ORIGINAL LAUER-KRAUT BURGERS
Provided by Food Network
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- For the burger filling: Brown the ground chuck in a large skillet over medium heat, crumbling the meat pretty finely as it browns. Add the chopped onions and 1 teaspoon of the pepper. Cook the onion down a little, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the chopped cabbage, sauerkraut, remaining 1 teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Let the mixture cook, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on how done you like the cabbage. Strain and let cool.
- For the dough: Put the yeast and sugar in a 4-cup measuring cup and add warm water to the 1-cup mark. Stir together and let sit until the yeast rises to twice its original size. Put the powdered milk in another 4-cup measuring cup and add water to the 2-cup mark. Stir together. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, salt and shortening. Cut the shortening into the flour by hand. Next, make a well in the flour and add the eggs, yeast mixture and the powdered milk mixture to the flour. Work it all together until the dough comes away from the bowl (you may need a touch more flour or water). Oil the dough slightly on each side, cover and let rise, for 10 minutes. Pinch and let rise another 15 minutes.
- To assemble the Lauer-Kraut burgers: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour a work surface and put the dough on the flour. Begin to roll the dough as close to a rectangle as you can, roughly 24-by-30 inches. Once the dough is rolled out, cut the dough into squares, roughly 6-by-6 inches. Take a square of dough and roll it out a little bigger, roughly 8-by-8 inches. Turn the re-rolled square over and add a full cup of filling mixture into the middle of the dough. Bring the opposite corners of the square together, and then bring the other 2 opposite corners together. You should have all 4 corners drawn together. Pinch down the 4 seams of the dough. Once you pinch all the seams, push down slightly on the kraut burger. This will release extra air and help you find any place you missed sealing the kraut burger. Turn the sealed pocket over and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place ground beef in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain fat. Stir in cabbage and onion soup mix; cook 5 minutes longer, or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Roll one loaf of bread dough into a 16x8 inch rectangle, then cut into eight 4 inch squares. Spoon cabbage mixture into center of each square, top with 1 small slice cheese and bring up diagonal points, pinching edges closed. Place krautburgers on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray, and let rise for about 10 minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until brown. Brush tops of warm rolls with margarine. Repeat process with second loaf of bread and remaining cabbage mixture and cheese.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 306.8 calories, Carbohydrate 30.3 g, Cholesterol 33.3 mg, Fat 13.2 g, Fiber 3.1 g, Protein 15.1 g, SaturatedFat 4.8 g, Sodium 537.3 mg, Sugar 3.6 g
This is an old family recipe. This recipe is time consuming but well worth the effort. Can be frozen and rewarmed. Place 2-3 in a freezer bag. Good for quick snack.
Provided by Robin Blackwell
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 60-72 burgers, 5-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Brown hamburger meat, onions and garlic in large stewing pot.
- Add salt, pepper, basil and thyme.
- Wash cabbage and cut in half.
- Remove core and cut cabbage into shreds.
- Add to hamburger meat mixture.
- Add sherry.
- Cook 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and leave to the side to cool.
- Prepare hot roll mix as directed.
- Flour a surface and roll out dough.
- Cut a 4X4 square and fill with 1 1/2 table spoons of hamburger/cabbage mixture.
- Pull dough around mixture until closed.
- Bake on a greased cookie sheet till brown.
- Brush with butter/margarine.
- Bake at 375°F.
- Makes approx 5 dozen.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1041.7, Fat 61.1, SaturatedFat 26.4, Cholesterol 174.1, Sodium 4095.4, Carbohydrate 78.4, Fiber 8.7, Sugar 18.2, Protein 45.1
NEBRASKA CABBAGE BURGERS
From Cookbook compiled by The Nursing Service Dept. of West Nebraska General Hospital, 1977. This recipe belongs to Stella Strauch. Prep time includes letting the dough rise.
Provided by NELady
Yield 12-15 burgers, 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Dissolve yeast in water. Add oil, sugar, egg and salt; mix well. Add flour and mix. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes. Knead well and let rise again for 30 minutes. Knead dough and roll to about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into 4 squares.
- Brown hamburger and onion until red disappears. Add cabbage and salt and pepper to taste.
- Put 2-3 tablespoons filling of cabbage mixture in center of rolled out dough. Bring corners together at top, pinching edges securely; turn upside down and place on cookie sheet. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 751.1, Fat 28.2, SaturatedFat 8.3, Cholesterol 136.7, Sodium 530.6, Carbohydrate 79.3, Fiber 6.3, Sugar 11, Protein 43.8
This is a recipe created by Russian German immigrants. It is very popular in the Nebraska, South Dakota region where I am from. Cabbage and ground beef are encased in a neat little bread package.
Provided by AARONNE2004
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Divide each loaf of frozen bread dough into 6 pieces, and roll into balls. Set aside.
- Crumble the ground beef into a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir until evenly browned. Drain off grease. Add the water, cabbage, onion, and garlic. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring as needed, until the cabbage is soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste. I like to use more pepper than salt. Drain off any excess liquids, and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough balls into 5 inch (approximate) squares. Place about 3/4 cup of the cabbage burger into the center, fold the dough over, and pinch to seal. Place on a baking sheet with the seam side down.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven, and brush with melted butter. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 468 calories, Carbohydrate 41.2 g, Cholesterol 80 mg, Fat 19.2 g, Fiber 4.9 g, Protein 29.7 g, SaturatedFat 6.6 g, Sodium 518.4 mg, Sugar 5.6 g
SMASHED CABBAGE AND MUSHROOM VEGGIE BURGERS
This vegetarian burger patty is inspired by a love for caramelized cabbage. It isn't a conventional burger patty made of grains and beans. Instead, cabbage and mushrooms lend a crunchy, slightly meaty texture that is hearty and reminiscent of okonomiyaki, and the patty is held together with chickpea flour. The recipe for the patty is gluten-free and, if you opt for a gluten-free bun (and your soy sauce is gluten-free), the whole dish can become fully gluten-free.
Provided by Sue Li
Categories dinner, burgers, sandwiches, main course
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, chickpea flour, water, soy sauce and garlic. Add onion, cabbage, mushrooms and sesame seeds; season with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Using your hands, massage the cabbage mixture to evenly coat with the chickpea batter. Cover and let the mixture sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Juices from the vegetables will leach out and make the batter slightly wetter.
- Divide the cabbage mixture into 6 portions (about 1 1/2 cups each).
- Heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil in a large cast-iron pan over medium-low heat. Cook 3 portions at a time, coaxing each patty together in the pan and compressing them with a flat spatula. Gently fry the patties, without disturbing them, until one side is golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until the golden brown and the vegetables are cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the patties from the pan onto a wire rack. Add remaining 1/4 cup oil to the pan and cook the remaining 3 portions.
- Place a slice of cheese on each cooked vegetable patty and allow the residual heat from the patties to melt the cheese. Serve sandwiched between buns, topping with mayonnaise, tomatoes, pickles and lettuce.
CABBAGE HAMBURGER BAKE
You'll need only five ingredients to make this economical casserole. White rice, potatoes or bread would make a nice accompaniment.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 5
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in salt. In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the beef mixture, cabbage and soup. Repeat layers (dish will be full). , Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts :
More about "cabbage burgers recipes"
CLASSIC CABBAGE BURGERS, GRANDMA WOULD BE PROUD
Reviews 63Estimated Reading Time 1 min
CABBAGE PATTIES RECIPE - THE COOKING FOODIE
10 BEST CABBAGE BURGERS RECIPES | YUMMLY
CORNED BEEF BURGERS | RECIPES | KALAMAZOO OUTDOOR …
CHICKEN CABBAGE BURGER RECIPE - YUMMY TUMMY
GRANDMA’S CABBAGE BURGERS - RECIPE OF TODAY
CABBAGE BURGERS - NEWEST RECIPES
CABBAGE BUNS BURGERS - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY RECIPES AND ...
23 BEST KETO CABBAGE RECIPES - INSANELY GOOD
CRISPY GOLDEN SHRIMP BURGERS RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
CABBAGE BURGER RECIPES - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
CABBAGE BURGERS RECIPE – NEUREZEPT
CABBAGE BURGERS - BEEF
CABBAGE BURGERS - FAITH FAMILY & BEEF
CABBAGE BURGERS RECIPE
356 EASY AND TASTY CABBAGE BURGERS RECIPES BY HOME COOKS
CABBAGE BURGERS - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
RECIPE OF SPEEDY CABBAGE BURGERS | THE US BUFFET
BULGOGI - BEEF BURGERS WITH PICKLED CABBAGE | RICARDO
10 BEST VEGETARIAN CABBAGE BURGERS RECIPES | YUMMLY
CABBAGE BURGERS - AMERICAN RECIPES
CABBAGE BURGERS (RUNZAS) - AMERICAN RECIPES
CABBAGE BURGERS - PLAIN.RECIPES
RECIPE OF QUICK CABBAGE BURGERS | THE DELICIOUS MENU
10 BEST VEGETARIAN CABBAGE BURGERS RECIPES | YUMMLY
32 BEST CABBAGE BURGER RECIPE IDEAS - PINTEREST
KRAUTBURGERS / CABBAGE BURGERS – HITHER & YOND
CABBAGE BURGERS | VEGWEB.COM, THE WORLD'S LARGEST COLLECTION OF ...
CABBAGE BURGERS | RECIPESTY
CABBAGE WITH BURGER RECIPES - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
10 BEST CABBAGE BURGERS RECIPES | YUMMLY
CABBAGE BURGERS - CUISINART.COM
CABBAGE WITH BURGER RECIPES - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
HOW TO COOK A DELICIOUS VEGETABLE CABBAGE BURGER - YOUTUBE
CABBAGE BURGERS RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
GRANDMA'S CABBAGE BURGERS - YUMMLY RECIPES
CABBAGE BURGER : 9 STEPS - INSTRUCTABLES
CABBAGE BURGERS GREELEY CO - MOST DELICIOUS BURGER IN THE WORLD
CABBAGE BURGERS RECIPE - GENIUS COOK
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #main-dish #beef #german #european #one-dish-meal #inexpensive #ground-beef #meat #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make cabbage and onion burgers?Knead dough and roll to about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into 4 squares. Brown hamburger and onion until red disappears. Add cabbage and salt and pepper to taste. Put 2-3 tablespoons filling of cabbage mixture in center of rolled out dough. Bring corners together at top, pinching edges securely; turn upside down and place on cookie sheet.
How to cook cabbage and ground beef in the oven?Cabbage and ground beef are encased in a neat little bread package. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Divide each loaf of frozen bread dough into 6 pieces, and roll into balls. Set aside. Crumble the ground beef into a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir until evenly browned. Drain off grease.
What is a cabbage Burger made of?It’s not a new type of veggie burger, but a savory mix of ground beef, cabbage, onion, and seasonings all wrapped up and baked in warm bread dough. A meal in and of itself, Cabbage Burgers are great for dinner or to freeze and keep on hand for a quick bite.
How do you cook cabbage for a cabbage roll?Put 2-3 tablespoons filling of cabbage mixture in center of rolled out dough. Bring corners together at top, pinching edges securely; turn upside down and place on cookie sheet. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes. “From Cookbook compiled by The Nursing Service Dept. of West Nebraska General Hospital, 1977.