- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Blend tomatillos, onion, poblano pepper, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, garlic, mint, and salt in a blender until smooth. Transfer mixture to a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add chicken to tomatillo sauce and continue to simmer until chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes more.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry tortilla strips in batches until crisp and lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Layer about half the fried tortillas in a 2-quart baking dish; spread half the tomatillo sauce over tortillas. Mix pepperjack cheese and Monterey Jack cheese in a bowl; sprinkle half over tomatillo sauce. Repeat layers.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheese is golden and bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 297 calories, Carbohydrate 22.3 g, Cholesterol 62.1 mg, Fat 13.2 g, Fiber 3.7 g, Protein 22.6 g, SaturatedFat 5.6 g, Sodium 205.3 mg, Sugar 2.5 g
CHILAQUILES ROJOS (TRADITIONAL MEXICAN BREAKFAST DISH)
- Grill the tomatoes, chiles, garlic and onions until they have a slightly blackened skin. Do not burn!
- Bring 6 cups water to a boil with the blackened veggies until they are cooked through and soft inside.
- Pour the veggies with the hot water and a little added cold water into a food processor and process. Don't blend too much, you want the mixture to be chunky.
- In a large pot, heat up the oil until smoking. Then (carefully!) add a small amount of the sauce mixture and let it burn away for 1 minute (this is for a nice smoky flavor). Then slowly add the rest of the mixture and season with salt and some chicken base.
- Add the tomato puree for color, and mix well. Add the shredded chicken and cook until it is heated through. Add the cilantro. Add the chips and serve immediately on 4 plates. Top each plate with some sour cream, sliced onions, queso fresco and a sprig of cilantro.
- Serve with guacamole, refried black beans and pico de gallo on the side.
- Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil over medium heat in a cast-iron skillet until it registers 350 degrees F on a candy/frying thermometer. (If you don't have a thermometer, carefully dip the corner of a tortilla wedge into the oil. If it sizzles, you are ready to fry.)
- Carefully drop the tortilla quarters into the hot oil and fry, turning them halfway through with tongs or a spider, until crisp but not yet browned, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Remove the tortilla quarters to a paper towel-lined plate to drain; set aside.
- Heat the enchilada sauce in a small pan over medium-high heat until hot. While it is heating, fry the eggs. Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Crack the eggs into the skillet and fry until the edges are nice and crispy, a minute or two. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the eggs are frying, assembled your chilaquiles. In a shallow 1-quart dish, arrange half of the fried tortillas in a layer. Sprinkle them with half of the cheese. Pour enough of the hot enchilada sauce over the tortillas and cheese to cover most of the chips. Add the remaining chips to the dish in an even layer. Top with the remaining cheese and more sauce. The amount you add here is up to you. You may end up with some leftover enchilada sauce depending on your preference.
- Top with the fried eggs and salsa of your choice. Enjoy while it's nice and hot.
I got this recipe from my mother in law who is from Mexico. I love these. You can also add some chicken or steak if you like on top( i love cecina with it )..Delicious!!
Provided by SHERNANDEZ
Yield 12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a large frying pan pour 1-1/2 cups of oil. While it is warming up take about 3/4 of the package of tortillas and tear into thin strips. Once the oil is warm place the strips of tortillas in pan and fry until golden brown. Place them on the side on a plate. Repeat until tortillas are gone. Once you are there should only be a few tablespoons of it left in pan, leave it there and place all the fried tortillas back in pan. Add onion, water, salt & hotsauce to pan. Mix well, you want the tortillas to be soft you may need to add more water. Keep let simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionly. Then turn heat to low and tear cheese into small peices and place in pan and cover with lid. Let cheese melt and serve. You could add steak or chicken to the top if you would like.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 246.6, Fat 27.4, SaturatedFat 4.1, Sodium 1133.7, Carbohydrate 1.1, Fiber 0.2, Sugar 0.6, Protein 0.2
GUADALAJARA STYLE CHILAQUILES
This is my great-grandmother's recipe, so it's like a million years old. These are the original and authentic Southern Mexico style chilaquiles. This version is very popular as a Sunday breakfast. Believed to cure bad hang-overs.
Provided by Molly Bloom
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Boil tomatoes and chiles until soft.
- Mix them in blender with the garlic and water.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil and fry this paste, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- Cut the tortillas in strips with a pair of kitchen scissors.
- Heat 4 tbsp of oil and fry the tortilla strips until crispy.
- Drain oil and add the three eggs to pan. Stir strips and eggs quickly so they don't stick to the pan. Add salt to taste.
- Place on a serving bowl, pour the sauce over them and sprinkle with onion and cheese.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy with a side of refried beans.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 616.6, Fat 23.5, SaturatedFat 7.9, Cholesterol 116.1, Sodium 1077.7, Carbohydrate 79.9, Fiber 6.2, Sugar 7.7, Protein 21.1
More about "authentic chilaquillas recipes"
THE BEST CHILAQUILES RECIPE – AN AUTHENTIC MEXICAN …
4.7/5 (9)Total Time 30 minsCategory BreakfastCalories 336 per serving
- Add all of the salsa verde ingredients to a good blender and blend until everything is broken down, but not too smooth.
- Add the blended salsa to a hot frying pan with a teaspoon of olive oil and cook for 5 minutes, adding additional chicken stock if desired.
- Pour the salsa verde over the baked (or fried) tortillas if you want a crispier texture, or add the tortilla chips to the salsa itself for a softer texture.
HOW TO MAKE MEXICAN CHILAQUILES (CHILAQUILES ROJOS)
5/5 (18)Total Time 25 minsCategory ChickenCalories 552 per serving
- For the Red Salsa, place tomatoes, onion, pepper, garlic, and onion in a medium size saucepan. Cover with water and cook at medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the tomatoes and peppers are cooked. Place the cooked ingredients in your blender with 1/2 cup of the cookign water to make a sauce. Season with salt and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet and start frying the tortillas until golden and crisp in batches. You might need to do 2 or 3 batches to avoid overcrowding the skillet. Drain the tortillas on paper towels. Repeat the process with the rest of the tortillas.
- Clean the skillet with a paper towel, turn the heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the sauce and let it cook for 5 minutes. Add the Epazote and season the sauce with salt. Carefully stir in the tortillas to avoid breaking them. Add the chicken (if using) and coat it with the salsa. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Serve garnished with crumbled cheese, cilantro, onion and topped with the cream. Serve with “Refried beans”. Avocado is also a good addition to the plate.
HOW TO MAKE CHILAQUILES ROJOS IN A FLASH - COOKING THE GLOBE
MEXICAN CHILAQUILES ROJOS RECIPE - THE WANDERLUST KITCHEN
HOW DO YOU MAKE AUTHENTIC CHILAQUILES? - JUST MEXICAN FOOD
HOW TO AUTHENTIC MEXICAN CHILAQUILES - WATCH VIDEO RECIPE
AUTHENTIC RED CHILAQUILES RECIPE RECIPES
A SIMPLE MEXICAN RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE CHILAQUILES WITH TORTILLA …
HOW TO MAKE CHILAQUILES | KITCHN
THE SECRET TO BEST-EVER CHILAQUILES | TASTE OF HOME
HOW TO MAKE AUTHENTIC MEXICAN CHILAQUILES? - JUST MEXICAN FOOD
TRADITIONAL CHILAQUILES ROJOS RECIPE - THE ANTHONY KITCHEN
AUTHENTIC CHILAQUILES ROJOS - MEXICAN RECIPES BY MUY …
EASY CHILAQUILES VERDES - MEXICAN BREAKFAST MADE EASY — …
MEXICAN CHILAQUILES RECIPE WITH FRESH ROASTED SALSA
WAKE UP AND SMELL THE AUTHENTIC TEXAN CHILAQUILES!
AUTHENTIC MEXICAN CHILAQUILES WITH SCRAMBLED EGGS
CHILAQUILES VERDE RECIPE - HOMEMADE & EASY! - THE ANTHONY …
CHILAQUILES VERDES WITH CHICKEN | AUTHENTIC MEXICAN FOOD RECIPES
CHILAQUILES RECIPES - BBC FOOD
AUTHENTIC CHILAQUILES - MIDWEST MODERN MOMMA
CHILAQUILES ROJOS RECIPE WITH FRIED EGGS - SELF PROCLAIMED FOODIE
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CHILAQUILES RECIPE - THE TORTILLA CHANNEL
20+ CHILAQUILES RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
CHILAQUILES ROJOS RECIPE WITH RED SAUCE | GRAN LUCHITO
EASY CHILAQUILES RECIPE (CHILAQUILES VERDES) - FAVORITE FAMILY RECIPES
AUTHENTIC MEXICAN CHILAQUILES ROJOS | ELISE TRIES TO COOK
RED CHILAQUILES RECIPE - COOKIE AND KATE
EASY CHILAQUILES RECIPE - MY FAVORITE MEXICAN BREAKFAST
AUTHENTIC CHILAQUILES ROJOS. – THE 2 SPOONS
AUTHENTIC MEXICAN RED CHILAQUILES | MEXICAN BREAKFAST | EASY …
TRADITIONAL CHILAQUILES RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
EASY CHEESY BAKED CHILAQUILES RECIPE - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
CHILAQUILES - EASY VERISON OF THE TRADITIONAL MEXICAN BREAKFAST DISH!
EASY CHILAQUILES VERDES - ISABEL EATS
CHILAQUILES! RECIPE - ALTON BROWN
CHICKEN CHILAQUILES AUTHENTIC MEXICAN BREAKFAST
HOW TO MAKE CHILAQUILES | CHILAQUILES RECIPE | TASTE OF HOME
EASY GREEN CHILAQUILES WITH CHICKEN - AVERIE COOKS
AUTHENTIC CHILAQUILES VERDES - THE LEMON BOWL®
You'll also love