WARM SAVOY CABBAGE SLAW
- Coat a large wide pot with olive oil and add the bacon. Render the bacon over medium heat. Add the red onions, season with salt, and sweat for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the carrots and stir to combine. Add the cabbage, cider vinegar, mustard seeds, thyme and bay leaves. Season with salt and taste. This will taste very vinegary but the salt will help offset the sharpness of the vinegar.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cabbage is very soft. Remove the lid, add the apple cider and simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until most of the vinegar has absorbed but the cabbage is still moist but not soupy. Serve right away or let it hang out in the refrigerator. It will probably be better in a couple of days. Garnish with chives.
HOT BACON - CABBAGE SLAW
- Fry bacon until crisp in very large pan; remove from pan, then saute onion in pan fat.
- While bacon and onion is frying, toss cabbage and carrots; set aside.
- Prepare dressing: mix vinegar, sugar, salt and mustard; add to onion in pan, stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add cabbage & carrots back into pan; stir until coated with sauce.
- Return bacon pieces to pan; toss in peanuts, if used.
- NOTE: DOUBLE the sauce ingredients if you like juicier slaws.
- SUGGESTION: Add more bacon and carrots for a Main Dish meal.
WARM PECAN CABBAGE SLAW
Marie Hattrup, a field editor from Sparks, Nevada, gives a new twist to this slaw, which she serves warm. The mild mustard flavor and pleasing blend of crisp-tender vegetables and toasted pecans is a nice complement to fish or ham.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a large saucepan, combine the cabbage, carrot, green onions, water, salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender. Drain, if necessary. , Combine butter and mustard; pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Stir in pecans.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 109 calories, Fat 8g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 8mg cholesterol, Sodium 376mg sodium, Carbohydrate 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
TANGY WARM RED CABBAGE
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and apple in the melted butter until onion is translucent and apple is soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir wine, apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg into onion mixture; bring to a boil. Add cabbage to onion mixture and stir to coat; season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer until cabbage has softened, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 95.6 calories, Carbohydrate 14.1 g, Cholesterol 7.6 mg, Fat 3.1 g, Fiber 2.7 g, Protein 1.7 g, SaturatedFat 1.9 g, Sodium 51.3 mg, Sugar 8.7 g
WARM CABBAGE SLAW
For a deliciously different dish to pass, try this cabbage. It cooks up tender yet still refreshingly crisp, and the almonds add flavor and crunch. This is a fun and tasty winter side dish that brings people back for seconds. -Mary Crigler, Fayette, Missouri
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12-16 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, combine cabbage, garlic and oil; cook over low heat for 3-4 minutes, tossing lightly. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender. , Add onions. Combine cornstarch, water, soy sauce and salt. Pour over cabbage; toss lightly. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until mixture thickens. Place in a serving bowl; top with almonds. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 63 calories, Fat 4g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 237mg sodium, Carbohydrate 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 1g protein.
WARM ASIAN-STYLE SLAW
- Make dressing:
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Make slaw:
- Heat vegetable oil in a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté carrots, stirring, until almost tender but not brown, about 2 minutes. Add cabbage and sauté, stirring and tossing constantly, until wilted but still crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add cucumber and dressing, tossing well to coat.
WARM RED AND GREEN CABBAGE SLAW
- Core, shred, wash and drain the cabbage. Toss it in a bowl with 3 teaspoons of salt and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain well. Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crisp, remove and set aside. Place 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat in a skillet and discard the rest.
- Heat the fat over medium heat until hot. Add the cabbage and cook, turning it constantly, just until hot and slightly wilted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 2 teaspoons salt, caraway seeds, sugar and vinegar. Divide among 6 plates, top with bacon and serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 114, UnsaturatedFat 4 grams, Carbohydrate 13 grams, Fat 6 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 4 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 397 milligrams, Sugar 8 grams, TransFat 0 grams
WARM NAPA CABBAGE SLAW
- Whisk the vinegar, tamari, maple syrup, and ginger together in a bowl.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat, then add the onion and a pinch of salt and sauté until the onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the Napa cabbage, red cabbage, carrots, and a pinch of salt and sauté until the cabbage is slightly wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the vinegar mixture and cook until the liquid is reduced by half and coats the vegetables. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Add some protein to this dish by stirring in 1 1/2 cups of shredded roasted chicken, tofu, or tempeh when you add the vinegar. This is a delicious addition and can turn a side dish into an entire meal.
- rebecca's notes
- You may be wondering how to take on cabbage, the bocce ball of vegetables. Place the cabbage on a cutting board with the stem side down. Using a sharp chef's knife, cut the cabbage in half from top to bottom. Use the tip of your knife to remove the core. To shred cabbage by hand, hold the cabbage on the cutting board at an angle and give it a shave by making a thin slice down the flat (cut) side of the cabbage.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
- nutrition information
- (per serving)
- Calories: 85
- Total Fat: 3.7g (0.5g saturated, 1.5g monounsaturated)
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Protein: 2g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 610mg
ABSOLUTELY BEST HOT SLAW RECIPE
This is the exact hot slaw recipe from the world famous Forest View Gardens that used to be in Cincinnati. Unfortunately the place closed down years ago but that won't stop you from recreating the exact recipe they used in your own kitchen! What I have below is precisely the quantities and procedure we used for large scale production for a lot of people. If you are doing a smaller party or dinner, you can adjust the amounts accordingly. Keep in mind that the excess dressing can be refrigerated. Tips: Do not let this hot slaw sit around with dressing in it. It must be fresh! Don't over fill the bowl with dressing. I personally like just enough dressing to wet the cabbage and bacon and not a drop more. Make a whole gallon of dressing and bacon bits and store what you don't use for later. At Forest View Gardens, we made 30 gallons of dressing and 200 pounds of bacon bits on Thursday and it lasted the whole week!
Provided by kerrywsmyth
Categories Salad Dressings
Yield 32 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Fully cook bacon.
- While it is still hot, fill a food processor with bacon (do not add the grease to processor!) and chop it into coarse bits (If processor is not available, you should chop the bacon prior to cooking).
- Put hot chopped bacon in a strainer on a bowl to catch excess grease.
- Repeat until all bacon is chopped.
- Set bacon bits aside.
- Start with a Gallon container with a large mouth.
- Add sugar, vinegar, water, oil, salt, garlic.
- Stir with a large mixing spoon, making sure you get all the sugar off the bottom of the container.
- Heat the amount of dressing you plan on using on the stove on low heat or a steam table, stopping short of a boil (you will use 4-6 oz per serving).
- Fill salad bowls with shredded cabbage.
- Sprinkle about 2 tbsp of the fresh bacon bits on top of cabbage. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Immediately before serving, stir hot dressing well, then use a ladle to pour about 4-6 oz on the slaw making sure you thoroughly wet all the cabbage and bacon.
ANGIE'S DAD'S BEST CABBAGE COLESLAW
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onion, carrots, and celery. Sprinkle with 1 cup sugar, and mix well. In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, oil, salt, dry mustard, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Pour hot dressing over cabbage mixture, and mix well.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 131 calories, Carbohydrate 14.1 g, Fat 8.4 g, Fiber 1.5 g, Protein 0.9 g, SaturatedFat 1.3 g, Sodium 364.3 mg, Sugar 12.1 g
More about "warm cabbage slaw recipes"
EASY HOT CABBAGE SLAW RECIPE FROM LANA'S COOKING
5/5 (1)Total Time 12 minsCategory Side DishesCalories 121 per serving
- Rinse the cabbage, drain lightly, and place in a saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle with the salt and cover. When sizzling can be heard, reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the butter, milk, caraway seeds, tarragon, and black pepper. Stir to blend. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
WARM CABBAGE SLAW - RECIPES | PAMPERED CHEF CANADA SITE
- Combine the onion, carrot, cabbage, vinegar, oil, caraway seeds, sugar, salt, and pepper in the Rockcrok® Everyday Pan; toss to coat using the Large Chef’s Tongs.
WARM CABBAGE SLAW WITH BACON DRESSING - RECIPE
4.6/5 (5)Category Side DishesCuisine Eastern EuropeanCalories 130 per serving
TANGY HOT CABBAGE SLAW RECIPE - COUNTRY LIVING
WARM SAVOY CABBAGE SLAW RECIPE | COOKING CHANNEL
CHICKEN KEBABS WITH WARM CABBAGE-APPLE SLAW …
30 REFRESHING SLAW RECIPES FOR SUMMER | BON APPéTIT
WARM CABBAGE AND MUSHROOM SLAW - BIGOVEN.COM
WARM CABBAGE AND BROCCOLI SLAW – INSTANT POT RECIPES
FRIED CABBAGE AND BACON SLAW - THE VIEW FROM GREAT …
10 BEST SOUTHERN HOT SLAW RECIPES | YUMMLY
WARM RED CABBAGE SLAW RECIPE | FEASTING AT HOME
5/5 (4)Total Time 40 minsCategory Side DishCalories 117 per serving
HOT OVEN ROASTED CABBAGE WEDGES AND WARM SLAW
PORK CHOPS WITH WARM CABBAGE SLAW RECIPE | MYRECIPES
WARM RED CABBAGE SALAD RECIPE | EATINGWELL
HOT CABBAGE SLAW RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
HOT SLAW – WARM CABBAGE SLAW WITH BACON
HOT SLAW WITH BACON: THE PERFECT SIDE - 31 DAILY
WARM CABBAGE AND PANCETTA SLAW RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
HOT SLAW | PAULA DEEN
WARM CABBAGE SLAW - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
WARM CABBAGE SLAW WITH COUNTRY HAM - RECIPE - FINECOOKING
10 BEST SAVOY CABBAGE SLAW RECIPES | YUMMLY
TANGY HOT CABBAGE SLAW - CARLA HALL
RECIPES | PAMPERED CHEF US SITE
WARM APPLE-CABBAGE SLAW RECIPE | EATINGWELL
SOUTH CAROLINA SLAW RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH HOT SLAW – A COALCRACKER IN THE KITCHEN
12 MINUTE HOT CABBAGE SLAW | RECIPELION.COM
CABBAGE APPLE COLESLAW RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
HOT CABBAGE SLAW - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
WARM CABBAGE SLAW RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
GRILLED BRATS WITH WARM CABBAGE SLAW - LIFE'S AMBROSIA
TANGY COLESLAW WITH VINEGAR DRESSING RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
WARM COLESLAW WITH HONEY DRESSING - MAYO CLINIC
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How much hot slaw do you put on cabbage?Immediately before serving, stir hot dressing well, then use a ladle to pour about 4-6 oz on the slaw making sure you thoroughly wet all the cabbage and bacon. Enjoy! “This is the exact hot slaw recipe from the world famous Forest View Gardens that used to be in Cincinnati.
How do you make cabbage salad dressing?Read the full recipe after the video. In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onion, carrots, and celery. Sprinkle with 1 cup sugar, and mix well. In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, oil, salt, dry mustard, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Pour hot dressing over cabbage mixture, and mix well.
What is the best way to make coleslaw?In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onion, carrots, and celery. Sprinkle with 1 cup sugar, and mix well. In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, oil, salt, dry mustard, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Pour hot dressing over cabbage mixture, and mix well. This irresistible coleslaw is more tart and tangy than creamy.
How do you serve cabbage and bacon slaw together?Fill salad bowls with shredded cabbage. Sprinkle about 2 tbsp of the fresh bacon bits on top of cabbage. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Immediately before serving, stir hot dressing well, then use a ladle to pour about 4-6 oz on the slaw making sure you thoroughly wet all the cabbage and bacon.