SIMPLY ROASTED ARTICHOKES
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Place artichokes stem-side down in a bowl and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Slightly separate the artichoke leaves with your hands.
- Insert a knife blade into the center of each artichoke to create a garlic clove-size space.
- Drizzle each artichoke with olive oil.
- Press 1 clove of garlic into the center of each artichoke and season with salt.
- Tightly wrap each artichoke twice with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Place in baking dish and bake in the preheated oven until sizzling, about 1 hour 20 minutes
Nutrition Facts : Calories 203.8 calories, Carbohydrate 19.3 g, Fat 13.8 g, Fiber 8.9 g, Protein 5.5 g, SaturatedFat 1.9 g, Sodium 253.2 mg, Sugar 2 g
ARTICHOKES AU GRATIN
This makes a great side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas or any dinner. My niece served this at a family gathering and was kind enough to share the recipe.
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 4-6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small skillet, saute artichokes and garlic in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish., In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese until melted., Pour over artichokes; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Combine crumbs and paprika; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 190 calories, Fat 13g fat (8g saturated fat), Cholesterol 72mg cholesterol, Sodium 513mg sodium, Carbohydrate 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 8g protein.
POACHED EGGS, POLENTA, AND MARINATED ARTICHOKES
- In a bowl, combine artichokes, 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, parsley, and pepper flakes. Season with salt and set aside.
- Bring milk and 3 cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Gradually add polenta and cook, stirring, until liquid is absorbed and polenta is tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in remaining oil and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper and cover. (If polenta becomes too thick, whisk in water by the tablespoon.)
- Fill a high-sided skillet with 2 inches water; bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Crack one egg at a time into a teacup or small bowl and gently slide into simmering water. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cook until white is just set and yolk is still loose, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove eggs from water using a slotted spoon.
- Spoon polenta into serving bowls. Top with egg and sprinkle with artichokes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 336 g, Cholesterol 217 g, Fat 17 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 13 g, SaturatedFat 4 g, Sodium 309 g
STEAMED WHOLE ARTICHOKES
- Put the parsley, garlic, bay leaves, lemons, wine, oil and broth in a large pot and bring to a simmer. Season the liquid with salt and pepper. In the meantime prepare the artichokes.
- Wash artichokes under cold water. Using a heavy stainless steel knife, cut off the stems close to the base. Pull off the lower petals that are small and tough. Cut off the top inch of the artichoke and rub with half a lemon to preserve the green color. Alternatively, you may put the artichokes in acidulated water. If you wish, trim the thorny tips of the petals with kitchen shears.
- Place the artichokes in the steaming liquid, bottom up. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. The artichokes are done when a knife is inserted into the base and there is no resistance.
- To eat, pull off a leaf and scrape the meat off the tender end with your front teeth. Dip the ends of the leaves in lemon juice and melted butter if desired. When you reach the center cone of purple prickly leaves, remove it. This is the choke that protects the heart. Now, scrape away the thistle fuzz covering the artichoke heart. The heart is the meatiest part of the artichoke. Steamed artichokes may be served hot or cold.
Artichokes have more sodium than most vegetables but should nevertheless be enjoyed from time to time. Choose artichokes that squeak when you squeeze them. This recipe, inspired by Martha Rose Shulman, makes butter dunking sauce unnecessary.
Provided by Elma W. Bagg
Yield Serves 4
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cut the stem off at the base of each artichoke. With scissors clip off the point of each leaf. Cut about 1/2 inch off the top of each artichoke. Mix rosemary and minced garlic gloves and divide between the 4 artichokes, placing mixture between layers of leaves. Put remaining ingredients in deep, wide saucepan and add artichokes. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 45 to 50 minutes, or until leaves are very tender.
STEAMED ARTICHOKES WITH POACHED EGGS AND SMOKED SALMON
- Cut off stems of artichokes flush with bottoms; discard. Using kitchen scissors, trim outer 3 layers of leaves to 2 inches.
- Fill a large stockpot with 2 inches of water. Set a steamer basket over water. Stand artichokes upright in basket; cover pot. Bring to a boil. Steam until bottoms of artichokes are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove artichokes from pot; let stand until cool enough to handle. Remove and discard inner leaves, leaving trimmed outer leaves to create a flowerlike shape. Using a teaspoon, remove fuzzy choke and any purple leaves; discard. Gently spread apart artichoke leaves to create desired appearance. Season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- Fill a large saucepan with 4 inches of water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. When water is barely simmering, break 1 egg into a small heatproof bowl. Gently tip bowl to slide egg carefully into water in pan. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cook until whites are set but yolks are still soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Lift out eggs with a slotted spoon; briefly rest spoon on paper towels to drain eggs.
- Immediately spoon 1 egg inside each artichoke (be careful not to pierce yolk). Spoon about 1 tablespoon hollandaise sauce over top of each egg. Drape 1 slice salmon on top. Serve with hollandaise.
POACHED SALMON WITH ARTICHOKE CONFIT
Both the salmon and the artichokes are poached in spice-and herb-infused liquids, adding layers of subtle aromatic flavor.
Provided by Renee Erickson
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 22
- Add 3 tablespoon lemon juice to a large bowl of cold water. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, remove tough dark outer leaves. Using a serrated knife, trim top of artichoke to just above the heart. Trim stem, leaving about 1" intact. Using a paring knife or vegetable peeler, remove dark outer layer from stem. Halve artichoke lengthwise and scoop out choke with a spoon. Transfer artichoke to lemon water to prevent discoloration.
- Drain artichokes; pat dry. Cook with thyme, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until oil around artichokes is bubbling. Reduce heat and cook, turning artichokes occasionally, until stems are tender when pierced with a knife, 15-20 minutes; let cool in oil.
- Meanwhile, if using fresh fava beans, cook in a medium saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a colander set in a bowl of ice water. Drain and peel; place in a large bowl. (If using frozen fava beans, cook 2 minutes; do not peel.)
- Return water in saucepan to a boil; add peas and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain; transfer to colander in ice water. Drain and add to bowl with fava beans.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer artichokes to bowl with peas and fava beans. Add 1/4 cup artichoke cooking oil, olives, pea shoots, mint, and remaining 2 tablespoon lemon juice; toss and season with salt and pepper.
- Do Ahead: Artichokes can be poached 1 day ahead. Keep in oil; cover and chill.
- Bring parsley, dill, lemon slices, lemon juice, wine, peppercorns, and 3 cups water to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat; season with salt. Add salmon; cover. Reduce heat and simmer gently until just opaque throughout, 6-8 minutes. Using a large spatula, remove salmon and lemon slices from poaching liquid. Serve salmon with artichoke salad and lemon slices.
POACHED OYSTERS AND ARTICHOKES WITH CHAMPAGNE CREAM
Planning a special Valentine's Day or anniversary dinner? I cut this in half (just for 2) & it is divine! Use fat plump winter oysters (large to me easily fits in the cup of the palm of my hand, LOL) and take care not to overcook them! From Gourmet November 2006
Provided by Busters friend
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Prepare artichoke bottoms:.
- Fill a 3-quart saucepan halfway with water and add vinegar, oil, and salt, then whisk in flour. (Do not heat.)
- Cut off top inch of leaves of 1 artichoke with a serrated knife, then cut stem flush with base and discard stem. Bend back outer leaves until they snap off close to base, then discard several more layers of leaves in same manner until exposed leaves are pale green at top and pale yellow at base. Trim dark green fibrous parts from base and side of artichoke with a sharp paring knife, then cut remaining leaves flush with top of artichoke bottom.
- Drop artichoke bottom into water in pot, putting a sieve or small lid directly on top of artichoke to keep submerged, and prepare remaining artichokes in same manner.
- Bring to a boil, uncovered, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, keeping artichokes submerged with sieve or lid, until just tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer artichokes with tongs (reserving water in saucepan) to a work surface, and, when cool enough to handle, remove pointed inner leaves and fuzzy chokes with a melon-ball cutter or a small spoon. Return artichokes to cooking water to keep warm, covered.
- Cook spinach while artichokes simmer:.
- Put 1 inch of water in a 3- to 4-quart pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Add spinach, 1 handful at a time, stirring with tongs, and cooking until all spinach is wilted. Drain spinach in a colander and press firmly with back of a large spoon to remove excess liquid.
- Cook shallot in butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add spinach, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Keep warm, covered.
- Prepare oysters and sauce:.
- Pour oyster liquor into a nonreactive 8-inch heavy skillet and add Champagne, shallot, and vinegar. Bring to a boil and boil, skimming foam, until reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 5 minutes. (Reduce heat if necessary to keep from boiling over.)
- Pour liquid through a fine-mesh sieve into a measuring cup, pressing on and then discarding shallot.
- Return liquid to skillet, then add cream and oysters and cook over moderate heat, turning oysters over if not completely covered, until edges curl, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Assemble dish and finish sauce:.
- Transfer artichoke bottoms with tongs to paper towels to drain, arranging them upside down. Transfer to plates, turning them right side up, then top with spinach. Arrange oysters on top of spinach, lifting them out of sauce with a slotted spoon.
- Boil sauce until reduced to about 1/2 cup, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add butter, then chives, and swirl skillet until butter is incorporated.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over oysters.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 569.7, Fat 36, SaturatedFat 19.2, Cholesterol 161.5, Sodium 1449.3, Carbohydrate 32.7, Fiber 10.8, Sugar 1.4, Protein 24.6
More about "poached artichokes recipes"
POACHED ARTICHOKE | DAILY HARVEST EXPRESS
Estimated Reading Time 40 secs
- Cut the stem off at the base of the artichoke. With a chef’s knife, cut off the top 1/3 or so of the artichoke, so all pointy ends are removed from the top (or you can cut each tip off with scissors, if you prefer).
- Put remaining ingredients in a deep saucepan and add artichoke. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 45 to 50 minutes, or until leaves are very tender.
HERB-AND-LEMON-POACHED BABY ARTICHOKES RECIPE
5/5 Total Time 1 hr 30 minsServings 4
- In a large, deep skillet, combine the water with the juice of 2 of the lemons; add the 4 lemons to the water in the skillet. Working with 1 baby artichoke at a time, snap off all of the dark green outer leaves. Using a sharp knife, slice off the top half of the leaves and peel and trim the stem. Drop the baby artichokes into the lemon-infused water.
- Add the 1 cup of olive oil and the white wine, onion, coriander seeds, peppercorns, thyme, rosemary, sage and bay leaves to the skillet. Bring to a simmer over moderately high heat, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer until the artichokes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Let the artichokes cool in the cooking liquid for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the artichokes to a work surface; discard the cooking liquid. Cut the artichokes in half lengthwise and arrange them on a platter. Drizzle the artichokes with a little olive oil, sprinkle with salt and serve warm or at room temperature.
POACHED ARTICHOKE WITH LENTILS | DINNER RECIPES | WOMAN …
5/5 (1)Servings 4Cuisine ItalianCategory Dinner
POACHED EGGS WITH ARTICHOKE AND PEAS - THE TINY ITALIAN
OIL-POACHED ARTICHOKE HEART SALAD RECIPE - SIMPLY …
ARTICHOKE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
20 ARTICHOKE RECIPES EVERYONE WILL LOVE | FOOD & WINE
CROCK POT POACHED ARTICHOKES RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
PAN ROASTED ARTICHOKES - COOKING WITH NONNA
POACHED EGGS ON ARTICHOKE BOTTOMS - THYME FOR …
POACHED EGGS WITH ARTICHOKES BARIGOULE - AMERICAN EGG BOARD
POACHED GLOBE ARTICHOKES - ALEX HERBERT - GOOD, SIMPLE, DELICIOUS
WHOLE POACHED ARTICHOKES - CHRISTINA COOKS
OIL-POACHED ARTICHOKE HEART SALAD - GLUTEN FREE RECIPES
ANAKA MEDIA OIL-POACHED ARTICHOKE HEART SALAD RECIPE
EGGS SARDOU (NEW ORLEANS-STYLE POACHED EGGS WITH ARTICHOKE …
31 EASY CANNED ARTICHOKE RECIPES – HAPPY MUNCHER
POACHED ARTICHOKE WITH LENTILS | DINNER RECIPES | WOMAN …
POACHED FISH WITH ARTICHOKE AND BASIL SAUCE - THE SPORTING CHEF
ARTICHOKES POACHED IN OLIVE OIL WITH VEGETABLES - GLUTEN-FREE …
OLIVE OIL–POACHED ARTICHOKES - CULTURE: THE WORD ON CHEESE
ARTICHOKE SAUTE WITH POACHED EGG - RECIPE - MISS BLASCO
POACHED ARTICHOKES RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
ROASTED ARTICHOKES RECIPE (EASY!) | WHOLESOME YUM
POACHED BABY ARTICHOKES WITH CHEESE & HERBS | MARX FOODS BLOG
HERB-AND-LEMON-POACHED BABY ARTICHOKES - GLUTEN FREE RECIPES
LEMON POACHED POTATOES WITH ASPARAGUS, ARTICHOKES, OLIVES
STEAMED ARTICHOKES WITH EASY HOLLANDAISE SAUCE | THE LEMON APRON
POACHED ARTICHOKES RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
POACHED PERFECTION - RICHMONDMAGAZINE.COM
ROASTED ARTICHOKE RECIPE (WITH GARLIC BUTTER SAUCE) | KITCHN
POACHED EGGS WITH ARTICHOKE CREAM - EGGS - 2022
RECIPE: LORD STANLEY’S ARTICHOKES WITH POACHED EGGS
POACHED ARTICHOKE WITH LENTILS | RECIPE | LENTIL DINNER RECIPES, LENTIL ...
POACHED CHICKEN AND ARTICHOKE SALAD WITH SAFFRON AIOLI RECIPE
BASIC POACHED BABY ARTICHOKES | MARX FOODS BLOG
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook artichoke?Put 2 quarts water in a 4-quart pot and whisk in flour. Whisk in oil, salt, and remaining tablespoon lemon juice and bring to a simmer. Add artichoke bottoms and stems and simmer, partially covered, until just tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
How do you cook artichokes in a Dutch oven?Put about 1 inch of boiling water in the bottom of a Dutch oven that will snugly hold the artichokes. Add 2 slices of lemon, a bay leaf, the 2 remaining garlic cloves, halved, to the water. Place the artichokes sitting upright in the water. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
How do you cook salmon and artichokes?Both the salmon and the artichokes are poached in spice- and herb-infused liquids, adding layers of subtle aromatic flavor. Add 3 Tbsp. lemon juice to a large bowl of cold water. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, remove tough dark outer leaves.
What can I use to make artichoke pasta?Whole-wheat bread and raw veggie dippers allow you to dig in without the guilt. This creamy artichoke pasta uses lemon zest and parsley to balance the richness of the Parmesan cheese sauce. You can use frozen or canned artichoke hearts in this healthy pasta recipe.