SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY
Learn how to make sweet shortcrust pastry. You'll be surprised how easy it is, then you can make all sorts of desserts like our apple and blackberry pies
Provided by Miriam Nice
Categories Afternoon tea, Dessert
Yield Makes around 300g
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Put 150g plain flour and 75g unsalted butter in a bowl and rub together with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in 50g icing sugar and a pinch of salt followed by 1 egg yolk. If the pastry feels too dry to form a dough, add 1 tbsp water. Shape the dough into a ball, flatten it out into a disc, wrap it in cling film, then chill for at least 30 mins before using in your recipes. You could try using it to make our apple & blackberry pies.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 275 calories, Fat 14 grams fat, SaturatedFat 8 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 33 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 10 grams sugar, Fiber 1 grams fiber, Protein 4 grams protein, Sodium 0.2 milligram of sodium
OLD-FASHIONED SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY
This pastry is perfect for making apple and other sweet pies. Even if you've never made pastry before, as long as you stick to the correct measurements for the ingredients and you follow the method exactly, you'll be laughing. The one place where you can experiment is with flavoring. If you don't fancy using lemon zest, try another dry ingredient like orange zest instead. Or a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg or cocoa powder. Vanilla seeds are great too. Just remember to be subtle and don't go overboard with any of these flavors! Try to be confident and bring the pastry together as quickly as you can - don't knead it too much or the heat from your hands will melt the butter. A good tip is to hold your hands under cold running water beforehand to make them as cold as possible. That way you'll end up with a delicate, flaky pastry every time. PS. You can also make this pastry using a food processor
Provided by Jamie Oliver
Yield about 2 pounds
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Sift the flour from a height onto a clean work surface and sift the icing sugar over the top. Using your hands, work the cubes of butter into the flour and sugar by rubbing your thumbs against your fingers until you end up with a fine, crumbly mixture. This is the point where you can spike the mixture with interesting flavors, so mix in your lemon zest. Add the eggs and milk to the mixture and gently work it together until you have a ball of dough. Flour it lightly. Don't work the pastry too much at this stage or it will become elastic and chewy, not crumbly and short. Flour your work surface and place the dough on top. Pat it into a flat round, flour it lightly, wrap it in plastic wrap and put it into the refrigerator to rest for at least half an hour.
SHORTCRUST SWEET PASTRY
As this is a book about what I cook and what I find easy at home I'm not going to hide the pastry recipe in a small corner in the back of the book. I find it such a simple thing to make, pre-make, freeze and vary; it is such an asset to home cooking and so versatile.
Provided by Jamie Oliver
Yield 2 x 30cm tart moulds
Number Of Ingredients 5
- You can make this pastry by hand or in a food processor. Cream together the butter, sugar and a pinch of sea salt, then rub or pulse in the flour and egg yolks.
- When this mixture has come together, looking like coarse breadcrumbs, add the cold milk or water.
- Pat and gently work together to form a ball of dough. Lightly flour and push, pat and squeeze into shape. The idea is to get your ingredients to a dough form with the minimum amount of movement, i.e. keeping your pastry flaky and short (the more you work it, the more elastic it will get, causing it to shrink in the oven and be chewy - ooooh no, matron).
- I normally roll the pastry into a really large, short and fat sausage-shape, wrap it in clingfilm and place it in the fridge to rest for at least 1 hour.
- Carefully slice off thin slivers of your pastry (don't try to slice frozen pastry) lengthways, around 5mm thick. (I personally like it around that thickness as it's delicate, but you can make it thicker if you want, it just takes longer to cook.)
- Place the slivers in and around the bottom and sides of your tart mould, just fitting them together like a sort of jigsaw. Then simply push the pieces together, level out, then tidy up the sides by pushing with your thumb and either cleaning off the excess pastry from the rim of the mould, or allowing it to hang over the edge - which is quite rough but I like it.
- Once you've finished lining your tart mould you must again allow it to rest for at least 1 hour, preferably in a freezer (I always store my pastry in the freezer because it keeps so well).
- I always line two tart moulds and freeze one for another day (or you could make more if you want, just double the recipe, as it takes no extra time).
- It's so easy to grab a tart out of the freezer, bake it in minutes and fill it with something simple or elaborate, and if guests turn up or you just want to make a nice dessert, it makes pudding a piece of cake!
- To start with, I always bake tart shells for around 15 minutes at 180°C/350°F/gas 4, which will cook the tart all the way through, colouring it slightly.
- Once completely cooled it can be filled with any of the uncooked fillings, such as Fruit-filled Mascarpone Tart and Simple chocolate tart, which will hopefully provide a basis for you to make up and vary your own.
- With baked fillings such as Almond Tart or Lemon & Lime Cream Tart you'll have to bake the tart blind first, which means cooking the shell at 180°C/350°F/gas 4 but only for about 12 minutes, so that it's only lightly coloured but just cooked through.
- Another way, commonly used, is to fill the tart shell with clingfilm or greaseproof paper and fill it with beans (you can use rice, lentils, peas, whatever), the idea being that you pack the beans in so tightly that they will stop the sides of the pastry from dropping.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then carefully remove the beans and cook for a further 5 to 10 minutes. Yes, this is a bit of a performance and I only ever do it when I'm having bad luck, quite honestly if you take your tart shell straight out of the freezer and place it in a preheated oven you shouldn't have any problems.
- After baking blind, you add your filling and bake further until the filling is cooked (see recipes for cooking times).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 197 calories, Fat 10.0 g fat, SaturatedFat 5.9 g saturated fat, Protein 2.6 g protein, Carbohydrate 25.6 g carbohydrate, Sugar 8.9 g sugar, Sodium 0.1 g salt, Fiber 0.9 g fibre
SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY FOR CHEESECAKES....
this is fast and easy..I use this or my special cheesecake pastry recipe with most of my cheesecakes.
Provided by andypandy
Yield 1 9inch spring form crust
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Sift flour and powdered sugar together.
- Add cold butter pieces and make coarse crumbs.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl with the vanilla.
- Stir mixture into the dry until a dough forms.
- Wrap and chill at least one hour.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface.
- Place into proper 9 inch spring form pan.
- Always prick, and then chill again.
- Fill with your cheesecake filling, and bake according to your recipe.
- This can also be made in your food processor.
- Keeps in the fridge for at least four days, or freezer up to 2 months.
Shortcrust is probably the most widely used of all pastries and is good with sweet or savory fillings.
Provided by Joanna
Categories Desserts Pies 100+ Pie Crust Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Sift flour into a bowl and rub in butter. Add egg yolk and enough water to make ingredients cling together.
- Press dough into a ball and knead gently on a floured surface until smooth. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Use pastry for tarts, pastries, quiches, or other savory goodies.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 193.6 calories, Carbohydrate 18 g, Cholesterol 56.1 mg, Fat 12.3 g, Fiber 0.6 g, Protein 2.9 g, SaturatedFat 7.5 g, Sodium 83.2 mg, Sugar 0.1 g
More about "sweet shortcrust pastry recipes"
BEST SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPES - THE SPRUCE EATS
Occupation Freelance Food And Travel WriterEstimated Reading Time 3 minsAuthor Elaine Lemm
HOMEMADE SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY | GOOD TASTY RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY | JAMIE OLIVER
SWEET SHORT DOUGH PASTRY RECIPE (FOR TARTS AND PIES)
SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES
SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY - BISCUITS, COOKIES & PIES
SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPE : SBS FOOD
SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPE | TASTE OF FRANCE
SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY (SIMPLE SHORTBREAD CRUST) - BAKE …
4.9/5 (13)Total Time 1 hrCategory Dessert, Pastries, Pastry RecipesPublished 2020-09-11
SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPE | COOKING WITH NANA LING
5/5 (2)Category DessertCuisine American, Australian, BritishCalories 94 per serving
FOOLPROOF SHORTCRUST PASTRY (FOOD PROCESSOR METHOD)
HOW TO MAKE SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY - BAKE PLAY SMILE
SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY | BAKE WITH SARAH
'SWEET' SHORTCRUST PASTRY - RIVER COTTAGE
SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPE BY LILY VANILLI
CLASSIC SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY - BETTER WITH JOY
SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY: AS EASY AS (MINCE) PIE | MOORLANDS EATER
BASIC SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPE | SAINSBURY`S MAGAZINE
ITALIAN SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY: PASTA FROLLA
SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPE - BAKING WITH RONA
FLAKY SHORTCRUST PASTRY | RICARDO
PâTE SUCRéE (SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY) - A BAKING JOURNEY
PASTA FROLLA RECIPE | ITALIAN SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY
SWEET PASTRY - PAUL HOLLYWOOD
HOW TO MAKE SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY WITH MARY BERRY PT 1 - YOUTUBE
SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPE | WOOLWORTHS
SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY (PâTE SUCRéE) - BAKED
BEST SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPES | OLIVEMAGAZINE
SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
THE BEST SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY - SAUCEPAN KIDS
PâTE SABLéE, SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY (VIDEO) - SPATULA DESSERTS
MARY BERRY SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPES ALL YOU NEED …
SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY (SUPER EASY!) - THE CLEVER MEAL
SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPE | SCOTTISH MUM
SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPE (SWEETCRUST) - FEED YOUR SOLE
HOW TO MAKE SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY (PâTE SUCRéE)
EASY SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPE - VEENA AZMANOV
SHORTCRUST PASTRY - MY CAFé GOURMAND
SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY | RICARDO
BEST PIE PASTRY RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
HOW TO MAKE SWEET SHORT CRUST PASTRY - EMMA DUCKWORTH BAKES
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love