- In a skillet large enough to hold endive in one layer, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add endive, and cook, turning occasionally, until brown all over, about 7 minutes.
- Cover with a parchment-paper round, and then a tight-fitting lid. Reduce heat to very low, and cook until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 20 to 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
BRAISED BELGIAN ENDIVE
Endive makes a lovely salad or cooked like this recipe. I love a variety of vegetables and this is one I enjoy making. Cook longer or less depending on your personal taste. Use fresh herbs if they are available increase herbs to 3 tbsp if you use fresh and chop finely.
Provided by Bergy
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat, let it get warm (melt) and add the endive (whole not leaves separated), sugar, lemon juice,& chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, cover pan and braise the endive for 3 minutes.
- Turn 1/4 way round braise for 3 more minutes, turn a quarter again continue to brais for 3 minutes and then turn the endive to the last quarter and braise 3 minutes (a total of 12 minutes and braising all four sides).
- Uncover the pan, raise heat to medium High.
- Add herbs, parsley cook for an additional 2 minutes, pan juices should have reduced by about 2/3.
- Serve ASAP.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 118.7, Fat 4, SaturatedFat 2.1, Cholesterol 7.6, Sodium 139.7, Carbohydrate 18.2, Fiber 15.9, Sugar 1.8, Protein 6.9
SAUTéED ENDIVE WITH BALSAMIC BUTTER
Searing the endives so they retain some crispness, then topping them with balsamic butter, gives this dish, adapted from the cookbook "Eat in My Kitchen" by Meike Peters, its panache. Because it's hard to make less balsamic butter than is called for, you wind up with enough for about a dozen endives, not just three; the endives portion of the recipe can be easily expanded to match, making this a great dish for entertaining. Or, use the leftover butter to top fish, roasted carrots and such. The butter keeps well in the refrigerator but should be used at room temperature; heating may cause it to break down.
Provided by Florence Fabricant
Categories for two, quick, vegetables, side dish
Yield 2 to 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet. Add endive halves, cut side down, and sear on medium-high heat for a couple of minutes per side, turning once, until golden brown but still somewhat firm in the middle. Salt to taste, transfer to a serving dish and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Simmer vinegar in a small saucepan for about a minute. Remove from heat and whisk in butter bit by bit. Whisk in sugar and, if desired, some salt and pepper.
- Drizzle some of the balsamic butter on endives, strew with marjoram and dust with pepper. Serve. Remaining balsamic butter can be refrigerated for future use.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 124, UnsaturatedFat 5 grams, Carbohydrate 4 grams, Fat 12 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 1 gram, SaturatedFat 6 grams, Sodium 147 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram, TransFat 0 grams
BRAISED ENDIVE WITH HAM AND GRUYèRE
My grandmother passed this recipe down to my mom and she then passed it on to me. It's a casserole of pure comfort. First, bitter endive is simmered until sweet, then wrapped in savory ham and smothered with a creamy nutmeg béchamel. Gruyère tops it off before it's baked until bubbly and golden.
Provided by Jean Georges Vongerichten
Yield Serves 4
Number Of Ingredients 13
- To cook the endive, combine the butter, sugar, salt, and 10 1/2 cups water in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer. Add the endive, cover, and cook until very tender, about 45 minutes. A knife should be able to pierce through with no resistance. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the endive to paper towels. Reserve 1 1/4 cups cooking liquid. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the endive.
- Wrap each endive with slices of ham. Arrange the endive in a shallow baking dish that holds them snugly; you don't want any space between the endive.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- To make the béchamel, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until golden. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture smells nutty, about 2 minutes. Continue whisking and add the milk, then the reserved endive cooking liquid in a slow, steady stream. Bring the mixture to a boil while whisking. Continue whisking until thickened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the nutmeg and pepper.
- Pour the béchamel over the endive and spread to cover them evenly. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top. Set the dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until bubbly and golden brown on top, about 15 minutes. If you want the top more browned and crusty, broil for a minute or two after baking. Serve hot.
BELGIAN ENDIVE AU GRATIN
- Lightly grease a baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Place the endives into the water. Cover, and cook until tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place the butter into a saucepan, and melt over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, and stir until the mixture becomes paste-like and golden brown. Gradually whisk the milk into the flour mixture, whisking constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in 3/4 cup Gruyere cheese, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt, and pepper until well blended. Cook gently over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Preheat an oven broiler to low.
- Drain the endives. Wrap each endive with a slice of ham, and place into the prepared baking dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the endives. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese and parsley.
- Cook the endives under preheated broiler until cheese is golden brown and sauce bubbles, about 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 206.6 calories, Carbohydrate 20.4 g, Cholesterol 28.7 mg, Fat 10.1 g, Fiber 16 g, Protein 12.8 g, SaturatedFat 5.7 g, Sodium 210.4 mg, Sugar 2.8 g
BRAISED ENDIVE IN MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add endive, and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Pour stock into skillet; bring to a boil, and cover. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, turning endive occasionally, until just tender, about 20 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer endive to a paper-towel-lined plate; discard stock. Pat endive dry, and set aside.
- Make dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together mustard and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Whisking constantly, pour in oil in a slow, steady stream; whisk until emulsified. Gently toss each endive in dressing, coating well. Garnish with parsley, and serve at room temperature; set any extra dressing on the side.
BRAISED BELGIAN ENDIVE
Provided by Food Network
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 4
- In a heavy skillet over high flame, melt half of the butter. Season endive. Place 4 halves of the endive cut-side down and cook until browned. Repeat with remaining butter and endive. Place endive, cut-side up in a gratin dish. Pour stock around endive, cover with aluminum foil, and bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Season again with salt and pepper.
People also searched
More about "braised endive recipes"
BRAISED BELGIAN ENDIVE - EDIBLE COMMUNITIES
Cuisine FrenchTotal Time 55 minsCategory Side DishCalories 54 per serving
- Trim off and discard any browned bits from the ends of the endives and any bruised or browning exterior leaves. You can cut them in half lengthwise if you like.
- Put a large, heavy frying pan, sauté pan, or wide pot with a tight-fitting lid over medium-low heat. When the pan is hot, add the butter.
- When the butter is melted, lay the endives in a single layer in the pan. If you’ve cut them, lay them cut-side down.
BRAISED BELGIAN ENDIVES RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
RECIPES | CALIFORNIA ENDIVE
See details »
BEST ENDIVE RECIPES | EPICURIOUS
Estimated Reading Time 1 minPublished 2016-11-03
- Endive, Apple, and Celery Salad with Smoked Almonds and Cheddar. Chopped apples, smoked almonds, and thinly-sliced celery mix together in this sweet, smoky, and pleasingly bitter salad.
- Citrus and Endive with Walnut Gremolata. Spears of endive give an elegant look to this sweet and crunchy citrus salad. Walnuts provide additional crunch and a nutty undertone.
- Endive Salad with Toasted Walnuts and Breadcrumbs. This salad has a secret: underneath the crunchy leaves of juicy endive, there's a barrage of cheese, walnuts, and breadcrumbs.
- Endive Cups with Beet, Persimmon and Marinated Feta. In this wintery hors d'oeuvre, the tang of the feta plays off of persimmon's sweetness and endive's bitter crunch.
- Winter White Salad With Endive and Pomegranate. Need a quick start to a festive dinner? This simple salad matches crisp endive with toasted hazelnuts and nutty Manchego.
- Braised Endive with Ham and Gruyère. In this comforting casserole, endive is simmered until sweet, then wrapped in savory ham and smothered with a creamy béchamel.
- Quick Sauteed Endive, Escarole, and Frisée. In this mix of sautéed greens, escarole and endive get mellowed out by the fruity flavor of olive oil. Get This Recipe.
BRAISED ENDIVE RECIPE | EATINGWELL
Total Time 45 minsCalories 87 per serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and parsley and cook, stirring, until the breadcrumbs are brown and crispy, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate; wipe out the pan.
- Return the pan to medium heat and melt 2 teaspoons butter. Add 6 endive halves, cut-side down, and cook until beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. Repeat with the remaining 2 teaspoons butter and endive.
- Add the first batch of endive back to the pan. Pour in broth and add garlic, thyme, sugar and salt. Cook, turning the endive every 10 minutes or so, until the liquid has evaporated completely and the endive is glazed, about 30 minutes total. Transfer the endive to a platter. (Discard garlic and thyme.) Serve sprinkled with the reserved breadcrumbs.
BRAISED ENDIVE RECIPE | REAL SIMPLE
4/5 (3)Total Time 20 minsServings 8Calories 129 per serving
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the endive, cut-side down, and mustard seeds. Cook until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the chicken broth and wine. Cook, covered, over low heat until the endive is tender, 10 to 12 minutes more.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Top the endive with the sauce. Serve warm.
BRAISED BELGIAN ENDIVE RECIPE - CHOWHOUND
5/5 (17)Total Time 30 minsCategory Side DishCalories 114 per serving
- Add endives to the pan in a single layer and braise, turning occasionally, until the cores just give way when pierced with a knife, about 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium high and cook, turning occasionally, until almost all the liquid has evaporated and the endives are golden brown, about 5 to 10 minutes more.
BRAISED ENDIVE WITH PROSCIUTTO | COOKSTR.COM
Category Cookstr RecipesEstimated Reading Time 6 mins
- Trimming the endive: Remove the outermost leaves from the endive, and trim the bottoms if they appear brown or dried out. Cut each endive lengthwise in half.
- Browning the endive: Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet (12-inch) over medium heat (nonstick or well-seasoned cast iron are good choices since the delicate endive leaves won’t stick and tear, but any decent skillet will do). When the butter just stops foaming, add as many endive, cut side down, as will fit in a loose layer and cook until the cut sides are nicely browned, about 4 minutes. Using tongs, turn the endive and brown for a minute or two on the other side. Transfer the browned endive to the gratin dish, arranging them cut side up. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the skillet and brown the rest of the endive. The endive should fit in a snug single layer in the gratin dish.
- The aromatics and braising liquid: There should still be a film of butter in the skillet. Still over medium heat, add the prosciutto strips to the skillet and turn to coat them with the butter. Tuck a few strips between the endive and drape the rest over the tops. Season with salt pepper, keeping in mind that the prosciutto is salty. Add the stock to the skillet and bring to a boil over high heat. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits, and pour the stock over the endive and prosciutto.
BRAISED ENDIVE WITH BACON AND MUSTARD SAUCE RECIPE - …
Cuisine ScandinavianTotal Time 25 minsCategory Side DishCalories 253 per serving
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, sauté bacon for about 6 minutes, until crisp and most of the fat has rendered out, stirring frequently.
- Nestle endive halves in pan, cut-side down, and cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes, until crisp and golden, with the occasional charred bit.
BRAISED BELGIAN ENDIVE RECIPE | HEALTH.COM
Servings 4Calories 137 per servingTotal Time 30 mins
- Place oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet; heat over medium heat until butter melts. Add endive halves cut side down; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until endive begins to lightly caramelize, about 3 minutes. Turn endive halves and cook until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add broth to skillet and bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until endive is just tender and cores are soft enough to be easily pierced with a paring knife, about 5 minutes, turning once. Uncover and increase heat to medium-high. Add honey and lemon juice; cook until liquid has reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Gently stir in remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter. Serve sauce over endive halves. Sprinkle with fresh nutmeg, if desired.
BRAISED ENDIVE WITH A BALSAMIC REDUCTION - EATING WORKS
5/5 (1)Estimated Reading Time 3 minsServings 2
- 1: Heat oil in a skillet until it shimmers over a medium flame. Add endive to the pan and brown on both sides. Add enough of the stock to cover the endive half way and cover partially. Allow the endive to cook in the simmering liquid until when pierced with a knife the knife slides out easily. This means the endive is done. Remove from the skillet. This takes about 20-25 minutes.
- 2: Add the balsamic vinegar, salt and a dash of pepper to the pan. Then turn up the flame to medium and allow the cooking liquid to reduce down to a Nappe consistency. Once the desired thickness is reached the reduction is done. Remove from heat immediately to serve.
BRAISED BELGIAN ENDIVE AU GRATIN RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Servings 4Calories 194 per serving
- Rinse Belgian endive; trim off any discolored bases. Cut heads in half lengthwise. Arrange the halves, cut side down, in a single layer in a heavy 11- to 12-inch frying pan. Add 1/4 cup water and the olive oil. Sprinkle endive lightly with salt and pepper. Cover pan and bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until endive is very tender when pierced, 12 to 20 minutes. Uncover and cook over medium heat, turning heads occasionally, until liquid is evaporated and endive is slightly browned, 6 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 1- to 2-quart pan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour until blended and bubbly. Add milk and nutmeg; stir until mixture is boiling and thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange endive in a single layer in a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Spoon sauce over the top. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 400° oven until sauce is bubbling and lightly browned, 9 to 14 minutes. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
RECIPES - ENDIVE
Estimated Reading Time 40 secs See details »
BRAISED ENDIVE RECIPE | EAT SMARTER USA
4.1/5 (8)Total Time 15 minsCategory Lunch, Dinner, Main CourseCalories 408 per serving See details »
JULIA CHILD'S BRAISED ENDIVE - SIPPITYSUP
Reviews 11Estimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
BRAISED ENDIVE WITH PROSCIUTTO AND GORGONZOLA RECIPES
See details »
BRAISED BELGIAN ENDIVE. | ENDIVE RECIPES, BRAISED ENDIVE ...
See details »
BRAISED ENDIVE RECIPE | ENDIVE RECIPES, BRAISED ENDIVE ...
See details »
CHICORY HAM AND CHEESE RECIPES
See details »
BRAISED ENDIVE | THE F WORD WITH FOXY GAMES - YOUTUBE
See details »
WHAT IS ENDIVE? / BRAISED ENDIVE RECIPE - YOUTUBE
See details »
BRAISED ENDIVES - RECIPES AND COOKING TIPS - BBC GOOD …
See details »
You'll also love