MY MOM'S LEMON MERINGUE PIE
This is my mother's lemon meringue pie recipe and it is one of my all time favorite desserts. You can add a bit more lemon zest if you want it to be more tart! Don't let pie cool before putting on meringue.
Provided by CollinW
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Press pie crust into a pie plate.
- Mix sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, lemon juice, and lemon zest together in a bowl; pour into pie crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Five minutes before pie is done, beat egg whites and cream of tartar together in a bowl using an electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Slowly add sugar to egg white mixture and continue beating until meringue forms stiff peaks, about 5 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven and increase temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread meringue onto warm pie, making sure meringue goes all the way to the edges creating a seal. Using the back of a spoon, dab the meringue and pull up, creating peaks across the pie.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature for 1 hour and store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 350.5 calories, Carbohydrate 51 g, Cholesterol 86.4 mg, Fat 13.6 g, Fiber 0.9 g, Protein 7.7 g, SaturatedFat 5.1 g, Sodium 205.6 mg, Sugar 39.7 g
THE BEST LEMON MERINGUE PIE
It's the stuff of dreams: a classic sweet and tart dessert with a foolproof meringue topping that won't weep! We use mostly butter in our from-scratch pie dough, but also add a little vegetable shortening as well - we found that this combination creates a crust that is both tender and flaky.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 8 to 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 18
- For the pie crust: Pulse the flour, shortening, sugar, salt and vinegar in a food processor until the mixture looks like damp sand, about 10 pulses. Add the butter and pulse until you can still see large pea-sized pieces. Sprinkle in 3 tablespoons ice water and pulse until the dough begins to come together. Pinch the dough; if it doesn't hold together, add up to 3 more tablespoons ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough holds together when pinched. Lay out a sheet of plastic wrap and dump the dough onto the plastic. Using the edges of the plastic, press the dough into a disc. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour and preferably overnight. (Freeze up to 2 months.)
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough out into a 13-inch round. Place in a 9-inch pie dish, gently pressing the dough into the edges and letting the excess dough drape over the sides. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Trim any excess dough with a paring knife and crimp the edges decoratively or press them down with the tines of a fork. Prick the dough on the bottom all over with a fork. Place a sheet of parchment paper inside the dough and fill with pie weights or uncooked rice or beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the parchment and weights and bake until the crust is deep golden brown on the edges and lightly golden in the center, 10 to 12 minutes more. Let the crust cool to room temperature.
- For the filling: Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Add the lemon juice and 1 1/2 cups water and whisk to combine. Whisk the egg yolks in a separate medium bowl. Place the sugar mixture over medium heat and cook, continuing to gently whisk, until the mixture begins to bubble and is extremely thick. Temper the eggs yolks by slowly adding half of the hot sugar mixture to the yolks while constantly whisking. Add the tempered yolks to the saucepan and return to the heat. Bring the mixture back to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and lemon zest until completely melted and incorporated. Pour the filling directly into the pie crust and cover with plastic wrap pressed directly against the surface of the filling (see Cook's Note). Refrigerate while you make the meringue.
- For the meringue: Add the egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment along with the sugar, cream of tartar and salt. Whisk together to combine. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Cook, whisking constantly, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture feels hot to the touch. Transfer the bowl to the mixer and add the vanilla. Whisk on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the pie and gently mound the meringue on top of the filling. Use an offset spatula to make sure the meringue completely covers the filling and meets the crust all around the edges. (This will seal in the filling and help prevent weeping.) Use the offset spatula to create swirls and peaks in the meringue. Toast the meringue using a kitchen torch or broil in the oven until golden brown, keeping an eye on the meringue if broiling, 1 to 2 minutes. Refrigerate the pie until the filling is completely cool and set, about 4 hours.
CLASSIC LEMON MERINGUE PIE
This is the one and only lemon meringue pie recipe you'll ever need. The flaky and tender from-scratch crust is worth the effort. -Lee Bremson, Kansas City, Missouri
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 20
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add 3 tablespoons cold water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. , Roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer crust to pie plate. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned., Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. , Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and lemon zest. Gradually stir in lemon juice just until combined. Pour into the crust., For meringue, in a saucepan, combine 2 tablespoons sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in cold water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is clear. Transfer to a bowl; cool., Beat egg whites and vanilla until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat in cornstarch mixture on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edge to crust., Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 444 calories, Fat 17g fat (5g saturated fat), Cholesterol 87mg cholesterol, Sodium 282mg sodium, Carbohydrate 68g carbohydrate (43g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 5g protein.
WORLD'S BEST LEMON MERINGUE PIE
I grew up amid the citrus groves of Southern California in the '50s. On summer afternoons we kids would take a nap in the lemon grove, sun warming us, bees buzzing overhead. This pie tastes like my dreams there!
Provided by Larkabug
Yield 1 pie
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt; blend in water.
- Stir, while bringing to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return to hot mixture.
- Bring to boiling and cook one minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add lemon peel and butter.
- Slowly stir in 1/3 cup lemon juice.
- Cool to lukewarm; pour into cooled pastry crust.
- Beat egg whites with 1 teaspoon lemon juice to soft peaks.
- Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, beating until stiff peaks form and ALL the sugar has dissolved (test with fingers).
- Spread over filling, SEALING to edges of pastry to avoid shrinking.
- Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees Fahrenheit) 12 to 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool pie thoroughly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 2998.7, Fat 95.4, SaturatedFat 33.9, Cholesterol 559.1, Sodium 1499.6, Carbohydrate 517, Fiber 7.4, Sugar 378.3, Protein 29.8
GRANDMA'S LEMON MERINGUE PIE
This is a very fun recipe to follow, because Grandma makes it sweet and simple. This pie is thickened with cornstarch and flour in addition to egg yolks, and contains no milk.
Provided by Emilie S.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
- To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 297.7 calories, Carbohydrate 49.7 g, Cholesterol 110.1 mg, Fat 10.3 g, Fiber 1.5 g, Protein 4.4 g, SaturatedFat 4.3 g, Sodium 229.2 mg, Sugar 35.2 g
LEMON MERINGUE PIE
- Make shell:
- On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin roll out dough into a 13-inch round, (about 1/8 inch thick) and fit into a 9-inch (1-quart) pie plate. Trim edge of dough, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang, and crimp edge decoratively. Prick shell in several places with a fork and chill, covered, 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line shell with wax paper and fill with rice or pie weights. Bake shell in middle of oven 10 minutes. Remove paper and rice carefully and bake shell until golden, about 12 minutes more. Cool shell in pie plate on a rack.
- Lower oven temperature to 350°F.
- Make filling:
- In a heavy saucepan whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt and gradually whisk in water and milk, whisking until cornstarch is dissolved. In a bowl whisk together egg yolks. Cook milk mixture over moderate heat, whisking, until it comes to a boil. Gradually whisk about 1 cup milk mixture into yolks and whisk yolk mixture into milk mixture. Simmer mixture, whisking, 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat and whisk in butter, lemon juice, and zest until butter is melted. Cover surface of filling with plastic wrap.
- Make meringue:
- In another bowl with an electric mixer beat egg whites with cream of tartar and a pinch of salt until they hold soft peaks. Beat in sugar in a slow stream, beating until meringue just holds stiff peaks.
- Pour filling into shell and spread meringue on top, covering filling completely, sealing it to pastry. Draw meringue up into peaks and bake pie in middle of oven until meringue is golden, about 15 minutes.
VERY LEMONY MERINGUE PIE
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks. Return to pan. Stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Add lemon juice and butter. Stir until butter is melted and mixture is blended. Pour into baked pastry shell.
- MERINGUE: In a saucepan, combine cornstarch, and water until smooth, Cook and stir on medium until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and salt until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time on medium speed until peaks form. Gradually beat in cornstarch mixture 1 tablespoon at a time on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot filling.
- Bake at 325F for 18-20 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 294.1, Fat 10.7, SaturatedFat 4.1, Cholesterol 65.8, Sodium 153.4, Carbohydrate 47.8, Fiber 0.8, Sugar 33.3, Protein 3.1
LEMON MERINGUE PIE III
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, salt, and 1 1/2 cups water in a heavy saucepan. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and 1/3 cup water to make a smooth paste. Gradually whisk into boiling sugar mixture. Boil mixture until thick and clear, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks and lemon juice. Gradually whisk egg yolk mixture into hot sugar mixture. Return pan to heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in grated lemon rind and butter or margarine. Place mixture in refrigerator and cool until just lukewarm.
- In a large glass or metal bowl, combine egg whites and salt. Whip until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar while continuing to whip. Beat until whites form stiff peaks. Stir about 3/4 cup of meringue into lukewarm filling. Spoon filling into baked pastry shell. Cover pie with remaining meringue.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, until meringue is slightly brown. Cool on a rack at for at least 1 hour before cutting.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 382.9 calories, Carbohydrate 66.7 g, Cholesterol 104.4 mg, Fat 12 g, Fiber 0.3 g, Protein 4 g, SaturatedFat 5.2 g, Sodium 386.5 mg, Sugar 51.2 g
LEMON MERINGUE PIE
This adaptation of Alice Waters's lemon meringue pie came to the Times in a 1987 article in the Sunday magazine. It takes a little time, but your efforts will be rewarded with a spectacular centerpiece dessert to be proud of: a cloud of toasted meringue atop a pool of buttery and bright lemon curd in a light and flaky crust. If you can't find Meyer lemons, regular supermarket lemons will make a worthy substitute.
Provided by ALICE WATERS
Yield One 9-inch pie
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Prepare the shell. Roll the pastry into a 12-inch circle, 1/8-inch thick, and fit gently into the pan. Tri the edge a half-inch beyond the rim, fold under and crimp or pinch to make a decorative edge. Prick the bottom with a fork. Freeze the shell for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Prepare the filling. Grate the zest from the lemons into a small, noncorrodable bowl. Strain in the lemon juice, then press through as much lemon pulp as possible.
- In a heavy, noncorrodable saucepan, beat the eggs, yolks and sugar until just mixed. Stir in the lemon juice and pulp, then the six tablespoons of butter.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over low to medium heat, until the mixture comes together and thickens enough to coat a spoon. Remove from heat, allow to stand five minutes, then whisk briefly to smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line the frozen shell with aluminum foil, weight with beans or pie weights and bake for 20 minutes, or until set and dry looking. Remove the weights and foil, turn the heat down to 350 and continue baking until shell is golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool slightly, but leave the oven on.
- Spread the prepared filling in the shell and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the filling is just set. Remove pie and turn oven to 375.
- Make the meringue. Beat the egg whites until frothy, add the cream of tartar and continue beating until rounded peaks form. Beat in sugar and vanilla.
- Spread the meringue over the filling, making sure it meets the edges of the crust to make a seal. Swirl in a design with a knife or spatula and bake for about 10 minutes, or until the meringue is lightly browned.
- Allow to cool completely, from one to two hours, but do not refrigerate.
THE ULTIMATE LEMON MERINGUE PIE
I made this pie this weekend. It's adapted from The Perfect Recipe cookbook by Pam Anderson. Wow, we agreed it was the best lemon meringue pie recipe we'd ever had. The filling is very lemony sweet/tart and fluffy. The meringue is tall and fluffy/light. Prep times are estimated. It takes a little time, but is well worth it. Lemon meringue pie was first invented in Philadelphia. This recipe represents the Mid-Atlantic U.S. region.
Provided by PanNan
Yield 1 pie, 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 21
- Make pie shell: Mix flour, sugar and salt in a food processor, by pulsing a few times.
- Scatter the frozen butter pieces over flour mixture.
- Pulse in 1-second pulses about 5 times to mix in butter.
- Add frozen shortening; pulsing in 1-second pulses until mixture resembles cornmeal with pieces about the size of peas.
- Slowly add ice water through the processor feed tube, with motor running, one tbsp at a time.
- When dough forms a ball, stop processing.
- It should take about 2 or 3 tbsp of ice water to reach this stage.
- Shape dough into a ball in your flour coated hands, and then flatten into a 4 inch wide disk.
- Flour disk and wrap in plastic.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Generously coat your work surface or pastry sheet with a little flour and about 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs.
- Place dough on floured surface, coat with some flour and graham cracker crumbs, and roll into a 9-inch disk.
- Lift, coat surface with more graham and flour, turn dough, add more graham and flour on top, and roll out to a 13 inch disk.
- Place into a 9 inch pie pan, and finish edges.
- Refrigerate crust until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Prick dough with a fork to prevent bubbling up in the oven.
- While the oven is pre-heating to 375, put pie crust in freezer.
- Bake at 375 for 20- 25 minutes, checking occasionally to make sure it's browning evenly and not bubbling up.
- Lemon Filling: Whisk sugar, cornstarch, and salt together in a large, nonreactive saucepan.
- Add egg yolks, then immediately but gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups water.
- Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat, whisking regularly, 8- 10 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove from heat, whisk in zest, then juice, and finally butter.
- Keep warm until meringue is made.
- Meringue topping: Mix cornstarch and 1/3 cup water in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally until thickened.
- Remove from heat when translucent and thickened.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix cream of tartar and sugar together.
- Beat egg whites with whip attachment of mixer until frothy. Add vanilla.
- Beat in sugar mixture, 1 tbsp at a time.
- Then drop in cornstarch mixture, 1 tbsp at a time until stiff peaks form.
- Pour warm lemon filling into pie crust.
- Distribute meringue evenly over the top, starting with the edges, and then the middle.
- Make sure it attaches to the crust.
- Lifting with the back of the spoon, create peaks in the meringue.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Cool completely before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 476.3, Fat 22.1, SaturatedFat 10.5, Cholesterol 168.9, Sodium 245.1, Carbohydrate 64.4, Fiber 0.8, Sugar 41.3, Protein 6.4
More about "extra lemony meringue pie recipes"
LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE - TODAY.COM
3.6/5 (39)Category DessertsAuthor Ryan ScottTotal Time 1 hr
- 1. In a large bowl combine dry ingredients, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut butter into tiny chunks about the size of a pea, then add to dry mix.
- 2. In a glass measuring cup, whisk water, sour cream and vinegar. Once whisked, add to flour mixture all at once. Quickly mix in liquids with flour mix.
LEMON MERINGUE PIE - ONCE UPON A CHEF
LEMON MERINGUE PIE - SIMPLY DELICIOUS
BEST LEMON MERINGUE PIE | WHAT'S COOKIN' ITALIAN STYLE …
LEMON MERINGUE PIE - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
CLASSIC LEMON MERINGUE PIE - SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
CLASSIC LEMON MERINGUE PIE | RICARDO
BEST-EVER LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
EASY LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE - THE RECIPE REBEL
ZESTY LEMON MERINGUE PIE - JULES OF THE KITCHEN
ANNA OLSON’S LEMON MERINGUE PIE - FOOD NETWORK CANADA
MAGICAL TRANSPARENT LEMON MERINGUE PIE | 12 TOMATOES
EXTRA-LEMONY MERINGUE PIE RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
EXTRA-LEMONY MERINGUE PIE RECIPE | RECIPE IN 2022 | MERINGUE PIE ...
FLUFFY LEMON MERINGUE PIE | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
EXTRA-LEMONY MERINGUE PIE RECIPE - NYT COOKING
LEMON MERINGUE PIE - SPEND WITH PENNIES
LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
LEMON MERINGUE PIE DESSERT | FAVORITE FAMILY RECIPES
BIG BEAUTIFUL LEMON MERINGUE PIE | KITCHEN FRAU
LEMON MERINGUE PIE - JUST LIKE GRANDMA'S - THE DELICIOUS SPOON
THE BEST LEMON MERINGUE PIE | MELISSA CLARK | NYT COOKING
LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE FROM SCRATCH | ALTON BROWN
TART LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
EXTRA TANGY LEMON MERINGUE PIE - RECIPES - ABC RADIO
LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
FEATURED RECIPE: LEMON MERINGUE PIE WITH EXTRA FLAKY LARD
LEMON MERINGUE PIE + 21 DELICIOUS PIE RECIPES - THE BAKER UPSTAIRS
LEMON MERINGUE PIE - COMFORTABLE FOOD
EXTRA-LEMONY MERINGUE PIE RECIPE | RECIPE IN 2022 | MERINGUE PIE ...
LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
LEMON MERINGUE PIE - CULINARY HILL
LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE ... BEST PIE EVER - MYFOODCHANNEL
THE BEST LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE | EASY & FOOL PROOF
PERFECT LEMON MERINGUE PIE: RELOADED RECIPE | ALTON BROWN
LEMON MERINGUE PIE - EVERYDAY PIE
THE BEST LEMON MERINGUE PIE CLASSIC RECIPE - CRAFTING A FAMILY
You'll also love