- Salt and pepper the chicken quarters. Heat a large frying pan and brown the chicken in the Ghee. You will have to do this in two batches.
- Remove the chicken to a 6-quart stove-top covered casserole, leaving the fat in the pan.
- Add the garlic and onion to the pan and sauté until golden brown.
- Add to the casserole along with the ginger, cumin, mustard seed, cinnamon, cloves, turmeric, cayenne, and paprika.
- Sauté all for a few minutes and add all the remaining ingredients except for the garnishes.
- Cover and simmer until the chicken is tender. about 45 minutes. Stir a few times during cooking; partially remove the lid during the last 10 minutes or so to thicken the sauce. Top with garnishes.
- Ghee: Butter that is cooked to separate the clear butter fat from the milk solids and moisture, an ingenious method that allows butter to keep for long periods of time.
- Tamarind: Tamarind paste and concentrate, fresh products, are available in the produce section of many ethnic markets. Both products, made from the tamarind pod, need to be reconstituted.
- Toast the turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, cloves, cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-low heat until the spices are fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir the spices constantly as they toast, taking care that they do not burn. Stir in the olive oil, onion, garlic, and ginger. Increase heat to medium, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste until no lumps of paste remain. Add the chicken, potatoes, tomatoes, chicken broth, wine vinegar, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, and the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 15 minutes. Remove the cover, and cook 5 minutes more to thicken slightly. Season to taste with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 416.6 calories, Carbohydrate 50.4 g, Cholesterol 70.3 mg, Fat 11.6 g, Fiber 8.4 g, Protein 26.3 g, SaturatedFat 2.7 g, Sodium 785.1 mg, Sugar 10.9 g
- Soak the chiles in the vinegar in a small bowl for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the onions in a food processor and process until they become a paste. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside. Place the ginger and garlic in the food processor and process until they become a paste. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside. When the chiles are done soaking, place in the food processor and process until they become a paste. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable oil and heat it. Add the bay leaves, cloves, cardamom pods, cumin seed and cinnamon stick and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the onion paste and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic paste and cook, stirring occasionally, until the raw taste of the garlic goes away, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree. Add the chile paste, Kashmiri red chile powder, red chile powder, coriander, cumin, garam masala, turmeric powder and 1 tablespoon salt. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Add the chicken and potatoes, cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Serve with rice.
- Blend first 11 ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper in processor until paste forms. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add paste from processor and cook until golden, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add chicken and potatoes; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Uncover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes longer. Season with more cayenne, if desired, and salt and pepper.
- *A spice mixture available at Indian markets, some specialty foods stores, and many supermarkets. To substitute, mix 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon; use 1 teaspoon of mixture.
- Puree the garlic, chiles, ginger, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, the Worcestershire sauce, curry powder and paprika in a food processor until a paste forms, scraping down the sides and adding 1 to 2 tablespoons water as needed.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic-spice paste and cook, stirring constantly, until toasted and darkened in color, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to the skillet. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Add the chicken and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, 8 to 10 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper and thin with water, if needed. Serve with rice and top with cilantro.
- Puree first 9 ingredients in blender. Place chicken in large bowl. Pour puree mixture over and toss to coat chicken. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Wipe excess marinade off chicken and reserve all marinade. Heat Dutch oven over high heat. Add chicken and sauté 3 minutes.Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken to bowl. Reduce heat to medium. Add onions, bell peppers and reserved marinade to pan. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken and cook until juices thicken and chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.(Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Reheat over low heat before using.)
- Sprinkle chicken with chopped cilantro and serve over rice.
- *Available at Latin American markets and some supermarkets.
Turn up the heat with a homemade chicken vindaloo made with plenty of aromatic spices. Serve with warmed flatbreads for a simple, satisfying supper
Provided by danone9
Categories Dinner, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 17
- To prepare the chicken, mix the lemon juice, diced chicken, vinegar, garlic and ginger together in a large bowl with the dried spices. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add the spices, onion and salt. Cook, stirring, until the onion is browned but not burnt, about 10-15 mins. Reduce the heat to medium and add the marinated chicken. Cook, stirring, for another 5 mins. Add a splash of water, reduce the heat slightly, cover and simmer for 15-20 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with some coriander and crispy onions and serve with flatbreads, if you like.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 358 calories, Fat 19 grams fat, SaturatedFat 3 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 4 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 2 grams sugar, Fiber 1 grams fiber, Protein 42 grams protein, Sodium 0.9 milligram of sodium
CHICKEN VINDALOO WITH POTATOES
My husband heard of this dish and asked me to make it. I found this recipe and decided to give it a shot. Hubby and children devoured it! Not too long after, hubby and I went to an Indian restaurant and ordered their vindaloo. I was so pleased to find out this version I cooked at home was right on the mark. Garnish with toasted peanuts or sliced almonds, chopped mint and cilantro, and lime wedges. Serve over cooked rice.
Provided by Scouters Mom
Categories Indian Chicken Main Dishes
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Combine curry powder and paprika in a small bowl.
- Place chicken in a shallow dish. Mix with 1/2 of the spice blend, garlic, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Cover and let stand for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, chile pepper, ginger, bay leaves, and remaining spice blend. Season with salt and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and chicken stock; bring to a boil. Slide in chicken and potato. Cover the pan partially with a lid or foil, to allow some steam to escape. Reduce heat to a simmer and poach chicken in the sauce, about 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 327.8 calories, Carbohydrate 19.5 g, Cholesterol 92.2 mg, Fat 15 g, Fiber 3.7 g, Protein 28.1 g, SaturatedFat 3.5 g, Sodium 387.7 mg, Sugar 3.8 g
More about "chicken vindaloo recipes"
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - SWASTHI'S RECIPES
Ratings 88Calories 670 per servingCategory Main
CHICKEN VINDALOO (AUTHENTIC RECIPE!) - RASA MALAYSIA
4.4/5 (51)Total Time 50 minsCategory Indian RecipesCalories 360 per serving
- In another clean glass bowl add vinegar and soak all the ingredients needed for the spice blend for 15-20 minutes. Then blend these into a fine paste using a blender.
- Add the spice mixture paste to the chicken and toss well to evenly coat all the chicken pieces. Let the chicken marinate for 4-6 hours.
- In a large and deep skillet/wok heat the oil on medium heat. Add the marinated chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes. Stirring often.
CHICKEN VINDALOO CURRY RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
Ratings 22Calories 435 per servingCategory Dinner, Entree, Lunch
BEST CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN …
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - CHILI PEPPER MADNESS
EASY WEEKNIGHT CHICKEN VINDALOO - SEASONS AND SUPPERS
CHICKEN VINDALOO - GRUBDAILY — FOR TASTY THINGS
CHICKEN VINDALOO - COOKTHESTORY
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
GOAN CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE BY ARCHANA'S KITCHEN
QUICK CHICKEN VINDALOO - RECIPE - FINECOOKING
WHAT IS VINDALOO? EVERYTHING YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT …
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE BY ARCHANA'S KITCHEN
IS THIS THE BEST SPICY CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE?
VIBRANT VINDALOO CHICKEN | CHICKEN.CA
EASY CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - MASHED
CHICKEN VINDALOO | CANADIAN LIVING
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPES (SLOW COOKER OR INSTANT POT)
AUTHENTIC GOAN CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - SIMMER TO SLIMMER
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - VEG VEGAN MEAT
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CHICKEN VINDALOO — PATAKS
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE (STEP BY STEP + VIDEO) - WHISKAFFAIR
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE, AUTHENTIC CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE: A SPICY CURRY TO SPICE UP YOUR DIET
CHICKEN VINDALOO | SAVEUR
A CHICKEN'S VINDALOO - PINCH OF NOM
GUSTO TV - CHICKEN VINDALOO
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN VINDALOO, RECIPE BY MASTERCHEF …
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - SPICE CRAVINGS
VINDALOO | RECIPETIN EATS
CHICKEN VINDALOO - AUTHENTIC PRESSURE COOKER RECIPE - PIPING POT …
CHICKEN VINDALOO - RESTAURANT STYLE - GLEBE KITCHEN
CHICKEN VINDALOO | MADE AUTHENTICALLY IN THE INSTANT POT!
AUTHENTIC GOAN CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - SEEMA
INSTANT POT CHICKEN VINDALOO | MY HEART BEETS
THE BEST CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - MINISTRY OF CURRY
SPICY CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - COOKING THE GLOBE
RECIPE DETAIL PAGE | LCBO
#curries #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #main-dish #poultry #asian #indian #easy #dinner-party #chicken #dietary #spicy #one-dish-meal #low-calorie #comfort-food #low-carb #inexpensive #low-in-something #meat #whole-chicken #taste-mood #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love