This is one of the seven fish dishes we serve at Christmas time. It is easy to make and quite delicious! I enjoy it served both warm and cold. Either way, it has become one of our traditional dishes each year. The recipe has been passed down to me through my grandparents, who were excellent cooks. -Paul Rinaldi, Easton, Pennsylvania
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Chop calamari tentacles; cut body into 1/2-in. rings., In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add anchovies if desired; stir in parsley and garlic. Cook 1 minute. Add wine; stir in mushrooms, if desired, and seasonings. Add calamari; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until calamari is tender, 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from heat; cool slightly., In a serving bowl, toss celery, olives, lemon juice and calamari mixture. May be served warm, or refrigerated and served cold.
Nutrition Facts :
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and garlic.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the wine and water to a low boil. Stir in the squid and cook until opaque, about 2 minutes. Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the celery, cilantro, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, cucumber, green onions, parsley, jicama, and jalapeno. Toss gently with the squid and the olive oil dressing mixture. Chill until serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 235.6 calories, Carbohydrate 10.9 g, Cholesterol 132.2 mg, Fat 14.6 g, Fiber 2.9 g, Protein 10.5 g, SaturatedFat 2.1 g, Sodium 51.6 mg, Sugar 3 g
From Gourmet magazine comes this wonderful calamari salad - and although it is delicious eaten right after preparation, it's even better if you allow it to chill for 8 hours in the refrigerator then bring it to room temperature for serving.
Provided by Julesong
Yield 8 servings as a side dish, 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- (If you got whole squid, clean them first: gently pull the head and tentacles away from the body, then pull out the backbone from inside the body and discard it and the intestines and ink sac; cut the tentacles from the head just below the eyes and discard head; remove membrane from body.).
- Rinse all the squid under running water and pat dry.
- Cut the tentacle bunches in half, and cut the bodies into 1/4 to 1/3-inch wide rings; cut the wings from the bodies.
- Fill a 5 or 6 quart pot full of water, add a couple teaspoons of salt, and bring it to a boil.
- Prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Cook all the prepared squid pieces in the boiling water until just opaque, a brief 40 to 60 seconds, then remove from pot and immediately plunge into the ice water to halt the cooking.
- When squid has cooled, transfer to a colander, let drain, and pat dry; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper; add in onion, stir, and let the dressing stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked squid, olives, tomatoes, celery, parsley, basil, and feta (if using), then toss with the dressing.
- Let salad stand, tossing occasionally, for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Note: although good eaten right after preparation, it's even better if you chill it for 8 hours - tossing occasionally - then bring it to room temperature before serving (about 1 hour); also, some people prefer the onion to be sautéed lightly before adding it to the salad.
- Makes 4 main course servings, 8 side dish servings.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 369.1, Fat 21.9, SaturatedFat 3.3, Cholesterol 397, Sodium 474.5, Carbohydrate 14.8, Fiber 2.6, Sugar 4.3, Protein 28.3
- Rinse squid under cold running water, then lightly pat dry between paper towels. Halve tentacles lengthwise and cut bodies (including flaps, if attached) crosswise into 1/3-inch-wide rings.
- Cook squid in a 5- to 6-quart pot of boiling salted water , uncovered, until just opaque, 40 to 60 seconds. Drain in a colander and immediately transfer to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking. When squid is cool, drain and pat dry.
- Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then stir in onion and let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine squid, olives, tomatoes, celery, and parsley in a large bowl. Toss with dressing and season with salt and pepper. Let stand at least 15 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
THE BEST CALAMARI SALAD
- Clean calamari remove the fins and skin.
- If you wish to use the tenacles cut them off above the eyes remove the hard center.
- Cut the calamari into small rings.
- Cook the calamari in boiling salted water for approx 1 minute drain and rinse under cold water.
- Put into serving bowl add all the chopped ingredients stir to combine.
- In a small bowl add vinegar and lemon juice wish in olive oil to make an emulsion
- add to salad and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Prepare an ice water-bath; set aside. Add calamari rings to boiling water and cook until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Immediately transfer calamari to ice water bath; let cool 15 to 30 minutes. Drain calamari and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together olive oil, lemon juice, celery, olives, garlic, and basil. Add calamari and toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
GRAMMY'S CALAMARI SALAD
- In a medium bowl, mix lemon juice, garlic, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Stir in squid, and cook about 3 minutes, or until tender; drain.
- Toss squid, olives, and celery with the lemon juice mixture. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator until serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 119.3 calories, Carbohydrate 6.8 g, Cholesterol 264.5 mg, Fat 2.2 g, Fiber 1.3 g, Protein 18.2 g, SaturatedFat 0.5 g, Sodium 108.5 mg, Sugar 0.2 g
- To a large pot of boiling water, add lemon juice and salt. Add squid rings and cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Drain.
- Combine onion, celery, garlic, parsley, olive oil, vinegar and herbs with cooked squid and serve at room temperature or cool.
More about "calamari salad recipes"
SICILIAN CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE | GOURMET TRAVELLER
Cuisine ItalianAuthor Rodney DunnServings 4Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan, add onion and cook over low-medium heat, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle with sugar, add vinegar and raisins and simmer for 1 minute until reduced by half. Remove from heat and set aside until required.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Coarsely tear bread and combine in a large bowl with 2 tsp olive oil and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spread bread over an oven tray and cook for 10 minutes or until golden, then cool.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large frying pan, add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, add calamari and reserved tentacles and cook over high heat for 3 minutes or until just cooked. Season to taste.
EASY CALAMARI SALAD - REAL RECIPES FROM MUMS
Estimated Reading Time 50 secs
A GRILLED CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE THAT'S NOT FRIED | EAT ...
3.2/5 (35)Author David Zinczenko And Matt GouldingCuisine HealthyCategory Dinner, Lunch
10 BEST ITALIAN CALAMARI SALAD RECIPES | YUMMLY
SHRIMP AND CALAMARI SALAD - 2 SISTERS RECIPES BY ANNA …
4.8/5 (4)Category Seafood SaladServings 4Total Time 30 mins
- Next, rinse the squid thoroughly in cold water. Remove and discard any plastic-like spine bone from the inside. Cut the bodies into 1/2-inch rings. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to boil. Add some salt to the water, about 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt.
CHILLED CALAMARI SALAD WITH LEMON AND PARSLEY - …
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
- In a medium bowl combine onion, garlic, celery, red peppers, parsley, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and fresh pepper.
17 CALAMARI RECIPES WORTHY OF YOUR TIME | GOURMET …
EASY CALAMARI SALAD WITH BELL PEPPERS | BABAGANOSH
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
- In a large bowl, toss together the sliced red onion, rice vinegar, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Allow the marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Use a paper towel to thoroughly pat dry the sliced calamari. Combine the sliced calamari with the lemon pepper seasoning and mix well. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet or grill pan, and cook the calamari for about 5 minutes or until fully cooked, stirring frequently. It will release liquid, and that's OK. Just cook until the liquid is mostly evaporated, then remove from heat.
- Add the cooked calamari and the rest of the ingredients (sliced bell pepper, remaining olive oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and chopped parsley) to the large bowl with the marinated onions. Stir well and allow to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving, stirring every 10 minutes to distribute the zesty lemon dressing.
20 DELICIOUS CALAMARI RECIPES | AUSTRALIAN WOMEN'S …
- Calamari spaghettini. Tender, perfectly cooked calamari is beautiful tossed through light spaghettini to create this divine seafood pasta dish. Cooked with a zesty sauce, it's perfect for light dinner any time of year.
- Calamari and chips. Stop in at the fishmonger rather than the fish-n-chip shop and whip up this delicious calamari and chips by Women's Day. An easy tartare dip to go with and you're done in under 20 minutes.
- Calamari stuffed with fetta and chilli. We've detailed how to clean and prepare the calamari below; it's easier than you think! Remember that calamari cooks incredibly quickly; it's important not to overcook it because it will become tough and chewy, ruining the delicate nature of this tasty dish.
- Sweet chilli calamari stir-fry. Tender fresh calamari is tossed with sweet chilli sauce, hokkien noodles and fresh vegetables to create this delicious Asian stir-fry in no time at all.
- Calamari with baby bok choy. Full of fresh ingredients and tasty, tender calamari pieces, this beautiful Asian spiced stir-fry is easy to make and can be on the table in under 30 minutes.
FRESH SICILIAN MARINATED CALAMARI SALAD - SICILIAN FOOD ...
Servings 4Category Fish,Main Course
CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
Author Cafe FinaSteps 2Difficulty Easy
CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT | TASTE OF HOME
Cuisine Europe, ItalianCategory LunchServings 6Total Time 25 mins
CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE ...EASY SQUID DISH! - …
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE - GREATCHEFRECIPES.COM
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
BEST ITALIAN CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE …
CALAMARI - RECIPE: KOREAN GRILLED SQUID SALAD - …
SQUID SALAD - LIDIA
BEST CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE (SQUID!) - YOUTUBE
CALAMARI SALAD | WOOLWORTHS TASTE
CALAMARI OLIVE SALAD RECIPES
CALAMARI RECIPES | MARTHA STEWART
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #main-dish #salads #seafood #vegetables #european #diabetic #dinner-party #holiday-event #picnic #summer #italian #dietary #low-sodium #seasonal #low-saturated-fat #low-calorie #low-carb #independence-day #low-in-something #no-shell-fish #squid #onions #tomatoes #to-go
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook calamari salad at Patsy's?This recipe for calamari salad is courtesy of Sal Scognamillo, the owner of Patsy's. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Prepare an ice water-bath; set aside. Add calamari rings to boiling water and cook until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Immediately transfer calamari to ice water bath; let cool 15 to 30 minutes.
What is the best way to cook Calamari?This is a Southwestern style marinated calamari salad. In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and garlic. In a medium saucepan, bring the wine and water to a low boil. Stir in the squid and cook until opaque, about 2 minutes.
What is shrimp and calamari salad?This Shrimp and Calamari Salad is an all-year-round recipe that is made with shrimp and squid (aka, calamari). It’s an easy version of an Italian seafood salad and each bite is juicy, refreshing, and lemony. Loaded with flavor, this salad is very light and will make the perfect side dish to serve during warm summer days.
How to make squid salad?Place the onion, garlic, wine and water in a medium saute pan. Bring to liquid to a boil. Add the prepared squid. Turn heat down to low. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. While squid is cooking prepare the dressing. In small bowl stir together the shallot, 2 garlic cloves, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt an pepper to taste.