NEBRASKA'S STUFFED BEEF SANDWICHES
When I moved to Nebraska, I discovered many ethnic foods that I had never heard of before. A friend introduced me to this runza recipe, a German-Russian beef sandwich, and it quickly became a family favorite. -Dolly Croghan, Mead, Nebraska
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Place 1-3/4 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Heat the milk, water and shortening to 120°-130°. Pour over flour mixture; add the eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until blended. Beat 3 additional minutes on high. Stir in the remaining flour; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes., Place dough in a greased bowl; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour., Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the cabbage, seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper; cook until cabbage is wilted., Punch dough down; divide into 12 portions and cover. Working with 1 piece at a time, roll into a 6-in. square. Place 3/4 cup meat mixture in the center of each square. Fold dough over filling, forming a rectangle. Pinch edges tightly to seal and place on greased baking sheets., Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 433 calories, Fat 16g fat (5g saturated fat), Cholesterol 84mg cholesterol, Sodium 524mg sodium, Carbohydrate 48g carbohydrate (10g sugars, Fiber 4g fiber), Protein 23g protein.
RUNZA (THINK CHEESEBURGER)
My mom is from Nebraska. After she moved away and left her beloved Runza, she had to come up with a substitute! For picky children, leave out the veggies! If you are not familiar with Runza, just know that it is similar to a cheeseburger.
Provided by lindsey.k.bell
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- 1. Brown ground beef. Drain.
- 2. Saute onion & pepper and add to beef.
- 3. Unroll cresecent rolls. Place beef inside cresecent rolls. You can be creative in how you roll them. You can place beef inside a cresecent roll and roll it up how you would normally roll a cresecent roll or you may choose to shape them in a rectangle, or shape like a real Runza. I shape them into a rectangle using about four of the triangles. Two on the top, two on the bottom.
- 4. The cheese can be added on the inside or the outside. I prefer to put it on top on the beef before rolling. If you want to put it on the outside, just add cheese on top with five minutes left in baking time.
- 5. Bake according to your crescent roll directions.
- 6. Serve with Ketchup & Mustard!
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Seperate rolls to make 8 squares.
- Put some meat mixture in each rolls.
- Then pull roll corners together and pinch shut.
- Bake 15 minutes or until brown according to instructions on crescent rolls.
- Place 1 3/4 cups flour into a bowl. Stir in sugar, yeast, and salt.
- Combine milk, water, and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high until warm (120 to 130 degrees F/50 to 55 degrees C), 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour heated milk into the flour mixture. Add eggs and beat at low speed for 30 seconds. Switch to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining flour. Knead until smooth, about 3 minutes. Cover the bowl with waxed paper and a towel; let rest for 20 minutes.
- Cook ground beef and onion in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until beef is browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- At the same time, melt butter in a separate skillet over medium heat. Add cabbage and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add cabbage to beef mixture with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a large baking sheet.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface until very thin. Cut into 6 squares or rectangles, whichever you prefer. Place 3 tablespoons beef filling in the center of each shape. Bring corners together, pinch edges to seal, and place right-side up onto the prepared baking sheet. Let rise until an indentation remains when lightly pressed with a finger, 40 to 60 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven until dough is done and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 731.1 calories, Carbohydrate 94.1 g, Cholesterol 97.8 mg, Fat 30.1 g, Fiber 4.1 g, Protein 20.5 g, SaturatedFat 10.1 g, Sodium 676 mg, Sugar 20.2 g
More about "runza think cheeseburger recipes"
HOMEMADE RUNZAS - NEBRASKA'S FAMOUS RUNZA RECIPE …
10 BEST RUNZA RECIPES | YUMMLY
BEST RUNZA RECIPE FROM A NEBRASKA GAL: MY 5 SECRETS!
YUMMY CHEESEBURGER RUNZAS RECIPE KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
NEBRASKA RUNZAS (BIEROCKS) - FRUGAL HAUSFRAU
VEGETARIAN CHEESEBURGER BUNS - SWEET RECIPEAS
VENISON RUNZAS | MEATEATER COOK
RUNZA SANDWICH RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
RUNZA BIEROCK RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
QUICK BLACKSTONE RUNZA RECIPE - OR WHATEVER YOU DO
RUNZA BURGER RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY RECIPES AND …
FAMILY RECIPE: GRANDMA’S RUNZAS (NEBRASKA MEAT PIES)
RUNZAS RECIPE - TOM KERRIDGE
THE CHEW: CHEESEBURGER FUNZA RECIPE - FOODUS.COM
CHEESEBURGER RUNZAS | RUNZA RECIPE, RUNZAS RECIPE, FOOD
RUNZA'S (CABBAGE BURGER'S) - RECIPECIRCUS.COM
HOW TO MAKE AUTHENTIC RUNZAS - YEYFOOD.COM
CHEESEBURGER RUNZA® SANDWICH | RUNZA
CHEESEBURGER | RUNZA
HOMEMADE RUNZA RECIPE
ALL THE BEST RECIPES AT CRECIPE.COM
RUNZA JUNIOR CHEESEBURGER (PLAIN): CALORIES & NUTRITION FACTS
RUNZAS, AKA BIEROCKS | SANDWICH TRIBUNAL
RUNZA INN - CHEESEBURGER RUNZA - MYFITNESSPAL
CHEESEBURGER RUNZAS | RUNZAS RECIPE, SAVORY MEATS, SPRING PIZZA …
RUNZA CASSEROLE RECIPE – EASY GROUND BEEF CABBAGE DINNER!
RUNZA - BACON CHEESEBURGER THE RUNZA WAY CALORIES, CARBS
CHEESEBURGER RUNZAS | BEEF STEAK RECIPES, RUNZAS RECIPE, RUNZA …
RUNZA BURGER RECIPES | SPARKRECIPES
RUNZA CHEESEBURGER RUNZA SANDWICH: CALORIES & NUTRITION FACTS
A “WORLD FAMOUS” RUNZA SANDWICH…? - MEEMAW EATS
RUNZAS (BIEROCKS) – RHODES BAKE-N-SERV
COPYCAT NEBRASKA RUNZAS - SUMPTUOUS SPOONFULS
RUNZA - CHEESEBURGER CALORIES, CARBS & NUTRITION FACTS | MYFITNESSPAL
RUNZAS - SWANKY KITCHEN
1/4 LB. CHEESEBURGER (THE RUNZA WAY) - EAT THIS MUCH
RUNZA RECIPE WITH CRESCENT ROLLS - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
RUNZA RECIPE WITH CRESCENT DOUGH BEST RECIPES
EASY HOMEMADE RUNZA RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
NEBRASKA'S HOMEMADE RUNZA - MY FARMHOUSE TABLE
RUNZA - JR. CHEESEBURGER (PLAIN) CALORIES, CARBS & NUTRITION FACTS ...
RUNZA BURGERS RECIPE - FOOD NEWS - FOODNEWSNEWS.COM
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make Runza casserole?Runza Casserole is inspired by a world-famous sandwich made with ground beef and cabbage. This is a filling, delicious and affordable way to feed a family! Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Roll out one tube of crescent rolls and place on the bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 5 minutes.
What is a runza sandwich?Make Nebraska's famous Runza Sandwich at home! A bread dough pocket, filled with cabbage, onion, and seasoned ground beef, baked until golden brown. This recipe makes one dozen sandwiches but is easily cut in half. OR you can make them and freeze them!
How to make runzas from Frozen bread dough?When I use the frozen bread dough, I usually thaw out all three loaves (they should be 1 lb each). Then divide each loaf into 4 pieces, giving you 12 Runzas. It usually is plenty of dough to roll to the 6×8 size. Reply Lance James March 4, 2020 at 9:40 PM I am in Kansas now also. My wife saw me reading this page and got so excited.
How many cheese Runzas in a batch?Actually, a batch and a half – one dozen cheese Runzas exactly as listed above, then an experimental half-dozen “Italian style.” For half a batch worth of filling, I chopped and sauteed one large bell pepper and half an onion, plus a pound of homemade turkey italian sausage.