What's a sunchoke, you might ask? It's a Jerusalem artichoke, part of the sunflower family. They are gnarly and have a nutty flavor. This gratin will work well with any starchy root vegetable, such as potato, parsnip, turnip, or with fennel. Adapted from a local chef, James McDevitt.
Provided by threeovens
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Reduce cream in a heavy saucepan over medium heat by about 1/3. Slice sunchokes very thin with a mandolin or in a food processor.
- Butter a small casserole or 8 inch square baking dish. Arrange a thin layer of sunchokes. Top with a few spoonfuls of cream, a few spoons of both cheeses, salt and pepper. Continue layering until you have used all the sunchokes. The top layer should be cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife. Run under the broiler for a few minutes to brown top, if desired.
JERUSALEM ARTICHOKES OR SUN CHOKES AU GRATIN (TOPINAMBOURS AU GRATIN)
- Preheat the broiler.
- Using a small regular or swivel-bladed paring knife, peel the artichokes. If the artichokes are very large, cut them in half. Ideally, the artichokes or pieces of artichoke should be of uniform size or the size of the smallest whole artichoke.
- Put the artichokes in a saucepan. Add cold water to cover and salt to taste. Bring to the boil. Let simmer about 10 to 15 minutes or until tender but still a little crisp. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, melt three tablespoons of the butter in a saucepan and add the flour, stirring with a wire whisk. Add the milk, stirring rapidly with the whisk. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Cut the hot artichokes into not-too-small bite-size cubes or wedges. There should be about two cups.
- Heat one tablespoon of butter in a saucepan and add the onion. Cook until wilted. Add the artichoke pieces, cream and cayenne. Bring to a boil and add the white sauce. Blend well. Bring to a simmer. Add three-quarters cup of the grated cheese and stir until melted. Add the egg yolk and let simmer about 15 seconds.
- Pour and scrape the mixture into a baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Place under the broiler and let stand until bubbling and nicely glazed on top.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 315, UnsaturatedFat 7 grams, Carbohydrate 21 grams, Fat 21 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 11 grams, SaturatedFat 13 grams, Sodium 441 milligrams, Sugar 11 grams, TransFat 0 grams
JERUSALEM ARTICHOKE GRATIN
Jerusalem artichokes also known as Sunchokes, are awkward-looking tubers even bumpier than fresh ginger. The flavor is much like a regular artichoke, though they are not related they are sweeter and a little starchier. They taste a little smokey and retain a crispness when cooked, if not overcooked. They cook very quickly, so be careful not to turn them to mush. The recipe calls for peeling them, though I just scrub them as the tender brown skin is edible. They make a good appetizer, are good raw in salads. NOTE; Since I posted and made this recipe "Uncle Bill" Bill Anatooskin has also made the recipe. He made it for a group of about 20 people,He said they DEVOURED every morsel and looked for more. Many had never eaten Jerusalem Artichokes. He e-mailed me the changes that he made, I made some changes to when making the recipe. So I combined the changes. We hope that you enjoy the artichokes.
Provided by Barb G.
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Scrub the sunchokes and slice into 1/4 thick slices.
- In a 13-inch-x-9-inch a baking dish, add melted butter.
- Arrange the sliced chokes in casserole so that they overlap slightly.
- Sprinkle with salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- If Using: Mix together onions & green onions; sprinkle over chokes.
- Sprinkle with Parmeasn chesse.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 18 to 20 minutes or until light golden crust begins to form on top.
- Remove from from oven, cover with release foil and let set for about 5 minutes before serving.
- The Jerusalem Artichokes should be slightly crunchy.
ROASTED JERUSALEM ARTICHOKES (OR SUNCHOKES)
This is a super-easy way to cook these vegetables if you've never tried them before and by far my favorite. Jerusalem artichokes, or sunchokes, are starchy tubers like potatoes and turnips. When roasted, the skin becomes flaky and the flesh becomes tender, but the taste of a sunchoke is slightly nutty and sweet. Cooked sunchokes are best when eaten within 2 days. When raw, they store well in your fridge's vegetable bin, wrapped loosely in a paper towel. Enjoy!
Provided by qwertycook
Categories Appetizers and Snacks
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Scrub Jerusalem artichoke tubers and cut out eyes. Cut tubers into 1-inch pieces.
- Mix olive oil, thyme, garlic, and sea salt together in a large bowl; add Jerusalem artichoke pieces and toss to coat. Arrange coated pieces in one evenly-spaced layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast in the preheated oven until Jerusalem artichokes are tender, 35 to 45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 449.9 calories, Carbohydrate 21.9 g, Fat 40.7 g, Fiber 2.7 g, Protein 2.6 g, SaturatedFat 5.7 g, Sodium 86.9 mg, Sugar 11 g
More about "sunchoke gratin recipes"
SUNCHOKE GRATIN AND MORE SUNCHOKE RECIPES - THYME …
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
SUNCHOKE GRATIN RECIPE -SUNSET MAGAZINE
4/5 (1)Estimated Reading Time 3 minsServings 6-8Calories 267 per serving
- In a 1- to 1 1/2-quart pan over high heat, bring 1 1/2 cups cream and thyme to a boil. Remove from heat and add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Peel sunchokes and potatoes, immersing in a bowl of water as peeled to prevent discoloration. If potatoes are wider than 1 1/2 inches, cut lengthwise into halves or quarters so they are closer to the width of sunchokes. Using a mandoline, food processor, or sharp knife, cut vegetables crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Immerse slices in water.
- Drain vegetables well. In a large bowl, mix vegetables with 1/3 cup of the cheese. Scrape into a lightly buttered shallow 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish and spread level. Pour cream mixture over vegetables. Cover dish tightly with foil.
- Bake in a 400º regular or convection oven until vegetables are very tender when pierced, 60 to 70 minutes. Remove foil. Spoon some of the cream in dish over vegetables; if there is very little liquid left in dish, drizzle an additional 1/4 cup cream over the top. Continue baking, uncovered, until vegetables are browned, 20 to 25 minutes longer.
SUNCHOKE GRATIN RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Servings 6-8Calories 267 per serving
DELICIOUS SUNCHOKE RECIPES TO MAKE YOU COOK LIKE A FOODIE - BRIT
POTATO AND SUNCHOKE GRATIN WITH LEEKS - UNFUSSYEPICURE.COM
FULL CIRCLE - RECIPE: SUNCHOKE AND POTATO GRATIN
SUNCHOKE GRATIN - SIPPITYSUP | RECIPE | EAT VEGGIES, SUNCHOKE, BIG …
POTATO AND SUNCHOKE GRATIN RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
CNN FOOD CENTRAL: SUNCHOKE GRATIN -- JANUARY 31, 2000
PKD RECIPES » SUNCHOKE GRATIN
SUNCHOKE GRATIN DAUPHINOIS, A RICH SATISFYING DISH!
SUNCHOKE (JERUSALEM ARTICHOKE) POTATO GRATIN, THYME FOR COOKING …
SUNCHOKE GRATIN, QUICK, EASY VEGETABLE RECIPES.
SUNCHOKES RECIPES – ADAM'S HEIRLOOMS
AU GRATIN POTATOES & SUNCHOKES - SWEET BEGINNINGS BLOG
SUNCHOKE GRATIN - SIPPITYSUP
SUNCHOKE RECIPES - NYT COOKING
10 BEST SUNCHOKE RECIPES | YUMMLY
SUNCHOKE AND POTATO GRATIN | RECIPE | POTATO GRATIN, RECIPES, …
SUNCHOKE GRATIN RECIPE - RECIPETIPS.COM
SUNCHOKE AND KALE GRATIN – NOT EATING OUT IN NEW YORK
SUNCHOKE SKILLET GRATIN - EDIBLE FINGER LAKES
SUNCHOKE AND POTATO GRATIN - BIGOVEN.COM
SUNCHOKES: WHAT THEY ARE AND HOW TO COOK THEM - COOKING LIGHT
SUNCHOKE GRATIN - JERUSALEM ARTICHOKE CASSEROLE RECIPE
SUNCHOKE AND BRUSSELS SPROUTS GRATIN | KITCHEN STORIES RECIPE AND …
RAASIPE | SUNCHOKE GRATIN
IT’S REALLY FALL!: SUNCHOKE AND POTATO GRATIN | EATER, UP!
RECIPE: SWISS CHARD AND SUNCHOKE GRATIN - CINCINNATI MAGAZINE
OVEN ROASTED SUNCHOKES (JERUSALEM ARTICHOKES) RECIPE
SUNCHOKE POTATOE GRATIN - RECIPECIRCUS.COM
SUNCHOKE GRATIN - JERUSALEM ARTICHOKE CASSEROLE RECIPE
SUNCHOKE AND TOMATO GRATIN RECIPE | MYRECIPES
EASY GRILLED SUNCHOKES (JERUSALEM ARTICHOKES) - THE SPRUCE EATS
SUNCHOKE, IDAHO® POTATO AND RACLETTE GRATIN
FULL CIRCLE - RECIPE: SUNCHOKE LATKES
SUNCHOKE GRATIN - LUNCH RECIPES
SUNCHOKE GRATIN, AND MORE SUNCHOKES.... | ARTICHOKE RECIPES, …
FARM FRESH TO YOU - RECIPE: SUNCHOKE AND POTATO GRATIN
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #jewish-sephardi #side-dishes #vegetables #asian #middle-eastern #easy #dietary #high-calcium #high-in-something #3-steps-or-less
You'll also love