SICILIAN GREEN BEANS
Fresh green beans taste even more delicious when you dress them up in Sicilian style, with pasta sauce, Parmesan and pine nuts.
Provided by My Food and Family
Yield Makes 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Trim and discard ends from beans. Add beans to boiling water; cook until crisp-tender. Drain; set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add onions; cook 3 min. or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Add beans and pasta sauce; mix lightly. Cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with cheese and pine nuts.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 180, Fat 10 g, SaturatedFat 2.5 g, TransFat 0 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 220 mg, Carbohydrate 0 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugar 0 g, Protein 7 g
LOW-FAT CHOCOLATE SICILIAN GELATO
After lots of experimenting to develop a low-fat ice cream or gelato, I came up with this recipe. Despite the lengthy instructions, it's very simple to make. I couldn't believe how wonderfully rich and creamy it turned out to be. The secret is in the cocoa powder, which makes the gelato dense and rich without adding fat. Because the gelato contains no fat, leftovers will freeze hard. To soften, defrost leftovers in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds.
Provided by Allison
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Whisk 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch together in a small bowl until smooth to make a slurry.
- Combine the remaining milk, sugar, and cocoa powder in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Add espresso powder and the cornstarch slurry. Bring back to a boil; stir gelato mixture until thickened like pudding, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; transfer to a metal bowl. Stir in vanilla extract and salt.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water; set the bowl of gelato mixture inside. Stir frequently until cooled, about 7 minutes. Remove metal bowl from ice bath; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until completely chilled, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer gelato mixture into an ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions, about 20 minutes. Pour gelato into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze until solid, about 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 136.7 calories, Carbohydrate 29.8 g, Cholesterol 2.1 mg, Fat 1.1 g, Fiber 2.4 g, Protein 5.1 g, SaturatedFat 0.6 g, Sodium 85.9 mg, Sugar 22.2 g
HEALTHY GARLIC GREEN BEANS
"Because this recipe is easy to prepare, healthy and delicious, it has become the only way I make green beans," says Clara Saxe of Colorado Springs, Colorado. The versatile beans feature plenty of garlic and Italian seasoning and complement most any entree.
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a 15x10x1-in. baking pan, toss green beans, oil, garlic and Italian seasoning until beans are well coated. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 79 calories, Fat 5g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 203mg sodium, Carbohydrate 9g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
SICILIAN GREEN BEANS (LOW FAT)
- Cover and microwave frozen green beans and 1/4 cup water in a quart microwave safe container for 11 minutes on high, stirring half way through.
- In another bowl combine mustard, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and pepper.
- When beans are done, drain liquid and then pour mustard mixture over beans, tossing to coat.
SAGE AND GARLIC BLACK BEANS (LOW FAT)
- Heat oil and add garlic, peppers, and bay leaf and saute until peppers are just barely soft (about 4 minutes) (DO NOT LET GARLIC BURN).
- Add beans, sage and sauce and saute again until heated through (3 minutes).
- Remove bay leaf and serve as a side dish or a dip.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 142.2, Fat 2.8, SaturatedFat 0.4, Sodium 4, Carbohydrate 22.4, Fiber 8.1, Sugar 0.7, Protein 8
SICILIAN POTATO SALAD
Fresh basil is the star of this mayo-free, Italian-inspired take on potato salad. -Sue Falk, Warren, Michigan
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 26 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Place potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain; rinse with cold water. Pat dry., Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add beans; cook, uncovered, just until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Drain; immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry., Peel and cube potatoes; sprinkle with remaining salt and the pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl. Add beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, onion and 3/4 cup basil leaves. Whisk together oil, vinegar and garlic. Drizzle over vegetables; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining basil.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 96 calories, Fat 4g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 143mg sodium, Carbohydrate 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
ITALIAN GREEN BEANS AND POTATOES
- Cook potatoes and garlic in a large pot of boiling salted water (3 tablespoons salt for 6 quarts water), uncovered, until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl with a slotted spoon and coarsely mash with oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Keep warm, covered.
- Cook green beans in boiling water, uncovered, until tender, 6 to 10 minutes (beans may not be bright green). Drain, then stir into mashed potatoes in bowl. Drizzle with oil.
MARILYN'S GREEN BEANS ITALIANO
- Place the green beans in a saucepan with a lid and pour enough water over the beans to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover; simmer until the beans are tender but still crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain. Spread the beans onto paper towels to dry.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat; stir the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese into the melted butter. Reduce heat to low; add the beans and cook and stir until the beans are heated through and the crumbs are beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the parsley over the mixture to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 155.5 calories, Carbohydrate 14.9 g, Cholesterol 23.4 mg, Fat 9.5 g, Fiber 3.7 g, Protein 4.7 g, SaturatedFat 5.6 g, Sodium 282.5 mg, Sugar 2.2 g
More about "sicilian green beans low fat recipes"
SICILIAN STYLE GREEN BEANS - ELIZABETH MINCHILLI
Reviews 17Estimated Reading Time 5 minsServings 6-8
33 HEALTHY GREEN BEAN RECIPES | COOKING LIGHT
10 PROTEIN-PACKED CANNED BEAN RECIPES UNDER 500 …
SEASONED FLAT ITALIAN GREEN BEANS SOUTHERN STYLE
SICILIAN STYLE GREEN BEANS - MEALPLANNERPRO.COM
SICILIAN GREEN BEANS RECIPE. HEALTHY FOOD FOR YOU. - YOUTUBE
SICILIAN GREEN BEANS - MY RECIPE MAGIC
VEGETARIAN TIMES RECIPE - SICILIAN STYLE ROASTED GREEN BEANS (NO …
SICILIAN POTATO AND GREEN BEAN SALAD - FOOD NEWS
SICILIAN CHICKEN RECIPE | MYRECIPES
SICILIAN POTATO AND GREEN BEAN SALAD - BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
SICILIAN BEANS RECIPE BY CALORIE.LESS.COOKING | IFOOD.TV
GREENS AND BEANS (AN ITALIAN AMERICAN, COMFORT FOOD RECIPE)
SICILIAN GREEN BEANS (LOW FAT) - CHAMPSDIET.COM
ITALIAN GREEN BEANS (AUTHENTIC AND TRADITIONAL) - CHRISTINA'S CUCINA
SICILIAN GREEN BEANS - GLUTEN FREE RECIPES
116 GREEN BEAN RECIPES BY TITLE - PAGE 8
HEALTHY ITALIAN RECIPES | OLIVEMAGAZINE
SICILIAN GREEN BEANS RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
SEASONED SELECT BEANS SICILIAN STYLE - 15.5OZ - HANOVER FOODS
ITALIAN GREEN BEANS WITH TOMATOES - MY LIFE COOKBOOK
SICILIAN-STYLE ROASTED VEGETABLES WITH BALSAMIC SYRUP RECIPE
ITALIAN GREEN BEANS - THE FOOD HUSSY
SICILIAN BEANS WITH PASTA - CANADIAN LIVING
MINESTRA: HEALTHY GREENS AND BEANS - CHRISTINA'S CUCINA
HOW TO COOK GREEN BEANS - GREAT ITALIAN CHEFS
ITALIAN GREEN BEANS RECIPE WITH PARMESAN CHEESE AND BREAD CRUMBS
SICILIAN GREEN BEAN SALAD WITH HERBS AND TOASTED ALMONDS
ITALIAN GREEN BEANS - GARLIC AND OLIVE OIL - SIP AND FEAST
LOW-FAT RECIPES FOR EVERY COURSE - CHATELAINE
SUMMER GREEN BEANS SALAD WITH SICILIAN PEPPER VINAIGRETTE
SICILIAN POTATO AND GREEN BEAN SALAD - MIDWEST LIVING
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How much olive oil do you put in green beans?Ingredients 1 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans 2 2 tablespoons olive oil 3 3 garlic cloves, minced 4 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning 5 1/8 teaspoon salt 6 1/8 teaspoon pepper More ...
How to cook green beans in the oven?The versatile beans feature plenty of garlic and Italian seasoning and complement most any entree. In a 15x10x1-in. baking pan, toss green beans, oil, garlic and Italian seasoning until beans are well coated. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
What seasoning do you use to cook green beans?The versatile beans feature plenty of garlic and Italian seasoning and complement most any entree. In a 15x10x1-in. baking pan, toss green beans, oil, garlic and Italian seasoning until beans are well coated.
How do you cook beans in a cast iron skillet?In the morning drain the beans and place in a cast iron pot with 2 cups of chopped onions (2 whole medium onions) and 5 cups of water. Boil the beans and onions on medium heat for 1.5 or 2 hours with the pot half covered.