ONION CHEESE SOUP
I made a few adjustments to this savory soup recipe I came across in a community cookbook. It's rich, buttery and cheesy, plus it's so quick to prepare. -Janice Pogozelski, Cleveland, Ohio
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. , Stir in cheese until melted. Serve with croutons and; if desired, top with Parmesan cheese and minced chives.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 308 calories, Fat 22g fat (15g saturated fat), Cholesterol 65mg cholesterol, Sodium 540mg sodium, Carbohydrate 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 14g protein.
GUINNESS AND ONION SOUP WITH IRISH CHEDDAR CROUTON
Provided by Michael Chiarello : Food Network
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add garlic and cook briefly to release aroma. Add onions, season with salt and cook for about 5 minutes stirring often. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are golden brown.
- Add the thyme, vinegar, and beer. Reduce beer by half and add the beef stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Transfer soup to an ovenproof serving dish or individual ovenproof soup bowls. Top with toasted bread slices and sliced Cheddar. Broil until cheese melts and starts to brown slightly. Serve piping hot.
ONION CHEDDAR SOUP
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a large pot saute butter and onion together until onion is soft and translucent. Add flour and stir until all flour is absorbed by butter. Slowly add milk 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well between each addition. Mixture will first get VERY thick then thin out during this process. DO NOT ADD ALL THE MILK AT ONCE! Once all milk has been added, add mustard, salt, thyme, pepper and chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Top with additional cheese, paprika or green onions.
ENGLISH ONION SOUP WITH SAGE AND CHEDDAR
There's something so incredibly humble about onion soup. It's absolutely one of my favorites but unfortunately I only ever get to make it in the restaurant or for myself as the missus thinks she's allergic to onions. (She's not, because I whiz them up into loads of dishes without her knowing!) If you have the opportunity, get hold of as many different types of onion for this soup as you can - you need about 2 pounds in total. Sweat them gently and you'll be amazed at all the flavors going on.
Provided by Jamie Oliver
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Put the butter, 2 glugs of olive oil, the sage and garlic into a heavy bottomed, nonstick pan. Stir everything round and add the onions, shallots and leeks. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place a lid on the pan, leaving it slightly ajar, and cook slowly for 50 minutes, without coloring the vegetables too much. Remove the lid for the last 20 minutes, the onions will become soft and golden. Stir occasionally so that nothing catches on the bottom. Having the patience to cook the onions slowly, slowly, gives you an incredible sweetness and an awesome flavor, so don't be tempted to speed this up.
- When your onions and leeks are lovely and silky, add the stock. Bring to the boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. You can skim any fat off the surface if you like, but I prefer to leave it because it adds good flavor.
- Preheat the oven or broiler to maximum. Toast your bread on both sides. Correct the seasoning of the soup. When it's perfect, ladle it into individual heatproof serving bowls and place them on a baking sheet. Tear toasted bread over each bowl to t like a lid. Feel free to push and dunk the bread into the soup a bit. Sprinkle with some grated Cheddar and drizzle over a little Worcestershire sauce.
- Dress your reserved sage leaves with some olive oil and place 1 on top of each slice of bread. Put the baking sheet into the preheated oven or under the broiler to melt the cheese until bubbling and golden. Keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't burn! When the cheese is bubbling, very carefully lift out the baking sheet and carry it to the table. Enjoy.
RUSTIC POTATO SOUP WITH CHEDDAR AND GREEN ONIONS
Enjoy the mouthwatering combination of potato, cheese and green onion in this delicious soup - ready in 35 minutes. Perfect veggie dinner!
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Heat water to boiling in 4-quart Dutch oven. Meanwhile, cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. Add potatoes to boiling water; return to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes well; reserve 2 cups potatoes. Place remaining potatoes (about 3 cups) in blender. Add 1 cup of the milk; cover and blend until smooth, adding additional milk if necessary. Return blended mixture to Dutch oven.
- Add reserved 2 cups potatoes, remaining 1 cup milk, the margarine, salt, pepper, 3/4 cup of the onions and 3/4 cup of the cheese to saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until soup is hot and cheese is melted.
- To serve, spoon soup into 4 individual soup bowls. Top each with 1 tablespoon each of the remaining onions and cheese.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 280, Carbohydrate 49 g, Cholesterol 10 mg, Fiber 6 g, Protein 15 g, SaturatedFat 2 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 670 mg, Sugar 9 g, TransFat 1/2 g
CHEDDAR CHEESE POTATO SOUP
Here's a recipe I created as an alternative to plain potato soup. Hearty and comforting, it disappears quickly when I serve it to my family on chilly evenings. Team it with bread and a salad, and you have a complete meal.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 10-12 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a large Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender., Stir in 2 cups milk, bouillon, salt and pepper. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese and bacon; stir until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 387 calories, Fat 26g fat (15g saturated fat), Cholesterol 75mg cholesterol, Sodium 985mg sodium, Carbohydrate 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 17g protein.
CANADIAN CHEDDAR SOUP
I got this delicious recipe from my friend, Lydia, that owns a rubber stamping store in our town. I design stamps for her. Her husband is the one that makes this yummy soup. I first had it at her home and had seconds, but didn't want to act "piggy" and ask for thirds, so I made it myself and guess what--I had it for breakfast, lunch and snacks during the day. I did this till it was gone and over the course of a couple of days, I ate the whole thing. Don't let the parsnips scare you, but please do add them. They give flavor but you do not taste them.
Provided by Mimi in Maine
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Place the 3 tablespoons butter in a large pot on the stove.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, and parsnips.
- Simmer, covered, for about 10-12 minutes (you want to make sure they are steamed till quite done, adding a fews drops of water if necessary).
- Mix the next 2 tablespoons butter and flour into the veggies to make a slight roux.
- Gradually stir in the three cans of beef broth, stirring till smooth (6-8 minutes).
- Add the Cheddar cheese and stir till melted.
- Slowly add the half-and-half.
- Heat but DO NOT boil, stirring constantly about 3 minute.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 384.1, Fat 30.9, SaturatedFat 19.5, Cholesterol 93.4, Sodium 835.7, Carbohydrate 11, Fiber 1.3, Sugar 2.3, Protein 16.4
CREAMY CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUP
- In a 3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter or margarine. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook until flour has blended with onion mixture.
- Add chicken broth and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is slightly thickened. Add milk and heat just to boiling, stirring constantly.
- In covered blender at medium speed, blend about 1/4 of soup mixture at a time until smooth. Return to saucepan and, over medium heat, heat just to boiling. Remove from heat.
- With wire whisk or slotted spoon, stir in cheese until melted. If cheese does not melt completely, cook over very low heat about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 479.2 calories, Carbohydrate 12.8 g, Cholesterol 109.5 mg, Fat 35.9 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Protein 26.1 g, SaturatedFat 22.6 g, Sodium 956.8 mg, Sugar 7.2 g
CHEDDAR ONION DROP BISCUITS
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Cut the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles course crumbs. Stir the onion, Parmesan cheese, and Cheddar cheese into the flour mixture. Pour the buttermilk into the bowl; stir until evenly combined. Drop by 1/4-cupfuls onto prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the tops of the biscuits are lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 191.3 calories, Carbohydrate 19.5 g, Cholesterol 26.2 mg, Fat 8.9 g, Fiber 0.7 g, Protein 8 g, SaturatedFat 5.5 g, Sodium 350.8 mg, Sugar 1.3 g
CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUP
- Melt butter in pot over medium heat, and saute onions, celery and carrots until they are tender but not browned, about 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle mixture with flour, and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes more. Slowly whisk in chicken stock, and bring it to a boil, whisking almost constantly. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes, or until thickened.
- Puree until smooth. Return to pot, bring to a simmer, and stir in cream, cheese and mustard. Avoid boiling the soup, which will break down the cheese: reduce heat to low, and stir until cheese is melted. Season with Worcestershire sauce or hot red pepper sauce, if desired, and salt and pepper. Thin with more stock or cream, if preferred. Serve in bowls garnished with croutons, finely chopped smoked ham or chopped cooked broccoli.
More about "onion cheddar soup recipes"
CREAMY ONION SOUP WITH CHEDDAR CROUTONS - RICARDO …
CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUP RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
30 ONION SOUP MIX RECIPES THAT GO BEYOND DIP - INSANELY GOOD
10 BEST CAMPBELL CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUP RECIPES - YUMMLY
CHEESE AND ONION SOUP - THE ENGLISH KITCHEN
BEER AND CHEDDAR CHEESE ONION SOUP | RICARDO
RECIPES USING CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUP - CAMPBELL SOUP …
ONION SOUP WITH SHARP CHEDDAR AND SWISS CHEESE - DAIRY FARMERS …
BAKED ONION SOUP WITH ALE N’ CHEDDAR | FOODLAND ONTARIO
CHEDDAR AND ONION SOUP CHICKEN - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
BALDERSON CHEESE | CREAMY CHEDDAR ONION SOUP
ONION CHEDDAR SOUP - RECIPES - PAGE 2 | COOKS.COM
ONION SOUP WITH BEER& CHEDDAR RECIPE
CIDER AND ONION SOUP RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
CARAMELIZED ONION SOUP WITH CLOTHBOUND CHEDDAR - WESTON TABLE
FRENCH ONION SOUP WITH BRIE AND CHEDDAR RECIPE - TODAY.COM
FRENCH ONION SOUP WITH CIDER AND CHEDDAR TOASTIE CROUTONS - KALLO
ENGLISH ONION SOUP WITH SAGE AND CHEDDAR RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
CHEDDAR AND ALE SOUP RECIPE - TOM KERRIDGE
GUINNESS ONION SOUP WITH IRISH CHEDDAR TOAST POINTS
CREAMY ONION SOUP WITH AGED CHEDDAR - WE HEART LOCAL BC
ONION CHEDDAR SOUP | NUM'S THE WORD | CHEDDAR SOUP, YUMMY …
10 BEST CONDENSED CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUP RECIPES - YUMMLY
CHEDDAR ONION RECIPE
EASY ONION SOUP RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES
BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP | JPMA, INC.
CREAMY BEER, ONION AND CHEDDAR SOUP | METRO
BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP | ONIONS | BOSTON ORGANICS
ONION CHEDDAR SOUP - RECIPES - PAGE 8 | COOKS.COM
BEST CAULIFLOWER CHEDDAR SOUP WITH SALSA RECIPES - FOOD NETWORK …
GUINESSS DRAUGHT ONION SOUP WITH IRISH CHEDDAR TOAST RECIPE
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make creamy cheese soup?This creamy cheese soup is delicious on a cold winter day! In a 3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter or margarine. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook until flour has blended with onion mixture.
What is the best way to cook chicken and onion soup?Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook until flour has blended with onion mixture. Add chicken broth and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is slightly thickened. Add milk and heat just to boiling, stirring constantly.
How to cook caramelized onions for Soup?Place caramelized onions in a large soup pot. Pour in chicken broth, beef broth, and thyme. Bring to a boil, skimming off any foam and fat that appear on top. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about an hour. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
How to cook chicken soup with cheese and mustard?Directions In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Combine the flour, mustard, paprika and salt; add to saucepan. Gradually add milk and soup; cook and stir until thick, about 10 minutes. Add the cheese and chicken broth; stir until cheese is melted.