NEXT LEVEL SALMON EN CROûTE
Take salmon en croûte to chef standard. Succulent salmon, cream cheese and dill are encased in crisp puff pastry with a pickled cucumber side
Provided by Barney Desmazery
Categories Main course
Yield Serves 6-8
Number Of Ingredients 15
- The day before you want to assemble the en croûte, mix the salt and sugar in a bowl. Scatter half of the mix over a tray, then lay one of the salmon fillets on top, skinned-side down, and scatter with more of the salt mix. Lay the second fillet on top, skinned-side up, and sprinkle over the rest of the salt mix. Cover, then place another tray on top. Weigh the tray down with a couple of tins and put in the fridge for up to 48 hrs, or for at least 12 hrs (the longer you leave it, the firmer the salmon will be).
- When you're ready to assemble the en croûte, unwrap the salmon fillets, rinse them in cold water and dry with kitchen paper, then set aside. Put the watercress, cream cheese, dill, lemon zest and juice, smoked salt (if using) and a generous grinding of pepper into a bowl and mix well, then set aside.
- Line a baking tray with parchment. Roll out half of the pastry on a lightly floured surface so it's 2.5cm larger in diameter than the salmon fillet, then drape it over the lined baking tray. Place one of the fillets on the pastry, skinned-side down, and spread with the cream cheese mix, then lay the second fillet on top, skinned-side up. Brush the edge of the pastry with a little of the beaten yolk. Roll out the rest of the pastry to fit, then drape it over the salmon and tuck it in at the sides. Trim the edges and crimp or press with a fork to seal. Brush with more beaten yolk, then put the en croûte in the fridge for 30 mins before using a spoon to create a scale-like effect along the top of the pastry. Chill for up to 24 hrs or for at least another 30 mins.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Bake for 20 mins, then glaze with the remaining yolk. Lower the heat to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and bake for 20 mins more, then remove and leave to stand for 10 mins.
- To make the pickle, put the cucumber and onion in a bowl. Tip the vinegar, sugar and a pinch of salt into a pan and bring to the boil. Once the sugar has dissolved, pour over the veg, toss well and set aside. Can be made up to two days ahead and kept in the fridge. Slice the en croûte into six portions and serve with the pickled veg on the side.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 619 calories, Fat 43 grams fat, SaturatedFat 16 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 24 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 5 grams sugar, Fiber 3 grams fiber, Protein 32 grams protein, Sodium 2.1 milligram of sodium
SALMON EN CROUTE
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mascarpone cheese, dill and zest and juice of the lemon to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside one-third of the filling and reserve for the sauce
- Pat a salmon filet with a paper towel to slightly dry. Place the filet at one end of a strip of phyllo, leaving a 3- to 4-inch overhang, and season with salt and pepper. Spread half of the remaining mascapone mixture over the filet then cover with an even, flat layer of the half the spinach leaves. Wrap the phyllo overhang over the filet and roll the salmon up in the dough, brushing the phyllo with butter as you roll. Tuck any excess phyllo under. Prepare the second piece of salmon the same way and place on one of the prepared baking sheets.
- Fold the last piece of phyllo 4 times to a quarter of its original size (an approximate 12-by-9-inch rectangle). Brush with butter and, using a 2-inch heart cutter, cut 6 hearts from the phyllo. Place on the other prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until the hearts are golden, 5 to 10 minutes, and the phyllo around the salmon is crisp, flaky and golden, about 20 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the reserved mascarpone mixture, the cream, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper. Warm (do not boil) over medium heat. Serve the salmon packets with a drizzle of cream sauce and top each with 3 hearts. Serve extra sauce on the side.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together the water, oil and egg. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and using a wooden spoon or a Danish whisk, stir the mixture until a shaggy dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead until the dough is a bit smoother. Then "slap" the dough and turn it over and knead it until smooth; this could take between 5 to 10 minutes. You can also mix the dough in a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment. This takes about 10 minutes. Cover the dough in plastic wrap and allow to rest a room temperature for 2 hours.
- Cover a table (at least 36 inches square) with a clean tablecloth. Sprinkle the cloth all over with flour. Gently press the dough into a rough 12-by-12-inch square and then gently pull the dough into a large square, about 36 inches. Use a pair of clean kitchen scissors to cut the thicker edges off the perimeter and discard them. Allow the dough to rest to dry out just a bit, about 5 minutes.
- Adapted from "Pie it Forward: Pies, Tarts, Tortes, Galettes and Other Pastries Reinvented" by Gesine Bullock-Prado © Abrams 2012. Provided courtesy of Gesine Bullock-Prado. All rights reserved.
SALMON EN CROUTE
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and 1 teaspoon garlic; cook and stir until mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Transfer onion and mushroom mixture to a small bowl.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the same skillet. Add remaining 1 teaspoon garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add spinach; cook and stir until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Transfer to another bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a glass baking dish with parchment paper.
- Dust work surface with flour. Lay 1 puff pastry sheet out on work surface. Spread onion and mushroom mixture evenly across pastry, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Center salmon on top. Sprinkle paprika over salmon and top with wilted spinach. Cover with second puff pastry sheet. Fold over and crimp edges to seal. Brush top with beaten egg. Transfer to baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until pastry is golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes. Slice into 4 portions.
- Whisk mayonnaise, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and dill together in a small bowl. Spoon sauce onto 4 plates and place a piece of salmon on each.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1205.9 calories, Carbohydrate 60.8 g, Cholesterol 131.6 mg, Fat 85.7 g, Fiber 2.6 g, Protein 47.8 g, SaturatedFat 18.3 g, Sodium 652.6 mg, Sugar 2.4 g
SALMON EN CROUTE
- Skin and bone the salmon and set aside. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F/230 degrees C.
- Cut the tips off the asparagus. Reserve the stems and poach the tips in boiling salted water until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain well, refresh in ice cold water, then drain again, leaving to sit so that all the water comes off. Puree the asparagus and stir in the creme fraiche, dill and lemon zest to blend. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Lay 1 sheet of puff pastry on a damp baking sheet with the long edge facing you. Lay the salmon on the pastry, like a picture in its frame. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread the top of the salmon with the asparagus puree. Lay the raw stems of asparagus on top of the puree, like pencils.
- Brush the margins of the pastry with the egg wash. Lay the second sheet of pastry over the salmon and press the edges to seal, like a giant ravioli. Trim the edges, leaving a 1-inch/2.5 cm border. Press with the tines of a fork, then, with the dull edge of a knife, scallop the edges. Make 2 or 3 slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Brush all over with the egg wash and bake until puffed up and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before slicing. This dish is also good at room temperature.
SALMON EN CROUTE
Very simple fish dish
Provided by neddylock
Yield Makes Parcels
Number Of Ingredients 0
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200ÃÂC/fan oven 180ÃÂC.
- Put the salmon fillets on a board and spoon a quarter of the cheese mixture on to the middle of the top of each fillet.
- Cut the pastry sheet into 4 and place salmon piece on to each piece.
- Wrap each rectangle around the middle of each salmon fillet and over the dollop of soft cheese, like a belt.
- Transfer to a non stick baking tray and spray with
- the cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes until the pastry is golden and the salmon is cooked.
GORDON RAMSAY'S SALMON EN CROUTE
- Line baking sheet with a lightly oiled piece of foil.
- Mix softened butter with lemon zest, herbs, some salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Pat salmon fillets dry then season lightly with salt and pepper. Spread the herb butter over one filet on the boned side and the mustard evenly over the other filet. Sandwich the two fillets together in opposite directions so both ends are of even thickness.
- Roll out the pastry thinly on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle about 1/4 in. thick and large enough to enclose the salmon. Put salmon parcel in the center of the pastry and brush the surrounding with egg. Bring up the edges, trimming off any excess, and tuck them in before folding the rest of the pastry over to form a neat parcel. Carefully turn the whole thing over so that the seam is underneath and place on the prepared baking tray.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg. Lightly score a herringbone or cross-hatch pattern using the back of a knife. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover loosely and chill for 15 min. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 400 F.
- Bake 20-25 min. until the pastry is golden brown and crisp. To test if ready, insert a skewer into the middle. It should feel warm for medium cooked salmon. A piping hot skewer indicates the fish is well done.
- Rest salmon for 5 min. then cut into portions using a serrated knife. Serve with hollandaise sauce, new potatoes and broccoli or minted peas.
More about "salmon en croute recipes"
EASY SALMON EN CROûTE | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES
Servings 4Calories 712 per servingTotal Time 55 mins
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas 7. Peel and chop the onion and place in a large non-stick pan on a medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Peel, finely slice and add the garlic. Finely grate in the lemon zest, then cook for 10 minutes, or until softened, stirring regularly.
- Stir in the spinach, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, then remove the lid and cook for another 5 minutes, or until all the liquid has cooked away.
10 BEST VEGETABLES WITH SALMON EN CROUTE RECIPES | YUMMLY
SALMON “EN CROUTE” | RICARDO
SALMON EN CROUTE | RECIPE - RACHAEL RAY SHOW
SALMON EN CROUTE RECIPES - BBC FOOD
SALMON EN CROûTE - RECIPE WITH IMAGES - MEILLEUR DU CHEF
CREAMY SALMON EN CROUTE RECIPE - FOOD CHANNEL
SALMON EN CROûTE RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER SALMON RECIPES
SALMON EN CROUTE (OR SALMON PASTY!) - JAMES MARTIN CHEF
SALMON EN CROûTE - SIMPLE 5 INGREDIENT RECIPE - PRIMA
SALMON AND SPINACH EN CROUTE RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
SALMON EN CROUTE : RECIPES - COOKING CHANNEL
GORDON RAMSAY'S SALMON EN CROûTE RECIPE | SALMON EN CROUTE RECIPE
SALMON EN CROUTE WITH SPINACH FILLING | RACHAEL RAY
SALMON EN CROUTE RECIPE - YOUTUBE
SALMON EN CROUTE | RECIPES | DELIA ONLINE
WILD ALASKAN SALMON EN CROUTE RECIPE | MEAN GREEN CHEF
SALMON EN CROûTE - CHOWHOUND
CLASSIC FRENCH SALMON EN CROUTE - JACKSLOBODIAN
SALMON EN CROUTE | MAIN COURSE RECIPES | GOODTOKNOW
SALMON EN CROUTE RECIPE - AN EASY RESTAURANT-QUALITY DISH AT HOME
SALMON EN CROûTE - ZARS KITCHEN
PUFF PASTRY WRAPPED SALMON - SALMON EN CROûTE RECIPE
DAD'S CLASSIC SALMON EN CROUTE RECIPE - WHAT DAD COOKED
SALMON EN CROûTE RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
EASY SALMON EN CROUTE - ETALK
HOW DO YOU STOP SALMON EN CROUTE GOING SOGGY? - SELECTED RECIPES
SALMON EN CROûTE RECIPE - OLIVEMAGAZINE
SALMON WELLINGTON – EASY RECIPE WITH STEP-BY-STEP VIDEO – WELL …
SALMON EN CROûTE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
SALMON EN CROUTE RECIPE - KEEFCOOKS.COM
3 BEST SALMON EN CROûTE RECIPE EASY TIPS FOR SPECIAL NIGHTS
GORDON RAMSAY’S SALMON EN CROUTE RECIPE - KITCHEN TRICKS
SALMON EN CROUTE WITH DILL CREAM SAUCE - SIMPLY DELICIOUS
GORDON RAMSAY HOW TO COOK SALMON - THERESCIPES.INFO
SALMON EN CROUTE RECIPE EASY - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
RECIPE: FORTNUM'S SALMON EN CROUTE - ABSOLUTELY.LONDON
INDIVIDUAL SALMON EN CROûTE - BRADLEY'S FISH
PESTO SALMON EN CROûTE - GILLIAN'S KITCHEN
BEST SALMON EN CROUTE RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
SALMON EN CROUTE RECIPE - THEOCOOKS
SALMON EN CROUTE - DELICIOUS DINNER BY FLAWLESS FOOD
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #main-dish #seafood #salmon #fish #saltwater-fish
You'll also love