KADDU (SWEET AND SOUR BUTTERNUT SQUASH)
This cozy vegetable main is an ode to earthy, maple-y fenugreek, a staple spice of Indian cooking that is a perfect match for the mild sweetness of butternut squash. Normally roasted, butternut squash is gently stewed here with ginger, onion, turmeric, tomatoes and brown sugar, bringing out a unique and addictive sweet-and-sour flavor. Kaddu is traditionally paired with puri, a type of fried bread, but roti, tortillas and even toast work well with this bright and hearty one-pot dish.
Provided by Priya Krishna
Categories vegetables, main course, side dish
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a large (12-inch) deep sauté pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the fenugreek seeds and cook until they start to sputter, which should be within seconds. Reduce the heat to medium-low and swirl in the turmeric. Add the onion and sauté until it just starts to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the ginger, chile powder and asafetida (if using), and cook for 1 minute. Add the butternut squash and salt, cover and cook until the squash is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, lime juice and brown sugar. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the tomatoes are soft but still retain their shape, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Taste and adjust the lime juice and salt according to taste. Garnish with the cilantro and serve warm.
I love gujarati style kadhi. It is more watery than Punjabi kadhi and I particularly like the sweet-sourness that is typical of gujarati cooking. This kadhi is great to eat with plain rice or khichdi.
Provided by SUSMITA
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Mix the water, yogurt, and chickpea flour together in a large saucepan until smooth; add the green chile peppers, ginger, sugar, turmeric, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil and then immediately reduce heat to low; cook on low 5 to 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil and ghee together in a small skillet over medium heat; fry the dried red chile peppers, curry leaves, cumin seeds, mustard seed, and asafetida powder in the the mixture until the seeds splutter. Stir the mixture into the saucepan with the cilantro. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 184.6 calories, Carbohydrate 18.9 g, Cholesterol 15.5 mg, Fat 9.1 g, Fiber 1.3 g, Protein 8.4 g, SaturatedFat 3.8 g, Sodium 100.2 mg, Sugar 14.1 g
- Preheat oven to 300ºF. Cut pumpkins in half and scrape out the insides (seeds + stringy bits). Cut each half into 3-4 inch pieces. Using a peeler, remove the rind. Place the pumpkin slices hollow side up in a single layer in a baking dish and cover with the oil. Pour the sugar on top (yes, all three cups!). Cover the pan with foil and bake for about 3 hours and 15 minutes (or until the pumpkin has caramelized into a deep, orange color). Note: after 2 1/2 hours into baking, baste the pumpkin pieces with the juices below and then continue baking for another 45 minutes or so. While the pumpkin is baking, prepare the yogurt and meat sauce. For the yogurt sauce, combine all the ingredients and keep refrigerated until ready to use. For the meat sauce, saute onions over medium high heat in a heavy bottomed skillet until golden brown (about 18 minutes). Add beef and saute, breaking up the pieces until the meat is no longer pink (5 minutes). Add remaining ingredients (except tomato paste and water). Blend in tomato paste. Add water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce, and simmer for 15 minutes. To serve, place the pumpkin on the bottom. Add yogurt sauce and then top with meat sauce. Serve!
More about "kadu deux recipes"
PUMPKIN RECIPES | COLLECTION OF 12 VEGETARIAN PUMPKIN RECIPES
Reviews 2Published 2022-06-07Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- Kaddu ki sabzi recipe – easy and delicious pumpkin recipe that can be made on regular days and also during Navratri or Ekadashi fasting. this kaddu sabzi is a favorite at home.
- Pumpkin bread – this is an easy one-bowl pumpkin bread recipe made from whole wheat flour. The recipe yields a moist pumpkin bread which is a vegan and a healthy pumpkin bread.
- Pumpkin soup – easy and tasty recipe of one-pot pumpkin soup. The recipe is more of an european style recipe and does not have any Indian flavors or taste.
- Poosanikai sambar – this is a delicious South Indian sambar variety made with yellow pumpkin. Its a no onion no garlic recipe.
- Avial recipe – a favorite recipe made from mix vegetables, coconut and curd. Avial is a traditional recipe of Kerala and an essential dish of sadya.
- Pumpkin erissery – a mild and tempered curry with light sweet tones made with pumpkin, cowpeas (lobia) & coconut. A Kerala traditional dish served during onam sadya.
- Kaddu ka halwa – sweet pudding made with pumpkin along with cardamom, melon seeds and dry fruits. this is a very easy recipe of pumpkin halwa. the whole halwa is made in the pressure cooker, saving time and energy.
- Khatta meetha kaddu – this is one of the easiest sabzi recipe that is made with pumpkin. In hindi Khatta means sour and Meetha mean sweet. The sourness coming from dry mango powder (amchur) and the sweetness coming from sugar/jaggery as well as pumpkin.
- Pumpkin kheer – a flavorsome, easy to prepare, traditional Navratri sweet dish made with pumpkin.
- Kaddu ka paratha – a quick, healthy and tasty flatbread made from pumpkin, herbs and spices. This is a nutritious recipe as these pumpkin flatbreads are made from whole wheat flour.
BEEF SHANK KåDU WITH FRESH VEGETABLES AND VERMICELLI …
KADDU KI KHEER RECIPE - EASY TO MAKE SWEET CUM …
HOW TO MAKE KADDU KI SABZI|PETHA SABJI RECIPE
KADDU KI SABJI RECIPE | KADDU KI SABZI | PETHE KI SABJI
KADDU PARATHA RECIPE | PUMPKIN PARATHA RECIPE | KADDU KA …
KADDU KI SABJI | EASY PUMPKIN RECIPE » DASSANA'S VEG …
EASY KADDU KI SABZI RECIPE - RANVEER BRAR
AFGHAN SAUTEED PUMPKIN RECIPE - KADU BOURANEE
KADDU KI SABZI RECIPE BY NIRU GUPTA - NDTV FOOD
RAJASTHANI KADDU AUR ALOO KI SABZI RECIPE - ARCHANA'S …
KADDU KA HALWA RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE KADDU KA HALWA …
KADDU DAL/ LAUKI CHANA DAL RECIPE 200K + VIEWS
KADDU KA DALCHA, KADDU DAL RECIPE - YUMMY INDIAN …
KHORESHT KADOO (KADU) RECIPE - UNIQOP ONLINE PERSIAN GROCERY
KADDU KA HALWA | SECRET RECIPE - YOUTUBE
SHRIMP KåDU | ANNIE'S CHAMORRO KITCHEN
KåDU (SOUPS~STEWS) | ANNIE'S CHAMORRO KITCHEN
KADDU KA RAITA RECIPE (PUMPKIN RAITA) STEP BY STEP + VIDEO
KAJU KATLI RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
KADDU KI SABZI RECIPE (KHATTA MEETHA KADDU) - FUN FOOD FROLIC
KHATTA MEETHA KADDU RECIPE - NDTV FOOD
KHATTA MEETHA KADDU RECIPE, HOW TO MAKE KHATTA MEETHA KADDU …
KHATTA MEETHA KADDU RECIPE | SWEET SOUR PUMPKIN RECIPE FOR FASTING
KADU MADURAM ARCHIVES - COOK WITH KUSHI
KADU RECIPES | ZAIQA
671 GUAM RECIPES: KADUN GåMSON | LIFESTYLE | GUAMPDN.COM
KADDU CHANNA DAAL| LAUKI CHANA DAAL DIFFERENT AND VERY TASTY RECIPE
KåDU | ANNIE'S CHAMORRO KITCHEN
BORANI KADOO | TRADITIONAL VEGETABLE DISH FROM AFGHANISTAN
AMERICA'S FAVORITE AFGHAN DISH - KADOO — HOME - AFGHAN …
ZUCCHINI FRITTATA (KUKU KADOO) - THE DELICIOUS CRESCENT
KADDU 18 RECIPES | PAGE 1 OF 1 |TARLADALAL.COM
KUKU KADOO, AN IRANIAN-STYLE FRITTATA WITH ZUCCHINI - EATING RULES
KADDU KI SABZI RECIPE (PUMPKIN SABZI) - SWASTHI'S RECIPES
KADU SOUP RECIPES | ZAIQA
277 EASY AND TASTY KADDU RECIPES BY HOME COOKS - COOKPAD
CHALLAW KADU (AFGHAN PUMPKIN WITH MEAT AND YOGURT SAUCES AND …
CHICKEN SOUP (KåDUN MåNUK) - ANNIE'S CHAMORRO KITCHEN
ZUCCHINI STEW WITH CHICKEN (KHORESHT KADOO) - THE DELICIOUS …
KADDU KI SABZI RECIPE (PUMPKIN SABZI) - SPICE UP THE CURRY
KADDU KI KHEER (PUMPKIN KHEER) » DASSANA'S VEG RECIPES
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook Kaddu?But cooking kaddu on a low heat is what makes this dish simply delicious. 1. Heat up a heavy bottom pan with oil. When the oil turns hot, add cumin seeds. The seeds will soon splutter, then add ginger and fry for 1 to 2 minutes till the raw smell goes off. 2. Add chopped onions or tomatoes and salt . Saute them well on a medium flame. 3.
How to make kaddu ki sabzi recipe?how to make kaddu ki sabzi recipe wash the pumpkin. in a pressure cooker or pan heat oil. add the fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds and fry for a minute on a low flame. now add the red chilies and fry for some 15 seconds. add the chopped pumpkin and all the dry spice powders except garam masala and dry mango powder. add the sugar or jaggery.
What goes well with Kadu bouranee?Sweet pumpkin goes really well with the tartness of tomatoes and freshness of the yogurt garlic sauce. In the Afghani restaurants based in the US and Europe Kadu Bouranee is sometimes served hot with some sort of meat sauce but in Afghanistan, the vegetarian version of the dish is preferred.
What is Kadu B bouranee?Kadu Bouranee is made of pumpkin or butternut squash sauteed with spices and topped with the yogurt garlic sauce. Sounds amazing, isn't it? Sweet pumpkin goes really well with the tartness of tomatoes and freshness of the yogurt garlic sauce.