Tender fall apart chunks of beef simmered in a rich red wine gravy makes Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon an incredible family dinner. Slow Cooker, Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker, Stove Top and the traditional Oven method included! Easy to make, every step is worth it.
Provided by Karina
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or heavy based pot. Sauté the bacon over medium heat for about 3 minutes, until crisp and browned. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a large dish and set aside.
- Pat dry beef with paper towel; sear in batches in the hot oil/bacon fat until browned on all sides. Remove to the dish with the bacon.
- In the remaining oil/bacon fat, sauté the carrots and diced onions until softened, (about 3 minutes), then add 4 cloves minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Drain excess fat (leave about 1 tablespoon in the pan) and return the bacon and beef back into the pot; season with 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper. Sprinkle with flour, toss well and cook for 4-5 minutes to brown.
- Add the pearl onions, wine and enough stock so that the meat is barely covered. Then add the tomato paste, bullion and herbs. Bring to a simmer on the stove.
- Cover, transfer to lower part of the oven and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, or until the meat is fall apart tender (adjust the heat so that the liquid simmers very slowly).
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking time, prepare your mushrooms:Heat the butter in a medium-sized skillet/pan over heat. When the foam subsides, add the remaining 2 cloves garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds), then add in the mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes, while shaking the pan occasionally to coat with the butter. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Once they are browned, set aside.
- Place a colander over a large pot (I do this in my clean kitchen sink). Remove the casserole from the oven and carefully empty its contents into the colander (you want to collect the sauce only). Discard the herbs
- Return the beef mixture back into the dutch oven or pot. Add the mushrooms over the meat.
- Remove any fat off the sauce( if any) and simmer for a minute or two, skimming off any additional fat which rises to the surface.
- You should be left with about 2 1/2 cups of sauce thick enough to coat the back of a spoon lightly. If the sauce is too thick, add a few tablespoons of stock. If the sauce is too thin, boil it over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until reduced to the right consistency.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust salt and pepper, if desired. Pour the sauce over the meat and vegetables.
- If you are serving immediately, simmer the beef bourguignon for 2 to 3 minutes to heat through.Garnish with parsley and serve with mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.
- To serve the following day, allow the casserole to cool completely, cover and refrigerate.The day of serving, remove from refrigerator for at least an hour before reheating. Place over medium-low heat and let simmer gently for about 10 minutes, basting the meat and vegetables with the sauce.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 673 kcal, Carbohydrate 17 g, Protein 56 g, Fat 32 g, SaturatedFat 11 g, Cholesterol 169 mg, Sodium 620 mg, Fiber 2 g, Sugar 7 g, ServingSize 1 serving
EASY BEEF BOURGUIGNON
Beef bourguignon can be cooked a few different ways. I used to cook mine the traditional way - in the oven for several hours but the recipe was somewhat high maintenance. Over the years, I tried modifying my recipe so I could use my crock-pot without losing any of that beef bourguignon flavor. This is what I ended up with and the meat is so tender and so delicious you may never use your oven again!
Provided by Casey.Company
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- cook bacon in fry-pan, remove and drain most of the grease out of the pan. While bacon is cooking, prep your onion and carrots and set aside.
- 2. add beef cubes to same pan used for bacon and brown well. Placed browned beef cubes in crock-pot that has been coated with cooking spray.
- 3. add chopped cooked bacon, thyme, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaf, and pearl onions to crock-pot on top of beef (no need to stir). Brown carrot, and cubed onion in same pan as meat and season with 1 teaspoons salt and pepper and add to crock-pot.
- 4. cook mushrooms and 1 tsp salt in same pan (use cooking spray if needed). Stir in flour (or corn starch). Add broth, mix well until you get a thick mushroom gravy and add as top layer in crock-pot. Cover and cook on low 7 hours.
- 5. add wine about an hour before serving (at 6 hours of cooking in crock-pot) and stir. Continue cooking. Serve alone with crusty bread or with noodles.
- tip for thicker gravy: in a small pot, mix 1 tbsp corn starch with 2 tbsp water (1 tbsp butter optional) add to crock pot, stir well and cover on high for 10 minutes.
BEEF BOURGUIGNON I
- For marinade: In a large bowl, combine the wine, cognac, onions, carrots, parsley, bay leaf, garlic, peppercorns and salt. Mix well and add the cubed beef. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- For Bourguignon: Strain the meat from the vegetables and marinade; reserve marinade. Dry meat with paper towels. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the meat and saute for 10 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Transfer meat to a separate medium bowl with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the bacon and saute until lightly browned. Transfer the bacon to the bowl with the meat. Drain the skillet and return it to the heat. Pour a cup of marinade into the skillet to deglaze the skillet, scraping the bottom to loosen up all the little bits. Return this liquid to the reserved marinade.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet. Add the onion and carrot from the marinade, along with the additional onion that you've chopped, and saute for 5 minutes, or until tender. Transfer this mixture to the bowl with the meat and bacon, again using a slotted spoon, and return skillet to the heat. Add the flour to the skillet, combining with the oil and stir until well mixed and brown, about 2 minutes.
- Now add the tomato paste, garlic, beef broth, reserved marinade and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and whisk to remove any flour lumps. Add this to the meat and vegetable mixture. Place entire mixture into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 3 hours, stirring occasionally and adding water as needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- About 15 minutes before meat is done baking, melt butter in the skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. When meat is done, add the mushrooms to the meat mixture, stir well and let sit for about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 458.3 calories, Carbohydrate 14.1 g, Cholesterol 72 mg, Fat 28.9 g, Fiber 2.6 g, Protein 19.9 g, SaturatedFat 10.6 g, Sodium 638 mg, Sugar 5.7 g
The secret to this super-rich beef casserole is to use all wine and no stock. Our ultimate beef bourguignon recipe is an instant comforting classic, full of satisfying flavours.
Provided by Barney Desmazery
Categories Dinner, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Tip 1.6kg braising steak, cut into large chunks, into a large bowl with 3 bay leaves, a small bunch of thyme, 2 bottles cheap red wine and some pepper, then cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Place a colander over another large bowl and strain the marinated meat, keeping the wine.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan, then brown the meat in batches, transferring to a plate once browned. When all the meat is browned, pour a little wine into the now-empty frying pan and bubble to release any caramelised bits from the pan.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large casserole and fry 3 large or 6 normal carrots, cut into large chunks, and 2 roughly chopped onions until they start to colour. Stir in 3 tbsp plain flour for 1 min, then add 1 tbsp tomato purée.
- Add the beef and any juices, the wine from the frying pan and the rest of the wine and herbs. Season and bring to a simmer. Give everything a good stir, then cover.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 2 hrs until the meat is really tender. Cool. Will freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, defrost completely overnight in the fridge if frozen, then place on a low heat to warm through.
- Meanwhile, heat a small knob of butter in a frying pan and add 300g bacon lardons and 500g peeled pearl onions or small shallots. Sizzle for about 10 mins until the bacon starts to crisp and the onions soften and colour.
- Add 400g halved mushrooms and fry for another 5 mins, then stir everything into the stew and heat for 10 mins more. Serve scattered with chopped parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 767 calories, Fat 39 grams fat, SaturatedFat 16 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 16 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 11 grams sugar, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 67 grams protein, Sodium 2.09 milligram of sodium
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Cook and stir beef in the same skillet until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Sprinkle flour, marjoram, thyme, and pepper over beef. Pour red wine and beef broth into the skillet; stir well. Reduce heat to low and simmer until beef is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Stir onions into the skillet. Add mushrooms. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and sauce is thick and dark brown, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 350.2 calories, Carbohydrate 16.2 g, Cholesterol 57.7 mg, Fat 20.7 g, Fiber 2.8 g, Protein 19.7 g, SaturatedFat 6.5 g, Sodium 97.3 mg, Sugar 6.7 g
FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON
- With a sharp knife, cut the filet crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices. Salt and pepper the filets on both sides. In a large, heavy-bottomed pan on medium-high heat, sauté the slices of beef in batches with 2 to 3 tablespoons oil until browned on the outside and very rare inside, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove the filets from the pan and set aside on a platter.
- In the same pan, sauté the bacon on medium-low heat for 5 minutes, until browned and crisp. Remove the bacon and set it aside. Drain all the fat, except 2 tablespoons, from the pan. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine and cook on high heat for 1 minute, scraping the bottom of the pan. Add the beef stock, tomato paste, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered on medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Strain the sauce and return it to the pan. Add the onions and carrots and simmer uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes, until the sauce is reduced and the vegetables are cooked.
- With a fork mash 2 tablespoons butter and the flour into a paste and whisk it gently into the sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, sauté the mushrooms separately in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil for about 10 minutes, until browned and tender.
- Add the filet of beef slices, the mushrooms, and the bacon to the pan with the vegetables and sauce. Cover and reheat gently for 5 to 10 minutes. Do not overcook. Season to taste and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1003.3, Fat 77.7, SaturatedFat 29.3, Cholesterol 187.4, Sodium 974.1, Carbohydrate 17.4, Fiber 3.4, Sugar 6.7, Protein 46.6
This stovetop stew is loaded with taste, but is easy to do. While the name sounds fancy, even a beginning cook can master it. It's our traditional holy day meal.-Elodie Rosinovsky, Brighton, Massachusetts
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving drippings. Brown stew meat in drippings in batches. Remove and keep warm., In the same pan, saute onion and carrot until crisp-tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add wine and broth; stir in bay leaves, tomato paste, thyme, pepper, bacon and beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours., In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside. Stir into stew; cook 30 minutes longer., Add mushrooms; cook 30-40 minutes or until beef is tender. Skim fat and discard bay leaves. Stir in chocolate until melted. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 349 calories, Fat 17g fat (6g saturated fat), Cholesterol 81mg cholesterol, Sodium 334mg sodium, Carbohydrate 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 26g protein.
More about "filet of beef bourguignon recipes"
BEEF BOURGUIGNON | RICARDO
FILLET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON RECIPE - RECIPETIPS.COM
BEST EVER BEEF BOURGUIGNON | THE RECIPE CRITIC
BEEF BOURGUIGNON RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
TERMS AND CONDITIONS – FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON RECIPES
FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON – RECIPES NETWORK
FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON | RECIPE - PINTEREST.COM
BEEF BOURGUIGNON RECIPE - HEALTHY RECIPES 101
BEEF WELLINGTON RECIPE WITHOUT MUSHROOMS RECIPE
FILET OF BEEF RECIPE | INA GARTEN | FOOD NETWORK
FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON | SEARCHING4ZEN
THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA'S FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON
THE 3-DAY (BUT SO WORTH IT!) BEEF BOURGUIGNON RECIPE
30 MINUTE BEEF BOURGUIGNON - A BEAUTIFUL PLATE
FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON RECIPES - HOME | FACEBOOK
FILLET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON WITH RED WINE - FOOD NETWORK
30-MINUTE FILET BOURGUIGNONNE WITH MASHED POTATOES RECIPE
BEEF FILET RECIPES RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON RECIPE | INA GARTEN | FOOD NETWORK
DECONSTRUCTED FILLET STEAK BOURGUIGNON RECIPE | TASTE OF FRANCE
FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON RECIPES
FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON | RECIPE - PINTEREST.COM.AU
FILLET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON - BIGOVEN.COM
FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON RECIPES - POSTS | FACEBOOK
BEEF BOURGUIGNON FOR TWO - WHAT THE "FORKS" FOR DINNER
FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON | RECIPE | BEEF BOURGUIGNON, FOOD …
FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON | RECIPE | BEEF FILET, BEEF BOURGUIGNON, …
FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON | RECIPE | BEEF BOURGUIGNON, BEEF FILET, …
RECIPE | FILLET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON STYLE | NATALIE MACLEAN
FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON - SIDRA COOKS
FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON RECIPE - FOOD.COM
FILET OF BEEF BOURGUIGNON RECIPES - HOME | FACEBOOK
You'll also love