GRANNY'S MAHOGANY CAKE AND FROSTING
This recipe, which is over 100 years old, was one of my grandmother's (she raised 11 children and three grandchildren) favorites. Anytime I serve this cake I get requests for the recipe.
Provided by Alice Mayo Edelhauser
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease and flour three 9 inch round cake pans.
- Place the sugar and butter in a mixing bowl, and beat until light colored and smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir the coffee and cocoa into the egg mixture until well blended. Measure the buttermilk, and remove 1 tablespoon, placing it in a separate small bowl, and set aside. Stir the remaining buttermilk into the egg mixture, beating until smooth.
- Stir the baking soda into 1 tablespoon buttermilk until smooth, and mix into the egg mixture. Stir in the flour, beating until smooth. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick or small knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, and cool in the pans about 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat 1 cup butter until smooth and creamy. Gradually sift in the confectioners' sugar, and beat until smooth. Stir in the coffee, cocoa, and vanilla until well blended.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread top with about 1/5 frosting. Place the second layer on top of the first, and frost. Repeat with the third layer. Use remaining frosting to frost top and sides.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 823.9 calories, Carbohydrate 111.7 g, Cholesterol 191.6 mg, Fat 40.3 g, Fiber 1.9 g, Protein 8.2 g, SaturatedFat 24.5 g, Sodium 450.2 mg, Sugar 85.5 g
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x12-inch baking pan.
- Stir buttermilk and baking soda together in a bowl until dissolved and foaming.
- Beat sugar and butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat the first egg into butter mixture until completely blended; beat in the second egg until incorporated.
- Whisk flour and cocoa powder together in a bowl. Beat flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk mixture, into creamed butter mixture using an electric mixer until batter is smooth. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool cake for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 176.9 calories, Carbohydrate 35.9 g, Cholesterol 23.4 mg, Fat 2.4 g, Fiber 0.7 g, Protein 3.5 g, SaturatedFat 1.3 g, Sodium 169.3 mg, Sugar 21.3 g
CLASSIC MAHOGANY SOUR CREAM CAKE
Serve our Classic Mahogany Sour Cream Cake for a special celebration or a memorable ending to a dinner party. Fill and frost this Classic Mahogany Sour Cream Cake with chocolate frosting to impress all of the chocolate lovers!
Provided by My Food and Family
Yield Makes 16 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans. Cover bottoms of pans with wax paper. Grease and flour wax paper; set aside. Microwave chocolate and water in medium microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1 to 2 min. or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after each min. Stir until chocolate is completely melted; cool completely. Stir in sour cream.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. Beat butter and sugars in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture alternately with the chocolate mixture, beating after each addition until well blended. Add vanilla; mix well. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans 10 min.; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks. Fill and frost with BAKER'S® ONE BOWL Chocolate Frosting.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 500, Fat 24 g, SaturatedFat 14 g, TransFat 0 g, Cholesterol 80 mg, Sodium 310 mg, Carbohydrate 0 g, Fiber 3 g, Sugar 0 g, Protein 5 g
MAHOGANY DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE
"I found this recipe hand-written on a piece of paper, tucked into an old recipe book I bought at a garage sale," notes Jamie Regier of Omaha, Nebraska. "It has since become one of my family's most-requested desserts."
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Coat three 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; set aside. In a bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Add water; mix well. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely., For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water, corn syrup and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat mixture on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until a candy thermometer reads 160°, about 5 minutes. Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add extract. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 368 calories, Fat 4g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 42mg cholesterol, Sodium 378mg sodium, Carbohydrate 80g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 6g protein.
1870 MAHOGANY CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Grease two 9-inch layer pans and line the bottoms with wax or parchment paper. Grease again.
- To prepare cake, heat 1/2 cup of the milk with the cocoa powder in a small pan, stirring until mixture thickens. Cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar together very well. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time. Beat in the cooled cocoa mixture.
- Stir in the vanilla, flour, remaining milk, dissolved baking soda and nuts. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold together. Spoon into prepared layer pans and bake about 25 minutes, or until done. Cool on a rack.
- To prepare frosting, place the sugar and water in a saucepan and heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Boil without stirring until sugar syrup reaches the soft ball stage or 238°F degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Add the salt to the egg whites and beat into the hot sugar in a steady stream. Beat in the corn syrup and cream of tartar. Beat in the vanilla and continue beating until mixture is spreading consistency. Use to fill and frost the layers. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
- The New York Times Heritage Cookbook.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 780.3, Fat 27, SaturatedFat 13.1, Cholesterol 153.5, Sodium 526.1, Carbohydrate 126.7, Fiber 4.5, Sugar 85.1, Protein 13.9
A delectable chocolate cake recipe passed down from my grandmother. Fill and frost with your favorite frosting.
Provided by Karen..
Yield 8-10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cook cocoa and 1/2 cup milk together until smooth and thick; cool and set aside.
- Cream shortening and add sugar slowly, beating well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add alternately with 3/4 cup milk to creamed mixture.
- Add chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Bake in two greased 9 inch pans at 350* for about 20 minutes.
- Frost and fill as desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 456.4, Fat 16.9, SaturatedFat 4.7, Cholesterol 84.7, Sodium 198.5, Carbohydrate 69.5, Fiber 1.6, Sugar 37.8, Protein 7.4
More about "mahogany cake recipes"
MAHOGANY CAKE RECIPE | LAND O’LAKES
4.7/5 (3)Calories 550 per servingServings 12
- Place sugar and 3/4 cup butter in another bowl; beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add cooled chocolate, eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla; continue beating until well mixed. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with 1 1/3 cups coffee, beating at low speed just until well mixed.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake 20-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely.
AMERICA'S FIRST CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE (MAHOGANY CAKE)
Estimated Reading Time 8 mins
MAHOGANY CAKE - KERALA-RECIPES-MEEMISKITCHEN
MAHOGANY CAKE RECIPE: CLASSIC CAKE WITH ERMINE FROSTING
5/5 (1)Category DessertCuisine AmericanTotal Time 1 hr 10 mins
MAHOGANY CAKE | FLOWERS-ART.QUEST
GRANNY'S MAHOGANY CAKE AND FROSTING | RECIPESTY
MAHOGANY CAKE - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
MAHOGANY CAKE RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
MAHOGANY CAKE - WOMAN'S DAY
JORJ'S MAHOGANY CAKE (THE LAVA LEGACY) | JORJ MORGAN COOKING
MAHOGANY CAKE RECIPE - OVENTALES
MAHOGANY CAKE RECIPE
MAHOGANY CAKE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
MAHOGANY CAKE – GOOD OLD RECIPES
MAHOGANY CAKE RECIPE BY ROBIN K. - COOKPAD
RECIPE: MAHOGANY CAKE | MIKE YANCEY
MAHOGANY CAKE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
MAHOGANY CAKE - YUM TASTE
MAHOGANY CAKE: A FABULOUS VINTAGE CHOCOLATE CAKE
MAHOGANY POUND CAKE RECIPE | RECIPELAND
MY FOOD TREATS: MAHOGANY CAKE
MAHOGANY CAKE - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
MAHOGANY CAKE RECIPE
MAHOGANY CAKE | RECIPE | CAKE RECIPES, MAHOGANY CAKE RECIPE, CAKE
MAHOGANY CAKE RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
MAHOGANY POUND CAKE – THE BEST FREE COOKING RECIPES
MAHOGANY CAKE RECIPE | COOKBOOK CREATE
RECIPE: MAHOGANY CAKE (RED DEVIL'S FOOD) (1932) - RECIPELINK.COM
MAHOGANY CAKE RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
ASTRAY RECIPES: MAHOGANY CAKE
MAHOGANY CAKE - BIGOVEN.COM
RECIPE OF ANY-NIGHT-OF-THE-WEEK MAHOGANY CAKE | SLOW COOKER …
PRIZE MAHOGANY CHOCOLATE CAKE - HOSTESS AT HEART
MAHOGONY CAKE - DARK CHOCOLATE CAKE - HEALTHY LIVING
MAHOGANY POUND CAKE RECIPE - BAKERRECIPES.COM
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #occasion #desserts #oven #easy #potluck #dinner-party #kid-friendly #vegetarian #cakes #chocolate #dietary #gifts #low-sodium #comfort-food #low-in-something #taste-mood #to-go #equipment
You'll also love