TAMMY'S FISH CHOWDER
Fish chowder that's a little thinner than restaurant chowders. I made this with a homemade fish stock made from sea bass and used the cooked fish from the stock for the chowder as well. Serve with crusty French bread.
Provided by Tammy
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large stockpot over medium heat; cook and stir onions and celery in the hot oil until softened, about 5 minutes. Add wine; raise heat to medium-high and cook until wine is reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix potatoes, fish stock, thyme, seafood seasoning, bay leaf, salt, and pepper into onion mixture; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover stockpot, and simmer until potatoes are tender but not falling apart, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat cream in a small saucepan over medium heat just until cream is steaming, about 5 minutes. Stir cream and sea bass into potato mixture; cook until sea bass is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Season chowder with sugar, hot sauce, salt, and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 354.4 calories, Carbohydrate 31.9 g, Cholesterol 67.3 mg, Fat 19.9 g, Fiber 4.4 g, Protein 9.5 g, SaturatedFat 10.9 g, Sodium 460.5 mg, Sugar 4 g
MANHATTAN FISH CHOWDER
- In a large 5-quart pot or Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-low heat until browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Spoon off and discard all but 1 tablespoon fat. Add onion and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juice (breaking tomatoes up with a spoon), clam juice, and 1 1/2 cups water; bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and thyme; reduce heat to simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender, but not falling apart, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add tilapia; cover, and cook until opaque and flaky, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. With a ladle, spoon solids and liquid into 6 soup bowls; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 225 g, Fat 3 g, Protein 21 g
SIMPLE SEAFOOD CHOWDER
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then add the onion and bacon. Cook for 8-10 mins until the onion is soft and the bacon is cooked. Stir in the flour, then cook for a further 2 mins.
- Pour in the fish stock and bring it up to a gentle simmer. Add the potatoes, cover, then simmer for 10-12 mins until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Add the mace, cayenne pepper and some seasoning, then stir in the milk.
- Tip the fish pie mix into the pan, gently simmer for 4 mins. Add the cream and shellfish, then simmer for 1 min more. Check the seasoning. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with some crusty bread.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 422 calories, Fat 19 grams fat, SaturatedFat 6 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 21 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 9 grams sugar, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 41 grams protein, Sodium 2.3 milligram of sodium
- Saute onion, herbs in oil for about 30 mins if possible.
- Add tuna, water, frozen peas and mixed veges, and chicken stock powder.
- Make white sauce in a separate saucepan.
- Stir white sauce into soup.
- Add white vinegar.
- Check seasonings.
- Serve with parsley to garnish.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 449.6, Fat 24, SaturatedFat 3.8, Cholesterol 61, Sodium 575.1, Carbohydrate 22.4, Fiber 4.6, Sugar 2.9, Protein 36.1
- Rinse the fish and place in a kettle with the bay leaves and peppercorns. Add water to cover, at least two and one-half cups, and bring to a simmer over gentle heat. Cover the kettle and let simmer, 10 to 15 minutes, until the fish is cooked through but still firm-textured. (If necessary, you may cut the fish in half in order to fit the kettle.) Remove the fish from the broth. Skin and bone the cooked fish, break the flesh into chunks and set aside. Return the skin and bones, as well as head and tail pieces, to the broth and continue to simmer, covered, for 30 minutes to give a well-flavored broth for the chowder.
- Melt the butter in another soup kettle and gently saute the diced salt pork until the scraps have rendered their fat and turned crisp and brown. Remove the pork, drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
- In the hot fat, saute the onion slices gently until they begin to brown. Then add the potato cubes and turn in hot fat to coat them well. When the potatoes begin to sizzle, add at least two cups of fish broth, strained of the bay leaves and peppercorns. The potatoes should be floating, but not drowning, in the liquid. Simmer gently, covered, until the potatoes are tender enough to pierce with a fork.
- Add the fish pieces and continue simmering another five minutes.
- Heat the whole milk to just below boiling. Add it, a quarter of a cup at a time, to the chowder. Heat the evaporated milk and add it in a similar fashion. From the moment the milk is added, the chowder must not boil. This is very important. If it boils, it may curdle.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt, pepper and the dry mustard powder. Mix well. Then put the chowder ''to set,'' as they say in Maine, for at least two hours. Ideally, it should be placed on the least warm area of the woodstove top where it will stay just below the simmering point. A very low gas flame, as long as the chowder doesn't boil, will do as well. If you can't keep it at a temperature just below boiling, it is better to refrigerate the chowder for a day, rather than leaving it at room temperature.
- When ready to serve, reheat the chowder, without bringing to the boil. Put a pat of butter in each chowder bowl before filling it, and sprinkle bits of browned pork scraps over the top. Pass the crackers to add to the soup.
This is one of the recipes I adopted -- it's gotten 5 stars all around, so I won't change it, but I wouldn't use margarine or cooking oil -- I would use either light olive oil or unsalted butter. I also might substitute half and half for the milk, to be a little decadent once in a while...
Provided by Dreamgoddess
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cut cod fillets into bite sized pieces.
- Melt margarine in large saucepan Cook onion and celery until onion is tender and translucent. Add potatoes, carrots, water, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add fish and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Add milk.
- Reheat, but do not boil.
- Serves 4.
- Serve hot, with freshly baked home made bread or rolls and butter.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 261, Fat 8.8, SaturatedFat 2.8, Cholesterol 57.4, Sodium 769.5, Carbohydrate 20.7, Fiber 2.8, Sugar 2.7, Protein 24.4
BERMUDA FISH CHOWDER
- Cook onion, bell pepper, leek, carrots, celery, chopped tomato, and garlic in butter in a 6-quart wide heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in stock and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer briskly, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Stir in fish, tomato paste, bay leaf, cheesecloth bag of allspice, thyme, hot pepper sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 20 minutes (fish will break up), then restir cornstarch mixture and stir into chowder. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in clams, shrimp, Worcestershire sauce, and rum and gently simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let chowder stand, covered, 1 hour. Gently return to a simmer and stir in Sherry pepper sauce.
More about "tammys fish chowder recipes"
FISH CHOWDER | RECIPE | FISH CHOWDER, QUICK SEAFOOD RECIPES, EASY ...
ANNABEL’S SCRUMMY FISH CHOWDER - ANNABEL KARMEL
RECIPE: FISH CHOWDER - STYLE AT HOME
FISH CHOWDER RECIPES – REDCIPES
LOW-FODMAP FISH CHOWDER RECIPE - FITNESS TIPS | 2022
FISH CHOWDER I RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
SPEEDY FISH CHOWDER RECIPE - NYT COOKING
CREAMY FISH CHOWDER RECIPE (THAI-INSPIRED!) | FOODIECRUSH.COM
SIMPLE FISH CHOWDER RECIPE - COOK WITH CAMPBELLS CANADA
MOM'S FISH CHOWDER - FISH CHOWDER RECIPES
FISH CHOWDER RECIPE ALLRECIPES - TAMMY'S FISH CHOWDER RECIPE ...
BEST COOKING BREADS RECIPES: TAMMY'S FISH CHOWDER
7 SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPES | WILD ALASKAN COMPANY
10 BEST MAINE HADDOCK CHOWDER FISH CHOWDER RECIPES
FISH CHOWDER - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
THICK AND CREAMY SEAFOOD CHOWDER - SEASONS AND SUPPERS
TAMMY'S FISH CHOWDER - FISH CHOWDER RECIPES
TAMMY'S FISH CHOWDER
KETO FISH CHOWDER, CREAMY AND FLAVORFUL - HEALTHY RECIPES BLOG
FISH CHOWDER SOUP | RECIPETIN EATS
FISH CHOWDER RECIPE 1 RECIPE
TOG CHOWDER | RECIPE - ON THE WATER
CLASSIC FISH CHOWDER RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
FISH CHOWDER RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
10 BEST MAINE SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPES | YUMMLY
FISH CHOWDER RECIPES | ETSY
TAMMY'S FISH CHOWDER | RECIPESTY
SIMPLE FISH CHOWDER RECIPE - COOK WITH CAMPBELLS CANADA
BLUEGILL CHOWDER RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
TAMMY'S FISH CHOWDER | RECIPE | FISH CHOWDER, CHOWDER RECIPES, …
RECIPE: FISH CHOWDER - A NET IN TIME
EASIEST FISH CHOWDER RECIPE YOU'LL EVER MAKE
FISH CHOWDER RECIPE | MYRECIPES
25 BEST IDEAS RECIPES FOR FISH CHOWDER
You'll also love