKHANI RECIPE, HOW TO ...
BUTTER CHICKEN (MURGH MAKHANI) - WILL COOK FOR SMILES
BUTTER CHICKEN (MURGH MAKHANI) - MASALA AND CHAI
SIMPLE BUTTER CHICKEN RECIPE | MURGH MAKHANI
HOW TO MAKE MURGH MAKHANI (INDIAN BUTTER CHICKEN ...
DHANIA MURGH MAKHANI RECIPE BY ARCHANA'S KITCHEN
BUTTER CHICKEN RECIPE | MURGH MAKHANI | HOW TO MAKE ...
HOW TO MAKE RESTAURANT STYLE BUTTER CHICKEN AT HOME ...
RESTAURANT STYLE BUTTER CHICKEN MASALA (MURGH MAKHANI ...
CHICKEN MAKHANI, HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN MAKHANI RECIPE ...
MURGH MAKHANI RECIPES RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
INSTANT MURGH MAKHANI RECIPE-BUTTER CHICKEN MASALA - FAS ...
THE BEST BUTTER CHICKEN RECIPE - MURGH MAKHANI - CARAMEL ...
HOW TO MAKE BUTTER CHICKEN RECIPE • CHICKEN MAKHANI ...
HOW TO MAKE MURGH MAKHANI - THE MINIATURE LIFE
PANEER MAKHANI RECIPE - SWASTHI'S RECIPES
DAL MAKHANI, MURGH MAKHANI AND OTHER MAKHANI RECIPES YOU ...
MURGH MAKHANI RECIPES RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST ...
CHICKEN MAKHANI RECIPE | MURGH MAKHANI CURRY | RESTAURANT ...
MURGH MAKHANI, MAKHANI CHICKEN, INDIAN BUTTER CHICKEN
RECIPE FOR MURGH MAKHANI - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
MURGH MAKHANI RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE MAKHANI MURGH | RECIPE ...
MURG MAKHANI RECIPE - EASY CHICKEN MAKHANI - INDIAN ...
MURGH MAKHANI RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE MAKHANI MURGH | RECIPE ...
AUTHENTIC BUTTER CHICKEN - MURGH MAKHANI RESTAURANT STYLE ...
HOW TO MAKE MURGH MAKHNI - YOUTUBE
MURGH TIKKA MAKHANI, INDIAN SPICED CHICKEN RECIPE - PUNJABI
AMRITSARI MURGH MAKHANI RECIPE - NDTV FOOD
You'll also love