SWISS STEAK QUICK AND EASY
My mother has been making this Swiss steak for years. It is wonderful, and can be made either on the stove top or -- when you don't have a lot of time but want a hearty meal ready when you come home -- in the crock pot. Serve over a bed of egg noodles or rice with a hunk of thick crusty bread.
Provided by Helene Rose-Carson
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Dredge steak strips in flour. Working in batches, place strips in hot oil. Fry until browned on both sides. Remove to a warm platter. When all meat is browned, return meat to Dutch oven, and stir in onions, mushrooms, salt, pepper, gravy mix, and stewed tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then simmer about 30 to 45 minutes.
- About 20 minutes before steak is finished, fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes; drain.
- Serve Swiss steak over noodles.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 470.9 calories, Carbohydrate 58.2 g, Cholesterol 83.6 mg, Fat 13.7 g, Fiber 4.4 g, Protein 29.8 g, SaturatedFat 4 g, Sodium 630.3 mg, Sugar 7.6 g
SWISS STEAK WITH MUSHROOMS, ONIONS, & GRAVY
It is a variation of the dish which my mother made all my life and which I have continued to make my entire marriage. Since there are so few Swiss Steak recipes here with gravy I decided to share this one.
Provided by CarrolJ
Categories < 4 Hours
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Cut meat into 6-8 large sized pieces (meat will shrink).
- Mix the flour, salt, and pepper in a medium sized dish.
- In a 12 inch skillet heat the vegetable oil until medium hot over medium high heat.
- Dredge meat in the flour mixture well on both sides.
- Brown the meat in the oil well on both sides.
- There should be enough room in the skillet to brown all the meat at once.
- Turn the heat down to medium low.
- Pour the mushrooms and liquid over the meat.
- Top the mushrooms with the sliced onions.
- Cover and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours until the meat is tender.
- NOTE**** add water 1/2 cup at a time about every 15 minutes to keep the meat cooking with moist heat.
- When meat is tender turn off heat and remove meat from pan.
- Add 3-3 1/2 cups of cold water to the remaining flour which wasn't using with dredging.
- Stir well to remove lumps.
- Slowly add to the drippings in the pan.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until thickened.
- If gravy is too thick add more water-- if too thin add more flour mixed with cold water.
- Taste and add more salt, pepper/and or beef flavoring as desired.
- Turn heat down to low and gently slide the meat back into the gravy.
- Heat until the meat is hot again and serve.
- Great with mashed potatoes or steamed rice.
- OPTIONAL Hint: I often add a couple teaspoons of Kitchen Bouquet to the finished gravy to give it more color. I decided I should add a note about this in case others would like this helpful hint.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 207.1, Fat 9.4, SaturatedFat 1.2, Sodium 583.3, Carbohydrate 26.8, Fiber 1.3, Sugar 1.3, Protein 3.8
HAMBURGER STEAK WITH ONIONS AND GRAVY
An easy-to-make classic featuring tasty hamburger 'steaks' smothered in gravy and onions. Traditionally served with hot white rice or potatoes, it's a great way to dress up a pound of ground beef and you probably have all the ingredients on hand!
Provided by Anne Marie Sweden
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce. Form into 8 balls, and flatten into patties.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the patties and onion in the oil until patties are nicely browned, about 4 minutes per side. Remove the beef patties to a plate, and keep warm.
- Sprinkle flour over the onions and drippings in the skillet. Stir in flour with a fork, scraping bits of beef off of the bottom as you stir. Gradually mix in the beef broth and sherry. Season with seasoned salt. Simmer and stir over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, until the gravy thickens. Turn heat to low, return patties to the gravy, cover, and simmer for another 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 318.8 calories, Carbohydrate 13.5 g, Cholesterol 115.3 mg, Fat 18.5 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 23.1 g, SaturatedFat 6.3 g, Sodium 597.2 mg, Sugar 2.6 g
CHOPPED STEAK AND MUSHROOM ONION GRAVY
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the ground beef, egg, Worcestershire, shallots, garlic, parsley, ground mustard, bread crumbs, flour, and salt and pepper, to taste, in a large bowl. Shape the mixture into 6 equal-sized oval patties and set aside on a plate.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add the canola oil and butter. When the butter foams add the patties and brown, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the patties to a 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Drain all of the fat from the pan but leave any browned bits.
- Return the pan to medium heat and melt the butter for the gravy. Add the mushrooms, onion, and thyme and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring rarely, until the mushrooms are slightly browned and soft, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and mix until fully incorporated. Stir occasionally, until the flour is lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Add the brandy and stir, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Slowly pour in the stock and stir until smooth. Let the mixture come to a boil and cook until sauce is reduced and thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and freshly ground black pepper, if needed. Lots of pepper is good in this dish! Pour the sauce over the patties in the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake until the meat is tender and slightly pink in the middle, about 20 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven and serve.
MUSHROOM-SMOTHERED SWISS STEAK
A great way to use inexpensive round steak. The mushroom gravy is delicious with mashed potatoes. The recipe is an old one from Jean Anderson's Grass Roots Cookbook. I've been making it since before my kids were born.
Provided by PanNan
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- In a large, heavy oven-proof skillet over moderately high heat, brown the steak on both sides in the fat.
- Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- In the drippings in the skillet, saute the onion and mushrooms over moderate heat for about 5- 8 minutes, until limp and lightly browned.
- Blend in the flour, add the stock, milk, salt and pepper, and heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth- about 3 minutes.
- Place the steak back in the skillet.
- Turn and spoon some of the mushroom sauce over the steak.
- Cover snugly and bake for about 1 1/2 hours, or until steak is fork tender.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 108, Fat 5.7, SaturatedFat 3.5, Cholesterol 15.9, Sodium 400, Carbohydrate 10.8, Fiber 1.1, Sugar 1.9, Protein 4.5
MUSHROOM AND ONION GRAVY
This is so easy to make, but remember, it's only as flavorful as the broth! I always make my own stock to cut down on the sodium, but you get so much more flavor this way.
Provided by Lynn Socko
Number Of Ingredients 7
- 1. Saute mushrooms and onions in olive oil for about 10-15 min till onions are tender. Remove from pan.
- 2. Add 2 c. of beef stock and heat until hot. Reduce heat to med-low. Mix together 2 TBL. of cornstarch with 1 c. of COLD water. Mix till all lumps are gone. Pour into beef stock. Stir with whisk frequently until gravy has thickened. Remove from heat and add mushrooms and onions back into gravy. Mix with spoon to combine.
- 3. Helpful hint: If your gravy isn't as dark as you would like, add 1/2 tsp. of Kitchen Bouquet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_Bouquet
More about "swiss steak with mushrooms onions gravy recipes"
SWISS STEAK WITH BROWN GRAVY, MUSHROOMS AND THE PROCESS OF ...
3.8/5 (4)Category EntreeCuisine AmericanTotal Time 4 hrs 20 mins
- You can get your butcher to slice and tenderize a rump roast or bottom round. Tell him you want "swissed" steaks or cubed steaks, or you may find cubed steaks packaged in store.
MOM'S SWISS STEAK (W/ ONION GRAVY) / THE GRATEFUL GIRL …
Cuisine AmericanTotal Time 1 hr 55 minsCategory EntreeCalories 398 per serving
- Cut round steak into serving pieces (approx 10- remember each piece will become slightly "larger" after being flattened out by pounding). One at a time, lay each piece of meat between plastic wrap. Pound with flat side of meat mallet until flattened and thinned down and tenderized. Repeat process for each piece of meat. Salt and Pepper each piece of meat, then dredge/fully cover each piece (all sides) in flour (put flour on a dinner plate to do this).
- Heat oil on medium high heat. Once hot, brown meat (turning once) until browned on both sides. (You may need to cook the meat in batches, depending on quantity and size of skillet). When done, reserve 1/4 cup of the oil and drippings in skillet ; discard the rest of oil.
- Place browned meat pieces in a single layer in casserole dish. Top each piece of meat with a slice of onion. Add another layer of meat, then onion, until all pieces are in dish.
SWISS STEAK WITH MUSHROOMS AND ONIONS | YEPRECIPES.COM
4.8/5 (12)Category Main DishesCuisine American/GlobalTotal Time 1 hr 30 mins
- Combine the flour and garlic powder together in a pie plate or large bowl. Generously season the steaks on both sides with salt and pepper. Dredge the steaks in the flour then place on a cutting board.
- Pound the flour into the steaks on both sides until they're about a 1/4 inch thick then dredge the steaks in the flour again.
- Cook the steaks in the pan until well browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the browned steaks to a plate and set aside.
MUSHROOM SWISS STEAK - SIMPLY STACIE
4.5/5 (2)Total Time 20 minsCategory Main DishesCalories 485 per serving
OLD-FASHIONED SWISS STEAK RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
Ratings 98Calories 804 per servingCategory Entree
SWISS STEAK WITH MUSHROOMS - RECIPES FOOD AND COOKING
4/5 (1)Category Beef, Comfort FoodsServings 4-6Total Time 1 hr 50 mins
SWISS STEAK WITH MUSHROOMS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4.4/5 (42)Total Time 1 hr 5 minsCategory Entree, DinnerCalories 337 per serving
EASY CROCK POT SWISS STEAK RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
5/5 (5)Total Time 6 hrsServings 4Calories 608 per serving
MUSHROOM SWISS STEAK RECIPE - FOOD.COM
5/5 (7)Total Time 1 hrCategory OnionsCalories 159 per serving
- Combine flour, salt and pepper; dredge cube steaks. Heat oil in skillet and brown steaks on each side. Set aside and keep warm.
- Add onions and mushrooms to skillet, reduce heat to low and cover. Stir occasionally, scraping browned bits from bottom, and "sweating" the vegetables until softened.
- Add remaining ingredients, and stir to combine. Return steaks to the skillet, covering with the sauce and veges. Cover and simmer until steaks are tender and sauce has thickened - about 45 minutes. Serve immediately.
- To freeze, place completely cooked steaks, with sauce, in freezer-safe container and freeze. To prepare, thaw in refrigerator and heat through on stove top or in micorwave.
OVEN SWISS STEAK RECIPE - AMANDA'S COOKIN' - FATHER'S DAY
Ratings 37Calories 259 per servingCategory Dinner
- Pound meat with a meat mallet on both sides, just enough to tenderize. Mix salt and pepper with the flour. Dredge meat in flour mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet and brown meat on both sides. Remove meat to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and saute onions and mushrooms until tender and lightly browned.
SWISS STEAK WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY INSTANT POT - FRUGAL HAUSFRAU
Reviews 47Category Main DishCuisine AmericanTotal Time 1 hr 15 mins
- Mix together flour, seasoning salt, salt, and pepper on large plate and set aside. Cut round steak into serving pieces. Dredge steak in flour mixture (really press in well), then use the edge of a sturdy plate to pound the meat. Repeat this pounding process on both sides until the steak is about 1/2 inch thick and noticeably more tender. Sprinkle on a bit more flour if the beef becomes sticky and the coating of flour disappears. A meat mallet may be used to pound, instead, the large pointed side.
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute. Once hot, add a tablespoon or two of oil. Add meat, working in batches, adding oil as necessary, browning each side until golden, removing and setting on a large plate or platter. (If, as you are browning, the fond begins to get dark, see note.)
SAUTéED MUSHROOMS AND ONIONS - SUNDAY SUPPER MOVEMENT
4.8/5 (31)Total Time 15 minsCategory Side DishCalories 91 per serving
- Next, reduce heat to medium, add the sliced onion, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire. Cook for another 5-7 minutes or until the mushrooms and onions are soft and browned. Serve warm.
HAMBURGER STEAK WITH MUSHROOM AND ONION - ALL INFORMATION ...
SWISS STEAK RECIPE WITH BROWN GRAVY - WALSTON LOND1985
SWISS STEAK WITH MUSHROOMS, ONIONS, & GRAVY RECIPE - TEXTCOOK
BURGER WITH MUSHROOMS AND ONIONS - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
SIZZLER WITH MUSHROOM-ONION GRAVY RECIPE | STEHOUWER'S ...
SWISS STEAK WITH MUSHROOMS, ONIONS, & GRAVY RECIPE - FOOD ...
ONION GRAVY SWISS STEAK ON BAKESPACE.COM
SWISS STEAK WITH MUSHROOMS, ONIONS, & GRAVY RECIPE
SWISS STEAK WITH MUSHROOMS ONIONS GRAVY RECIPES
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook steak with mushrooms and onions?Heat oil in skillet and brown steaks on each side. Set aside and keep warm. Add onions and mushrooms to skillet, reduce heat to low and cover. Stir occasionally, scraping browned bits from bottom, and "sweating" the vegetables until softened.
What is Swiss steak with brown gravy?Swiss Steak with Brown Gravy is reborn in this easy, paleo friendly recipe, flavor boosted with mushrooms, onions and beef broth, and tenderized by swissing the meat. It has nothing to do with Switzerland, but about technique in meat preparation. Swissing the meat means tenderizing the meat, either rolled, pounded or taken through a tenderizer.
How to cook steak in Dutch oven with gravy?Directions. Fry until browned on both sides. Remove to a warm platter. When all meat is browned, return meat to Dutch oven, and stir in onions, mushrooms, salt, pepper, gravy mix, and stewed tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then simmer about 30 to 45 minutes. About 20 minutes before steak is finished, fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
How to cook Swiss steak in a slow cooker?Tender and juicy slow cooker swiss steak smothered in onions, mushrooms, and gravy. Place steaks in slow cooker. In a oiled skillet saute mushrooms, onions, and garlic over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until tender and fragrant. Transfer to slow cooker on top of steaks. Sprinkle salt and pepper of the top to taste.