MEXICAN SHEPHERD'S PIE
This is a Mexican version of the Shepherd's Pie that is so popular in the UK. I decided to try this one night when I did not have any mashed potatoes. Its cheap, quick and easy...and my kids loved it! Serve with a tossed green salad for a great family meal!
Provided by Michelle Blanchard Ardillo
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the beef and onion in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until beef is evenly brown and onion is tender. Drain grease. Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix in the tomatoes, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until thickened. Transfer to the prepared baking dish, and top evenly with corn.
- Prepare the corn muffin mix according to package directions. Spread evenly over the corn layer in the baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until puffed and golden. Garnish with olives and cheese.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 407.2 calories, Carbohydrate 33.9 g, Cholesterol 70.6 mg, Fat 19.8 g, Fiber 1.8 g, Protein 22.6 g, SaturatedFat 8.4 g, Sodium 1222.5 mg, Sugar 7.1 g
MEXICAN SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH CORNMEAL BUTTERMILK TOPPING
The topping on this "pie" is really wonderful. Make it first and let it sit while you prepare the meat filling. Use the jalapeno if you want some heat, or use dried chili flakes.
Provided by Cookin-jo
Categories Savory Pies
Yield 9 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 17
- For the topping beat together eggs, buttermilk and butter. Whisk in the dry ingredients until smooth and set aside.
- Brown ground beef with the onions and peppers. Drain off fat and return to the pan.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Pour into an ungreased 8 by 8 inch baking dish and level off the top.
- Spread topping over the meat.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Prep time includes time to simmer the meat mixture.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 276.1, Fat 14.7, SaturatedFat 5.8, Cholesterol 96.7, Sodium 709.8, Carbohydrate 18.3, Fiber 2.8, Sugar 4.8, Protein 18.5
HEARTY SHEPHERD'S PIE
Fresh rosemary adds great flavor to the convenience products used in this comforting recipe. This is great on cold days and makes a very filling meal with just a piece of corn bread. -Melissa Birdsong, Gilbert, South Carolina
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, peas and carrots, mushrooms, water, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper; heat through. Transfer to a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate., In a large bowl, beat the mashed potatoes, cream cheese, sour cream and remaining garlic powder until blended. Spread over top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese., Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and potatoes are lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts :
MEXICAN SHEPARDS PIE W/ CORNBREAD TOPPING
Another variation of mexican shepards pie, this one has a sweet cornbread topping. All ingredients are listed as "a can of this... a can of that" but you can substitute fresh ingredients if you like :)
Provided by VelcrowMistress
Categories Black Beans
Yield 1 pretty full 9x13 dish, 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning according to package directions.
- Drain grease and spread ground beef in a layer across a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Add a layer of nacho cheese, and spread 1/2 of the shredded cheese in a layer.
- Mix the corn and the beans together and add them in as a layer.
- If you are using any of the optional filling ingredients, mix them together and add them as a layer now.
- Add the remaining cheese in a layer. Set this dish aside while you mix the cornbread using the directions below in Step 12.
- Once your cornbread batter is prepared, carefully spread the batter in an even layer across the top of your dish. If you want to get extra fancy, you can pipe the batter layer and create pretty designs for your crust.
- Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes, or until a golden brown crust forms and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Optional: Melt 2 tbsp butter with 1 clove of peeled, crushed garlic and 1 tsp sugar to make a sweet and flavorful garlic butter to brush on the cornbread as it comes out of the oven.
- Allow to cool 5-10 minutes, then chow down.
- Cornbread Instructions:.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl, then add the egg and buttermilk, one at a time, forming a medium-thick batter.
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE BY TASTY
Here's what you need: olive oil, ground lamb, salt, pepper, large onion, large carrots, garlic, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, red wine, chicken stock, yukon gold potato, unsalted butter, large egg yolks, sour cream, grated parmesan cheese
Provided by Matthew Johnson
Yield 12 servings
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220˚C).
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the ground lamb, season with salt and pepper, and fry for 5 minutes, until cooked through.
- Add the onion, carrots, garlic, thyme, and rosemary, stir, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the veggies are softened and the meat is well-browned.
- Add the tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce and stir to incorporate. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the liquid evaporates and the meat is aromatic.
- Pour in the red wine and reduce until almost completely evaporated.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, and cook the meat until the stock has evaporated, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender. Drain, then return to the hot pan over low heat to dry out a bit.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and mash until smooth.
- Add salt, the butter, egg yolks, sour cream, and Parmesan cheese. Fold until well combined.
- Transfer the potatoes to a piping bag or zip-top bag fitted with a star tip.
- Spoon the lamb mixture into a large baking dish. Pipe the golden mashed potatoes over the lamb.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the potatoes are golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 655 calories, Carbohydrate 34 grams, Fat 40 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 36 grams, Sugar 4 grams
GRANDMAS HAMBURGER PIE WITH CORNBREAD TOPPING
My grandma made this for us as kids all the time. She passed away two years ago and I recently came across a lot of her recipes and wanted to share them with the Zaar world. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did. It's a quick and easy one dish meal. I always fix up a salad to go with it. This recipe has lots of possibilities. You could add green beans and potatoes to the mixture as well.Addition: I have realized that I did leave out an ingredient in the topping. I found the recipe and looked and--sure enough, you need milk.
Provided by gertc96
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Brown hamburger, onion and green peppers in pan.
- Drain the grease.
- Stir in corn and tomatoes and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a 9x13-inch pan.
- Mix cornbread topping and pour over hamburger mixture.
- Bake at 425° for 35-45 minute.
SOUTHWESTERN SHEPHERD'S PIE
This easy meal is hearty and colorful, with a great blend of Southwest flavors and heat! -Suzette Jury, Keene, California
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2 casseroles (7 servings each).
Number Of Ingredients 17
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the enchilada sauce, flour, chipotle peppers, cumin and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes., Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the water, milk, butter and salt; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in potato flakes until combined. Add chiles and 1/2 cup cheese., Transfer meat mixture to 2 greased 11x7-in. baking dishes. Layer with corn, mashed potato mixture and remaining cheese. Sprinkle with green onions. Cover and freeze 1 casserole for up to 3 months. , Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Sprinkle with paprika., Freeze option: Thaw casserole in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. , Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until bubbly, or until a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°, 15-20 minutes longer. Sprinkle with paprika.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 399 calories, Fat 20g fat (11g saturated fat), Cholesterol 77mg cholesterol, Sodium 973mg sodium, Carbohydrate 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 26g protein.
CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE SHEPHERD'S PIE
This is a combination of my favorite corned beef and cabbage recipe, and my favorite shepherd's pie recipe. It involves a few extra steps when compared to your traditional boiled beef dinner, but the payoff at the end is well worth the extra effort. By layering the ingredients in a casserole dish, each serving has the perfect proportions of beef, cabbage, carrots, and potatoes.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Put corned beef in a pot with onion and celery and sprinkle spice packet over top. Pour in cold water to cover. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Skim off and discard any foam if desired. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer gently until tender, about 3 1/2 hours. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 145 degrees F (63 degrees C).
- Carefully remove corned beef to a bowl and let cool. Taste broth and add salt if needed.
- Bring broth to a boil over high heat. Add cabbage to the boiling broth. Cook until cabbage just starts to soften and sweeten up, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon and remove cabbage to a bowl.
- Add carrots to the boiling broth. Cook until carrots start to soften, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon and remove carrots to a bowl.
- Add potatoes to the boiling broth and reduce heat to medium. Cook until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, slice the cooled corned beef along the fatty seam to separate into 2 pieces. Identify the direction of the meat fibers and cut across them (against the grain) to slice into 1/4-inch thick slices, trimming off and discarding any giant pieces of fat. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a 9x15-inch casserole dish.
- Use a slotted spoon and remove cooked potatoes to a bowl. Reserve broth. Add butter, salt, pepper, cayenne, and milk to the potatoes. Mix and mash until very smooth. Toss in 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese and mix until incorporated.
- Pour cabbage into the prepared casserole dish and press on it until nicely compacted. Evenly distribute and press carrots over the cabbage. Place a nice, even layer of corned beef on top, overlapping a bit and distributing the nice fatty pieces evenly until fully covered. Pour in 1 cup of the reserved broth. Dollop mashed potatoes over top, then spread into a uniform layer with the back of a spatula. Switch to a fork and push potatoes to the edge of the dish. Then drag the fork sideways back and forth over the potatoes to create a texture. Repeat this texture going top to bottom over the potatoes. Sprinkle with a little more Cheddar.
- Bake in the center of the preheated oven until beautifully browned and piping hot, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm any remaining broth over medium-low heat.
- Cut Shepherd's pie into squares and garnish with scallions. Serve with warmed broth.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 664 calories, Carbohydrate 59 g, Cholesterol 143.5 mg, Fat 35.3 g, Fiber 9.8 g, Protein 31.3 g, SaturatedFat 16.4 g, Sodium 1330 mg, Sugar 9 g
GROUND BEEF SHEPHERD'S PIE
This hearty supper-in-one sent by Elaine Williams is ideal for small families. The Surrey, British Columbia cook uses ground beef, frozen veggies and canned gravy to hurry along the down-home dinner.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the gravy, vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. , Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Spread potatoes over the top. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 457 calories, Fat 18g fat (8g saturated fat), Cholesterol 93mg cholesterol, Sodium 890mg sodium, Carbohydrate 37g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 36g protein.
More about "shepherds pie with cornbread crust recipes"
SHEPHERD’S PIE WITH CORNBREAD TOPPING
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
10 BEST SHEPHERDS PIE WITH CORN RECIPES | YUMMLY
25 BEST SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPES | EASY SHEPHERD'S PIE ...
THANKFUL SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE | GIADA DE LAURENTIIS ...
Author Giada De LaurentiisSteps 3Difficulty Easy
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - AN EASY CLASSIC | DOWNSHIFTOLOGY
SHEPHERD'S CORN PIE - CHILEAN PASTEL DE CHOCLO | ALL THAT ...
SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH CORNBREAD CRUST - ALL INFORMATION ...
SHEPHERD'S PIE - HEARTY CASSEROLE! - JULIE'S EATS & TREATS
JIFFY CORNBREAD SHEPHERDS PIE RECIPES | SPARKRECIPES
THE BEST CLASSIC SHEPHERD'S PIE - THE WHOLESOME DISH
SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH LEFTOVER ROAST BEEF OR LAMB RECIPE
CLASSIC SHEPHERDS PIE RECIPE | A FARMGIRL'S KITCHEN
10 BEST SHEPHERD PIE WITH PASTRY CRUST RECIPES | YUMMLY
SIMPLE SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE | LAND O’LAKES
BEST SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE BEEF SHEPHERD'S PIE
SHEPHERD'S PIE | RECIPETIN EATS
HEARTY SHEPHERDS PIE RECIPE WITH CORN AND POTATOES ...
SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH CORNBREAD CRUST - NH-OUTDOORS
CLASSIC SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - ALTON BROWN
SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH CORNBREAD CRUST - CREATE THE MOST ...
SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH CORNBREAD RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ...
THE BEST SHEPHERD'S PIE - THIS IS NOT DIET FOOD
SHEPHERDS PIE RECIPE EASY PEASY | FOUR GENERATIONS ONE ROOF
OLD FASHIONED SHEPHERD'S PIE - THESTAYATHOMECHEF.COM
SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH CORNBREAD - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
SHEPHERD'S PIE - ONCE UPON A CHEF
JIFFY CORNBREAD SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST ...
CORNBREAD SHEPHERD'S PIE - SOYMATES
SHEPHERD'S PIE - CAMPBELL SOUP COMPANY
EASY SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH POTATO CRUST HACK - FAMILY SAVVY
CLASSIC SHEPHERD'S PIE - SWANKY RECIPES
SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH CORNBREAD CRUST : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION ...
SHEPHERD'S PIE - COOKING CLASSY
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE WITH CRUST - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING ...
THANKSGIVING SHEPHERD'S PIE | LEFTOVER TURKEY SHEPHERD'S PIE
CORNED BEEF SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
CORNBREAD SHEPHERDS PIE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
CORNBREAD AND PINTO BEAN SHEPHERD’S PIE RECIPE
CHRISTMAS SHEPHERDS PIE WITH GROUND BEEF RECIPE - PAULA DEEN
Tasty Cornbread Shepherd's Pie | Cornbread Casserole Secret Recipe2.6K views-11:26
Cornbread Shepherdess Pie (Gluten-Free,Plant based)2K views-10:14
Shepherd's Pie w Cornbread1.5K views-02:18
Easy Shepherd's Pie with cream corn Recipe2.3K views-12:00
Easy Shepherd's Pie | Recipe9.3K views-03:02
Easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe534K views-09:27
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make Shepherd’s Pie?How To Make Shepherd’s Pie. (Note – The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post) Sauté some chopped onions in olive oil. Add ground beef or ground lamb. Add dried parsley, dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook the meat mixture until the meat is browned. Add minced garlic and Worcestershire sauce.
How to cook frozen corn on the cob for Shepherd's pie?Cook frozen corn and set aside. In a 9x11 baking dish, spread a layer of meat, then creamed style corn and potato. Repeat this layering process using the cooked frozen corn. Season top layer of potato with salt, pepper and paprika. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. How to make an easy Shepherd's Pie with a 30 minute bake time.
How long does it take to cook a corned beef Shepherd's pie?Corned Beef and Cabbage Shepherd's Pie Sarastro Corned Beef and Cabbage Shepherd's Pie Margaret Mayes + 77 more images Recipe Summary prep: 40 mins cook: 4 hrs 50 mins
What kind of meat is used in Shepherd's pie?The Best Classic Shepherd's Pie - AKA Shepards Pie or Cottage Pie. Ground Beef (or lamb) with vegetables in a rich gravy, topped with cheesy mashed potatoes and baked. Make the Meat Filling. Add the oil to a large skillet and place it over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.