A popular Mexican stew, Chile Colorado includes tender pieces of beef simmered in a red chile sauce made from dried Mexican chiles, broth and spices.
Provided by Lauren Allen
Categories Main Course
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Remove meat from fridge and cut into ½ inch cubes. Set aside.
- Remove the stems (and seeds if you want, for milder heat) from the dried chiles while rinsing them under cold water. Place chiles in a saucepan and cover with broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the meat. Season on all sides with salt and pepper and sprinkle with flour. Add oil to a skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add meat and cook until browned on both sides. Depending on the size of your pan you will need to do this in a few batches to keep from overcrowding.
- Remove meat to a plate and set aside. Add onion and jalapeno to the pan and saute for several minutes.
- As the onions cook, pour the softened peppers and the broth into a blender. Add the sautéed onion and jalapeno and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Return browned beef (and accumulated juices) back to the pot. Strain the chili sauce from the blender through a fine mesh strainer, into the pot. Add oregano, cumin, paprika, garlic powder and stir well. Add bay leaf.
- Bring to a slow boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about an hour, or until the meat is very tender.
- Uncover and stir in lime juice and cornstarch slurry. Cook for a few more minutes, until the sauce has slightly thickened.
- Serve as a stew with tortillas for dipping and a side of Mexican rice and beans.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 318 kcal, Carbohydrate 18 g, Protein 35 g, Fat 12 g, SaturatedFat 3 g, Cholesterol 88 mg, Sodium 529 mg, Fiber 7 g, Sugar 9 g, ServingSize 1 serving
RED CHILE SAUCE (CHILE COLORADO)
An easy Red Chile Sauce (Chile Colorado) recipe
Categories Condiment/Spread Sauce Blender Vinegar Spice Hot Pepper Gourmet
Yield Makes about 2 1/2 cups
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Rinse chiles and split open, discarding stems, seeds, and ribs.
- Heat a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over moderate heat, then toast chiles, skin sides up, in batches, about 30 seconds (be careful not to burn them, or sauce will be bitter). Transfer chiles as toasted to a heatproof bowl and pour boiling water over them. Cover bowl and soak chiles, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 15 minutes.
- Purée chiles with three fourths of soaking liquid, reserving remainder, in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Pour purée through a coarse sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids, and discard solids. Whisk reserved soaking liquid into chile mixture.
- Cook onion, garlic, cumin, and oregano in oil in a large heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring, 2 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Whisk in chile mixture and simmer, partially covered, whisking occasionally, until reduced to about 2 1/2 cups, about 30 minutes. Season with salt, vinegar, and sugar.
CHILE COLORADO (BASIC RED CHILE SAUCE)
Make and share this Chile Colorado (Basic Red Chile Sauce) recipe from Food.com.
Provided by tornadoes three
Yield 2 cups, 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat shortening in a medium saucepan on medium heat.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chile powder and cook for an additional minute.
- Gradually add the water and stir, making sure that no lumps form.
- Add seasonings to sauce and simmer at low heat for 10-15 minutes.***.
- * Red Chile recipe above. Varied amounts and variety of chile will determine the degree of hotness.
- ** For a more mild flavor, tomato juice may be substituted.
- *** Last red chile can be very bitter if it doesn't simmer long enough. Please let it simmer for AT LEAST 10 minutes As always, the longer it simmers the hotter it will be -- but you don't want bitter red chile. TRUST ME.
- NOTE: One pound of cooked beef or pork, ground, cubed, or shredded,may be added.
- Also can be served over pork chops or used as a gravy for mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 95.3, Fat 7.8, SaturatedFat 1.8, Sodium 517.3, Carbohydrate 7.2, Fiber 2.8, Sugar 0.6, Protein 1.4
RED MEAT CHILI: CARNE CHILI COLORADO
Provided by Aarón Sánchez
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- On a sheet tray or baking pan, place onion, tomatillos, tomatoes, and garlic and drizzle with olive oil. Place under the broiler or roast in a preheated 500 degree F oven until the vegetables start to get a little charred on the outside. Remove and set aside. On another sheet tray or baking pan, place the dried chiles, and toast in a 500 degree F oven for 1 minute or until the chiles start to release some smoke. Remove and plunge in to bowl with hot water and set aside.
- In a blender, begin pureeing the chiles and roasted vegetables in batches with chicken stock until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a saute pan, toast the cumin, coriander, and mustard for 3 minutes or until they start to smoke. Remove from pan and place in a small mixing bowl. Add the olive oil, salt, and pepper, to make a paste. Rub this paste all over the piece of flank steak and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Preheat a grill or grill pan on high.
- Grill the flank steak for 3 minutes on each side. Place the flank steak in a roasting pan and pour the pureed chile sauce over it. Add 2 cups of water, cover with foil, and cook in the oven for 1 hour until the meat becomes flaky.
- Remove the meat from the pan, shred the meat, and reserve the sauce. Place 6 of the tortillas onto a baking sheet. Put a small amount of the shredded meat on the tortilla and spoon over some of the sauce. Top with some cheese. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Bake for 5 minutes and serve.
RICK BAYLESS'S CHILE COLORADO
Make and share this Rick Bayless's Chile Colorado recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Andtototoo
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Wash the pork, remove excess fat, cube and set aside.
- Take the New Mexico chilies (or use dried California chilies which are also mild) and remove the stems, veins, and seeds. Break the chilies into big pieces.
- Heat a nonstick fryng pan over medium heat. When hot, add 1/3 of the chilies and cook just until they start to change color, pressing down occasionally with a spachula. Flip over the chilies and repeat on the second side. Remove. Repeat with the last two batches of the chilies.
- Put the toasted chilies into a pie plate, fill part-way full with water and top with a salad or other smallish plate. Let the chilies soak for 30-45 minutes.
- Once the dried chilies are done soaking, put them into a food processor or blender along with the onion, garlic, oregano and cumin. Add some of the soaking liquid (at least one cup or more) and puree. Strain through a wire mesh. Set the red chili sauce aside.
- Meanwhile, in the same nonstick frying pan, heat it over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot add 1/4 cup oi and when the oil is warm, add half of the meat cubes. Use a spachula to turn over the meat as it cooks. When the meat gets brown spots, remove the first batch, and repeat with the remaining meat cubes.
- Readd all of the meat back into the frying pan. Add the red chili sauce and cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Next, put the meat and sauce into a medium-largish size saucepan. Add 1 1/2 - 2 cups water.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook about one hour or until the meat is very tender and the sauce is thick.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If the sauce is too runny because there is too much liquid, increase heat to high and boil away the liquid unti the sauce thickens. You can also add 1-2 Table. masa to the sauce to thicken it as it boils.
- If desired, you can reduce the amount of meat to 1 - 1 1/2 lbs. and add one 16 oz. can drained pinto beans the last 15 minutes of cooking.
I like to make this chile for my Mexican husband, who also doesn't like tomatoes in his chile. This is a very Mexican chile. If you decide to add beans, do it after the chile is finished.
Provided by VARISSUL
Categories Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes Stews Beef
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Place chiles and 3 cups water into a medium stockpot, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and steep for 30 minutes to soften. Strain into a bowl, reserving the cooking liquid. Place the chiles and some of the liquid into a blender, and puree until smooth. Add more liquid as necessary to form a smooth sauce. Pass sauce through a fine mesh strainer to remove any seeds and the tough skins; set aside.
- Cut the roast into 1 to 2 inch chunks. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the beef chunks in the seasoned flour; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add beef chunks a few at a time, so as not to overcrowd the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Remove cooked meat, and continue browning remaining meat. Return reserved cooked meat to the pot. Stir in pureed chile mixture. Add beef stock to just cover beef chunks, or to personal preference. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to lowest setting, and simmer for 3 hours, or until meat is tender. If necessary, adjust with more stock during cooking.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 543.7 calories, Carbohydrate 6.3 g, Cholesterol 136.1 mg, Fat 41.6 g, Fiber 0.7 g, Protein 33.7 g, SaturatedFat 15.9 g, Sodium 624.3 mg, Sugar 1 g
NEW MEXICO RED CHILE SAUCE
Red chile is a staple of the New Mexican and West Texan diet, and this recipe is my grandmother's recipe. When I make it, it reminds me of the smells of her cooking in her kitchen, fresh corn tortillas, beans, and red chile peppers. You can kick up the spiciness by adding more arbol chile pods.
Provided by Cookincwgrl
Categories Side Dish Sauces and Condiments Recipes Sauce Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Coat the bottom of a heavy saucepan with oil; add chile pods. Toast over medium heat until aromatic, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in onion and garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add enough chicken stock to allow pods to float; simmer until they develop the texture of wet leather, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Fill blender halfway with chile-stock mixture. Cover and hold lid down with a potholder; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend. Pour into a bowl; repeat with remaining mixture. Strain sauce through a fine mesh strainer into a saucepan over medium heat. Discard solids.
- Stir cumin, coriander, and oregano into the saucepan; add honey. Cook until sauce is thick and evenly coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 370.9 calories, Carbohydrate 52.3 g, Cholesterol 0.7 mg, Fat 8.1 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 11.7 g, SaturatedFat 0.8 g, Sodium 711.9 mg, Sugar 6.5 g
More about "red chile sauce chile colorado recipes"
THE DEFINITIVE RED CHILE SAUCE RECIPE! – #1 RANKED …
CHILE COLORADO | NEW MEXICO RED CHILE SAUCE
EASY CHILI COLORADO RECIPE - SWEET AND SAVORY MEALS
NEW MEXICO NOMAD RECIPES : RED CHILE SAUCE
CHILE COLORADO (ALTERNATIVE RECIPE) | FRESH CHILE
CHILE COLORADO | FRESH CHILE - THE FRESH CHILE COMPANY
AUTHENTIC CHILE COLORADO RECIPE - CHEF DENNIS
BUENO CHILI RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
EASY SLOW COOKER CHILE COLORADO - FLAVORFUL EATS
CHILE COLORADO + VIDEO | KEVIN IS COOKING
RED CHILI COLORADO SAUCE RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
CHILE COLORADO SAUCE (BASIC RED CHILE SAUCE)
ASADO DE CHILE COLORADO (PORK IN RED SAUCE) - MUY …
ISABEL EATS - EASY MEXICAN RECIPES
LEARN TO MAKE CHILI COLORADO IN AN INSTANT POT - THE …
CHILI COLORADO - RECIPE - CHILI PEPPER MADNESS
CHILE COLORADO WITH PORK - G'DAY SOUFFLé
RED CHILE SAUCE (SALSA DE CHILE COLORADO) - ZARELA
CHILE COLORADO (BEEF IN RED CHILE SAUCE) RECIPE | SPARKRECIPES
SALSA DE CHILE COLORADO (RED CHILE SAUCE) RECIPE BY ANGELA CARLOS
BEEF CHILE COLORADO RECIPE - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
CHILE COLORADO (RED CHILE SAUCE) | FRIEDA'S INC. - THE SPECIALTY ...
RED CHILE SAUCE CHILE COLORADO - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
AUTHENTIC MEXICAN RED CHILE SAUCE - REBOOTED MOM
CHILE COLORADO | A WICKED WHISK
CHILE COLORADO (FROM RED CHILE PUREE) - BUENO FOODS
COLORADO RED CHILI SAUCE RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
COLORADO RED CHILE ENCHILADAS SAUCE - PASS THE SUSHI
BEEF CHILE COLORADO | SO MUCH FOOD
MRS. SANCHEZ'S RED CHILE SAUCE | SAVEUR
AUTHENTIC RED SAUCE FOR ENCHILADAS - MUY BUENO COOKBOOK
NEW MEXICO RED CHILE SAUCE (CHILE COLORADO) - BLYTHES BLOG
CHILE COLORADO RECIPE - A RECIPE FOR SOUTHWEST CHILE COLORADO
CHILE SAUCE RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
CHILE COLORADO RECIPE - THE ART OF FOOD AND WINE
PORK STEW IN RED CHILE SAUCE (ASADO DE CHILE COLORADO)
CHILE COLORADO (HOW TO MAKE AHEAD, FREEZE, ETC.)
CHILE COLORADO - FOR THE LOVE OF COOKING
CHILE COLORADO RECIPE (MEXICAN BEEF STEW) | LEMON BLOSSOMS
BUENO® SIGNATURE RED CHILE SAUCE - BUENO FOODS
EL CHARRO SALSA DE CHILE COLORADO (BASIC RED CHILE SAUCE)
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love