Provided by Masaharu Morimoto
Yield 20 rolls
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Make the rice. Combine the rice and 3 1/4 cups water in a rice cooker and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions. A rice cooker is the best way to get perfect sticky-firm rice, but if you don't have one, just use a saucepan. Fold in the vinegar. Combine the vinegar, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Transfer the cooked rice to a large wooden bowl (traditionally, a wooden tub). Drizzle a quarter of the vinegar mixture over a wooden spoon or spatula onto the rice. Fold the rice gently with the spoon to cool it and break up any clumps; be careful not to smash the grains. Fold in the remaining vinegar mixture and let the rice sit 5 minutes. Spread the rice.
- Cover a bamboo sushi mat with plastic wrap. Place a half nori sheet rough-side up on the mat. Moisten your hands and scoop a handful of rice, slightly larger than a lemon, onto the nori. Press the rice to spread it evenly up to the edges of the nori, moistening your fingers as you go. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Prepare the vegetables. Peel the cucumber and slice into matchsticks. (Morimoto cuts the entire cucumber into a paper-thin sheet, then quickly slices it into strips-but he's had some practice.) Thinly slice the avocado, tomato and red onion; peel the tough ends of the asparagus. Add the filling. Carefully flip over the nori so it's rice-side down on the mat with the short end facing you. Spread a bit of wasabi paste in a line about one-third of the way up the nori-it's spicy, so use it sparingly. Arrange a few pieces each of lettuce, cucumber, avocado, tomato and onion in a tight pile in the lower third of the sheet. It's OK if the vegetables hang over the edges of the nori. Roll the sushi. Roll the sushi away from you with your hands, tucking in the vegetables as you go. Remove the mat from under the roll and place it on top. Press the roll into a compact rectangular log, using the mat to help you. Slice the roll. Cut the sushi roll into 4 to 6 pieces. Repeat with the remaining nori, rice and vegetables. Serve with pickled ginger and more wasabi. Photography by Rick Lew
Nutrition Facts : Calories 143 calorie, Fat 1 grams, SaturatedFat 0 grams, Cholesterol 0 milligrams, Sodium 137 milligrams, Carbohydrate 29 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 3 grams, Sugar 3 grams
Whether you say tomayto or tomahto, whether you consider the tomato a fruit or a vegetable, one thing is for sure, tomato dishes are an essential for men - several studies have supported the link between lycopene in tomatoes and the prevention of prostate cancer. Obviously all of us, young and old will benefit from these fruits which are bursting with essential goodness - Vitamin C, fibre, folic acid, potassium and choline all help support heart health as well as other conditions. Tomatoes are also a great source of the antioxidants beta-carotene and lutein, which along with lycopene are vital for eye health. Combined with Nori(a seaweed), a high nutrient provider, this delicate dish is simply a bundle of health.
Provided by hello
Yield 16 pieces
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Combine 2 sheets nori, water, soy sauce, and salt in a saucepan and simmer. Reduce to half its volume then strain through a fine sieve lined with cheesecloth. Leave to cool.
- Take each tomato and score an "X" on one end lightly with a pairing knife.
- Drop the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Transfer the tomatoes in an ice bath.
- Peel, quarter, and deseed the tomatoes.
- Marinate the tomatoes in the nori reduction for 4 hours.
- Whisk together rice vinegar, maple syrup, and salt in a bowl.
- Rinse glutinous rice in cold water.
- Combine rice and water in a pot. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Pour vinegar and sugar mixture over rice and stir.
- With your hands, form rice into "sushi" portions.
- Top each portion of rice with tomato sushi and secure with a strip of nori.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 53.5, Fat 0.1, Sodium 211.2, Carbohydrate 11.8, Fiber 0.6, Sugar 1.3, Protein 1.1
Chef Christoforos Peskias turned rice-stuffed tomatoes inside out and came up with something that resembles sushi topped with tuna. He forms rectangular "sushi" using a special mold; we found that a scoop works well for the home cook. Active time: 45 min Start to finish: 4 hr
Yield Makes about 16 hors d'oeuvres
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 300°F.
- Cut an X in bottom of each tomato with a sharp paring knife and blanch tomatoes together in a 3-quart saucepan of boiling water 10 seconds. Transfer tomatoes with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice and cold water to cool. Drain tomatoes and peel off skin, using paring knife and beginning from scored end. Cut two thirds of tomatoes into quarters and arrange, cut sides down, in a lightly oiled shallow baking pan. Sprinkle with half of garlic and 1/2 teaspoon thyme and roast until tomatoes are caramelized, about 3 hours.
- While tomatoes are roasting, seed remaining tomatoes and finely chop. Cook onion and remaining garlic in 1/4 cup oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over low heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft and golden, about 20 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, bay leaf, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until all moisture has evaporated, about 2 hours (mixture will resemble a thick purée). Drain tomato sauce in a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl, then discard liquid in bowl. Discard bay leaf.
- Macerate raisins in rum 30 minutes.
- While raisins macerate, bring rice and water to a boil in a 1-quart heavy saucepan, then reduce heat to low and cook, tightly covered, until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let rice stand, covered, 10 minutes, then transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with vinegar. Toss rice gently with a fork and cool. Stir in tomato sauce, raisins (with any liquid), pine nuts, and mint. Add salt and pepper to taste and a pinch of sugar.
- Scoop rice mixture into ice cream scoop, packing it by pressing against side of bowl. Press lever to release "sushi" onto a platter. Top each piece with a roasted tomato, smooth side up, then lightly brush with oil and dust with cumin.
Tortillas spread with chipotle cream cheese are filled with black beans, salsa and diced avocado, then chilled and cut into individual bites for an easy appetizer.
Provided by Avocados from Mexico
Categories Avocados from Mexico
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Mix together cream cheese and chipotle. Heat tortillas in microwave or oven to soften. Spread each tortilla with 2 Tbsp. chipotle cream cheese, 1/4 cup black beans and 2 Tbsp. salsa. Scatter one-third of the avocado and cilantro on each.
- Roll up tortillas tightly; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. To serve, unwrap and trim ends; cut each roll across into 6 pieces.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 332.4 calories, Carbohydrate 40.5 g, Cholesterol 10.8 mg, Fat 15.6 g, Fiber 7.5 g, Protein 9.3 g, SaturatedFat 4.4 g, Sodium 707.9 mg, Sugar 2.4 g
More about "tomato sushi recipes"
TOMATO SUSHI RECIPE | RECIPELAND
4.9/5 (4)Total Time 4 hrs 40 minsServings 16
30 GOOD IDEAS FOR SUSHI ROLL FILLINGS - EASY HOMEMADE …
SPICY TOMATO TUNA SUSHI [VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE] - ONE …
SPICY TOMATO SUSHI ROLLS - FORKS OVER KNIVES
31 VEGAN SUSHI RECIPES (EASY, HEALTHY, HOMEMADE)
SOUS VIDE TOMATO SUSHI | FOOD FOR NET
8 EXCITING RECIPES FOR VEGETARIAN SUSHI - EASY …
SUSHI RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
TAMAGO SUSHI RECIPE – JAPANESE COOKING 101
BEST TOMATO SUSHI RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE SUSHI WITH TOMATOES
Cuisine JapaneseCategory SnackServings 16
10 BEST MEAT SUSHI RECIPES | YUMMLY
TOMATO MAKI SUSHI – MARY'S TEST KITCHEN - VEGAN RECIPES
PICKLED TOMATOES トマトの酢漬け • JUST ONE COOKBOOK
VEGETARIAN SUSHI RECIPE - PLATINGS + PAIRINGS
RECIPE: TOMATO SUSHI - THE NEW YORK TIMES
VEGAN TOMATO 'TUNA' SASHIMI BOWL (MAGURO DON) - OKONOMI …
TOMATO "SUSHI" RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
10 BEST SUSHI RECIPES | YUMMLY
TOMATO "SUSHI" RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
TOMATO SUSHI RECIPE - FRIENDSEAT
TOMATO SUSHI - BIGOVEN.COM
SPICY TOMATO "TUNA" SUSHI | TASTEMADE
VEGAN TOMATO TUNA SUSHI — YAS.KITCHEN
TOMATO TOP100: KOBACHI’S SUSHI - THE TOMATO
SOUS VIDE TOMATO SUSHI | FOOD FOR NET | RECIPE | FOOD, SUSHI …
TOMATO SUSHI – ERECIPE
28 BEST SUSHI ROLLS RECIPES - SUSHI GUIDES & RECIPES
PICCOLO CHERRY TOMATO SUSHI ROLL-UPS | ANNABEL KARMEL
TOMATO SUSHI RECIPE ON FOOD52 | RECIPE | TOMATO SUSHI RECIPE, …
LEARN TO MAKE LOOK-ALIKE "TUNA" SUSHI THAT'S COMPLETELY VEGAN
18 BEST VEGAN SUSHI RECIPES - SUSHI GUIDES & RECIPES
TOMATO SUSHI - MY RECIPE MAGIC
TOMATO SUSHI RECIPE ON FOOD52 | RECIPE | SUSHI RECIPES, TOMATO …
VEGAN SPICY 'TUNA' (TOMATO TUNA) - OKONOMI KITCHEN
TOMATO SUSHI RECIPE ON FOOD52 - FOOD NEWS
VEGAN TOMATO TUNA SASHIMI - ROOTY FRUITY VEGAN
TOMATO SUSHI – YES, THAT’S VEGETARIAN – RECIPE
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO TUNA IN 5 EASY STEPS | PETA | SUSHI RECIPES, …
VEGAN SUSHI WITH TOMATO "TUNA" RECIPE | EATINGWELL
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to cook tomato sushi?A simple, refreshing sushi roll that features the fresh, tangy, and savory flavour of ripe tomato. Cut the tomato into thick, french fry-like shapes. You may want to remove the seeds and blot away excess juice to prevent the sushi from getting soggy. Place nori on a sushi rolling mat (if using).
How do you make tomato sauce with tomatoes?Take each tomato and score an "X" on one end lightly with a pairing knife. Drop the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds to a minute. Transfer the tomatoes in an ice bath. Peel, quarter, and deseed the tomatoes. Marinate the tomatoes in the nori reduction for 4 hours. Whisk together rice vinegar, maple syrup, and salt in a bowl.
How to make tamago sushi recipe?Tamago Sushi Recipe. 1 2 Tbsp water. 2 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar. 3 1 Tbsp Mirin. 4 1/4 tsp salt. 5 1/4 tsp Rice Vinegar. 6 4 eggs. 7 oil. 8 Nori. 9 1 recipe of Sushi Rice. 10 1/4 cup rice vinegar.
How to make sushi with rice?Combine rice and water in a pot. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Pour vinegar and sugar mixture over rice and stir. With your hands, form rice into "sushi" portions. Top each portion of rice with tomato sushi and secure with a strip of nori.