SPICED ROAST GOOSE WITH DRIED-FRUIT PAN SAUCE
- Prepare dried fruit:
- Cover figs, apricots, and prunes with water in a 3-quart saucepan and simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Drain in a sieve. Reserve 2 cups fruit, then thread remainder onto 4 skewers.
- Prepare goose:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Crack allspice and peppercorns using a mortar and pestle (or spread spices on a kitchen towel and crack with bottom of a heavy skillet), then stir into butter.
- Discard neck, giblets, and any loose fat from goose. Using pliers, pull out any remaining quills. Prick skin all over with remaining skewer (especially thighs and breast), holding skewer nearly parallel to skin to avoid puncturing meat. Fold neck skin under body and fasten with skewer. Season goose well with salt inside and out. Put onions and reserved 2 cups fruit in cavity and tie legs together loosely with string. Rub skin all over with spiced butter.
- Roast goose:
- Put goose on rack in roasting pan and roast in middle of oven 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and continue to roast, basting goose and skimming off and reserving excess fat (for roasted potatoes ) with bulb baster every 30 minutes, 1 hour more.
- Arrange skewers with fruit on rack around goose (if rack is too small to fit all skewers, tuck some into wings). Continue to roast goose, basting and skimming and reserving fat in same manner, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into fleshy part of a thigh (do not touch bone) registers 170°F and several fruits from bottom of cavity speared on thermometer register 160-165°F, about 1 hour more (juices will be slightly pink when thigh is pierced; temperature will rise to 175°F as goose stands).
- Remove fruit from skewers and transfer to a bowl. Keep warm, covered. Transfer goose with 2 large spatulas to a cutting board and let stand, loosely covered with foil, 30 minutes.
- Make pan sauce while goose stands:
- Pour off fat from roasting pan. Straddle pan across 2 burners, then add shallots and sauté over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add Armagnac and deglaze pan by boiling and scraping up brown bits. Add demiglace and jam and briskly simmer, whisking, until jam is incorporated and sauce is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Pour sauce through a sieve if desired and keep warm, covered.
- Discard onions from cavity of goose and add fruit from cavity to fruit in bowl, then keep warm, covered. Carve goose, cutting breast into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Serve fruit and sauce on the side.
Here is a bird that throws off a lot of beautiful fat in the oven. You will use some of it to cook the potatoes that go in the roasting pan for the final hour of cooking, but you will have taken off quite a bit before that as well. You can save that goose fat, covered, in the refrigerator for a few weeks, until the next time you want incredible roast potatoes. The British serve roast goose with a sauce of onions sauteed in goose fat, then stewed in milk and cream and thickened with old bread. But I prefer something tart rather than rich - a cranberry relish, for instance, sweetened but not overly so.
Provided by Sam Sifton
Categories brunch, dinner, roasts, main course
Yield Serves 10 to 12.
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Rinse and dry the goose, rub it inside and out with salt and refrigerate uncovered for at least 6 hours, or overnight. The next morning, rub goose well with paper towels, then allow it to sit on a rack in the kitchen for about an hour, to come to room temperature. Trim wing tips and excess fat from goose and reserve for another use.
- Preheat oven to 325. Using a clean needle or sharply pointed knife, prick the skin of the goose all over, to allow the fat to run when it roasts. Stick the skin at an angle, so as to pierce just the skin and not the meat of the bird. Season the goose with salt and pepper, then place the rack in a deep roasting pan, and cook for one hour.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for approximately 3 to 5 minutes, then drain and reserve the potatoes.
- After an hour's roasting, remove the goose from the oven, and pour off the fat from the pan, reserving for another use. Put the goose on its rack back in the pan and add the potatoes. Roast for another hour.
- After the goose has roasted for 2 hours total, reduce oven to 275 and continue roasting approximately 30 to 45 minutes, about 15 minutes per pound total, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees at the center of the breast. Remove goose to a carving board and allow to rest for 20 to 30 minutes before carving. The bird may be served at room temperature if you like.
- Remove potatoes from pan and keep them warm under foil until ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 1086, UnsaturatedFat 57 grams, Carbohydrate 25 grams, Fat 89 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 45 grams, SaturatedFat 26 grams, Sodium 933 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram
ROASTED GOOSE WITH BLACKBERRY GINGERED SAUCE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash the goose thoroughly inside and out. Dry well with paper towels. Prick the skin with a fork or fine skewer (this helps release the fat during cooking) and generously rub all over with sea salt. Stuff the bird with the cut fruit. Tuck the wings under so they are not exposed. Add 1/2 inch water to the roasting pan and position the goose breast side down in a roasting rack. Place the pan in the oven for 45 minutes. Check the bird while it's roasting to make sure the water doesn't evaporate or the goose fat will burn. After 45 minutes, take the goose out of the oven. Turn it breast side up and prick the skin again. Carefully remove the excess fat by tilting the pan and using a baster. Add another 1/2-inch of water to the pan. Continue to roast for another 2 hours.
- The goose is cooked when its juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a skewer. If they are at all bloody, roast for a further 15 minutes and check again. To be sure the goose is cooked, insert a thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh. It should read 170 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Pour out excess fat leaving about 2 tablespoons. Add the scallions, ginger, blackberries, sugar and soy sauce. Saute for 5 to 10 minutes until the blackberries begin to break up and the juices are released. Add Zinfandel and reduce by half then add the chicken stock and reduce by half again. Pass sauce through a sieve and discard the pulp. Serve with the goose.
Provided by Food Network
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Place the honey, vinegar, and water in a pot large enough to hold the goose, submerged. Bring the liquid to the boil and add the raw goose to the pot. Return to the boil, reduce the heat and cook the goose at a strong simmer for 20 minutes to render some of the grease as well as begin to tenderize the normally chewy bird. Remove the goose from the liquid and allow to cool at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prick the goose skin all around the carcass. Season the cavity with half of the salt and pepper, add the herbs, onion and garlic. Truss the legs and season the outside of the goose with the remaining salt and pepper and the olive oil.
- Preheat a heavy roasting pan for 10 minutes. Place the goose, breast side down, on a rack in the roasting pan and roast in the oven, skimming the fat and reserving it for another use, for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Turn the goose breast side up and roast, basting it with pan juices and skimming the fat, for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours more, or until the juices run clear when the fleshy part of the thigh is pricked with a fork and a meat thermometer inserted in the fleshy part of the thigh registers 165 degrees.
- Transfer the goose to a platter, remove the trussing string, and keep the goose warm, covered loosely with foil. Skim off all but 1/4 cup of fat from the pan juices, add the flour, and cook the roux over moderately low heat, stirring, until it has browned slightly. Add the stock in a stream, whisking, and simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and strain the gravy into a heated sauceboat.
ROASTED WILD GOOSE OR DUCK
This recipe is not for a grocery store goose or duck. Cooking a wild-caught goose or duck is quite different from a farm-raised store bird. My son-in-law asked me to cook the goose he got during hunting season. It is a great way to reward the hunter with a delightful dinner. My son-in-law said it was the best goose he had ever eaten and he comes from a family that eats mostly wild game from hunting and fishing trips.
Provided by Kitten
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Rinse and pat goose dry. Place cold butter in a large bowl and add cranberries, raisins, orange, onion, apple, sage, tarragon, basil, garlic, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Mix well using your hands until you have a large ball of butter and fruit.
- Stuff the ball of butter into the body cavity of the goose. Close cavity and tie drumsticks together with kitchen twine. Sew cavity shut to protect flavor and moisture, if desired.
- Place 2 large layers of foil on a work surface. Make a bed of bacon slices in the center of the foil by placing 4 or 5 slices side by side. Lay goose on top, breast-side up. Cover breast and legs with remaining bacon. Bring foil up and fold, sealing in the bird, leaving small space around the bird for air circulation. Place foil-covered bird into a roasting pan.
- Roast in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, 3 to 4 hours. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the largest part of the thigh should read 180 degrees F (82 degrees C).
- Remove from the oven, leave the bird breast-side down, and let rest for 15 minutes. Turn the bird breast-side up and let rest for 10 minutes. Open foil pouch very carefully, as there will be a lot of steam. Remove and discard all stuffing and transfer bird to a serving platter. Slice, carve, and serve, or serve whole and carve at the table.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 871 calories, Carbohydrate 15.2 g, Cholesterol 235.2 mg, Fat 65.7 g, Fiber 2.3 g, Protein 53.5 g, SaturatedFat 26.6 g, Sodium 623.3 mg, Sugar 10 g
BAKED GOOSE BREAST RECIPE - (4.3/5)
Provided by gnikylime
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Take goose breast out of the refrigerator and let warm to room temperature. Pat the breasts dry with paper towels. If you are working with a domesticated goose or a very fat duck, use a sharp knife to score the skin (but not the meat) in a crosshatch pattern, making the slashes about 1 inch across. This helps the fat render and will give you a crispier skin. Do not score the skin of a wild goose unless it is very fatty. Preheat oven to 325F/163C. To make the spice mix, blitz all of the ingredients in a food processor to a fine powder. Rub the goose all over with a little olive oil and half of the spice mix, making sure you get into all the nooks and crannies. (Reserve the remaining half for the red cabbage.) Grease a baking dish large enough to hold all of the goose with olive oil. Line the bottom of the dish with the onion, carrot, and celery disks. Distribute the herbs and mandarin pieces on top of the onions. Place the goose breasts on the top of everything else. Check after 40 minutes and continue checking every 5 minutes. When the breast hits 160F/71C internal temperature, remove from the oven. Let it rest for at least 45 minutes. Take a big frying pan and put in about a tablespoon of that goose fat. Put it over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, cook the goose breast skin-down for 2 - 4 minutes to get a nice brown on the skin. Reserve the remaining rendered fat for future use.
ROASTED GOOSE WITH PORT WINE CHERRY SAUCE
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Use a fork to prick the goose all over. Do not go into the meat, just through the skin. Season inside and out with sea salt, stuff with the orange, lemon, and apple; tie the wings behind the bird with cooking twine. Place breast-side-down into a roasting pan, and fill with 1/2-inch of water.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, then remove from the oven. Turn the goose breast-side-up, and prick the skin with a fork again. Add water to the pan to bring the level back up to 1/2-inch. Return the goose to the oven, and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone reads 170 degrees F (75 degrees C), about 2 hours. Remove from the oven, and cover loosely with aluminum foil to rest.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of goose fat from the roasting pan into a small saucepan, and heat over medium heat. Stir in the cherries and cook until the cherries have softened and begun to release their juice, about 10 minutes. Stir in the port wine, and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 2 minutes, then stir in the ginger, green onion, sugar, soy sauce, and chicken stock. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, and simmer until the sauce has reduced by half, or to your desired consistency, about 10 minutes. Serve the sauce alongside the goose.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 887.3 calories, Carbohydrate 10.1 g, Cholesterol 237.3 mg, Fat 60.7 g, Fiber 1.3 g, Protein 65.1 g, SaturatedFat 18.8 g, Sodium 367.4 mg, Sugar 7.2 g
PAN-ROASTED GOOSE BREAST
- 1. Clean and dry the goose breast. Scorch the skin with intersecting lines; this allows the excessive fats to leak out.Turn your stove on high heat and drizzle good olive oil in the searing hot pan. Generously season both side of the breast with salt and pepper. Then sear each side of the breast for 4 minutes. 2. After place the pan in a preheated oven 375 F for 15 minutes so the breast can be fully cooked.
More about "pan roasted goose breast recipes"
3 WAYS TO COOK GOOSE BREASTS - WIKIHOW
92% (13)Estimated Reading Time 8 minsCategory Poultry RecipesPublished 2019-03-29
- Pan-Roasted Goose Breasts Download Article Salt the goose breasts and bring them to room temperature. Remove 2 goose breasts from the refrigerator and sprinkle them with salt.
- Sweet and Savory Slow-Cooker Goose Breasts Download Article Cut the goose breasts into 1⁄2 inch (1.3 cm) thick slices. Remove 4 goose breasts from the refrigerator and put them on a cutting board.
- Grilled Goose Breasts with Bacon Download Article Combine rosemary, thyme, garlic, red wine, and olive oil in a bowl. To make an easy herb marinade, pull the leaves off of 1 sprig of fresh rosemary and 4 sprigs of fresh thyme.
PAN SEARED GOOSE BREAST – THIN AIR OUTDOORS
10 BEST GOOSE BREAST RECIPES | YUMMLY
ONE-PAN GOOSE BREAST
ROAST GOOSE WITH GRAVY - FRASER VALLEY SPECIALTY POULTRY
GOOSE BREAST RECIPE TO IMPRESS THIS CHRISTMAS
ROASTED GOOSE BREAST WITH WINTER VEGETABLES RECIPE
ROAST GOOSE BREAST WITH GRAVY RECIPE - ESTER KOCHT
PAN SEARED CANADA GOOSE BREASTS WITH RASPBERRY …
AN ABSOLUTELY PERFECT ROAST GOOSE!+ RECIPE
RECIPE: PAN-ROASTED GOOSE BREASTS WITH ORANGE AND …
10 BEST GOOSE BREAST RECIPES | YUMMLY
PAN FRIED AND ROASTED GOOSE BREAST - ONTARIO OUT OF …
Estimated Reading Time 50 secs
PAN-ROASTED GOOSE BREASTS WITH ORANGE AND OUZO RECIPE | EAT YOUR …
RECIPE OF AWARD-WINNING PAN ROASTED GOOSE BREAST/ CHERRY SAUCE/ …
HOW TO ROAST A GOOSE TO TENDER PERFECTION | KITCHEN FRAU
ROAST GOOSE WITH POTATOES, ONIONS, AND APPLES RECIPE
ROAST GOOSE BREAST - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
RECIPE OF QUICK PAN ROASTED GOOSE BREAST/ CHERRY SAUCE/ SWEET …
ORANGE FIVE-SPICE ROAST GOOSE AND POTATOES - THE WOKS OF LIFE
PAN-ROASTED GOOSE BREAST
CLASSIC GOOSE BREAST FROM THE OVEN - FREE RECIPE WITH PHOTO …
RECIPE OF ROAST GOOSE TIP TO THE PAN - MEATS - RECIPES ENGLISH
PAN-ROASTED GOOSE BREAST
9 ROAST GOOSE RECIPES IDEAS - FOOD NEWS
PAN ROASTED GOOSE BREAST/ CHERRY SAUCE/ SWEET POTATO MASH/SAVOY
ROAST GOOSE BREAST RECIPE - BBC FOOD
ROAST GOOSE BREAST RECIPE | GOURMET TRAVELLER
ROAST GOOSE RECIPE, HOW TO ROAST A GOOSE
ROAST GOOSE BREAST MAPPAS RECIPE - BBC FOOD
PAN ROASTED GOOSE BREAST/ CHERRY SAUCE/ SWEET POTATO …
RECIPE OF SPEEDY PAN ROASTED GOOSE BREAST/ CHERRY SAUCE/ SWEET …
TOP 49 COOKING GOOSE BREASTS RECIPES
RECIPE OF QUICK PAN ROASTED GOOSE BREAST/ CHERRY SAUCE/ SWEET …
HOW TO ROAST A GOOSE - THE SPRUCE EATS
BASIC ROAST BREAST OF GOOSE BRITISH RECIPES - COOKIPEDIA.CO.UK
PAN FRIED GOOSE BREAST RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
ROAST GOOSE BREAST RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
ROAST GOOSE BREAST WITH APPLES AND RAISINS | RECIPE - CUISINE FIEND
CHINESE ROAST GOOSE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook a goose breast in the oven?Directions. Preheat a heavy roasting pan for 10 minutes. Place the goose, breast side down, on a rack in the roasting pan and roast in the oven, skimming the fat and reserving it for another use, for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Turn the goose breast side up and roast, basting it with pan juices and skimming the fat, for 1 hour...
What do you put on a roast goose breast?meat tenderizer, paprika, oil, geese breasts, garlic salt, pepper and 3 more Pan-roasted Goose Breast With Roast Swede And Chestnuts And Leek And Cranberry SauceBBC olive oil, butter, chestnuts, salt, cranberry, leek, olive oil and 6 more Roast Goose Breast With Apples And RaisinsCuisine Fiend
How do you cook a goose in a frying pan?Flip over the goose and cook on the flesh for 4-5 minutes, or until medium-rare. Remove from the pan and rest in a warm place. Parboil the potato for 2 minutes in a pan of salted boiling water. Drain. Heat a frying pan to medium heat and add the rendered goose fat, jamon and potato.
How much barbecue sauce do you put in a goose breast?Sweet and Savory Slow-Cooker Goose Breasts 1 4 goose breasts 2 4 1/2 cups (1 kg) of barbecue sauce 3 1 20-ounce (567 g) can of pineapple tidbits 4 1 green pepper, sliced 5 1 onion, chopped 6 4 garlic cloves, minced More ...