VINDALOO FOR CHICKEN OR LAMB
- For the spice blend: Combine the turmeric, coriander, cumin, paprika, dry mustard, cardamom and cinnamon.
- For the chicken: Place the chicken (except for the wings) in a shallow dish and dress with half the spice blend, the garlic, lime juice and some salt and pepper. Cover and let marinate for 1 hour.
- Place the chicken wings in a small pot, cover with water and season with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer and poach for 30 minutes.
- For the vindaloo: Heat the vegetable oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, bay leaves, chile pepper, ginger, onions and the remaining curry spice blend. Season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes and about 1 cup of the wing stock and bring to boil. Slide in the chicken and partially cover with the lid or foil, allowing some steam to escape. Reduce the heat to a simmer and poach the chicken in the sauce, about 30 minutes.
- For serving: Meanwhile, prepare the rice according to the package directions. Heat the naan on a griddle pan with a splash of water, then brush with melted butter.
- Serve the vindaloo with choice of garnishes over the rice, and the naan on the side.
- Salt and pepper the chicken quarters. Heat a large frying pan and brown the chicken in the Ghee. You will have to do this in two batches.
- Remove the chicken to a 6-quart stove-top covered casserole, leaving the fat in the pan.
- Add the garlic and onion to the pan and sauté until golden brown.
- Add to the casserole along with the ginger, cumin, mustard seed, cinnamon, cloves, turmeric, cayenne, and paprika.
- Sauté all for a few minutes and add all the remaining ingredients except for the garnishes.
- Cover and simmer until the chicken is tender. about 45 minutes. Stir a few times during cooking; partially remove the lid during the last 10 minutes or so to thicken the sauce. Top with garnishes.
- Ghee: Butter that is cooked to separate the clear butter fat from the milk solids and moisture, an ingenious method that allows butter to keep for long periods of time.
- Tamarind: Tamarind paste and concentrate, fresh products, are available in the produce section of many ethnic markets. Both products, made from the tamarind pod, need to be reconstituted.
- Toast the turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, cloves, cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-low heat until the spices are fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir the spices constantly as they toast, taking care that they do not burn. Stir in the olive oil, onion, garlic, and ginger. Increase heat to medium, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste until no lumps of paste remain. Add the chicken, potatoes, tomatoes, chicken broth, wine vinegar, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, and the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 15 minutes. Remove the cover, and cook 5 minutes more to thicken slightly. Season to taste with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 416.6 calories, Carbohydrate 50.4 g, Cholesterol 70.3 mg, Fat 11.6 g, Fiber 8.4 g, Protein 26.3 g, SaturatedFat 2.7 g, Sodium 785.1 mg, Sugar 10.9 g
- Blend first 11 ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper in processor until paste forms. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add paste from processor and cook until golden, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add chicken and potatoes; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Uncover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes longer. Season with more cayenne, if desired, and salt and pepper.
- *A spice mixture available at Indian markets, some specialty foods stores, and many supermarkets. To substitute, mix 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon; use 1 teaspoon of mixture.
Turn up the heat with a homemade chicken vindaloo made with plenty of aromatic spices. Serve with warmed flatbreads for a simple, satisfying supper
Provided by danone9
Categories Dinner, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 17
- To prepare the chicken, mix the lemon juice, diced chicken, vinegar, garlic and ginger together in a large bowl with the dried spices. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add the spices, onion and salt. Cook, stirring, until the onion is browned but not burnt, about 10-15 mins. Reduce the heat to medium and add the marinated chicken. Cook, stirring, for another 5 mins. Add a splash of water, reduce the heat slightly, cover and simmer for 15-20 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with some coriander and crispy onions and serve with flatbreads, if you like.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 358 calories, Fat 19 grams fat, SaturatedFat 3 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 4 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 2 grams sugar, Fiber 1 grams fiber, Protein 42 grams protein, Sodium 0.9 milligram of sodium
JONAGOLD'S CHICKEN VINDALOO
- Cut a few shallow slits into each chicken drumstick, and place into a resealable plastic bag; set aside. Heat 5 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook and stir until the onion has turned golden brown, about 7 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat, and use a slotted spoon to scoop the onion mixture into a blender. Leave as much oil in the pot as you can, and set aside. Add 3 tablespoons white vinegar, coriander, cumin, garam masala, black pepper, salt, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. Puree until smooth, then pour into the bag with the chicken; mix until the chicken is evenly coated, and squeeze out excess air. Marinate at room temperature for 1 hour, or in the refrigerator for 3 hours or longer.
- After the chicken has marinated, heat the oil left in the Dutch oven over high heat, and stir in the curry leaves and mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds have finished popping and have turned gray, remove the chicken from its marinade, and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Pour in the remaining marinade and water. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- While the chicken is cooking, deep fry the potato cubes until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Once the chicken has cooked for 20 minutes, stir in the potatoes and 2 tablespoons of white vinegar. Recover, and continue to simmer until the chicken is no longer pink at the bone, at least more 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 716.8 calories, Carbohydrate 25 g, Cholesterol 133.8 mg, Fat 48.4 g, Fiber 3.9 g, Protein 45.3 g, SaturatedFat 7.9 g, Sodium 133.3 mg, Sugar 3.2 g
- Puree the garlic, chiles, ginger, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, the Worcestershire sauce, curry powder and paprika in a food processor until a paste forms, scraping down the sides and adding 1 to 2 tablespoons water as needed.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic-spice paste and cook, stirring constantly, until toasted and darkened in color, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to the skillet. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Add the chicken and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, 8 to 10 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper and thin with water, if needed. Serve with rice and top with cilantro.
More about "chicken vindaloo recipes"
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - CHILI PEPPER MADNESS
4.9/5 (54)Total Time 30 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 252 per serving
- Mix your marinade by whisking together the vinegar and all of the seasonings. Pour it over the chicken and rub it into the meat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Longer is better, such as overnight.
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion and peppers and cook about 4-5 minutes, until they soften up.
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - SWASTHI'S RECIPES
Ratings 68Calories 670 per servingCategory Main See details »
CHICKEN VINDALOO CURRY RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - NDTV FOOD
5/5 (3)Category IndianServings 2Total Time 1 hr 5 mins See details »
GOAN CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE BY ARCHANA'S KITCHEN
4.9/5 (17.3K)Servings 5Cuisine Goan RecipesTotal Time 50 mins See details »
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE BY ARCHANA'S KITCHEN
4.9/5 See details »
CHICKEN VINDALOO | CHRISTOPHER KIMBALL’S MILK STREET
Servings 4Total Time 1 hr 20 minsCategory Mains See details »
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN VINDALOO, RECIPE BY MASTERCHEF SANJEEV ...
Category Main-Course-ChickenEstimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Put dried red chillies, cinnamon, garlic, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and ginger in a mixer jar. Add some water and malt vinegar and grind into a smooth paste.
CHICKEN VINDALOO (AUTHENTIC RECIPE!) - RASA MALAYSIA
4.4/5 (45)Total Time 50 minsCategory Indian RecipesCalories 360 per serving
- In another clean glass bowl add vinegar and soak all the ingredients needed for the spice blend for 15-20 minutes. Then blend these into a fine paste using a blender.
- Add the spice mixture paste to the chicken and toss well to evenly coat all the chicken pieces. Let the chicken marinate for 4-6 hours.
- In a large and deep skillet/wok heat the oil on medium heat. Add the marinated chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes. Stirring often.
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE, AUTHENTIC CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE
4.9/5 (7)Category MainCuisine Goan, IndianTotal Time 35 mins
- Marinate chicken by adding above six ingredients chicken cubes, rice vinegar, ground cumin, turmeric powder and salt in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes. If you are not in hurry, marinate for longer as it will add more taste.
- Gather ingredients whole black peppercorns, bay leaf, cardamom pods, dried red finger chilies, whole cloves.
- In a grinder or blender add garlic, green chilies, ginger, tamarind and cinnamon powder. Blend mixture to a smooth paste.
- Place a pan over medium heat. Add two tablespoon of oil (I prefer ghee). Add the chopped onions. I like to use chopped onion instead of onion paste because sometime paste turns curry taste bitter.
EASY WEEKNIGHT CHICKEN VINDALOO - SEASONS AND SUPPERS
4.9/5 (9)Total Time 50 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 304 per serving
- In a large saucepan with a lid, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat. Add cubed chicken and cook until you don't see any raw spots, 3-4 minutes. Remove from pot to a plate.
- Add 1 Tbsp more oil to the pot. Add the diced onion and cook, stirring, until quite soft and starting to brown lightly, about 4-5 minutes. (I like to add a splash of water to the pot about half way through cooking onions, which loosens any brown bits on the bottom of the pan and flavours the onions). Add the garlic and ginger to the pot and cook, stirring, another 30-45 seconds. Add the prepared spice mix to the pot and cook, stirring, for 45 seconds - 1 minute. Add the tomato paste to the pot and stir to combine. Add the vinegar and water or chicken stock to the pot and stir. Return the chicken to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and cover the pot with a lid.
- Allow the curry to simmer covered for about 20 minutes, for the flavours to blend and the chicken to cook through. Remove the lid and simmer another further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to thicken the sauce.
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE (STEP BY STEP + VIDEO) - WHISKAFFAIR
4.5/5 (125)Total Time 1 hrCategory Main CourseCalories 343 per serving
- Add 10-12 whole dry red chilies (stalk removed), 2 tbsp whole coriander seeds, 3-4 cloves, 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick, 2-3 green cardamoms, 8-10 black peppercorns, 1 tsp cumin seeds, and 1 tsp mustard seeds to a skillet.
- Dry roast on medium heat until fragrant and slightly browned (3-4 minutes). Keep stirring while roasting.
- Once the spices are roasted, remove the skillet from heat and let them cool down completely. Add the roasted spices to a high-speed blender along with a 1-inch piece of ginger (chopped), 8-10 cloves of garlic (peeled), 1 tbsp white vinegar, 1-½ tbsp tamarind paste, and ½ cup water and blend to make a smooth paste.
CHICKEN VINDALOO | MADE AUTHENTICALLY IN THE INSTANT POT ...
Ratings 185Calories 199 per servingCategory Main Courses
- In a large microwavable bowl, heat the onions, garlic, ginger and oil for 5 -7 minutes until the vegetables are browned on the edges.
- Pour veggies into a blender and combine with all other ingredients except turmeric, water and chicken. Blend into a smooth paste.
- Place chicken in a bowl, and coat with the spice and vegetable mixture. Stir well to coat the chicken. Wash out the blender bowl with the 1/4 cup water and pour that over the chicken as well. Mix.
SPICY CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - COOKING THE GLOBE
Cuisine IndianCategory Main CourseServings 2
- Place the dry red chili peppers, peppercorns, coriander, cumin, ginger, garlic, and vinegar into your chutney grinder
- In a container with lid, add the prepared vindaloo paste and chicken pieces and mix together so the chicken is completely coated. Place a lid onto the container and refrigerate for 1 hour up to overnight to mariande.
CHICKEN VINDALOO FROM 'MILK STREET' | WTTW CHICAGO
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins See details »
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - VEG VEGAN MEAT
Reviews 1Servings 4Cuisine IndianCategory Chicken See details »
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE | SUJI'S COOKING
Cuisine GoanCategory Main Course, Side DishServings 5 See details »
DELICIOUS RECIPE OF CHICKEN VINDALOO | CHICKEN RECIPES
5/5 (1)Servings 4Cuisine East Indian RecipesCategory Main Course See details »
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE RESTAURANT STYLE | HOW TO MAKE ...
See details »
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE: HAVE THE BEST DISH ON YOUR PLATE
See details »
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - YOUTUBE
See details »
#curries #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #main-dish #poultry #asian #indian #easy #dinner-party #chicken #dietary #spicy #one-dish-meal #low-calorie #comfort-food #low-carb #inexpensive #low-in-something #meat #whole-chicken #taste-mood #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love