MOM'S TRADITIONAL CREAMED ONIONS
- Peel onions, and drop into boiling water. Cook until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Set onions aside while you make the sauce.
- Melt butter or margarine in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour to make a paste. Mix together cooking water and milk. Add milk mixture slowly to the saucepan, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add onions, and transfer to a serving dish.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 211.7 calories, Carbohydrate 16.6 g, Cholesterol 40.3 mg, Fat 14 g, Fiber 0.3 g, Protein 5.4 g, SaturatedFat 8.8 g, Sodium 142.8 mg, Sugar 6.9 g
This dish is a perfect addition to the traditional holiday turkey dinner. In my family, neither Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner would be complete without serving creamed onions.
Provided by GREG IN SAN DIEGO
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Fill a large stock pot with water and heat to a rolling boil.
- Add unpeeled onions and blanch for about 3 minutes.
- Drain and allow onions to cool.
- Re-fill stock pot with water and again heat to boiling temperature.
- Peel each onion by cutting the root end, not the tail end) and then squeezing the onion from its skin.
- Add the onions to the boiling water and cook until fork tender but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, stir together all remaining recipe ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until boiling. Continue to cook and stir about one more minute, until sauce has thickened.
- Combine the fork tender cooked onions with the sauce and sprinkle with paprika.
This is my absolute favorite dish that my mom makes. The onions have a mild sweet flavor, and there's plenty of the rich creamy sauce. The sweetness makes a nice complement to the Peppered Beef Tenderloin. -Denise Bitner Reedsville, Pennsylvania
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add flour, salt and pepper to skillet; stir until smooth. Gradually stir in milk until blended., Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to medium. Return onions to the pan; heat through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 227 calories, Fat 20g fat (12g saturated fat), Cholesterol 56mg cholesterol, Sodium 684mg sodium, Carbohydrate 11g carbohydrate (8g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 3g protein.
- Blanch onions in a 3-quart pot of boiling water 1 minute, then drain in a colander and transfer to a bowl of cold water to stop cooking. Drain and peel onions.
- Put onions and 1 teaspoon salt in same pot and add fresh water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until onions are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well in colander and transfer to a buttered 2-quart baking dish.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 1- to 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, then add flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add cream in a stream, whisking, and bring to a simmer, whisking. Simmer sauce, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in pepper, nutmeg, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pour sauce over onions.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over moderately low heat, then add bread crumbs and cook, stirring, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle toasted crumbs evenly over onions and bake until sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes.
CREAMED PEARL ONIONS
- Blanch the pearl onions by placing them into a large pot of rapidly boiling water. Cook them for about 1 minute. Remove the onions from the water with a strainer, then plunge into an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Drain them, then remove the skins.
- Put the onions in a 3-quart saucepan and place over low-medium heat. Add the cream, bay leaves, parsley, garlic and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Then, remove the cover and add stock. Season again. Allow to cook down for 5 minutes to tighten up the cream sauce. Discard the garlic clove and bay leaves before serving.
EASY CREAMED ONIONS
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a small saucepan; cook onions in the boiling water until just tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup water in saucepan, and return onions to pan. Add butter to onions.
- Mix milk and quick-mixing flour together in a bowl; add to onion mixture. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in more quick-mixing flour if mixture is too thin.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 161.1 calories, Carbohydrate 16.2 g, Cholesterol 26.4 mg, Fat 9.7 g, Fiber 0.1 g, Protein 3.4 g, SaturatedFat 6 g, Sodium 117.7 mg, Sugar 5.2 g
CREAMED VIDALIA ONIONS
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a stoveproof gratin dish over medium-high heat; add 4 pounds Vidalia onions (cut into wedges) and cook 5 minutes. Add a pinch each of nutmeg, cayenne, salt and black pepper, then add 3 tablespoons white wine and simmer 2 minutes. Whisk 1 1/4 cups half-and-half and 3 tablespoons flour; stir into the onions and bring to a boil. Mix 2 tablespoons melted butter, 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), 2 tablespoons chopped chives, and salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the onion, cover with parchment paper and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and broil until golden, 5 more minutes.
CREAMED ONIONS WITH SAGE
You can make the bechamel sauce three days ahead (let it cool completely before refrigerating). The onions can be cooked, peeled, and refrigerated overnight. Heat the onions and sauce together over low heat before serving.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan, then add 2 tablespoons salt. Add onions, and cook until just tender, about 12 minutes. Drain. When cool enough to handle, trim root ends with a paring knife, and pop onions out of their skins. Let dry on a paper-towel-lined baking sheet.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, and whisk until mixture bubbles slightly but has not started to brown, about 1 1/2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk. Raise heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Stir in remaining 3/4 tablespoon salt, the nutmeg, and sage. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in onions, and cook over low heat until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes. Discard sage, retaining a few leaves for garnish if desired.
BAKED CREAMED ONIONS
Fantastic holiday side dish, has a bit of a kick. Guesstimated onion bag size. Whatever the standard bag at the store is, that's the size!
Provided by Kiwiwife
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook onions according to package and drain well.
- In saucepan, melt butter and add flour, cook 3 to 4 minutes Add cream, cheese and seasonings and simmer until thick.
- Add mixture to onions, top with breadcrumbs and heat 15 minutes or until bubbly in oven.
CREAMED PEARL ONIONS
When our children were small, we always celebrated Christmas at our house. This was one of many recipes I relied on that could be prepared a day in advance, which gave me more time to spend with guests. Everyone expected to see this vegetable dish on the table every year. -Barbara Caserman, Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil until tender, 6-7 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside., In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the parsley, cheese and onions., Pour into an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes; stir. Top with pimientos if desired. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until bubbly and heated through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 151 calories, Fat 10g fat (6g saturated fat), Cholesterol 33mg cholesterol, Sodium 440mg sodium, Carbohydrate 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 3g protein.
More about "creamed onions recipes"
INA GARTEN CREAMED ONIONS - THERESCIPES.INFO
CREAMED ONIONS RECIPE - ANOTHER MUSIC IN A DIFFERENT KITCHEN
LOW CARB CREAMED ONIONS - DIABETIC CHEF'S RECIPES
CREAMED ONIONS | COOK'S COUNTRY
10 BEST CREAMED ONIONS JULIA CHILD RECIPES | YUMMLY
CREAMED ONIONS - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
CREAMED ONIONS - REAL LIFE DINNER
EASY CREAMED ONIONS - BUBBAPIE
LIGHT CREAMED ONIONS | FOODLAND ONTARIO
CREAMED ONIONS - 40 APRONS
CREAMED ONIONS RECIPE | EATINGWELL
CREAMED ONIONS RECIPE - YANKEE MAGAZINE - NEW ENGLAND TODAY
SIMPLE CREAMED ONIONS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
CREAMED ONIONS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CREAMED ONIONS: AN EVER FAVOURITE OF THANKS GIVING HOLIDAY TABLE
CLASSIC CREAMED ONIONS - AUNT NELLIE'S
CREAMED ONIONS WITH THYME AND SAGE RECIPE - FOOD AND WINE
THIS WEEK FOR DINNER: ROSE'S CREAMED ONIONS RECIPE
CREAMED ONIONS - THE KITCHEN MAGPIE
THE BEST CREAMED ONIONS - THECOOKFUL
CREAMED ONIONS - AN EDIBLE MOSAIC™
CREAMED ONIONS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
ROASTED PARMESAN CREAMED ONIONS - BELLY FULL
CREAMED PEARL ONIONS | INSPIRATION KITCHEN
CREAMED ONIONS — RECIPE - THE NEW YORK TIMES
CREAMED PEARL ONIONS - CHEF JEAN PIERRE
RECIPE: SHERRY CREAMED ONIONS - THE CAMBRO BLOG
CREAMED PEARL ONIONS - UMAMI GIRL
CREAMED PEARL ONIONS - SPEND WITH PENNIES
FROZEN CREAMED ONIONS RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
CREAMY OVEN BAKED ONIONS IRISH STYLE
363 CREAMED ONIONS SLOW COOKER RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
RECIPE DETAIL PAGE | LCBO
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #low-protein #side-dishes #vegetables #dietary #low-sodium #low-in-something #onions
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make cream sauce with onions?About 30 minutes after the onions start roasting, start the cream sauce. Melt butter with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, whisking, until the mixture bubbles and is free of lumps, about 30 seconds.
Can You boil onions to make them creamy?Creamed onions are so delicious that you'll want to eat them year-round. Blanch onions in a 3-quart pot of boiling water 1 minute, then drain in a colander and transfer to a bowl of cold water to stop cooking. Drain and peel onions. Put onions and 1 teaspoon salt in same pot and add fresh water to cover by 1 inch.
How do you make creamed onions gluten free?To make your creamed onions gluten-free, use all-purpose gluten-free flour. To peel your pearl onions, boil a large pot of water. Trim the root ends off your onions before boiling them, then add them to the pot. Boil them for about 2 minutes, then drain.
How do you cook with pearl onions and cream?In a Dutch oven or large kettle, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil until tender, 6-7 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.