POTATO LEEK GRATIN
Layer thinly sliced potatoes in a gratin dish, and then take your time sautéing the leeks, letting them turn a little golden and crisp around the edges, which brings out their sweetness. Add the leeks to the potatoes, and using the same pan in which you cooked the leeks, scrape up the brown bits at the bottom of the pan with a mix of cream, garlic, thyme and nutmeg, pouring that over the potatoes and leeks.
Provided by Melissa Clark
Categories casseroles, side dish
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 2-quart gratin dish. Wash the leeks to remove any grit and slice thinly crosswise.
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, slice the potatoes into rounds, 1/8-inch thick. Toss with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Layer the rounds in the gratin dish.
- Melt the 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, remaining salt and pepper, and thyme. Cook, stirring, until leeks are tender and golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Discard thyme and scatter the leeks over the potatoes.
- Add cream, garlic and bay leaf to the skillet, scraping up browned bits of leeks from the bottom of the pan. Simmer gently for 5 minutes. Stir in nutmeg.
- Pour the cream over the leeks and potatoes and top with the Gruyère. Cover with aluminum foil and transfer to the oven. Bake for 40 minutes, uncover and bake until the cheese is bubbling and golden, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Let cool slightly before serving.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 352, UnsaturatedFat 8 grams, Carbohydrate 27 grams, Fat 24 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 9 grams, SaturatedFat 15 grams, Sodium 461 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams, TransFat 0 grams
POTATO & LEEK GRATIN
A Weight Watchers recipe for an elegant but easy side dish. Posting it here to save for my Easter menu but thought other chefs might be interested as well. (Core or 2 points)
Provided by justcallmetoni
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Place the broth in a large saucepan along with the seasonings (1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, garlic chips, salt and pepper).
- Trim off the dark green part of the leek. (Use for another purpose.) Take the white-light green portion and split in half lengthwise. Place that in a water bath and rinse well, changing water as needed in order to remove all dirt and sand from the leek. Once clean, slice the leek into thin half discs. Place into the pot of seasoned broth.
- Peel potatoes and slice very thin by hand or by using a mandoline or food processor. Slices should be less than 1/4 inch thick. Place potatoes in the saucepan.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat contents of the saucepan to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce flame to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tooth tender - you can bite'em but they still have some resistance - about 5 minutes.
- Place the contents of the saucepan into 6 individual gratin dishes, ramekins or custard cups. Press down to level the tops. (should your mixture only partially fill the dishes, add a mixture of water and additional broth so that the tops of the contents is within a half inch of the lip of the dish.) Garnish with the remaining thyme.
- Set the dishes on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Check for potatoes for doneness. Apply a *very* quick application of cooking spray to the tops to aide crispness. Cook an additional 10 minutes or until the potatoes are done and the tops are a crispy golden brown.
- For Vegetarian do not use the Chicken Broth option.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 131.7, Fat 0.7, SaturatedFat 0.2, Sodium 131.6, Carbohydrate 28.5, Fiber 2.7, Sugar 2.3, Protein 4.3
LEEK AND POTATO CASSEROLE
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an oval baking dish. Drain the leeks and rinse.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the leeks and thyme, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the leeks are softened and golden, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Peel and slice the potatoes into very thin rounds. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer half of the potatoes in the buttered dish, then layer half of the cooked leeks over the potatoes. Repeat the layers.
- Return the skillet to medium heat and add the cream cheese, cream, chicken stock and garlic. Stir together, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. Sprinkle with the paprika and some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and simmer for about 5 minutes so the cheese melts. Pour the cream mixture over the leeks and potatoes and top with the grated cheese.
- Cover with foil and transfer to the oven. Bake for 40 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking until the cheese is bubbly and golden, 15 to 20 minutes more. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
CREAMY POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN
Cutting leeks into large pieces (they almost dissolve when thinly sliced) gives them a presence equal to disks of potato, while cooking the vegetables separately-the leeks are braised in butter, the spuds are simmered in milk and cream-preserves their distinct flavors. The glorious results will supply the homiest meatloaf supper with pizzazz.
Provided by Lillian Chou
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Generously butter a 3-qt shallow baking dish. Cut a round of parchment paper to fit just inside a 12-inch heavy skillet, then set parchment aside.
- Halve leeks lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1 1/2-inch pieces (you should have about 8 cups). Wash leeks.
- Cook leeks in butter with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, covered with parchment round, in skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes and slice crosswise 1/16 inch thick with slicer. Transfer to a large heavy pot with cream, milk, thyme, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally (liquid will thicken). Stir in leeks, then transfer to baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Do Ahead
- Gratin can be baked 2 days ahead and chilled. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes, then reheat, covered, in a 350°F oven until hot, about 30 minutes.
POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Fill a large bowl with water. Peel potatoes and add them to water as you peel, to prevent discoloration.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add cream, milk, and nutmeg; cook until bubbles form around the edge. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick. Place in even layers in a large shallow baking dish; season with salt and pepper. Pour leek-cream mixture over potatoes; sprinkle with cheese.
- Transfer to oven and bake until potatoes are fork-tender and top is brown and bubbling, about 55 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool about 10 minutes before serving.
POTATO & LEEK GRATIN
- Pour the stock, cream and milk into a small saucepan, add the garlic and bay leaf and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, cover and let the flavours infuse while you get on with the rest of the dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4/fan 160C. Butter a 2 litre gratin dish well. Mix the potatoes, leeks and ham (if using) together in the dish, and spread out in an even layer. Pour over the stock mixture and tuck the bay leaf in the middle. Season and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Stand the dish on a baking tray to catch any spills. Loosely cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Test the potatoes with a knife - they should be just beginning to soften. Remove the foil and bake for another 35-45 minutes, spooning some of the stock mixture over every now and again until the potatoes are tender. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 486 calories, Fat 28 grams fat, SaturatedFat 17 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 40 grams carbohydrates, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 21 grams protein, Sodium 1.95 milligram of sodium
Looking for a hearty meatless casserole dinner? Then try this potato and leek gratin that's ready in 50 minutes - perfect if you love French cuisine.
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat oven to 425°. Grease 2-quart gratin dish or shallow baking dish.
- Heat milk, garlic, salt and pepper to simmering in 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat; add potatoes and leeks. Cook uncovered about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, just until tender.
- Spoon potato mixture into gratin dish. Mix sour cream and mustard; spoon over potato mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly around edge and golden brown on top.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 235, Carbohydrate 29 g, Cholesterol 30 mg, Fiber 2 g, Protein 11 g, SaturatedFat 5 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 530 mg
More about "creamy potato and leek gratin recipes"
POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN RECIPE | COOKING LIGHT
Servings 10Calories 134 per servingTotal Time 45 mins
LEEK AND POTATO GRATIN - LIFE MADE SIMPLE
POTATO AND CELERY ROOT GRATIN WITH LEEKS RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
CREAMY POTATO GRATIN - DAMN DELICIOUS
CHEESY LEEKS AND POTATOES AU GRATIN - SEASON & THYME
CREAMY POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN | KITCHEN STORIES RECIPE
4.5/5 (32)Category MainServings 4Total Time 1 hr 10 mins
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Peel and slice both potatoes into thin discs. Slice leek into rings. Pluck leaves from thyme sprig and chop. Mince garlic.
- Grate Gruyère and Parmesan cheeses. Mix together cream, vegetable broth, grated Parmesan, garlic, and thyme in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer gratin to oven and bake at 200°C/400°F for approx. 25 min. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with grated Gruyère, and bake for another 15 min. Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts all over and let bake for another 10 min. Enjoy!
TASTETORONTO | CREAMY COD AND LEEK POTATO GRATIN
POTATO LEEK GRATIN ポテトとリークのグラタン • JUST ONE COOKBOOK
LEEK AND POTATO GRATIN | WHOLEHEARTED VEGAN
LEEK, CARROT AND POTATO GRATIN – A PERFECT SIDE DISH
10 BEST LEEK AND POTATO GRATIN NO CREAM RECIPES | YUMMLY
LEEK AND POTATO GRATIN RECIPE - KEEF COOKS
CREAMY POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
CREAMY LEEK AND POTATO GRATIN | YOUNG LOVE MOMMY
POTATO LEEK AND CHEESE GRATIN RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
CREAMY POTATO-LEEK GRATIN | SCHNUCKS
LEEK AND POTATO GRATIN | RICARDO
POTATO LEEK GRATIN - WHOLESOME MADE EASY
CLASSIC POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN — COOKING AT THE COTTAGE
POTATO-LEEK GRATIN RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CREAMY PURPLE POTATO & LEEK GRATIN | STEPH IN THYME
CLASSIC POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN — RECIPE BOX
LEEK AND POTATO GRATIN RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
POTATO LEEK GRATIN RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
CREAMY POTATO LEEK GRATIN WITH FENNEL AND GRUYERE
POTATO LEEK GRATIN WITH CHEDDAR AND PANCETTA - JUST A LITTLE BIT OF …
EASY MUSHROOM AND POTATO LEEK GRATIN | TRIED AND TRUE RECIPES
CREAMY POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
CREAMY SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH LEEKS AND KALE - THE FLOUR …
ROASTED POTATO AND LEEK SOUP - THERESCIPES.INFO
10 BEST LEEK AND POTATO GRATIN NO CREAM RECIPES | YUMMLY
PASSE-MOI LE GRATIN, S’IL TE PLâIT: CREAMY POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN
POTATO LEEK GRATIN | A HINT OF HONEY
SKILLET POTATO LEEK GRATIN | FOR THE LOVE OF COOKING
HAM, LEEK & POTATO GRATIN | THE ENGLISH KITCHEN
POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
CREAMY POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
POTATO & LEEK GRATIN RECIPE | EATINGWELL
CREAMY POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN – SMITTEN KITCHEN
JACQUES PEPIN POTATO LEEK SOUP RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
CREAMY LEEK GRATIN RECIPE | REAL SIMPLE
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook potatoes and leeks for gratin?Preparation Heat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 2-quart gratin dish. Wash the leeks to remove any grit and slice thinly crosswise. Using a mandoline or sharp knife, slice the potatoes into rounds, 1/8-inch thick. Toss with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Melt the 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
How do you cook leeks and potatoes in the oven?Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an oval baking dish. Drain the leeks and rinse. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the leeks and thyme, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the leeks are softened and golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Peel and slice the potatoes into very thin rounds.
What is the best way to cook a baked potato gratin?Lightly butter a large (about 1.6 litre) gratin dish, then add a layer of overlapping potato slices. Season the potatoes and cover with the leeks and all the juices, then add the final layer of potato slices and season again. Pour over the cream and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown on top.
How to cook leeks and potatoes in a crock pot?Melt the 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, remaining salt and pepper, and thyme. Cook, stirring, until leeks are tender and golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Discard thyme and scatter the leeks over the potatoes.