SWEET AND TANGY SAUTEED COLLARD GREENS
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in collard greens, in batches if necessary, until they wilt slightly and all fit in the skillet. Pour in water and cook, stirring occasionally, until bright green and tender, 5 to 7 minutes, regulating heat to prevent burning. Drain.
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, honey, ginger and butter together in a serving bowl for dressing. Add greens to bowl and toss with dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 127.8 calories, Carbohydrate 11 g, Cholesterol 19.1 mg, Fat 9.3 g, Fiber 3.2 g, Protein 2.3 g, SaturatedFat 4.9 g, Sodium 70.6 mg, Sugar 5.9 g
SWEET AND TANGY COLLARD GREENS
On New Year's Day, Julia Sullivan, chef at Henrietta Red in Nashville, TN, makes black-eyed peas and these collard greens. "It's something my mom has always done, and I think my grandparents, too. It's a superstitious thing. The black-eyed peas bring good luck, and the greens symbolize money." Finishing these collard greens with vinegar means they tend to be on the acidic side. If you like yours sweeter, add less vinegar and up the sugar.
Provided by Julia Sullivan
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium. Add bacon, if using, and cook, stirring occasionally, until some of the fat begins to collect in the pot and bacon starts to look shiny, about 5 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and softened, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Working in batches, add collard greens to pot, letting greens wilt slightly after each handful before adding more. Add broth, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring often, until greens wilt and lose about half of their original volume, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover pot, and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender and liquid is almost completely evaporated, 25-30 minutes. Stir in vinegar and sugar and cook another minute to allow sugar to dissolve; season with salt and pepper.
TANGY QUICK COLLARDS
- Remove the large center stems from the collard greens. Stack the leaves on top of each other and roll them as tightly as possible. Use a sharp chef's knife to slice the leaves as thinly as possible.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove three 1-by-2-inch strips of peel from the lime. Finely chop the peel.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, wide pot over medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic, mustard, jalapeno and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until very fragrant and the garlic is pale golden, about 3 minutes. Add the vinegar and simmer until almost completely reduced. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the collard greens. Cook, tossing with tongs, until just slightly wilted, about 3 minutes. Serve warm.
SPICY SWEET COLLARDS
- Add the oil to a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic and the red pepper flakes. Cook until slightly caramelized for about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the greens and toss well to wilt. Add the sugar and broth and toss together. Turn the heat down and cover. Cook until liquid is evaporated and greens become glazed, tossing occasionally, about 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
SWEET AND SOUR GREENS
- Cook the bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until browned and crisp, about 8 minutes, stirring often. Transfer bacon pieces into a bowl with a slotted spoon, leaving the drippings in the pan.
- Stir water, vinegar, sugar, salt, and black pepper into the bacon drippings until the sugar has dissolved; bring the mixture to a boil. Place collards into the boiling mixture, and stir to mix well. Cover the Dutch oven, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until the greens are tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Drizzle in a little more water or vinegar if greens become too dry.
- Spoon greens into a serving dish, and sprinkle with the cooked bacon pieces.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 187.4 calories, Carbohydrate 20.7 g, Cholesterol 14.3 mg, Fat 10.1 g, Fiber 5.1 g, Protein 5.9 g, SaturatedFat 3.2 g, Sodium 240.1 mg, Sugar 13.1 g
TANGY 'N' SPICY VEGETARIAN COLLARD GREENS
These greens definitely have a kick. They're a perfect mixture of spice, veggies, herbs, and smoke, without the meat. They've got an edgy spice to them that authentic Caribbean and Mexican-cuisine lovers will enjoy. Even better, they're good for you - without the meat, without the fat, and without all the salt. For this recipe, use a regular eating spoon as your "teaspoon," and make all of your tablespoons slightly heaping (and slightly overflowing, for your tablespooned liquids). Enjoy!
Provided by KezCaL
Categories Collard Greens
Yield 4-5 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Clean 3 bunches of collard greens thoroughly by sprinkling with salt, washing and rinsing. Cut greens as desired, then set aside.
- In a large pot, heat 7 cups of water and brown sugar to boiling.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sautee garlic, onion, and both peppers until tender. Add contents of skillet to the water and reduce heat to medium.
- As water continues to boil gently, add liquid smoke, vinegars, bay leaves, thyme, celery salt, black pepper, cheesecloth-bagged coriander, onion powder, red pepper, and Worcestershire sauce to pot.
- Add all greens to pot, stirring gently to submerge greens into broth.
- Cook on medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Then reduce heat to low and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Taste the "pot liquor" and add the extra cup of water if desired to reduce the "kick", making your greens more mild and less spicy.
- Serve with sweet cornbread.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 293.6, Fat 12.1, SaturatedFat 1.7, Sodium 97.7, Carbohydrate 40.1, Fiber 15, Sugar 11, Protein 11
More about "sweet and tangy collard greens recipes"
COLLARD GREENS RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
4.9/5 (11)Estimated Reading Time 1 minServings 8
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium. Add bacon, if using, and cook, stirring occasionally, until some of the fat begins to collect in the pot and bacon starts to look shiny, about 5 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and softened, 5–7 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Working in batches, add collard greens to pot, letting greens wilt slightly after each handful before adding more. Add broth, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring often, until greens wilt and lose about half of their original volume, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover pot, and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender and liquid is almost completely evaporated, 25–30 minutes. Stir in vinegar and sugar and cook another minute to allow sugar to dissolve; season with salt and pepper.
SWEET & TANGY COLLARD GREENS | INDIANAPOLIS FOOD …
SWEET & TANGY COLLARDS - BLACK FOODIE
SWEET AND TANGY SAUTEED COLLARD GREENS | RECIPE | BALSAMIC …
SWEET AND TANGY COLLARD GREENS | RECIPE | COLLARD GREENS RECIPE ...
SPICY COLLARD GREENS - SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN
SWEET AND TANGY SAUTEED COLLARD GREENS RECIPE - TAMPA BAY …
15+ COLLARD GREENS RECIPES — EASY, VERSATILE, AND TASTY
THE BEST COLLARD GREENS RECIPE | SOUTHERN & FLAVORFUL WITH VIDEO
SWEET AND SPICY COLLARD GREENS - MONKEY AND ME KITCHEN …
SWEET AND TANGY COLLARD GREENS - MISTY VALLEY FARM, INC.
SWEET AND SPICY COLLARD GREENS - SOUTHERN KITCHEN
SWEET AND TANGY SAUTEED COLLARD GREENS - SOUTHERN RECIPES
SWEET AND TANGY SAUTEED COLLARD GREENS RECIPE - RECIPES.NET
EASY SWEET COLLARD GREENS RECIPE - THIS MAMA COOKS! ON …
SWEET & TANGY SAUTEED COLLARD GREENS – COMFORT SPRING
SWEET AND TANGY COLLARD GREENS | ONIONS | BOSTON ORGANICS
SOUTHERN STYLE COLLARD GREENS; SAVORY RECIPE - JETT'S KITCHEN
SWEET & SPICY COLLARD GREENS | TASTY KITCHEN: A HAPPY RECIPE …
BLACK FOLKS SOUL FOOD COLLARD GREENS RECIPE
SWEET AND TANGY COLLARD GREENS | RECIPE | COLLARD GREENS, COLLARDS ...
SWEET AND SPICY PICKLED COLLARD GREENS - AMANDA RAE WELLNESS
BEST COLLARD GREENS RECIPE EVER - THERESCIPES.INFO
SEARCH RESULTS FOR 'SWEET AND TANGY COLLARD GREENS'
LIBERIAN COLLARD GREENS RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
10 BEST SWEET COLLARD GREENS RECIPES | YUMMLY
SPICY VEGAN COLLARD GREENS RECIPE IN 2022 - MEDEDONLINE.ORG
SOUTHERN COLLARD GREENS - SOULFULLY MADE
SOUTHERN COLLARD GREEN SLAW - THERESCIPES.INFO
SWEET AND TANGY COLLARD GREENS - MEALPLANNERPRO.COM
VEGAN COLLARD RECIPES - THERESCIPES.INFO
SWEET AND TANGY COLLARD GREENS - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
SWEET AND TANGY SAUTEED COLLARD GREENS | RECIPE | COLLARD GREENS …
SWEET AND TANGY SAUTEED COLLARD GREENS | RECIPESTY
SWEET AND SPICY COLLARD GREENS - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
SWEET AND TANGY COLLARD GREENS | PUNCHFORK
SWEET AND TANGY SAUTEED COLLARD GREENS | RECIPE | COLLARD GREENS …
SWEET AND TANGY SAUTEED COLLARD GREENS - ONION
You'll also love