Expand your culinary horizons with Ecuadorian Humitas! You'll love these buttery, cheesy cornmeal Ecuadorian Humitas prepared in corn husks.
Provided by My Food and Family
Yield Makes 9 servings, 2 humitas each.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Remove green husks and silk from corn, being careful to keep husks whole. Discard silk. Place husks in large pot of boiling water and blanch 1 minute. Remove from water; drain.
- Cut kernels off cobs. Place half of the kernels and onions in blender container; cover. Blend on medium speed until smooth. Pour into large bowl. Place remaining corn kernels, butter, baking powder, eggs and cornmeal in blender container; cover. Blend until smooth. Add to corn puree in bowl. Stir in cheese. (Batter will be thick but not stiff.)
- Place 2 of the corn husks on work surface, with long sides slightly overlapping. Spoon 1/4 cup of the corn puree onto bottom half of the husks; fold the top of the husks over the filling. Fold in half from the left side, then fold in half again from the right side. (One end of each humita should remain open.) Repeat with 34 of the remaining corn husks and remaining corn puree. Keep folded ends in place by tieing closed with thin strips of the remaining corn husks.
- Fill a large pot with 2 cups water. Line steamer basket with half of the leftover corn husks; place in pot. Stand the humitas, open ends up, in the basket; cover with the remaining corn husks. Cover the pot with a lid. Bring water to boil on high heat. Reduce heat to low; steam 30 minutes or until humitas are firm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 230, Fat 13 g, SaturatedFat 7 g, TransFat 0 g, Cholesterol 95 mg, Sodium 250 mg, Carbohydrate 0 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugar 0 g, Protein 11 g
ANDEAN HUMITA EN CHALA
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion until soft (do not let it brown), about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut around base of each ear of corn and gently remove husks whole. Reserve husks. Brush silk off ears.
- Grate kernels off corncobs into medium bowl, or slice off and pulse in processor to rough purée. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in cooked onions, milk, and red pepper flakes. Chill mixture until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. To assemble 1 humita, choose a thinner, more flexible inner husk and tie thin end into knot. Split up to knot and set aside to use as tie. Lay 2 of widest husks side by side (narrow ends at top and bottom), overlapping a few inches to form rectangle. Spoon 1/4 cup filling into center, then fold sides over to cover filling. Fold in top and bottom to make enclosed rectangular package. Tie crosswise with knotted husk. Repeat with remaining filling and husks. Place finished humitas on baking sheet and bake until heated through, about 15 minutes.
ECUADOREAN ECUADORIAN TAMALES DE NAVIDAD - FOR CHRISTMAS
This is our family recipe for traditional Christmas tamales. They are nothing at all like Mexican tamales. The dough is smoother and slightly sweet. The filling is also completely different from any other kind of tamale I have ever eaten. I have given the family recipe but, of course, I have made a few changes to it. I use all butter instead of using any lard, though everyone says that they taste better if you use the lard. I usually use 4 lbs of masa flour and 12 cups broth. I use 2 large whole chickens for that quantity of masa, and 2 1/2 lbs butter, no lard, and it works out well. Of course you have to increase all other ingredients accordingly. Some stores carry Maseca instead of Masa Harina. It is just as good. Though these are very fattening and very labor intensive, they are worth it. I make the increased quantity so that I can give them away. Even the people at work like them. We make them only once a year, so forget about the diet. We all love these!
Provided by Pesto lover
Categories Chicken Breast
Yield 6-8 tamales, 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 27
- Place whole chicken in large pot with water to cover. Add 1 whole onion, 1 garlic clove, 2 sprigs parsley, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Cook on medium heat until the chicken is falling off the bone.
- Remove chicken from water & cool.
- Strain broth and reserve 4 cups.
- When cool, skin and bone chicken. Shed chicken meat.
- Add 2 tbsp oil in skillet and add 1/2 diced onion. Sauté over low heat until very soft. Add peanut butter and mix until melted, about 2 minutes. Add 1 tbsp sugar, milk and allspice. Cook until almost ready to boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large heavy pot, place masa flour and 3 cups cooled broth. First whisk and then continue to mix with strong wooden spoon. Cook over medium high heat, do not let lumps form. Turn often with wooden spoon. When a thin dark brown crust forms on the bottom of the pot, it is done.
- Let masa cool in pot until lukewarm. Turn masa out onto board or waxed paper.
- When cool enough to handle, add butter, and lard if you are using it. Knead in by hand. Add 6 oz sugar and knead it. Taste a bit of masa for salt. If your broth was not salty, add 1/2-3/4 tsp salt. Add in the 3 eggs, one at a time. Knead well.
- Separate out balls of dough, about the size of a small lemon. Place in center of each banana leaf or foil or parchment paper square wrapper and pat out with your hand until each is about 6" round.
- Place about 1/4 c chicken filling onto each masa round.
- Place one piece of hard-boiled egg, one olive, 1 slice red bell pepper, 3 pieces of parboiled onion and 3 raisins on top of chicken mixture on each masa round.
- Fold over each round into half-moon shape and press edges together well.
- Fold over wrapper and tie with kitchen twine if using banana leaves. if using foil or parchment paper, seal edges well.
- Place tamales, in batches, in steamer and steam for 30 minutes.
- Serve with wrapper still on. Each person opens their own.
- If you want to omit a certain filling ingredient from some of them, you can tie different colors of thread around those to identify them later.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1786.2, Fat 126.3, SaturatedFat 50.1, Cholesterol 502.6, Sodium 1521.2, Carbohydrate 106.5, Fiber 7, Sugar 41.4, Protein 59.4
More about "ecuadorian humitas recipes"
HUMITAS OR STEAMED FRESH CORN CAKES - LAYLITA'S RECIPES
4.9/5 (296)Category Breakfast, BrunchCuisine Ecuadorian, Latin AmericanEstimated Reading Time 10 mins
- Remove the husks from the corn; try to keep each husk intact, the large ones will be used as wrappers for the humitas and the smaller ones will be broken into long strips to tie around the humitas.
- To help make the corn husks more pliable place them in a pot of boiling water for a couple of minutes, then drain the water and save the husks until ready to use.
- Remove the silky hairs from the corn and use a knife to cut the corn kernels from the cob, if you don’t have a steamer save the cobs to use as a steamer.
- Place the corn kernels, 1 cup of cheese, diced onions, crushed garlic, ground coriander, corn meal, cream, eggs, and salt in the food processor, mix until the corn is pureed.
HUMITA - WIKIPEDIA
ECUADORIAN FOOD: 11 TRADITIONAL DISHES YOU MUST TRY
20 ECUADORIAN DESSERTS AND SWEET TREATS - BACON IS MAGIC
ECUADORIAN FOOD - A COLLECTION OF ECUADORIAN RECIPES
ECUADORIAN RECIPES - LAYLITA'S RECIPES
HUMITAS RECIPE | LAS IGUANAS
HUMITA IN OLLA ARGENTINA - EPERSIANFOOD
14 ECUADORIAN FOODS TO DIE FOR - FLAVORVERSE
26 MOST POPULAR ECUADORIAN FOODS YOU CAN’T MISS IN 2022
TRADITIONAL ECUADORIAN FOOD: WE'RE EATING A HUMITA IN A PANADERIA
TRADITIONAL ECUADORIAN FOOD: 15 DISHES TO TRY - TRAVEL ADDICTS
HUMITAS ECUATORIANAS | FOOD, ECUADORIAN FOOD, HUMITAS RECIPE
MAKE HUMITAS STEAMED CORN TAMALES WITH THIS RECIPE
27 BEST ECUADORIAN RECIPES - COOKING CHEW
10 AUTHENTIC ECUADORIAN DISHES YOU NEED TO TRY
ECUADORIAN HUMITAS RECIPE | SAY MMM
HUMITAS OR STEAMED FRESH CORN CAKES RECIPE | FOOD, ECUADORIAN …
BEST BREAKFAST OPTIONS IN ECUADOR - CULTURE TRIP
HUMITA RECIPE ~ ECUADORIAN FOOD RECIPES
RECIPES FOR ECUADORIAN HUMITAS WITH GROCERY LISTS AND NUTRITIONAL ...
HUMITAS, ECUADORIAN-STYLE: PREPARING ‘LITTLE STEAMED THINGS’ YIELDS …
HUMITAS EN CHALA - AUTHENTIC ANDEAN RECIPE | 196 FLAVORS
BREAKFAST IN ECUADOR: BOLóN DE VERDE, HUMITAS, EMPANADAS DE VIENTO
HUMITAS ECUATORIANAS | HUNGRY SOFIA
HUMITA RECIPE BY COCINA
ECUADORIAN FOOD: 25 MUST-TRY DISHES IN QUITO - WILL FLY FOR FOOD
HOW TO MAKE HUMITA - HISPANIC MAMA
EASY ECUADORIAN RECIPES | OLIVEMAGAZINE
CHILEAN HUMITAS O TAMALES DE ELOTE - PILAR'S CHILEAN FOOD & GARDEN
ᐅ HOW TO MAKE【 ECUADORIAN CORN HUMITAS 】- RECETA LAND
46 PERFECT ECUADORIAN RECIPES IDEAS | RECIPES, ECUADORIAN FOOD, FOOD
CHILEAN HUMITAS RECIPE - PEPE'S CHILE
HUMITAS ECUATORIANAS | CORN TAMALES, HUMITAS RECIPE, ECUADORIAN …
HUMITAS | ECUADORIAN FOOD, PERUVIAN RECIPES, TAMALE RECIPE
ECUADORIAN HUMITAS - GLUTEN FREE RECIPES
ECUADORIAN HUMITAS - MISSISSIPPI MARKET CO-OP
ECUADORIAN FOOD: HUMITAS - VISIT ECUADOR AND SOUTH …
PERUVIAN HUMITAS RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
10 TRADITIONAL ECUADORIAN FOODS YOU NEED TO TRY - VIDA VERDE
HUMITA WIKI - EVERIPEDIA.ORG
HOW TO MAKE HUMITAS (STEAMED ECUADORIAN CORN CAKE RECIPE)
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do Ecuadoran Cook humitas?Ecuadoran cooks place a coin in the bottom of the pot before adding the steamer filled with humitas. The coin noisily vibrates on the bottom of the pot as the water simmers. The coin stops making noise when all the water has evaporated. This tells the cook that additional boiling water is needed.
What are humitas made of?Recipe for humitas or savory steamed fresh corn cakes made from a mixture of freshly ground corn, onion, garlic, cheese, eggs, and cream, which is placed inside corn husks and steamed.
How to cook humitas on the stove?Place any leftover husks on top and cover well. Place the pot on the stove over high heat until you hear the water boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 35-40 minutes, the cooked humitas will be slightly firm to firm when they are done. Serve warm with aji de tomate de arbol or tree tomato hot sauce.
How do you cook Humitas in corn husks?You'll love these buttery, cheesy cornmeal Ecuadorian Humitas prepared in corn husks. Remove green husks and silk from corn, being careful to keep husks whole. Discard silk. Place husks in large pot of boiling water and blanch 1 minute.