BACALHAU A GOMES DE SA (SALT COD, ONIONS AND POTATOES)
- Soak the cod in cold water to cover for 24 to 36 hours, changing the water occasionally, drain. Flake the cod into small pieces, removing any bones. Set aside. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add 1/4 cup of the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and the garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until slightly golden, about 6 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a medium ovenproof casserole dish with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper. Spread half of the potatoes over the bottom of the prepared dish. Sprinkle half of the salt cod over the potatoes. Place half of the onion mixture over the salt cod. Top the onion mixture with more salt cod. Place another layer of potatoes over the top of the cod. Drizzle the entire pan with the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Place in the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden. Place on a serving platter. Garnish with the sliced eggs, olives, and parsley.
SALT COD, ONIONS AND POTATOES: BACALHAU A GOMES DE SA
- Soak the cod in cold water to cover for 24 to 36 hours, changing the water occasionally, drain.
- Flake the cod into small pieces, removing any bones. Set aside. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add 1/4 cup of the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and the garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until lightly golden, about 6 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a medium ovenproof casserole dish with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Spread half of the potatoes over the bottom of the prepared dish. Sprinkle half of the salt cod over the potatoes. Place half of the onion mixture over the salt cod. Top the onion mixture with more salt cod. Place another layer of potatoes over the top of the cod. Drizzle the entire pan with the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Place in the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden. Place on a serving platter. Garnish with the sliced eggs, olives, and parsley.
BACALHAU PORTUGUESE AO FORNO (SALT COD WITH TOMATOES AND OLIVES)
- Soak cod in a large bowl of water in the refrigerator for 24 hours, changing soaking water 4 times to remove excess salt.
- Drain water off cod; add lemon juice and salt. Let marinate in the refrigerator, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Arrange layers of cod, potatoes, onions, and tomatoes in a large baking dish. Place bay leaves on top. Drizzle olive oil over baking dish and season with salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven until potatoes are tender and cod flakes easily with a fork, about 30 minutes. Add olives and parsley and continue baking until heated through, about 3 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 433.2 calories, Carbohydrate 16 g, Cholesterol 172.5 mg, Fat 6.8 g, Fiber 2.7 g, Protein 73.4 g, SaturatedFat 1.1 g, Sodium 8042.1 mg, Sugar 3.5 g
MARIA'S PORTUGUESE BACALAU
This is a traditional Portuguese dish that brings back memories of mom. It is not only tasty but it is always a hit at parties. Plan ahead, because the salted cod needs to soak for 24 hours.
Provided by BINGADING
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Soak the dried salted cod in cold water for 24 hours, changing the water several times.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the soaked cod, and boil for about 5 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove cod from water, and save water for cooking potatoes. Remove skin and bones from the cod, and flake the meat into pieces using a fork. Set fish aside in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, 1 clove of garlic, 1 tablespoon of parsley, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Pour over the fish, and toss lightly to coat.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place the potatoes into the fish water, and bring to a boil. Cook for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain under cool water, peel and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, and saute until golden and caramelized. Stir one clove of garlic into the onions. Set aside.
- Layer half of the potato slices in the bottom of a greased 8x11 inch baking dish. Cover with half of the cod, then half of the onions. Repeat layers, ending with onion.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned. Before serving, garnish the top with green and black olives, and hard-cooked eggs. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 701 calories, Carbohydrate 25.2 g, Cholesterol 277 mg, Fat 31.3 g, Fiber 2.5 g, Protein 77.1 g, SaturatedFat 7 g, Sodium 8223.1 mg, Sugar 1.5 g
PORTUGUESE BACALHAU à BRáS (SALT COD AND POTATOES)
This is a very unique Portuguese Salt Cod fish dish. Very popular in the Azores Islands of Portugal. Cooked for many occasions and well enjoyed. To save yourself time you can prepare the potatoes ahead of time and let them soak in water untill you are ready to start your dish. Also please note, the Cod must be soaked in water overnight. However if you miss this step you can boil the Cod in a pot of water and keep changing the water a few times. This is to remove the salt from the Cod. Use Boneless Salted Cod (not frozen). You can find this in many Super Markets. I have mentioned below that you can also use a Food Processor and shred the potatoes and onion for ease. You can also cheat by using a family size bag of shoestring french fries ;) Prep time does not include soaking of the Cod.
Provided by daisygrl64
Categories High Protein
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Note: Soak Cod fish in water overnight.
- Next day change water and place Cod in a pot with enough water to cover it. Boil for about 15 minutes. Drain and let cool. Once Cod has cooled, flake it.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to non stick pan and fry potatoes in batches each time using another tbsp of olive oil if necessary.
- Place paper towel on the bottom of a glass dish safe for the oven and keep fries warm in the oven.
- Once you are done with the potatoes add 1 tbsp of olive oil to pan and add the bay leaf. Simmer for about 2-3 minutes. remove bay leafs from pan (discard).
- add garlic, onions (pepper flakes if using) to the pan and saute until onions begin to soften.
- add the parsley and let saute a bit.
- add flaked Cod and keep tossing until Cod gets warm.
- add the eggs, keep stirring so not to let the eggs stick to pan. this mixture will start to look like scrambled eggs.
- Once you are done with your Cod and eggs mixture.
- Combine fries with Cod mixture.
- add olives if using.
- taste, add salt and black pepper if needed.
- when serving squeeze lemon juice from a slice of lemon ontop.
- add dash of tabsco sauce if using.
BACALHAU (SALT COD) WITH CHICKPEAS
A Portuguese salt cod kind of stew meant to be eaten hot or at room temperature. Once you've prepared the salt cod (which takes one to two days), assembling this dish is simple and quick. If you don't have piri-piri (Portuguese-style chili oil), substitute a quarter teaspoon (or more if you like) of dried hot red pepper flakes. This makes a very hearty luncheon or brunch dish and is great with a glass of red wine.
Provided by Chef Kate
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Prepare Bacalhau.
- Soak fish in water for at least 24 hours and preferably 48 hours, changing the water 3 to 4 times per day.
- Drain the fish, rinse well and place in a saucepan with enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil.
- Taste the water; if it is too salty, drain the fish, add fresh water and bring to a boil again.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain and let cool.
- Remove any skin and bones and separate the fish into coarse flakes.
- Prepare the stew.
- In a heavy skillet, heat the olive oil and cook the onion slowly until it is golden.
- Stir in the Bacalhau and heat for two minutes.
- Add chickpeas, parsley, vinegar, garlic, piri-piri, salt and pepper and cook for another two minutes or until the mixture is completely warmed through.
- Serve garnished with the hard boiled eggs and olives.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 791, Fat 35.8, SaturatedFat 5.7, Cholesterol 331, Sodium 8419.7, Carbohydrate 32.3, Fiber 6, Sugar 3.8, Protein 81.9
More about "bacalhau salt cod with chickpeas recipes"
PORTUGUESE SALT COD AND CHICKPEA SALAD RECIPE - LEITE'S …
SALT COD WITH CHICKPEAS - BACALAO CON GARBANZOS
RACHEL RODDY’S RECIPE FOR SALT COD AND CHICKPEA SOUP
10 BEST PORTUGUESE BACALHAU RECIPES | YUMMLY
COOKED CHICKPEAS WITH COD | FOOD FROM PORTUGAL
14 WAYS TO COOK WITH SALT COD | SAVEUR
MEIA DESFEITA DE BACALHAU (SALAD OF SALTED COD AND …
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
BACALHAU A GOMES DE Sá (SALT COD FISH) - OLIVIA'S CUISINE
BACALHAU CHICKPEAS RECIPE? – MAKEHUMMUSNOTWAR
BAKED SALT COD CASSEROLE (BACALHAU ASSADO)
BACALHAU A BRAS SALT COD WITH EGGS, ONIONS AND CRISPY POTATOES
BACALHAU A GOMES DE SA (SALT COD, ONIONS AND POTATOES)
BACALHAU A GOMES DE SA (SALT COD, ONIONS AND POTATOES) RECIPE
HOW TO SALT COD | BACALHAU RECIPE - YOUTUBE
SALADA DE BACALHAU A GRãO-DE-BICO (SALT COD, CHICKPEA, AND EGG …
BAKED BACALHAU / SALTED COD RECIPE - EASY RECIPES
BACALHOADA - SALT COD STEW - CURIOUS COOKERY
BACALHAU SALT COD WITH CHICKPEAS FOOD- WIKIFOODHUB
WORLD BEST FISH COOKING RECIPES : BACALHAU (SALT COD) WITH …
CARIBBEAN SALT FISH (EASY BACALAO FISH RECIPE) - IZZYCOOKING
COD RECIPES | TERRA DO BACALHAU
SALTED COD WITH EGGS (BACALHAU A BRAS)
BACALHAU ASSADO NO FORNO COM CEBOLADA E GRãO ROASTED SALT COD …
SALT COD BACALHAU A BRAS WITH POTATOES, GARLIC, AND PARSLEY
SOPA SECA WITH COD, CHICKPEAS AND MINT | TERRA DO BACALHAU
A TASTE OF PORTUGAL-BACALHAU COM GRAO/SALT COD WITH CHICKPEAS
BACALHAU à BRáS (SALT COD, EGGS AND POTATOES) RECIPE
HAVE A GOOD NIGHT RECIPE BACALHAU SALT COD WITH CHICKPEAS
PORTUGUESE COD FISH WITH CHICKPEAS? – MAKEHUMMUSNOTWAR
BEST CALAMARI WITH CHICKPEAS AND SALT COD RECIPES | FOOD …
SKILLET SALT COD CASSEROLE (BACALHAU à BRáS)
SALT COD (BACALHAU): ABOUT, WHERE FOUND AND 18 RECIPES
BACALHAU, SALTED COD RECIPE FOR EASTER - HOT AND CHILLI
SALT COD, CHICKPEA & EGG SALAD (SALADA DE BACALHAU A …
BACALHAU RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to prepare Cod Cod and chickpeas salad?Hand-shred the cod, discarding any skin or bones, and place in a serving bowl together with the chickpeas, onion, and garlic. In a small bowl, whisk the oil with the vinegar. Stir in the parsley and salt, if needed. Pour the dressing over the chickpeas and toss gently. Garnish with the chopped eggs and a sprinkling of paprika.
How do you cook bacalhau?In a heavy skillet, heat the olive oil and cook the onion slowly until it is golden. Stir in the Bacalhau and heat for two minutes. Add chickpeas, parsley, vinegar, garlic, piri-piri, salt and pepper and cook for another two minutes or until the mixture is completely warmed through.
What is bacalhau?Bacalhau – a popular Portuguese dish made with salt cod, potatoes, onions, hard boiled eggs, olives and olive oil – is traditionally served on Good Friday, but easy enough to be enjoyed all year round! Aaaand I’m back!
How do you cook chickpeas and fish together?Drain the chickpeas and rinse. Place in a 3-quart saucepan with enough water to cover by 2 inches, about 4 cups. Cover and bring to a boll over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until very tender, but not mushy, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain and set aside. Remove the fish from the soaking water and rinse.