An old-fashioned, tender shortcake with two layers of strawberries topped with whipped cream.
Provided by Denyse
Categories Desserts Fruit Dessert Recipes Strawberry Dessert Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Slice the strawberries and toss them with 1/2 cup of white sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease and flour one 8 inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons white sugar and the salt. With a pastry blender cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk. Stir until just combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool partially in pan on wire rack.
- Slice partially cooled cake in half, making two layers. Place half of the strawberries on one layer and top with the other layer. Top with remaining strawberries and cover with the whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 430.2 calories, Carbohydrate 55.2 g, Cholesterol 65.8 mg, Fat 21.4 g, Fiber 3.6 g, Protein 6.6 g, SaturatedFat 9.5 g, Sodium 347 mg, Sugar 23.3 g
I grew up helping my mom make a lot in our farmhouse kitchen; strawberry shortcakes, roasts, soups and pies. This sunny strawberry shortcake recipe brings back memories of family summers on the farm. -Janet Becker, Anacortes, Washington
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 9 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack. , Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberries. Replace top of cake; garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and more berries. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 231 calories, Fat 7g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 22mg cholesterol, Sodium 188mg sodium, Carbohydrate 39g carbohydrate (20g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 4g protein.
Make a from-scratch Strawberry Shortcake recipe from Food Network with fresh whipped cream, juicy strawberries and homemade shortcake.
Provided by Mary Nolan
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Mix strawberries with 3 tablespoons sugar and refrigerate while juices develop, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add heavy cream and mix until just combined. Place mixture in an ungreased 8-inch square pan and bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove shortcake from pan and place on a rack to cool slightly. Cut into 6 pieces and split each piece in half horizontally.
- Spoon some of the strawberries with their juice onto each shortcake bottom. Top with a generous dollop of whipped cream and then the shortcake top. Spoon more strawberries over the top and serve.
- Using a mixer, beat the heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest until soft peaks form, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
Make this easy strawberry shortcake and impress your friends. Macerate fresh strawberries in sugar and spoon over tender biscuits, then top with whipped cream. It'll be your go-to strawberry shortcake recipe!
Provided by Elise Bauer
Categories Dessert Baking Berries Biscuit Mother's Day Shortcake Strawberry
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Prep the strawberries: Cut the stems away from the strawberries and discard. Cut the strawberries in half, and then in either quarters or thick slices.
- Macerate the strawberries with sugar: Put the cut strawberries into a large bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Start with 1/4 cup of sugar and then add up to another 1/4 cup depending on how sweet your strawberries are. Gently stir the strawberries until they are all coated with some sugar. Let sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes, until the berries soften and begin to release their juices.
- Mash some of the strawberries: After 20 minutes or so, mash about a quarter of the berries in the bowl with a potato masher and stir to mix. You don't want to mash all the berries, just enough of them for their juices. Let sit while you bake the biscuits.
- Bake the biscuits: Use the recipe below to bake the biscuits.
- Make the whipped cream: While the biscuits are baking, whip the cream using an electric mixer, adding a drop or two of vanilla and 2 teaspoons of powdered sugar. Cover with plastic and place in the refrigerator to chill until ready to serve. To serve, break up one biscuit per person into big pieces into a bowl. Ladle strawberries over the biscuit. Add a dollop of whipped cream.
- Stir the flour with dry ingredients: In a large bowl, vigorously whisk together 3 cups of the flour, the sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Work in the butter: Cut the butter into the flour mixture, either using your fingers, a pastry cutter, a fork, or a food processor, until the largest pieces of butter are the size of peas.
- Add the wet ingredients: Stir together the milk and cream, add the vanilla extract. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour the milk mixture into it. Mix with a fork or wooden spoon until the mixture is just combined. It should look rather shaggy. If it is too wet to work with, sprinkle some of the remaining 1/4 cup of flour over it. Gently knead by hand a few times to form a loose ball of dough, adding more flour if needed. It should be slightly tacky but not wet.
- Chill the dough: Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and form it into an 8-inch square, about 3/4-inch to an inch thick. Place it on a parchment or silicone-lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- Bake the biscuits: Heat the oven to 425ºF. Remove the dough from refrigerator. Cut the dough into 9 even squares and space them about 2 inches apart from each other on the baking sheet. Bake until the biscuits are medium golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Makes 9 biscuits.
- Serve: Split the biscuits, if you like, and top with the macerated strawberries and whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 529 kcal, Carbohydrate 66 g, Cholesterol 74 mg, Fiber 4 g, Protein 8 g, SaturatedFat 16 g, Sodium 445 mg, Sugar 24 g, Fat 27 g, ServingSize Serves 6 to 9, UnsaturatedFat 0 g
To prevent the baked biscuits from crumbling when you cut them, wait until they are cool, and use a serrated bread knife to slice them in half very gently. Once sliced, fill them with fresh strawberries and homemade whipped cream for a classic take on this old-fashioned dessert.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Categories Food & Cooking Dessert & Treats Recipes Cake Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, toss strawberries with 3/4 cup sugar; let sit to bring out their juices.
- In a food processor, pulse flour, baking powder, 1/2 cup sugar, and the salt until combined. Add butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal but with some pea-size bits of butter remaining, 10 to 12 times. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup cream and the eggs; pour over flour mixture, and pulse until some large clumps begin to form, 25 to 30 times.
- Using a half-cup measuring cup, gently pack dough, invert, and then tap out onto a baking sheet. Repeat to form 8 biscuits. Bake until lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool, about 15 minutes.
- Beat remaining 1 1/2 cups cream and 2 tablespoons sugar with the vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Slice biscuits in half horizontally. Spoon strawberries and their liquid over bottom halves. Spoon whipped cream on strawberries, and replace top halves of biscuits.
CLASSIC STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
Buttery biscuits and freshly whipped cream are a delicious way to showcase summer strawberries. Martha made this recipe on "Martha Bakes" episode 709.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Categories Food & Cooking Dessert & Treats Recipes
Yield Serves 6 to 8
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Prepare the berries: Toss the strawberries with lemon juice and sugar to combine. Let macerate at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Make the biscuits: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk to combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix together 1 1/4 cups heavy cream and 1 egg. Add to flour mixture and stir with a fork just until dough starts to come together but is still crumbly.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 6-by-9-inch rectangle, about 2 inches thick. With a short side facing you, fold the bottom third up as you would a business letter, followed by the remaining third. Pat into a square. With a 2 1/2-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut biscuits from dough and place them, evenly spaced, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Gather dough scraps together, fold once, and gently pat into a square. Cut out remaining biscuits. Whisk remaining egg and 1 tablespoon cream, then brush egg wash over tops of dough rounds. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon sanding sugar.
- Bake until tops are golden brown brown, rotating sheet halfway through, about 25 minutes. Transfer biscuits to a wire rack and let cool slightly.
- When ready to serve, whip cream in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Split biscuits in half and place a bottom half on each plate. Top generously with berries and their juice, then top with dollops of whipped cream followed by remaining biscuit halves. Scatter a few more strawberries on top and around plates.
EASY STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKES
A layered shortcake that brings sunshine to the table no matter what the season!
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Sprinkle strawberries with 1/2 cup sugar; let stand 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 450°F. Grease bottom and side of round pan, 8x1 1/2 inches.
- Cut shortening into flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder and salt in medium bowl, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in milk just until blended. Pat dough in pan.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Split layer horizontally in half while hot. Spread with butter; fill and top with strawberries. Serve warm with cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 450, Carbohydrate 66 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Fiber 4 g, Protein 6 g, SaturatedFat 8 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 680 mg
There's a kind of magic in a summer recipe that you can make wherever you are, provided that wherever you are has, say, flour, butter, an oven and whatever fruit is most glorious is at that very moment. This is one such recipe, so simple that you can decide that you're having shortcake for dessert and make it so within the hour, and so satisfying that it may become your go-to for summer, the recipe you keep in your back pocket. Strawberries are the classic choice, but this would also be heavenly in high summer with very ripe peaches or any other juicy, macerated fruit.
Provided by Nancy Harmon Jenkins
Yield 4 generous servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Pick over and hull strawberries. Cut in half or slice, depending on size. Gently crush about a quarter of the berries with a fork to release their juices. Mix with remaining berries and the 1/2 cup of sugar, adding more sugar if necessary. Set aside, covered, for about half an hour to develop flavor.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Into a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt and baking powder. Add 3/4 cup of softened butter, and rub into dry ingredients as for pastry. Add 1 1/4 cups cream, and mix to a soft dough. Knead the dough for one minute on a lightly floured pastry board, then roll it out to about 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut an even number of rounds - 2 rounds per serving.
- Use a little of the butter to grease a baking sheet. Place half the rounds on it. Melt remaining butter and brush a little on the rounds; place remaining rounds on top. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and pull shortcakes apart. Brush the insides with some of the remaining melted butter.
- Beat remaining cream until it thickens. Add vanilla. Beat again just until thick.
- Place a bottom half of a shortcake on each plate. Top with a generous spoonful of berries. Cover with a top half, add a few more berries, and top with whipped cream. Serve immediately.
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE CAKE
This simple and utterly delicious 13x9 strawberry shortcake cake is the epitome of summer, and we just can't seem to get enough of it. Start with a box of Betty's buttery yellow cake mix and watch this summertime sensation come to life. Once the cake is perfectly golden brown, layer with a homemade cream cheese frosting and top with sweetened strawberries. The combination of the fluffy topping and juicy berries makes for a crowd-friendly dessert you can bet will star at any potluck.
Provided by Jessica Walker
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with shortening or spray bottom only with cooking spray.
- Make and bake 13x9-inch cake as directed on box, using water, oil and eggs. Cool completely, about 1 hour
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spread evenly over cake.
- In medium bowl, gently stir together sliced strawberries and strawberry glaze. Spread mixture on top of cream cheese layer. Cut and serve. Store in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 520, Carbohydrate 64 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Fat 5 1/2, Fiber 1 g, Protein 4 g, SaturatedFat 15 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 350 mg, Sugar 47 g, TransFat 0 g
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE BY TASTY
Here's what you need: strawberry, granulated sugar, lemon zest, fine sea salt, all purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, fine sea salt, unsalted butter, heavy cream, flaky sea salt, whipped cream
Provided by Katie Aubin
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Marinate the strawberries: in a medium bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar, lemon zest, and salt. Set aside to marinate while you make the shortcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the cubed butter and, using your fingers, cut in the butter until pea-sized pieces form and the mixture starts to clump together. Add 1 cup (240 ml) cream and mix just to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a clean work surface and pat into a ¾-inch-thick (2 cm) rectangle. Cut into 8 squares. Use a pastry brush to brush the tops of each square with the remaining 1½ tablespoons of heavy cream and sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar and flaky salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the shortcakes are cooked through and golden on top.
- Cool the shortcakes, then split and serve with the marinated strawberries and whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 361 calories, Carbohydrate 40 grams, Fat 22 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 5 grams, Sugar 11 grams
STRAWBERRY & VANILLA SHORTCAKES
Encapsulate British summertime with these cute little shortcakes, perfect piled high with clotted cream and jam
Provided by Jane Hornby
Categories Afternoon tea, Dessert, Treat
Yield Make 8
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7 and lightly flour a baking sheet. Put the flour, butter, sugar, half of the vanilla seeds and ¼ tsp salt into the bowl of a food processor, then pulse until fine. Tip into a large bowl. Beat the milk, egg and a good squeeze of lemon together, then tip into the bowl and bring together with a knife, using a cutting action, until you have a clumpy dough. Finally bring together with your hands if you need to.
- Lightly flour the work surface, tip the dough onto it, then quickly shape into a smooth-ish disc. Using a rolling pin, pat out to 2cm thick. Cut out 8 rounds with a smooth 7cm cutter (you'll need to pinch together the trimmings). Glaze just the tops with beaten egg, transfer to the floured sheet, then bake for 10-12 mins until risen and golden, and they sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool on a wire rack.
- Beat the remaining vanilla seeds and icing sugar into the clotted cream. It will get runnier at first, but keep beating and it will thicken again. To serve, slice the very top from each shortcake to give a flat surface, then spoon over about 1 tsp jam. Top with a good dollop of the vanilla clotted cream and finish with the strawberries.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 502 calories, Fat 30 grams fat, SaturatedFat 18 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 55 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 22 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 6 grams protein, Sodium 0.82 milligram of sodium
GRANDMA'S OLD-FASHIONED STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
When my grandma served this shortcake, she usually topped it with homemade vanilla ice cream. -Angela Lively, Conroe, Texas
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Combine strawberries with sugar and vanilla; mash slightly. Let stand at least 30 minutes, tossing occasionally., Preheat oven to 400°. For shortcakes, whisk together flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add buttermilk; stir just until combined (do not overmix). Drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with 2 tablespoons heavy cream; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake until golden, 18-20 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely., For topping, beat heavy whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. To serve, cut shortcakes in half; top with strawberries and whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 638 calories, Fat 36g fat (22g saturated fat), Cholesterol 102mg cholesterol, Sodium 710mg sodium, Carbohydrate 72g carbohydrate (33g sugars, Fiber 4g fiber), Protein 9g protein.
More about "strawberry shortcake recipes"
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE (THE BEST) | RICARDO
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE (VIDEO) - NATASHASKITCHEN.COM
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE FROM SCRATCH - DON'T SWEAT …
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE - SWANKY RECIPES
10 BEST STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE CAKE MIX RECIPES | YUMMLY
PERFECT STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE | THE RECIPE CRITIC
SIMPLE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKES RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
BEST HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE - LITTLE SWEET BAKER
THE BEST STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE - ONCE UPON A CHEF
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPES - FOOD NETWORK
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPES: 14 WAYS TO MAKE THE …
BEST STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE - COOKING CLASSY
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE - FAVORITE FAMILY RECIPES
15 AMAZING STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPES - THE RUSTY SPOON
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE | DRISCOLL'S
THE MOST AMAZING STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE - I AM BAKER
RECIPES FOR STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE BEST RECIPES
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKES | NIGELLA'S RECIPES | NIGELLA LAWSON
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE - AMANDA'S COOKIN' - CAKE & CUPCAKES
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE | KING ARTHUR BAKING
25 BEST STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPES - RECIPES FOR HOLIDAYS
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE : BOOK RECIPES
CLASSIC STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
15 STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPES INCREDIBLY EASY TO MAKE AT HOME
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE - PILLSBURY.COM
CLASSIC STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE - THE FOOD CHARLATAN
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE - GEMMA’S BIGGER BOLDER BAKING
THE BEST STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE BISCUITS RECIPE – SUGAR GEEK SHOW
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKES
KETO STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE - KETOFOCUS
HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE - SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE | PAULA DEEN
BEST STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE - MOM ON TIMEOUT
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE LAYER CAKE – SUGAR GEEK SHOW
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
#time-to-make #course #preparation #low-protein #desserts #dietary #low-in-something #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love