FRIED CALAMARI WITH SWEET ORANGE SAUCE
- For the sweet orange sauce: Combine the orange juice and honey in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat slightly and cook at a very brisk simmer until the mixture is syrupy and reduced to a little less than 1/2 cup, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat. Let cool slightly, then whisk in the oil, lemon juice, parsley and crushed red pepper. Transfer to a ramekin or small bowl.
- For the fried calamari: Fill a large, wide pot with 1 1/2 inches oil and heat over medium-high heat until it registers 350 degrees F on a deep-frying thermometer. Line a tray with paper towels. Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, paprika, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a wide, shallow bowl.
- Toss the squid and chiles with the flour mixture, making sure all the squid rings are separated and everything is thoroughly coated. Transfer about a third of the squid and chile mixture to a kitchen spider or slotted spoon and shake to remove the excess flour. Carefully add the squid and chiles to the hot oil and fry until crisp and just barely golden, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer to the prepared tray with a slotted spoon and sprinkle generously with salt. Repeat the sifting and frying process with the remaining squid, making sure to return the oil to 350 degrees F between batches.
- Transfer to the fried squid to a plate and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve with the lemon and orange wedges and the sweet orange sauce for dipping.
FIVE-SPICE CALAMARI WITH DIPPING SAUCE
- For dipping sauce:
- Combine all ingredients except mayonnaise in processor. Blend well. Transfer to bowl. Stir in mayonnaise. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Whisk before serving.)
- For calamari:
- Pour oil to depth of 3 inches in heavy large pot. Heat to 350°F. Whisk next 4 ingredients in large bowl to blend. Pour buttermilk into another large bowl. Add calamari to buttermilk. Working in batches, remove calamari; dredge in flour mixture. Fry until just crisp, about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Serve warm with sauce.
- *Available in the Asian foods section of many supermarkets.
- **A blend of ground anise, cinnamon, star anise, cloves and ginger available in the spice section of most supermarkets.
CRISP FIVE-SPICE CALAMARI WITH SPICY CITRUS NOODLES
- For the noodles and dressing: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Put the noodles in a large bowl and pour boiling water over them to cover. Let stand for 4 minutes, and then drain in a colander, rinse with cold water, shake well, and transfer to a bowl. Drizzle the oil on top, toss well to coat, and set aside.
- Stir together the chili sauce, ginger, honey, sugar, grapefruit juice and lemon juice until well combined. Stir in the chiles and set aside.
- For the calamari: Stir together the five-spice powder, salt and white pepper in a small bowl and set aside. Whisk together the potato starch and yolks in a medium bowl. If the batter is too thick to pour from a spoon, add water a few teaspoons at a time until thinned.
- Pour the oil into a wok and warm to 350 degrees F over high heat (a cube of bread will turn golden and float to the surface within 10 to 15 seconds when ready). Dip the calamari rings into the batter using a slotted spoon and stir until well coated. Shake off the excess batter and carefully lower into the hot oil. Fry, stirring frequently with a strainer, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer the calamari to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain and sprinkle the spice mix over while hot.
- To serve, divide the noodles among 4 shallow bowls. Drizzle two-thirds of the dressing evenly over the noodles, top each with calamari, and then drizzle the remaining dressing on top. Mix together the Thai basil, cilantro and mint stems, divide into 4 bundles and garnish each bowl with 1 herb bundle and lime wedges, for squeezing at the table.
CALAMARI WITH TOMATO SAUCE
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and cook until lightly brown. Stir in tomato puree, water, red wine, salt, sugar and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add linguine and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Stir calamari into the tomato puree mixture. Continue to simmer approximately 15 minutes, until squid is opaque. Check frequently to avoid overcooking squid. Serve squid and sauce over cooked linguine.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 483.1 calories, Carbohydrate 55.8 g, Cholesterol 375.6 mg, Fat 12.8 g, Fiber 3.8 g, Protein 34.3 g, SaturatedFat 2.4 g, Sodium 803.6 mg, Sugar 7.2 g
More about "five spice calamari with dipping sauce recipes"
CALAMARI DIPPING SAUCE RECIPES : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
YOUR BEST CALAMARI DIPPING SAUCE RECIPE! - JUST LABRADORS
CALAMARI DIPPING SAUCE AIOLI RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
EASY THAI STYLE FRIED CALAMARI RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
FIVE-SPICE CALAMARI WITH DIPPING SAUCE | RECIPE | DIPPING SAUCE ...
FRIED CALAMARI WITH SPICY MARINARA SAUCE - THE COZY APRON
CRISPY CALAMARI WITH SPICY DIPPING SAUCE RECIPE APPETIZERS
CRISPY CALAMARI WITH SPICY DIPPING SAUCE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
FIVE-SPICE CALAMARI WITH DIPPING SAUCE RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
CRISP FIVE-SPICE CALAMARI WITH SPICY CITRUS NOODLES : RECIPES : …
10 BEST SPICY CALAMARI RECIPES | YUMMLY
CRISPY CALAMARI WITH SPICY DIPPING SAUCE - ASIAN CAUCASIAN FOOD …
WHAT ARE SOME DIPPING SAUCES FOR FRIED CALAMARI? - QUORA
FIVE SPICE CALAMARI WITH WASABI MAYO - THE MEATMEN
FIVE SPICE SALT CALAMARI - 9KITCHEN
SPICY CRISPY FRIED CALAMARES WITH 3 DIFFERENT DIPS - FOXY FOLKSY
10 BEST CALAMARI DIPPING SAUCE RECIPES - YUMMLY
FIVE-SPICE CALAMARI | HOMEMADE CALAMARI RECIPES | SBS FOOD
EASY FRIED CALAMARI WITH SPICY MARINARA SAUCE - THE MIGONI KITCHEN
FIVE SPICE CALAMARI WITH DIPPING SAUCE RECIPE - COOKEATSHARE
FRIED CALAMARI (EXTRA CRISPY WITH DIPPING SAUCE!) - RASA MALAYSIA
CRISPY FIVE-FRAGRANCE CALAMARI & DIPPING SAUCE - WILLIAMS …
FRIED CALAMARI WITH CREAMY CHIPOTLE SAUCE
FIVE SPICE CALAMARI WITH WASABI MAYO - THE MEATMEN
CALAMARI DIPPING SAUCE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
CRISPY CALAMARI WITH SPICY DIPPING SAUCE - PLAIN.RECIPES
ASIAN FRIED CALAMARI RECIPE - EAT THE LOVE
CALAMARI DIPPING SAUCES - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
FRIED CALAMARI WITH RED SAUCE RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
TOP 50 FIVE SPICE CALAMARI WITH DIPPING SAUCE
FIVE SPICE CALAMARI - 9KITCHEN - NINE
FIVE SPICE CALAMARI WITH DIPPING SAUCE BEST RECIPES
CALAMARI DIPPING SAUCE RECIPES - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
DIPPING SAUCE FOR CALAMARI RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
FIVE-SPICE CALAMARI WITH DIPPING SAUCE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make five spice Calamari?"The five-spice calamari was out of this world." Combine all ingredients except mayonnaise in processor. Blend well. Transfer to bowl. Stir in mayonnaise. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Whisk before serving.)
How do you make calamari sauce?Using a slotted spoon remove cooked calamari from oil and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil. Simply combine and mix all together in a bowl. 1 tablespoon olive oil. ½ teaspoon dried basil. ½ teaspoon dried oregano. ¼ teaspoon salt. Saute garlic in oil until limp and aromatic. Add diced tomato, dried basil and oregano.
Where can I find five-spice Calamari in the supermarket?*Available in the Asian foods section of many supermarkets. **A blend of ground anise, cinnamon, star anise, cloves and ginger available in the spice section of most supermarkets. How would you rate Five-Spice Calamari with Dipping Sauce?
What do you put on Calamari before cooking?Sprinkle with more salt and pepper. Keep warm in the oven until ready to serve. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and squeeze of lemons. To make the Dipping Sauce: Combine together the mayonnaise, sambal oelek, and chili sauce. Serve along side the calamari.