- Heat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Melt butter and saute onion and barley.
- Pour mixture into a casserole dish.
- Add rest of ingredients.
- Cook 1 hour covered.
SIMPLE BARLEY CASSEROLE
- Pre heat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Melt butter in a pan and saute onion and barley until toasted then put in a casserole dish.
- Add everything else and cook 1 hour covered.
- Uncover, and bake 20 more minutes or until liquid is gone.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 195.2, Fat 7.2, SaturatedFat 4, Cholesterol 15.3, Sodium 685.5, Carbohydrate 26.9, Fiber 6.2, Sugar 2.4, Protein 7.1
ONION BARLEY CASSEROLE
MY HUSBAND and I grew up on plain hearty foods, and we both learned early on that simple food, well prepared, maintains good health. I always felt I was giving my family the best when I prepared this dish. They loved the nutty flavor and chewy texture of the barley, and it was a delicious departure from rice as a side dish.-Elaine Kremenak Grants Pass, Oregon
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 2-4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In an ovenproof skillet, saute barley in oil until golden brown. Stir in water, bouillon and salt; bring to boil. Remove from the heat; add onions and mushrooms. , Cover and bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until barley is tender.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 131 calories, Fat 4g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 453mg sodium, Carbohydrate 22g carbohydrate (1g sugars, Fiber 5g fiber), Protein 3g protein.
SCALLOPED BARLEY CASSEROLE
Bacon and cheddar mix with creamy barley for a decadent casserole.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Put the bacon in a cold skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 7 minutes. Transfer the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Add the butter to the same skillet with the bacon fat and cook, stirring, until melted. Add the garlic and onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the barley and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a couple turns of pepper. Stir in the chicken broth and heavy cream. Bring to a boil and cook until the liquid begins to thicken slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in the bacon and 3/4 cup of the Cheddar. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake until the casserole is bubbling, about 25 minutes. Remove the foil and stir. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Cheddar and bake, uncovered, until the cheese is melted and most of the liquid is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
MUSHROOM BARLEY CASSEROLE
A dear friend shared this recipe with me years ago. My family enjoys it with meat dishes as a substitute for potatoes. It's great to take to a potluck for a dish to pass, but be prepared to also pass along the recipe! -Melba Cleveland, Groveland, California
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a small skillet, saute barley and onion in butter for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Stir in the mushrooms, almonds, soup mix and parsley. Add 3 cups broth. , Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until barley is tender, adding more broth if needed.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 238 calories, Fat 13g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 17mg cholesterol, Sodium 720mg sodium, Carbohydrate 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 6g fiber), Protein 7g protein.
BARLEY CASSEROLE WITH MUSHROOMS
Serve this barley casserole with beef, chicken, or fish instead of rice or potatoes. It's simple to put together and bakes in the oven along with the beef, chicken, or fish. Saves time and energy when you can bake two or more dishes at the same time.
Provided by PJ's kitchen
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a covered casserole dish with butter.
- Heat 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion and celery until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add barley and cook until slightly brown, about 5 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth and mushrooms into the prepared casserole dish. Spoon in barley mixture and blend well.
- Bake in the preheated oven until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender, 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 313.1 calories, Carbohydrate 53.8 g, Cholesterol 17.2 mg, Fat 7.6 g, Fiber 12.7 g, Protein 9.6 g, SaturatedFat 4 g, Sodium 479.9 mg, Sugar 2.1 g
PEARL BARLEY CASSEROLE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a 1 1/2-quart Dutch oven or oven-safe pot over medium heat and cook onion until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Add celery and cook until starting to soften, stirring often, about 5 more minutes. Mix barley into the vegetables and stir until coated with butter. Fold mushrooms and green pepper into barley mixture; season to taste with salt and black pepper. Pour chicken broth into barley mixture and bring to a boil; cover casserole dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until barley is nearly tender, about 30 minutes; uncover casserole dish and bake barley until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 more minutes. Adjust salt and black pepper before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 290.8 calories, Carbohydrate 46.5 g, Cholesterol 22.9 mg, Fat 9.6 g, Fiber 9.9 g, Protein 7.7 g, SaturatedFat 5.7 g, Sodium 96.6 mg, Sugar 4.1 g
- Slice the mushroom caps and chop the stems. Heat the butter in a skillet and add the chopped onion. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes and add the mushrooms. Cook another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the barley and brown it lightly, mixing it well with the onions and mushrooms. Season to taste with salt and pepper and pour into a buttered casserole. Add enough boiling broth to cover the mixture and come 1/2" above it. Cover the casserole tightly and bake in a 350°F. oven for 25 minutes. Taste the barley for doneness. Add more broth, if necessary, and continue cooking until the liquid is absorbed and the barley tender. Serve as an accompaniment to duck, game, goose, squab and other kinds of poultry - wherever you would use wild rice.
- Add finely slivered buttered almonds to the barley just before serving.
- Cook chicken gizzards in a well-seasoned broth and use the broth to cook the barley. Add the thinly sliced gizzards at the last minute.
- Add sautéd chicken livers and some chopped fresh parsley to the barley casserole just before serving.
- Substitute 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions for the onion and add 1/4 cup finely chopped celery and 3/4 cup thinly sliced water chestnuts. Season the broth with a few dashes of soy sauce. Serve this oriental version of barley casserole topped with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
More about "onion barley casserole recipes"
BARLEY CASSEROLE - THE SOUTHERN LADY COOKS
5/5 (2)Category Side DishCuisine AmericanTotal Time 1 hr 20 mins
- Heat butter in saucepan, add barley and onion and saute till golden color. Add almonds, dry onion soup and chicken broth. Saute mushrooms a few minutes in a little butter and add to barley along with water chestnuts and liquid drained from canned mushrooms.
- Stir well, turn into a greased casserole. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour adding more liquid if needed.
ONION BARLEY CASSEROLE PHOTOS RECIPE
BARLEY VEGETABLE CASSEROLE RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
BARLEY CASSEROLE - PLAIN.RECIPES
BARLEY CASSEROLE VEGETARIAN BEST RECIPES
BARLEY CASSEROLE RECIPE - LOS ANGELES TIMES
RECIPE: BARLEY CASSEROLE - RECIPELINK.COM
BARLEY CASSEROLE - NOW....YOU'RE COOKING! RECIPES
10 BEST PEARL BARLEY CASSEROLE RECIPES | YUMMLY
CROCKPOT BARLEY CASSEROLE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
BARLEY CASSEROLE WITH VEGETABLES AND CHEDDAR | RICARDO
FRENCH ONION BARLEY BAKE | TASTY KITCHEN: A HAPPY RECIPE …
FRENCH ONION SOUP WITH BARLEY RECIPE | MYRECIPES
MUSHROOMBARLEYCASSEROLE BEST RECIPES
ONION BARLEY CASSEROLE
BARLEY BROWN RICE AND LENTIL CASSEROLE RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
LOW SODIUM FRENCH FRIED ONIONS - TASTY, HEALTHY HEART RECIPES
ONION BARLEY CASSEROLE RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT | TASTE OF HOME
PEARL BARLEY CASSEROLE RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
10 BEST CHICKEN BARLEY CASSEROLE RECIPES | YUMMLY
BARLEY-AND-MUSHROOM CASSEROLE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
LENTIL AND BARLEY OVEN BAKED CASSEROLE - HEART AND STROKE
ONION BARLEY CASSEROLE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY RECIPES AND ...
BROOKE BAKES : MUSHROOM BARLEY CASSEROLE | RECIPES, BARLEY …
ONION CASSEROLE RECIPE - TASTE OF SOUTHERN
Barley Mushroom Casserole1.5K views-03:38
Vegetarian Barley Casserole Recipe - Healthy Vegetarian Recipes On Video8.6K views-06:27
Beef Barley Mushroom Casserole & Carrots in Instant Pot - The 360 Chef Recipe How-to Ambisonic sound305 views-10:55
French Onion Soup Casserole | Food Network Canada Recipes3.9K views-00:47
Slimming World Recipe | Syn Free Chicken & Pearl Barley Casserole6K views-01:57
Gluten Free Onion Casserole35 views-05:38
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How long to cook barley and onion casserole?Heat oven to 350 F degrees. Melt butter and saute onion and barley. Pour mixture into a casserole dish. Add rest of ingredients. Cook 1 hour covered. “A spicy sidedish or add chicken breast strips for a complete supper dish.”
How to cook barley with mushrooms and onions?Heat the butter in a skillet and add the chopped onion. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes and add the mushrooms. Cook another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the barley and brown it lightly, mixing it well with the onions and mushrooms. Season to taste with salt and pepper and pour into a buttered casserole.
What is the best way to cook barley and onion soup?PER SERVING % DAILY VALUE Heat oven to 350 F degrees. Melt butter and saute onion and barley. Pour mixture into a casserole dish. Add rest of ingredients. Cook 1 hour covered. “A spicy sidedish or add chicken breast strips for a complete supper dish.”
What is the best way to cook with barley?Add the barley and brown it lightly, mixing it well with the onions and mushrooms. Season to taste with salt and pepper and pour into a buttered casserole. Add enough boiling broth to cover the mixture and come 1/2" above it.