CHINESE EGGPLANT IN GARLIC SAUCE
Eggplant is the star of vegetarian entrée. The aromatic sauce is flavored heavily with garlic and has just the right amount of Chinese five spice and chili oil.
Provided by Arlyn Osborne
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Add 3/4 cup of water and the cornstarch to a medium bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, hoisin, vinegar, Chinese five spice, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- To prepare the eggplant, slice the ends off of an eggplant. Slice into thirds horizontally, so you have 3 cylinders. Slice each cylinder lengthwise into quarters, so you have sticks. Repeat with remaining eggplants.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add half of the eggplant, season with salt and pepper, and cook until charred and softened, about 7 - 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with remaining half.
- Deglaze the pan with 2 tablespoons of water, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the skillet. Pour into the bowl with the eggplant.
- Lower the heat to medium and add about a teaspoon of oil to the skillet. Add the garlic and scallions and sauté for 30 - 60 seconds.
- Give the sauce mixture a good whisk and pour into the skillet. Let simmer until thickened, about 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and chili oil to the skillet. Season with salt. Stir to combine and let cook for 5 - 7 minutes so the eggplant can absorb all the flavors.
- Garnish with sliced scallions.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 111.1, Fat 0.7, SaturatedFat 0.1, Cholesterol 0.1, Sodium 340.7, Carbohydrate 26.1, Fiber 8.4, Sugar 13.6, Protein 3.4
EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE
- Heat the canola oil in a skillet over high heat. Cook and stir the eggplant until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in the water, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder. Cover and simmer until all the water is absorbed. Meanwhile, mix sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, and oyster sauce in a bowl until sugar and cornstarch have dissolved. Stir sauce into the eggplant, making sure to evenly coat the eggplant. Cook until the sauce has thickened.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 186.8 calories, Carbohydrate 29.2 g, Fat 8 g, Fiber 13.2 g, Protein 4.9 g, SaturatedFat 0.7 g, Sodium 223.6 mg, Sugar 13.2 g
EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE
- Place the eggplant in a large bowl. Sprinkle all over with salt and toss. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch until the cornstarch dissolves. Stir in 3/4 cup water, the garlic and the soybean and chili pastes.
- In a large wok or sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over high heat. When the oil just starts to smoke, add the pork, season with salt and cook, stirring, until no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pork to a plate.
- Dab eggplant dry with paper towels. In the wok, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium high until it just starts to smoke. Add the eggplant, and sauté until lightly browned and tender, about 5 minutes. Add the soy-sauce mixture. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Once the sauce thickens, add the pork and 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a lively simmer until the sauce thickens and the eggplant is tender, about 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt. If you choose, serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 225, UnsaturatedFat 10 grams, Carbohydrate 12 grams, Fat 16 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 9 grams, SaturatedFat 5 grams, Sodium 438 milligrams, Sugar 6 grams
EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE
I found this recipe in a 1981 issue of Bon Appetit. It was in the Great Cooks section featuring a "Chinese New Year's Feast".
Provided by Leslie in Texas
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 22
- Place pork in mixing bowl.
- Add sherry, egg white and salt and mix with hands until egg white is foamy.
- Add cornstarch and mix again until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- For Sauce: Combine broth,soy sauce.vinegar,sugar,dissolved cornstarch, chili paste and wine or sherry in small bowl and mix well; set aside.
- Heat 4 cups oil in wok or deep fryer to 350 degrees.
- Add eggplant in small batches and fry until lightly colored.
- Drain on paper towels,pressing to remove as much oil as possible.
- Let same oil cool down to 280 degrees.
- Add pork and stir constantly until pieces separate.
- Cook 1 minute longer; drain in sieve.
- Can be done 6 to 8 hours ahead to this point and refrigerated.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in wok or large skillet over high heat.
- Add peppers, ginger and garlic and stir-fry 10 to 15 seconds.
- Add eggplant, pork and sauce (stir before adding) and stir-fry gently until heated through and sauce is bubbling and thickened.
- Stir in green onion.
- Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1094, Fat 113.5, SaturatedFat 15.2, Cholesterol 28.1, Sodium 395.4, Carbohydrate 8.8, Fiber 1.9, Sugar 4.2, Protein 10.5
More about "chinese eggplant in garlic sauce recipes"
CHINESE EGGPLANT IN GARLIC SAUCE - HEALTHIER STEPS
Ratings 28Category Main CourseCuisine ChineseTotal Time 53 mins
- Cut eggplants into strips and set aside. Prepare sauce by combining vegetable broth, soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice, molasses, cornstarch, cayenne pepper and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok on medium-high heat, saute eggplant strips until golden brown (may need extra oil).
- Remove eggplant strips and set aside. Add garlic, ginger, spring onions and bell pepper, saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add sauteed eggplant strips and quickly add sauce to the skillet stirring and cook stirring until sauce thickens. Check seasoning and add salt to taste if needed.
CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE - THE WOKS OF LIFE
5/5 (45)Total Time 25 minsCategory VegetablesCalories 244 per serving
- Wash the eggplants, cut the ends off and slice them into equal sized pieces. After slicing, separate the green and white portions of the scallions into roughly two piles.
- Over very high heat, heat a tablespoon of oil in your wok. Add half of the eggplant and let it sear until brown on all sides. You can lower the heat if it looks like they're starting to burn. You want to cook the eggplant for about 5 minutes until they start to get soft and have a nice sear. Take this first batch of eggplant out of the pan, heat a second tablespoon of oil, and do the same with your second batch. Set all the cooked eggplant aside on a plate.
- Set the heat to medium high and add the last tablespoon of oil to the wok, along with the ground pork. After the pork has browned, add the ginger and cook for a minute to let it crystalize with the pork. Stir in the whole red chili peppers and the minced garlic, and after a minute, turn the heat back up to high. Add the eggplant back in, along with the stir-fry sauce, the white parts of the scallions, and the shaoxing wine. Stir-fry everything together for another 2 minutes, making sure everything is well-combined.
CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE | PICKLED PLUM
Reviews 36Calories 194 per servingCategory Stir Fry
- In a large pan over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon peanut oil and eggplant. Stir fry for a few minutes (about 5 minutes) until the sides are golden brown and the center is tender.
- Transfer eggplant to a plate and add remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil to the pan. Add garlic, ginger, red chilis and cook for 1 minute.
- Add eggplant and scallions, toss and pour the sauce. Stir fry for 1 minute, until all the vegetables are coated.
EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE (鱼香茄子) | MADE WITH LAU
- We'll place a steamer rack in our wok, pan, or steamer, and pour enough water to just barely submerge the rack. Set the stove on high heat and bring the water to a boil.
- Once the eggplants are done steaming, you can tell if they're done by squeezing them. They should be soft and a tad bit squishy, but not mushy.
THIS CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE IS THE ULTIMATE 20-MINUTE …
CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE (鱼香茄子)
RESTAURANT STYLED 20 MINUTES CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE
CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH SPICY GARLIC SAUCE – CLEAN FOOD CAFE
STEAMED EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
CHINESE EGGPLANT RECIPE – HOW TO COOK PERFECT EGGPLANT – TASTE …
SICHUAN (SZECHUAN) EGGPLANT IN GARLIC SAUCE RECIPE
CHINESE EGGPLANT RECIPE WITH GARLIC SAUCE — DAMN, SPICY!
CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE - RICARDO CUISINE
STUFFED EGGPLANTS IN GARLIC SAUCE - CHINA SICHUAN FOOD
DEEP FRIED CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH SPICY GARLIC SAUCE RECIPE
EGGPLANT WITH MINCED MEAT RECIPE - SIMPLE CHINESE FOOD
EGGPLANT IN GARLIC SAUCE - SONI'S FOOD
EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE | AUTHENTIC CHINESE FOOD RECIPES BLOG
ROASTED EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC RECIPE - SIMPLE CHINESE FOOD
CHINESE EGGPLANTS WITH GARLIC SAUCE - CHINA SICHUAN FOOD
SICHUAN EGGPLANT IN SPICY CHILLI GARLIC SAUCE RECIPE
10 BEST CHINESE EGGPLANT GARLIC SAUCE RECIPES | YUMMLY
CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE [VEGAN, GRAIN-FREE]
EGGPLANT IN CHINESE GARLIC SAUCE RECIPE - RECIPETIPS.COM
EGGPLANT IN GARLIC SAUCE RECIPE (OIL-FREE & PLANT-BASED)
CHINESE EGGPLANT IN HOT GARLIC SAUCE RECIPE - THE MAD SCIENTISTS …
CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE (RECIPE) - YOUTUBE
CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH SPICY SZECHUAN SAUCE - FEASTING AT HOME
CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE - MEGSKITCHENRECIPES.COM
CHINESE EGGPLANT IN GARLIC SAUCE - PLANT CRAFT
CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE | GOURMANDELLE
CHINESE EGGPLANTS WITH CHILI GARLIC SAUCE - BIANCA ZAPATKA | RECIPES
CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH SPICY GARLIC SAUCE - SAVORY SIMPLE
CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE (鱼香茄子)
GRILLED CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC AND GINGER SAUCE RECIPE
CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE (EGGPLANT STIR-FRY)
EGGPLANT - WIKIPEDIA
CRAVE-WORTHY CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE (EASY STIR FRY …
EGGPLANT IN GARLIC SAUCE | SAVEUR
PALEO CHINESE EGGPLANT IN GARLIC SAUCE - I HEART UMAMI®
EASY 20 MINUTE CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC HONEY SOY SAUCE
CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE - ASIAN CAUCASIAN FOOD BLOG
CHINESE SPICY GARLIC EGGPLANT (YU XIANG QIE ZI) - SAVEUR
EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC SAUCE (YU XIANG QIEZI, 鱼香茄子)
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook eggplants in soy sauce?In a small bowl combine light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar, 2 teaspoon cornstarch and water. Mix it well. Place eggplants in a large bowl and toss it with the remaining cornstarch to coat. Heat up a wok, add oil then cook eggplants in one layer until they are lightly charred.
How to cook Chinese eggplant in oven?Char the Chinese eggplants in the oven on the broil setting for 12 to 14 minutes. Using a large wok or heavy skillet, heat the remaining safflower oil on medium high heat. Add the minced garlic, green onions, red and yellow bell peppers, and ginger. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
What is Sichuan eggplant in spicy chilli garlic sauce?The Sichuan Eggplant in Spicy Chilli Garlic Sauce Recipe is one dish that is extremely quick to make that can be served along with an Chinese Vegetable Fried Rice or Vegetable Hakka Noodles. The eggplants, when roasted absorbs the spices from Sichuan sauce along with ginger and garlic making it flavorful and delicious.
What are some good recipes to make with eggplant?Discard water and dry wok; heat over high. Add canola oil, garlic, and ginger; stir-fry 10 seconds. Add eggplant; stir-fry 20 seconds. Stir in reserved sauce and cook until sauce is thickened, 3–5 minutes. Remove from heat and drizzle with sesame oil; garnish with scallions. With a boozy glaze and a sparkle of winter spice.