NASHVILLE-STYLE HOT FRIED CHICKEN
This version of Nashville hot fried chicken, adapted from Peaches HotHouse in Brooklyn, will make your tongue sizzle and fill your eyes with tears from a combination of cayenne and ghost chile powders. (The latter is one of the hottest chiles in the world, reaching 1,000,000 on the Scoville heat scale.) Note that the recipe calls for both granulated and powdered onion and garlic. Try to use both. The powdered stuff is stronger in flavor while the granulated has a little more texture to it. (However if you can't find both, either kind will work throughout the recipe.) The traditional way to serve this is on top of a piece or two of soft white bread, which helps mitigate the heat. A cold beer wouldn't hurt, either.
Provided by Melissa Clark
Categories dinner, lunch, main course
Yield 4 to 5 servings
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Prepare the brine: In a large bowl, whisk salt and spices in 2 cups boiling water until salt dissolves. Whisk in 6 cups ice water. The brine should be cold; if not, chill until it is. Add chicken pieces to the cold brine and chill for at least 12 and up to 24 hours.
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the very hot spice mixture. In another bowl, prepare the dredge: combine the flour, granulated garlic and onion, salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken pieces from brine, pat dry with paper towels and season with a light dusting of hot spice mixture. Dust pieces with dredge mixture. Reserve both the remaining hot spice mixture and the dredge. Let chicken rest in fridge, uncovered, for at least an hour for the coating to adhere.
- Pour 2 inches of oil into a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot with a cover. Heat oil to 325 degrees on a deep-fat thermometer. In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and 2 cups ice water to make egg wash. Dip chicken in egg wash, then coat with more dredge. Shake pieces lightly so any excess dredge falls off.
- Carefully place chicken in hot oil, about 3 to 4 pieces per batch. Cover pot with lid and let fry for 5 to 6 minutes, until golden brown on one side. Remove lid and flip pieces. Fry another 5 to 6 minutes, uncovered. Using tongs, transfer cooked chicken to a wire rack set over a baking sheet to catch the oil drips. Dust with very hot spice as it comes out of the fryer.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 1079, UnsaturatedFat 33 grams, Carbohydrate 79 grams, Fat 52 grams, Fiber 9 grams, Protein 73 grams, SaturatedFat 15 grams, Sodium 1033 milligrams, Sugar 7 grams, TransFat 0 grams
CHEF JOHN'S NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN
If you've never had Nashville Hot Chicken, we're talking about an ultra-crispy fried chicken doused with a cayenne-infused glaze, and by 'glaze' I mean melted butter and lard. For the record, I've never been to Nashville, so I can't tell you how authentic this is, but it works for me, and is fairly easy to pull off.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Toss chicken pieces with 1 tablespoon kosher salt. Transfer chicken to a bowl; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Whisk buttermilk, pickle brine, hot sauce, and egg together in a mixing bowl. Pour marinade over chicken and stir to ensure each piece is thoroughly coated. Cover and let chicken marinate in refrigerator 2 to 4 hours.
- Mix flour and salt together in a shallow flat dish. Remove chicken from marinade and blot with paper towels. Reserve marinade. Toss chicken in flour until thoroughly coated. Return chicken to marinade, coating all sides; remove chicken from marinade allowing excess to drip back into the bowl. Coat the chicken once again in flour mixture. Place on a rack. Repeat with all chicken pieces. Allow to sit out about 15 minutes to allow coating to dry out a bit.
- Place butter and lard in a large pot. Add cayenne pepper, brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, kosher salt, and black pepper. Place over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until fats melt. Remove from heat; keep sauce warm.
- Fill cast iron skillet about 1/3 of the way with vegetable oil. Heat oil to 350 degrees F over medium-high heat. Carefully place chicken into hot oil, skin side down. Maintain an oil temperature of 325 degrees F, adjusting heat as need. Fry until instant read thermometer reads 160 degrees F, 8 to 10 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to a rack to drain. Brush with the sauce on both sides.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1114.9 calories, Carbohydrate 74.5 g, Cholesterol 258.2 mg, Fat 66 g, Fiber 3.3 g, Protein 53.9 g, SaturatedFat 22.8 g, Sodium 3754.8 mg, Sugar 7 g
THREE PIECE NASHVILLE HOT FRIED CHICKEN
- For the Nashville hot sauce: Combine chicken stock, brown sugar, cayenne, Carolina reaper powder, if using, chili powder, paprika, salt, Scotch bonnets, anchos, guajillos and scorpion chiles, if using, in a saucepan. Boil and reduce by half, then let cool. Puree in blender, then add mustard and combine. Slowly add melted fat.
- For the brine: Mix 1 gallon water with 1 cup salt in a large container. Submerge the chicken pieces in the brine and let sit overnight, refrigerated.
- Drain the chicken and cover in buttermilk, then let sit overnight.
- For the fried chicken: Combine the flour, masa, cornstarch, celery salt, coriander, seafood seasoning, salt and pepper in a big bowl. Toss in chicken parts and coat well, then let rest, refrigerated, for 30 minutes.
- Bring oil to 300 degrees F in a deep-fryer.
- Fry chicken in batches until it reaches internal temperture of 160 degrees F, about 20 minutes. Toss in bowl with Nashville Hot Sauce.
- For the biscuits: Meanwhile, grate butter with a cheese grater, then freeze again.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, baking soda and shortening in a bowl, then freeze, 3 hours.
- Mix frozen butter, dry mixture and buttermilk together in a large bowl until dough comes together, then lay out on a floured surface and roll out to about 2 inches thick. Fold into thirds, then repeat the rolling and folding 3 more times. Cut into 20 biscuits and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze for 3 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Take biscuits out of freezer and sprinkle with salt. Bake for about 15 minutes.
NASHVILLE-STYLE HOT CHICKEN SANDWICH
- In a large heat-resistant bowl, whisk together the cayenne, brown sugar, chile powder, granulated garlic, paprika, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Sprinkle the spice mixture on all sides of the chicken. Transfer the chicken to a container and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours. Leave the remaining spice mixture in the bowl.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil until a deep-fry thermometer inserted in the oil registers 350 degrees F. Position a wire rack on a baking sheet.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, hot sauce and eggs in a shallow bowl. Put the flour in a second bowl and season with salt and pepper. Dunk the chicken first in the buttermilk mixture, then dredge in the seasoned flour and coat thoroughly. Gently drop the chicken into the oil, in batches if necessary, and fry until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the cooked chicken to the wire rack.
- Carefully add about 1 large ladleful (6 to 8 ounces) of the frying oil to the reserved spice mixture to let it bloom. Be careful, as it will bubble aggressively. Whisk until smooth. Brush the fried chicken with the bloomed spiced oil as desired.
- For the sandwich build: Meanwhile, halve the Hawaiian rolls, spread with butter and toast on a griddle. Put the hot chicken on the griddled buns, top with pickles, lettuce and a schmear of mayo.
BAKED NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN BREASTS
- Mix water, 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup sugar, and hot sauce together in a large bowl until sugar and salt are dissolved into the brine. Place chicken pieces in the brine and refrigerate, 30 minutes to 1 hour. Pour brine from the bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place a baking rack onto a baking sheet and coat rack with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and black pepper in a shallow bowl until coating is well mixed. Press chicken pieces into the coating until both sides are evenly coated; place on the prepared rack.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Spray each chicken piece with cooking spray; flip and spray the other side. Continue baking until chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat until shimmering. Mix 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder together in a bowl; add to oil and cook for 30 seconds. Brush oil mixture onto cooked chicken, adding more layers for extra heat.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 394.5 calories, Carbohydrate 38.7 g, Cholesterol 67.2 mg, Fat 13.7 g, Fiber 1.6 g, Protein 28.2 g, SaturatedFat 2.5 g, Sodium 6856.8 mg, Sugar 13.6 g
AIR-FRYER NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN
I live in Tennessee and absolutely love our state's famous Nashville hot chicken. To make cooking it easier, I thought I'd try air-frying. I'm so glad I did-this Nashville hot chicken recipe is almost better than the original. -April Lane, Greeneville, Tennessee
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 16
- In a bowl or shallow dish, combine 1 tablespoon pickle juice, 1 tablespoon hot sauce and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add chicken and turn to coat. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour. Drain, discarding any marinade., Preheat air fryer to 375°. In a shallow bowl, mix flour, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. In another shallow bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk, and the remaining 1 tablespoon pickle juice and 1 tablespoon hot sauce. Dip chicken in flour to coat both sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then again in flour mixture., In batches, arrange chicken in a single layer on well-greased tray in air-fryer basket; spritz with cooking spray. Cook until golden brown, 5-6 minutes. Turn; spritz with cooking spray. Cook until golden brown, 5-6 minutes longer., Whisk together oil, cayenne pepper, brown sugar and seasonings; pour over hot chicken and toss to coat. Serve with pickles.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 413 calories, Fat 21g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 96mg cholesterol, Sodium 170mg sodium, Carbohydrate 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 39g protein.
RESTAURANT VS HOMEMADE NASHVILLE-STYLE HOT CHICKEN RECIPE BY TASTY
Here's what you need: cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, mustard powder, black pepper, onion powder, bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, chicken drumsticks, salt, light brown sugar, canola oil, buttermilk, louisiana hot sauce, flour, oil, white bread, dill pickles
Provided by Rie McClenny
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 17
- In a medium bowl, combine cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, mustard powder, black pepper, and onion powder, and mix well.
- In a large bowl, place chicken and pat dry. Add 5 tablespoons of the spice mix and salt, and mix well, making sure all the chicken is fully coated. Cover with plastic wrap and rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, up to 24 hours.
- In a small saucepan, combine canola oil, 2 tablespoons of the spice mix, and brown sugar over medium heat and stir until the brown sugar dissolves, about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, add the buttermilk and hot sauce, and mix well.
- Dredge each piece of chicken into the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip them into the buttermilk mixture, then back into the flour.
- Heat oil to 325°F (170°C) in a deep pot.
- Fry 3-4 chicken pieces at a time, making sure to not overcrowd the pot, for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer the fried chicken to a wire rack over a baking sheet and brush with the spicy oil Dust with the remaining spice mixture.
- Place on a slice of white bread and top with dill pickle.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1129 calories, Carbohydrate 110 grams, Fat 49 grams, Fiber 6 grams, Protein 58 grams, Sugar 44 grams
More about "nashville style hot fried chicken recipes"
NASHVILLE STYLE HOT FRIED CHICKEN - FROM A CHEF'S KITCHEN
4.6/5 (60)Total Time 25 hrsCategory Chicken And TurkeyCalories 1429 per serving
- MARINADE: Whisk marinade ingredients together in a small bowl. Place the chicken in a zipper-top bag and pour the marinade over the chicken. Seal the bag and rub to coat the chicken. (Double bag if the marinade aroma is strong.) Refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.
- BATTER: You'll need three bowls. In one bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper and 2 teaspoons salt. In the second bowl, combine remaining 4 cups flour, 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper, 2 teaspoons salt, paprika and garlic powder. In the third bowl, whisk together buttermilk and hot sauce.
- FRY: Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat with paper towels to remove excess marinade. Discard the marinade.
- In a deep fryer or large, deep cast iron pot, heat at least 3 inches of vegetable oil to 335 degrees. Set a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Depending on the size of your deep fryer or pot, you may need to fry in batches. If so, preheat oven to 175 degrees.
NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4.3/5 (30)Total Time 5 hrs 10 minsCategory Dinner, EntreeCalories 1035 per serving
NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN RECIPE
NASHVILLE HOT FRIED CHICKEN TENDERS - FEAST AND FARM
NASHVILLE STYLE HOT CHICKEN SPICE MIX RECIPE - ABRA'S …
BEST NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN RECIPE - DELISH
MIND-BLOWING NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN RECIPE | A SPICY …
NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN (SPICY FRIED CHICKEN) - CARLSBAD …
NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN RECIPE - CHILI PEPPER MADNESS
NASHVILLE-STYLE HOT CHICKEN RECIPE | TASTING TABLE
4.3/5 (41)Total Time 21 hrs 32 minsCategory Main Course, Side DishCalories 1422 per serving
NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN RECIPE | EATINGWELL
NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN - COOKING WITH COCKTAIL RINGS
NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN KFC RECIPE (COPYCAT) - RECIPES.NET
HATTIE B'S NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN RECIPE (STEP-BY-STEP) • THE GOOD ...
NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN - EASY CHICKEN RECIPES
NASHVILLE FRIED CHICKEN SANDWICH BEST RECIPES
NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN TENDERS – THE COMFORT OF COOKING
NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN SANDWICH RECIPE - AN EDIBLE MOSAIC™
AUTHENTIC NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN RECIPE - MASHED.COM
THE EASIEST NASHVILLE HOT FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE - BACON IS MAGIC
NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN RECIPE (BETTER THAN HATTIE B’S!)
HOW TO MAKE NASHVILLE-STYLE HOT CHICKEN - FOOD REPUBLIC
NASHVILLE FRIED CHICKEN - RASA MALAYSIA
OVEN FRIED NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN | A WICKED WHISK
NASHVILLE STYLE FRIED CHICKEN - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
NASHVILLE UN-FRIED HOT CHICKEN - THE DEFINED DISH
THE BEST NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN SANDWICH - WELL SEASONED STUDIO
BAKED NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN - EATS BY THE BEACH
THE BEST KFC COPYCAT NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN- BAKING BEAUTY
NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN WINGS - GIMME DELICIOUS
NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN STRIPS - HOMEMADE FAMILY-STYLE MEALS
BEST NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
NASHVILLE HOT FRIED CHICKEN | HOT FRIED CHICKEN | FRIED …
NASHVILLE-STYLE HOT CHICKEN SANDWICH RECIPE - LITTLE SUNNY KITCHEN
NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN | CLASSIC SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN...WITH A SPICY …
THE BEST NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN SEASONING MIX | MONTANA HAPPY
NASHVILLE STYLE HOT CHICKEN - THECOOKFUL
OVEN-FRIED NASHVILLE-STYLE HOT CHICKEN RECIPE - LOS ANGELES TIMES
HOW TO MAKE NASHVILLE-STYLE HOT CHICKEN - DIYJOY.COM
NASHVILLE STYLE HOT FRIED CHICKEN - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
You'll also love