MY MOM'S FAVORITE EGGPLANT PARM
This is a recipe I've been making for over a decade (Ahhh!). I used to make it for my mom when I was growing up. The eggplant is crispy, and salty, while the homemade sauce is a little sweet, and has lots of basil and garlic. Yumm.
Provided by Anastasia G.
Yield 6 portions, 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Ok. So. This is time-consuming but totally totally worth it.
- First you have to sweat the eggplant. Slice the eggplant into thin slices and layer the slices in a bowl after salting them generously but carefully. Try to make the salt evenly distributed. After they're salted, cover and set aside.
- While the eggplant is sweating, work on the sauce.
- Add some olive oil to the pot and heat. Then add in the chopped onion and garlic and a dash of salt. Cook until the onions soften a bit.
- Chop some of the basil leaves and add into the onion mixture. Stir, then add in the chopped fresh tomatoes, not the canned. Cook down until the tomatoes soften. Add salt to taste.
- Finally, add in the San Marzano tomatoes. Mix in sugar to taste. You want the sauce a bit on the sweet side, but not actually fully sweet. Just somewhere in between.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- While the eggplant is still sweating/your sauce is cooking down, prep the cheese. Slice the mozzarella ball into half then into thin slices, should be about 12 or so total.
- Get out a bowl of all purpose flour for dredging.
- Check your eggplant. there should be a pool of water at the bottom of the bowl, and the slices should have softened. You can choose to either pat the eggplant dry or not, I haven't found it to make a big difference other than that it's easier to coat it in flour before frying.
- Get out your favorite large frying pan, fill that boy up with olive oil, and turn the heat up to medium high.
- Dredge each slice of eggplant in flour and fry until golden. If they get a little darker, it's ok. Set each fried slice aside. I like to put them on paper towels to get some of the extra oil out.
- Once they're done, it's time to actually build the dish.
- Layer the slices, sauce and cheeses in a baking pan. I usually do the eggplant, sauce, parmesan, then mozzarella. You should be able to do two layers. On the top layer, add in single basil leaves between the basil slices.
- Bake at 350 for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and browned.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Eat. :).
MOM'S EGGPLANT PARM RECIPE - (4.7/5)
Provided by á-36898
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Peel & slice the eggplant into long slices. Bread in egg mixture and cover with breadcrumbs seasoned with garlic salt and fry in cooking oil. Layer in casserole dish as follows...jar sauce, eggplant, cheese and repeat until out of eggplant. Cover with foil and heat up at 350 degrees for about an hour. Cheese should be melted and sauce bubbly between layers.
More about "my moms favorite eggplant parm recipes"
FAVORITE EGGPLANT PARMESAN RECIPE (10 INGREDIENTS!) - THE ...
5/5 (6)Total Time 55 minsCategory DinnerCalories 471 per serving
- Cut the tops off the eggplants then cut them into 1/2″ thick slices. Lay them on the baking sheets, drizzle them with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and sprinkle them 1 teaspoon of salt. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
- While the eggplants are cooking, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium-sized pot. Add the onion and cook until it is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the tomato paste begins to smell fragrant. Add the crushed tomatoes and honey and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer until the eggplants are cooked.
- Spread 1 cup of the sauce in a 9″x9″ pan. Add a layer of eggplants, top with 1 cup of sauce and 1/3 of both the cheeses. Repeat 2 more times so that you have 3 layers.
MOM'S EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA RECIPE - MANGIA BEDDA
Reviews 6Servings 6-8Cuisine SicilianCategory Main Course, Side Dish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Begin by removing the bittern juices from the eggplant. Slice eggplant into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Salt the slices and place in a large bowl. Cover with water, place a plate on top of the eggplants and weigh down with a heavy object (I use a box of salt). Let sit for 30 minutes.
- While the eggplant is soaking, prepare the tomato sauce: In a large skillet heat olive oil and sauté garlic and red pepper flakes (optional). Add 2 cups tomato passata (tomato purée) and simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt, to taste, and a few basil leaves. Set aside.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a rectangular casserole dish. Spread a thin layer of breadcrumbs at the bottom and sides of the dish. Layer eggplant rounds, slightly overlapping the slices so that the bottom is completely covered. Spread 1/3 of the tomato purée over the eggplant, next add 1/3 of the shredded mozzarella and 1 tbsp grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano cheese. Top with 3 slices of mortadella and 2 thinly sliced hardboiled eggs.
SPICY BAKED EGGPLANT PARM - THE CHUTNEY LIFE
MY FAVORITE, SIMPLEST EGGPLANT PARM (YEP, THIS RECIPE IS ...
BEST EVER EGGPLANT PARM - COLEY COOKS
BAKED EGGPLANT PARMESAN - CONFESSIONS OF A FIT FOODIE
PARMESAN CHEESE – MY MOMS RECIPE BOOK
AUNT MARIE'S EGGPLANT PARMESAN STACKS - LYDI OUT LOUD
CRISPY BAKED EGGPLANT CUTLETS - MANGIA BEDDA
EGGPLANT PARMESAN - AKA AUBERGINE PARMIGIANA
EGGPLANT PARMESAN RECIPE | MYRECIPES
GRANDMA'S BAKED EGGPLANT PARMESAN - THE SEASONED MOM
MOM'S FAMILY FAVORITE EGGPLANT PARM — ALMONDS + ASANA
BAKED EGGPLANT PARMESAN (GF OPTION, VEGAN OPTION ...
LIGHTER EGGPLANT PARMESAN (NO FRYING, NO ... - SKINNYTASTE
MY FAVORITE DISH – EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA | GIANNI'S NORTH BEACH
MY MOMS FAVORITE EGGPLANT PARM BEST RECIPES
COOKING W/ GRADYSMOM: MY MOM'S EGGPLANT PARMESAN - YOUTUBE
EGGPLANT PARMESAN RECIPE - THERE'S JUST ONE MOMMY
EGGPLANT PARMESAN RECIPE - LOVE AND LEMONS
EGGPLANT PARMESAN RECIPE - THIS MOM CAN COOK
MOM'S MOUSSAKA - A DELICIOUS MEDITERRANEAN EGGPLANT DISH ...
EGGPLANT AND CHICKEN PARMESAN CASSEROLE - MY MOMS RECIPE BOOK
EGGPLANT PARMESAN RECIPE | MYRECIPES
EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA: THE DONADEO FAMILY RECIPE - A ...
BAKED EGGPLANT SINATRA FLORENTINE | WHAT'S COOKIN' ITALIAN ...
FAVORITE EGGPLANT PARMESAN RECIPE (10 INGREDIENTS!) - FOOD ...
QUICK & EASY EGGPLANT PARMESAN - HEALTHYGFFAMILY.COM
EGGPLANT PARM RECIPE | MYRECIPES
RECIPES FROM ANGELA'S KITCHEN: EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA
UNBREADED EGGPLANT PARM - COLEY COOKS
EGGPLANT PARM - EAT UP! KITCHEN
12 EASY EGGPLANT RECIPES - LOVE AND LEMONS
EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA – ANGIE'S OPEN RECIPE BOX
BAKED EGGPLANT PARMESAN RECIPE - SHE LOVES BISCOTTI
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to cook eggplant parmesan?Peel eggplant, if desired, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange half of the eggplant slices in a lightly greased 11-by-7-inch baking dish that's 1 1/2 inches deep. Layer half of the Parmesan cheese over eggplant, followed by 3/4 cup mozzarella and half of the spaghetti sauce.
How to cook eggplant parmesan with corn flakes?Instructions Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Pour melted butter into a 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Set aside. Place egg in a shallow dish. Set aside. In a separate shallow dish, combine corn flake crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Set aside. Peel eggplant and cut into ¾-inch thick slices. Dip each slice in egg and coat with crumb mixture.
How do you make eggplant casserole at home?Directions. In a large bowl, whisk together the 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, breadcrumbs, oregano, thyme, and season with pepper. Place the flour in a medium lipped plate or bowl. In another medium bowl, whisk the egg and milk together. Dredge an eggplant slice in the flour, then dip it in the egg,...
How long does eggplant Parmesan last in the fridge?Eggplant parmesan can be made and assembled up to 2 days before baking; it can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Did you make this recipe? I'd love to know how it turned out!