LAMB STEAK WITH LEBANESE SPICES
The Lebanese seven-spice mixture baharat (the Arabic word for spices) usually has a base of black pepper and allspice, along with coriander, cumin, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, but that's not set in stone. Sometimes powdered ginger, cardamom and hot paprika are part of the mix. There are often more than seven spices, and sometimes fewer. It is an all-purpose spice blend, good for adding depth to stews, and as a rub for meat. London broil is what butchers call a boneless piece of meat from nearly any cut that is broiled or grilled and then sliced before serving, almost like a little roast. A butterflied leg of lamb has four such pieces, and grilling each separately is easier than cooking the whole boneless leg. You can buy chops instead, but they usually cost more.
Provided by David Tanis
Categories steaks and chops, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Lay butterflied lamb leg on a cutting board and cut into 4 equal pieces, approximately 6 ounces each. Trim extraneous fat or gristle.
- Place lamb on a baking sheet and season on both sides with salt and the seven-spice powder. Sprinkle meat with sliced garlic and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Rub with your hands to coat, massaging the spices into the lamb. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour, or wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Put yogurt in a mixing bowl and season with salt. Stir in cucumbers, mint, grated garlic and crushed red pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Set aside.
- Put a large cast-iron skillet or stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add lamb steaks in one layer and cook for about 5 minutes, until nicely browned. Turn pieces and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more, until juices appear on surface, for medium-rare. Transfer lamb to a cutting board and let rest for about 10 minutes before slicing. (Alternatively, broil lamb or grill over coals.)
- While lamb is resting, put 2 tablespoons olive oil in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add chard and 1/4 cup water. Season lightly with salt. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until chard is just wilted. Remove chard from pan with a slotted spoon and transfer to a serving platter or individual plates.
- Carve lamb on the bias in 1/8-inch-thick slices, against the grain, and place next to the chard. Garnish with dill sprigs, if desired, and serve with a spoonful of cucumber-yogurt sauce. Pass the rest of the sauce separately.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 233, UnsaturatedFat 9 grams, Carbohydrate 14 grams, Fat 15 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 12 grams, SaturatedFat 6 grams, Sodium 865 milligrams, Sugar 7 grams
SWEET SPICED LAMB SHANKS WITH QUINCE
A cross between a Persian stew and Moroccan tagine, the spices in this slow cooked one-pot are mellow. Serve with rice, couscous or flatbreads
Provided by Jane Hornby
Categories Main course
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Season the shanks, then brown in the oil for 10 mins, or until dark golden all over.
- Meanwhile, in a casserole dish or large pan, melt the butter. Soften the onions for 10 mins on a medium heat until they're turning golden, then add the garlic. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
- Add the strips of lemon zest and spices to the onion pan. Cook for 1 min, then stir in the tomato purée, honey, stock and half the lemon juice. Sit the shanks in the pan, then poke the quince quarters in and around the meat. (It might be quite a tight fit, but the meat will shrink as it cooks.) Bring to a simmer, then cover with a lid and braise in the oven for 2 hrs.
- Remove the lid and cook for 30 mins more. Spoon away any excess fat. The sauce will be fairly thin, so if you prefer a thicker stew, remove the lamb and quinces to a serving plate, then boil the cooking juices until thickened. Season, add the lemon juice and serve with the lamb.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 624 calories, Fat 36 grams fat, SaturatedFat 16 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 14 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 11 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 59 grams protein, Sodium 0.4 milligram of sodium
MIDDLE EASTERN SPICED LAMB STEAKS WITH POACHED QUINCE
- Poach quince:
- Bring water, sugar, and lemon juice to a simmer in a 2- to 2 1/2-quart saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved, then add quince. Cut out a round of parchment or wax paper to fit just inside saucepan and cover quince directly with parchment or wax paper. Simmer, gently stirring once or twice, until quince is tender, about 35 minutes. Drain quince in a sieve set over a bowl and reserve 1/2 cup syrup for sauce.
- Cook lamb (10 minutes before quince is done simmering):
- Pat lamb dry. Stir together salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, and cinnamon in a small bowl, then sprinkle spice mixture all over lamb. Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Cook lamb 4 minutes, then turn over and cook 3 minutes more for medium-rare. Transfer lamb to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes.
- Make sauce while lamb stands:
- Reduce heat to moderate and add reserved quince syrup to skillet, then boil, scraping up any brown bits, until liquid is reduced by almost half, about 2 minutes. Transfer sauce to a gravy boat or small bowl and stir in lemon juice and salt to taste.
- To serve:
- Thinly slice lamb and serve with quince and sauce.
SIZZLING FLANK STEAK MIDDLE EASTERN STYLE
From an unknown cookbook that states that this goes well with cinnamon rice. Can be either grilled or broiled.
Provided by Oolala
Categories Southwest Asia (middle East)
Yield 9 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a shallow baking dish.
- Add the meat, turning once to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning the meat occasionally.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, reserving the marinade.
- Grill meat to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium.
- Transfer the meat to a platter and let stand about 5 minuted to stabilize juices.
- Meanwhile, strain marinade into a small saucepan and dicard the solids.
- Bring the marinade to a boil over high heat, 3-5 minutes.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Cut meat on the diagonal into thin slices and pour marinade over the meat. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 197.8, Fat 10.2, SaturatedFat 3.7, Cholesterol 68.5, Sodium 295.1, Carbohydrate 3.6, Fiber 0.9, Sugar 0.9, Protein 22.4
More about "middle eastern spiced lamb steaks with poached quince recipes"
MIDDLE EASTERN SHREDDED LAMB WITH CHICKPEA PILAF (RICE)
MIDDLE EASTERN SPICED LAMB | DINNER RECIPES | WOMAN …
LAMB STEAK RECIPE | TESCO REAL FOOD
ROAST LAMB WITH MIDDLE EASTERN SPICES - CHEF TARIQ
SPICED POACHED QUINCE RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
10 BEST GROUND LAMB MIDDLE EASTERN RECIPES - YUMMLY
MOROCCAN-SPICED LAMB RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
HOW TO MAKE SPICE-RUBBED LAMB STEAKS WITH POACHED …
MOROCCAN-SPICED LAMB SHOULDER WITH ONIONS AND …
MIDDLE EASTERN LAMB STEW - PURE GRACE FARMS
10 BEST MIDDLE EASTERN BEEF RECIPES - YUMMLY
MIDDLE EASTERN LAMB SKEWERS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
MIDDLE EASTERN LAMB MINCE FLATBREAD - KNIFE AND SOUL
TOM KERRIDGE'S MIDDLE EASTERN SLOW-COOKED LAMB - JAMES MARTIN …
MOROCCAN-SPICED LAMB CHOPS RECIPE - CHARMAINE SOLOMON
EASY MOROCCAN LAMB STEW RECIPE - THE MEDITERRANEAN DISH
ROASTED LEG OF LAMB - EVERY LITTLE CRUMB MIDDLE EASTERN SPICED
15+ MIDDLE EASTERN GROUND BEEF RECIPES (EASY & AUTHENTIC)
MIDDLE EASTERN SPICED LAMB STEAKS WITH POACHED QUINCE RECIPE
MIDDLE-EASTERN FLANK STEAK - LIKE MOTHER, LIKE DAUGHTER
MOROCCAN LAMB STEAKS WITH SPICY SAUCE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
MOROCCAN-SPICED LAMB STEAKS RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
MIDDLE EASTERN LAMB RUB RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
MIDDLE EASTERN LAMB STEAKS - COOKING UP JUSTICE
MIDDLE EASTERN LAMB SKEWERS RECIPE - MICHAEL SOLOMONOV | FOOD …
MIDDLE EASTERN RECIPES, CUISINE IDEAS & MENUS - EPICURIOUS
MIDDLE EASTERN LAMB STEAKS - GOOD HOUSEKEEPING
MIDDLE EASTERN SPICED LAMB | MEAT THERMOMETER | HYGROMETER
MOROCCAN LAMB STEW WITH QUINCE SAMBAL RECIPE | MYRECIPES
LAMB RECIPES: I HAVE LAMB STEAKS FOR DINNER AND I WANT A NICE SAUCE …
SLOW ROASTED MOROCCAN SPICED LEG OF LAMB - HEALTHY WORLD CUISINE
CHEF JOHN'S BEST MIDDLE EASTERN RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
MIDDLE EASTERN GRILLED LAMB CHOPS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
RECIPES FROM THE HIZZY: SPICED LAMB STEAKS WITH POACHED QUINCE …
BEST MIDDLE EASTERN LAMB RECIPES COMPILATION
MIDDLE-EASTERN-LAMB-WITH-QUINCE | AROUND ANNA'S TABLE
MIDDLE EASTERN LAMB STEW RECIPE - EATINGWELL
RECIPES/QUINCE.MD AT MASTER · DPAPATHANASIOU/RECIPES
MIDDLE EASTERN-STYLE FLANK STEAK - RECIPE - FINECOOKING
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love