BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP
Got this one from a Betty Crocker cookbook. Changed it up just slightly for my family's taste. Very hearty and good when it is bitter cold outside.
Provided by Gail Blue Eyes
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Add onions and butter to a 5 to 6 quart crock-pot; toss to coat.
- Top with bay leaves and beef.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 9-10 hours or until the onions are deep brown in color.
- Mix together the beef consomme, sherry, apple juice, and thyme in a bowl.
- Pour into crock-pot; increase setting to HIGH.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes or until hot.
- Take out bay leaves.
- Spoon soup into oven-proof soup bowls.
- Top each with a slice of toast and 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
- If you want, broil 6 inches from heat source for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and begins to brown.
SLOW-COOKER BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP
Fantastic French onion soup is made even heartier with beef stew meat. Start the soup in the morning and come home to a no-fuss dinner.
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Toss onions, butter and sugar in 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Top with bay leaves and beef.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 9 to 10 hours or until onions are deep brown.
- Stir in beef consommé, sherry, apple juice and thyme. Increase heat setting to high. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until hot. Remove bay leaves.
- To serve, spoon into ovenproof soup bowls and top each serving with slice of toast and 1/4 cup cheese. If desired, broil with tops 6 inches from heat 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and begins to brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 440, Carbohydrate 31 g, Cholesterol 80 mg, Fat 1, Fiber 2 g, Protein 34 g, SaturatedFat 10 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 910 mg
BEEFY FRENCH ONION POTPIE
I came up with this dish knowing my husband loves French onion soup. It's a good base for this hearty, meaty potpie. - Sara Hutchens, Du Quoin, Illinois
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in soup; bring to a boil., Transfer to an ungreased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with biscuits. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until biscuits are golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 553 calories, Fat 23g fat (10g saturated fat), Cholesterol 98mg cholesterol, Sodium 1550mg sodium, Carbohydrate 47g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 38g protein.
BEEF SHORT RIB FRENCH ONION SOUP
Though I love French onion soup, this twist with beef short ribs adds great beef flavor and is a bit more hearty! The crocks are something else to purchase, but at $30 for a set of four which are microwave-, oven-, and dishwasher-safe, and handy for all sorts of things, they are worth it.
Provided by dbs.geek
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Mix flour, 2 tablespoons salt, 1 tablespoon black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder in a bowl. Dredge beef short ribs in the seasoned flour mixture. Reserve 3 tablespoons of leftover seasoned flour.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and pan-fry the beef ribs until browned on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove ribs and set aside. Turn heat down to medium and melt butter in the pot; cook and stir sweet onions in the butter until soft and slightly browned, about 15 minutes. Stir constantly and reduce heat if onions begin to burn.
- Stir 3 tablespoons of reserved seasoned flour mixture into the onions and cook and stir for 10 minutes; pour in beef broth and sherry. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until soup is slightly thickened; season with more salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Strip leaves from thyme sprigs and add leaves to the soup. Gently return short ribs to the pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer soup until ribs are tender, about 2 1/2 hours. Stir soup every hour or so.
- Preheat the oven's broiler.
- Ladle soup into oven-safe soup crocks, placing a short rib into each bowl. Top soup with 2 slices of French bread per bowl and sprinkle about 1/4 cup of Gruyere cheese over each crock.
- Place crocks under broiler until cheese is browned and bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1162 calories, Carbohydrate 62.6 g, Cholesterol 176.5 mg, Fat 79.3 g, Fiber 5.1 g, Protein 47.9 g, SaturatedFat 35.8 g, Sodium 3222.3 mg, Sugar 8.7 g
PAULA DEEN'S BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP
This recipe, from "The Deen Family Cookbook" is different from most in that Paula has added cubed beef which makes it even heartier and suitable for a main course if you add a big slalad and crispy French bread alongside. She uses big, sweet vidalia onions for this soup, saying they give the broth the richest, most delicious flavor.
Provided by Lorraine of AZ
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a slow cooker, toss the onions with the butter and sugar. Cook, covered, on high heat, until the edges begin to brown, about 90 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil until shimmering, about 1 minute. Add the beef and brown, stirring occasionally, 5-7 minutes. Transfer the beef to the slow cooker. Add the sherry to the skillet and scrape up the browned bits. Add the pan juices to the slow cooker along with the broth, Worcertershire sauce, salt, thyme, bay leaf, and pepper to taste. Simmer, covered for 2-1/2 hours on high heat or 7 hours on low.
- Uncover and simmer for 1 hour more, until thick. Remove the bay leaf.
- When ready to serve, turn on the broiler. Ladle the soup into flameproof bowls and divide the cheese over the tops. Place the bowls on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 minutes. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 827.3, Fat 58.5, SaturatedFat 27.2, Cholesterol 179.2, Sodium 1508.2, Carbohydrate 20.1, Fiber 2.2, Sugar 9.6, Protein 42.2
SPEEDY FRENCH ONION SOUP
Warm up with a bowl of this savory soup that's loaded with incredible flavor. Caramelized onions simmer with sweet onion soup and beef consommé. It's topped with cheesy garlic Texas toast and is so good you may want to double the recipe because it will be gone in a flash!
Provided by Campbell's Kitchen
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Heat the butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 15 minutes or until well browned and caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the soup, consomme and 1 soup can water in the saucepan and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Top each serving with 1 toast.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 340.6 calories, Carbohydrate 38.2 g, Cholesterol 27.2 mg, Fat 18.4 g, Fiber 5.2 g, Protein 7.7 g, SaturatedFat 8.1 g, Sodium 1130.2 mg, Sugar 7.9 g
More about "beefy french onion soup recipes"
BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP - IT'S WHAT'S FOR DINNER
Cuisine FrenchCategory SoupServings 4Total Time 30 mins
- Heat large saucepan or nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from saucepan with slotted spoon; pour off drippings. Return beef to saucepan.
- Add soup and amount of water according to soup can directions. Stir in thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Cut cheese to fit bread slices; top bread with cheese. Place bread slices on rack in broiler pan so surface of bread is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 1 to 2 minutes or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted and golden brown.
BEEFY FRENCH ONION NOODLE SOUP | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
5/5 (26)Total Time 1 hrServings 9Calories 275 per serving
- In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven or pot cook mushrooms in 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until softened. Add onion and an additional 1 tablespoon oil; cook and stir over medium heat until mushrooms and onions are lightly browned. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, 10 minutes or until soft and golden, stirring if necessary. Remove from pan.
- Sprinkle beef strips with salt and pepper. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook and stir until browned. Remove beef from pan; set aside. Stir in beef broth, wine (if using), Worcestershire sauce, and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to boiling; add noodles and onion mixture. Cook noodles, uncovered, according to package instructions, return meat to Dutch oven the last 3 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, if desired, preheat broiler. Arrange toasted bread on a baking sheet and sprinkle with cheese. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 1 minute or until cheese melts and turns light brown. Top each serving with a toasted bread slice.
BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP - SAVOR THE BEST
5/5 (3)Total Time 1 hr 45 minsServings 6Calories 230 per serving
- Adjust the heat to medium under the Dutch oven containing the caramelized onions. Pour the wine into the pot to deglaze the pan, stirring and scraping loose the bits stuck to the pan bottom. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes to reduce. Sprinkle the flour over the caramelized onions, stir and cook for 1 minutes so the flour loses it’s starch taste.
- Add the beef broth, bay leaf and the thyme and bring to a boil, then immediately reduce the heat to low.
BEEFY LIPTON ONION SOUP MIX - SOUPNATION.NET
LIPTON BEEFY ONION SOUP DIP RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
BEEFY ONION SOUP - PREVENTION.COM
BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP - KANSAS BEEF COUNCIL
THE BEST FRENCH ONION SOUP - CAROL BEE COOKS
FEELING FRENCHY ? BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP WITH "CHEESY" TOPPING
BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
10 BEST LIPTON BEEFY ONION SOUP MIX RECIPES | YUMMLY
BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
FRENCH ONION BEEF SOUP - ROCKY MOUNTAIN COOKING
BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP MADE WITH MINOR’S BEEF BASE
BEEFY POT ROAST FRENCH ONION SOUP - FEELINGS IN FOOD
RICE WITH FRENCH ONION SOUP RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP - FELIX & GREG
BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP | RECIPES
"SLOW COOKER BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP" - RECIPES ON SPOONACULAR
HEARTY & BEEFY FRENCH ONION NOODLE SOUP - MOMMY GONE HEALTHY
BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP - ANGUS BEEF AT ITS BEST®
EASY FRENCH ONION SOUP - PINTEREST.CA
14 FRENCH ONION RECIPES THAT GO BEYOND SOUP - THE SPRUCE EATS
GROUND BEEF AND FRENCH ONION SOUP RECIPES – BDNEWS REPORTER
BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP - BIGOVEN.COM
SLOW COOKER BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP | AN ONION SOUP RECIPE …
BEEF STROGANOFF RECIPE WITH FRENCH ONION SOUP MIX
"BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP" - CHOWDOWN LOWDOWN
BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP RECIPE
BEEFY ONION SOUP RECIPES - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
10 BEST FRENCH ONION SOUP LIPTON SOUP MIX RECIPES - YUMMLY
FRENCH ONION SOUP FROM SCRATCH - DISH 'N' THE KITCHEN
KNORR FRENCH ONION SOUP MIX RECIPES - SOUPNATION.NET
FRENCH ONION SOUP WITH BEEF - FOX VALLEY FOODIE
BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP - WISCONSIN BEEF COUNCIL
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #appetizers #main-dish #soups-stews #beef #vegetables #french #european #crock-pot-slow-cooker #dietary #meat #onions #equipment #presentation #served-hot
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook beef and onion in soup?In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in soup; bring to a boil. Transfer to an ungreased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with biscuits.
What is beefy French onion soup?This classic Beefy French Onion Soup is thick with caramelized onions in a rich, beef and wine broth. Each serving of soup is topped with a slice of toasted bread and gooey melted Gruyère cheese. 6 slices soft regular sandwich bread, toasted and cut to fit the bowl. Adjust the heat to medium under the Dutch oven containing the caramelized onions.
What is the best way to cook fantastic French onion soup?Fantastic French onion soup is made even heartier with beef stew meat. Start the soup in the morning and come home to a no-fuss dinner. Toss onions, butter and sugar in 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Top with bay leaves and beef. Cover and cook on low heat setting 9 to 10 hours or until onions are deep brown.
How to cook beef stew in a crock pot with onions?Toss onions, butter and sugar in 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Top with bay leaves and beef. Cover and cook on low heat setting 9 to 10 hours or until onions are deep brown. Stir in beef consommé, sherry, apple juice and thyme.