IRISH BOXTY POTATOES
Traditional Irish potato pancakes, also known as boxty, are made with a mixture of mashed and grated potatoes for a texture that's part pancake, part hash brown. Serve with Irish Bangers and Sauteed Swiss Chard for a complete St. Patrick's Day meal.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Categories Food & Cooking Dinner Recipes Dinner Side Dishes
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Make the mashed potatoes: Bring a saucepan of water fitted with a steamer insert to a boil over medium-high heat. Peel and cut potatoes into 1-inch pieces; add to steamer insert. Cover and cook until fork-tender.
- Heat milk and butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl; mash potatoes using a potato masher. Slowly add milk mixture and stir to incorporate with a wooden spoon until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
- Make the boxty potatoes: Transfer 1 1/2 cups mashed potatoes to a large bowl; reserve extra mashed potatoes for another use. Add grated potato to bowl with mashed potatoes. Whisk together egg and egg yolk; add to bowl with potatoes along with milk and scallions and stir to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and pepper; add to bowl with potatoes and stir to combine.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, adding butter as necessary, add 2 tablespoons batter to skillet and gently spread to form a 2-to-3-inch round; cook, turning, once, until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Serve immediately with butter.
TRADITIONAL IRISH BOXTY: THE BEST EVER POTATO PANCAKES, WITH A TWIST (IRISH POTATO PANCAKES)
A wonderful and hearty Irish potato pancake recipe.
Provided by adapted by Christina Conte
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a small bowl, place the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed potatoes with the grated raw potato, then add the flour and mix well.
- Slowly add the buttermilk and stir gently (do not over mix).
- The mixture should be like a very firm, thick batter; almost like a dough, so add more buttermilk if needed (I just used 1 cup/8 oz).
- Heat a griddle or nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, and add a pat of butter, just before scooping out some of the boxty batter onto the pan.
- Flatten and shape into a nice, round pancake shape and fry until golden brown on the bottom.
- Turn and continue to cook until golden brown on top too, turning the heat down if they are browning too quickly (remember there are raw potatoes which need to cook).
- Continue to add a little butter and fry the boxty until all the batter is finished. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 253 calories, Carbohydrate 49 grams carbohydrates, Cholesterol 7 milligrams cholesterol, Fat 3 grams fat, Fiber 3 grams fiber, Protein 7 grams protein, SaturatedFat 2 grams saturated fat, ServingSize 2, Sodium 570 milligrams sodium, Sugar 3 grams sugar, TransFat 0 grams trans fat, UnsaturatedFat 1 grams unsaturated fat
Boxty is a traditional Irish dish made of potatoes. An old Irish rhyme goes: 'Boxty on the griddle, boxty on the pan; if you can't make boxty, you'll never get a man'.
Provided by Brooke Elizabeth
Categories Side Dish Potato Side Dish Recipes Potato Pancake Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Toss the grated potatoes with flour in a large bowl. Stir in mashed potatoes until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and skim milk; mix into the potatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drop in the potato mixture, forming patties about 2 inches in diameter. Fry on both sides until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 227 calories, Carbohydrate 29 g, Cholesterol 31.8 mg, Fat 10.3 g, Fiber 1.9 g, Protein 4.7 g, SaturatedFat 1.6 g, Sodium 121.4 mg, Sugar 1.1 g
BOXTY (IRISH POTATO PANCAKES)
Boxty, breadlike potato pancakes that originated in Ireland as early as the late 18th century, were created as a resourceful way to transform less-than-stellar potatoes into a hearty side dish. Variations of these crisp, chewy potato pancakes abound, but most involve some combination of mashed potatoes, grated potatoes, flour, baking soda or baking powder; buttermilk or eggs are sometimes added for richness. Popular in pubs but also made at home, they're typically served as an accompaniment to stews and rich meat dishes. This recipe is adapted from "The Irish Cookbook" by Jp McMahon (Phaidon, 2020), who serves them in a more modern fashion, with smoked salmon, sour cream and pickled onions, which balance and brighten.
Provided by Alexa Weibel
Categories brunch, dinner, lunch, weeknight, breads, vegetables, side dish
Yield About 12 pancakes
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Prepare the pickled red onions: Slice the red onion thinly from stem to stem, then transfer slices to a small heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer over medium, stirring occasionally, until sugar and salt dissolve, then pour on top of onions; set aside.
- Prepare the boxty: Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water; season generously with salt and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Peel half the potatoes, then cut them into 1-inch cubes, tossing the cubes into the water as you go. Once the water comes to a boil, continue to cook until potatoes are soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the diced potatoes boil, peel the remaining potatoes, then grate them coarsely using a box grater. Season the grated potatoes generously with 2 teaspoons sea salt and 1 teaspoon pepper, toss to coat, then transfer them to a clean, dry kitchen towel. Squeeze the grated potatoes over a sink to remove the excess liquid, then transfer them to a large bowl.
- Once the diced potatoes are soft, transfer them to a colander to strain, then transfer to the large bowl with the grated potatoes; mash until creamy, and mashed and grated potatoes are well combined.
- Pour the buttermilk on top of the warm potato mixture and stir briefly just to combine.
- Add the flour and baking powder and stir until thoroughly combined.
- In a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Working in batches, spoon in the potato mixture using 1/3 cup measure to form small 3- to 4-inch-wide pancakes, leaving at least 1 inch of space between pancakes. Cook until nicely browned on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining pancakes, adding more butter between batches as needed.
- Serve pancakes topped with pickled red onions, and smoked salmon and sour cream, if you like.
Boxty is essentially potato cakes using both grated and mashed potatoes. The word comes from the Irish bac-stai, for the traditional cooking of potatoes on the hob (bac) over an open fire (stai.) Margaret Johnson ("The New Irish Table") gives this recipe for a boxty from a restaurant in Killarney, County Kerry, using only grated potatoes. She recommends serving it with bacon and cabbage or Irish stew.
Provided by Chef Kate
Yield 16 potato cakes
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Line a large bowl with a piece of muslin or cheesecloth, or a clean linen towel.
- Using the large holes of a box grater, grate the potatoes into the bowl.
- Squeeze the cloth to extract as much of the starchy liquid as possible.
- Discard the starchy liquid, return the potatoes to the bowl, and stir in the onion, eggs, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat.
- Drop the potato mixture, 1 tablespoonful at a time, into the skillet; do not crowd the pan.
- Flatten each cake with a spatula and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned and crisp.
- Transfer the cakes to a baking sheet and keep warm in a 200-degree oven.
- Repeat until all the mixture is used, adding more butter as necessary.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 54, Fat 2.1, SaturatedFat 1.1, Cholesterol 27.1, Sodium 83.3, Carbohydrate 7.4, Fiber 0.7, Sugar 0.7, Protein 1.5
BOXTY (IRISH POTATO GRIDDLE CAKES)
An old poem about this fried bread says: Boxty on the griddle, boxty in the pan, if you can't make boxty, you'll never get a man. Serve with a tart apple sauce: or as part of an Ulster Fry, with fried bacon, fried sausage, fried eggs, fried black pudding, fried bread, fried soda bread. Best fried in baking drippings.
Provided by DeSouter
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Grate raw potatoes and mix with the cooked mashed potatoes.
- Add salt, pepper and flour.
- Beat egg and add to mixture with just enough milk to make a batter that will drop from a spoon.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a hot griddle or frying pan.
- Cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes on each side.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 159.1, Fat 1.2, SaturatedFat 0.4, Cholesterol 27.3, Sodium 97.7, Carbohydrate 31.7, Fiber 1.8, Sugar 0.8, Protein 4.9
More about "irish boxty potatoes recipes"
IRISH POTATO BOXTY RECIPE - IAN KNAUER | FOOD & WINE
Servings 10Total Time 1 hrCategory Potatoes
- Peel half the potatoes. Cut the peeled potatoes into 1-inch pieces. In a medium saucepan, cover half the potatoes with salted water and bring to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the cooked potatoes and force through a ricer into a bowl.
- Peel the remaining potatoes and grate with a box grater. Wrap the grated potatoes in a kitchen towel and squeeze as much liquid from them as you can. Transfer the grated potatoes to the bowl. Stir in the flour, milk, egg, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat half the butter over medium heat until hot, then cook the patties in batches, turning occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes per batch. Cook the remaining patties in the remaining butter. Serve with sour cream.
IRISH BOXTY POTATOES - FRAMED COOKS
Cuisine IrishTotal Time 25 minsCategory Side DishCalories 297 per serving
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT BOXTY - THE IRISH TIMES
BOXTY - IRISH POTATO PANCAKES
BOXTY - IRISH POTATO PANCAKES - VEGGIE DESSERTS
IRISH POTATO PANCAKE RECIPE - BOXTY RECIPE
IRISH BOXTY POTATOES RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
BOXTY - IRISH POTATO CAKES RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
TRADITIONAL IRISH POTATO CAKES - BOXTY
IRISH BOXTY | ST. PATRICK'S DAY RECIPES | POTATO RECIPES
BOXTY (IRISH POTATO PANCAKES) RECIPE | LAURA IN THE KITCHEN
IRISH BOXTY POTATOES SERVED WITH A SIDE OF EGGS OR SMOKED …
BOXTY (IRISH POTATO CAKES) | KITCHEN FRAU
HOW TO MAKE GOOD FECKIN’ BOXTY, THE IRISH WAY (IRISH …
TRADITIONAL IRISH POTATO BOXTY | VEGAN RECIPES | VEGANUARY
IRISH BOXTY RECIPE FROM GALLAGHER'S BOXTY HOUSE IN TEMPLE BAR, …
BOXTY, IRISH POTATO PANCAKE RECIPE
IRISH POTATO PANCAKES: HOW TO MAKE BOXTY AT HOME
BOXTY POTATOES - IRISH RECIPES - IRELAND: INFORMATION
BOXTY (IRISH POTATO PANCAKES) - THE DARING GOURMET
BOXTY IRISH POTATO PANCAKES | DONAL SKEHAN | EAT LIVE GO
BOXTY RECIPE (IRISH POTATO PANCAKES) | KITCHN
TRADITIONAL IRISH BOXTY | 12 TOMATOES
IRISH POTATO DISHES FOR ST. PATRICK'S DAY | MARTHA STEWART
IRISH BOXTY POTATO PANCAKE RECIPE - A SPICY PERSPECTIVE
QUICK AND EASY IRISH BOXTY RECIPE – (POTATO PANCAKES)
IRISH MEALS WITH POTATOES – GALAXY TRAINING
RECIPES - IRISH BOXTY | MICHIGAN POTATOES
HALLOWEEN IRISH PUMPKIN AND POTATOES BOXTY WITH FRESH SAGE
TRADITIONAL BOXTY IRISH POTATO CAKES - SEASONS AND SUPPERS
BEST IRISH BOXTY RECIPE: INSPIRED BY BRICIN IN KILLARNEY, IRELAND
BOXTY - IRISH POTATO PANCAKES - COOKING JOURNEY BLOG
PAN BOXTY | IRISH POTATO PANCAKE RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
MCGUIRE'S IRISH BOXTYS RECIPE - RECIPEZAZZ.COM
IRISH BOXTY RECIPE: A DELICIOUS AND TRADITIONAL IRISH FOOD
IRISH BOXTY - POTATO PANCAKE RECIPES
IRISH POTATO RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
NORTHERN IRISH CUISINE - WIKIPEDIA
HOW TO COOK THE PERFECT BOXTY – RECIPE | FOOD | THE GUARDIAN
BOXTY - TRADITIONAL AND AUTHENTIC IRISH RECIPE | 196 FLAVORS
IRISH BOXTY - THE KITCHEN MAGPIE
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love