REAL FLORIDA KEY LIME PIE
Classic Florida Key lime pie has a graham cracker crust and a filling of sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, and freshly squeezed lime juice.
Provided by Lynne Webb
Categories Baking & Desserts
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the graham crackers in a large zip-top bag and crush to fine crumbs with a rolling pin.
- Transfer to a small mixing bowl, add the sugar, and pour in the butter. Combine with a fork and transfer to a 9-inch pie plate.
- Use your fingers to press the crumbs evenly across the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.
- Bake until golden, about 7 minutes, remove and reduce the temperature to 350°F. Set the crust aside to cool for 10 to 12 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and lime juice until smooth and starting to thicken.
- Pour the mixture into the partially cooled crust and bake until the custard is set but still a little jiggly, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Allow the pie to cool completely on a wire rack, then refrigerate for at least 90 minutes before serving.
- Serve topped with a little freshly whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 1 serving, Calories 249 kcal, Carbohydrate 24 g, Protein 6 g, Fat 15 g, SaturatedFat 7 g, Cholesterol 164 mg, Sodium 217 mg, Fiber 1 g, Sugar 11 g, UnsaturatedFat 6 g
FLORIDA LIME PIE
Jane Nickerson was the food editor of The New York Times from 1942 until 1957, when she moved with her family to Lakeland, Fla. There, she eventually became food editor of The Ledger, in Lakeland, then owned by The Times. Her successor in New York was Craig Claiborne, whose star eclipsed hers for, among other things, systemic reasons we wrestle with still. But Ms. Nickerson was a hugely influential force in American home cooking, introducing ingredients and recipes from chefs and home cooks to a nation that met her first on a wartime footing and grew to find itself on a prosperous one. In Florida, she embraced local ingredients and foodways, and in 1973 published "Jane Nickerson's Florida Cookbook," an invaluable guide to the state's appetizing abundance. Her lime pie is a little richer than the more well-known Key lime pie. I like that about it.
Provided by Sam Sifton
Categories pies and tarts, dessert
Yield 1 (9-inch) pie
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Prepare the crust: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Toss in the butter cubes serially, to keep them separate while coating them evenly in flour. Using a fork, cut the butter into the flour, continuing to toss them as you do, until they're roughly the size of peas.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons ice water over the flour-and-butter mixture. Using your fork, toss to incorporate, then continue to add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough begins to come together as you stir it. Using your hands, fold the dough over itself a few times, adding just enough water so that it holds together.
- Form the dough into a disk about 1-inch thick, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to a couple of days.
- When you're ready to make the pie, first prepare the pie shell: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until it is roughly 12 inches in diameter, then fit it into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim and crimp edges, then, using the tines of a fork, pierce the bottom crust 8 to 12 times. Line dough with a sheet of parchment paper, and spread evenly with pie weights. Place the pie crust on a baking sheet, and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the edges are set. You want it slightly underdone. Carefully remove the pie weights and parchment, and let cool completely on a rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Make the filling: In a large bowl, use a whisk to beat the egg yolks until they are thick, then gradually beat in the condensed milk, then the lime juice. Stir in 1 tablespoon lime zest.
- In a medium bowl, use a whisk to beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then fold them gently into the condensed-milk mixture. Pour into the cooled pie shell.
- Place the pie back on the sheet pan and bake until the filling is just set in the center, about 20 minutes. It need not be completely firm because the filling thickens as it cools.
- Cool the pie on a rack, then refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours. Serve topped with whipped cream and about 1 teaspoon grated lime zest.
AUTHENTIC FLORIDA KEY LIME PIE
You can't beat this tasty, quintessential dessert: Authentic Florida's Key Lime Pie.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Break up the graham crackers; place in a food processor and process the crumbs. If you don't have a food processor, place the crackers in a large plastic bag; seal and crush the crackers with a rolling pin. Add the melted butter and sugar and pulse or stir until combined.
- Press the mixture into the bottom and side of a pie pan, forming a neat border around the edge. Lightly form a border up the sides. Bake the crust at 350 degrees until set and golden for 8 minutes. Set aside on a wire rack, let cool. Leave the oven on.
- For the filling, using a rasp or grater, grate 2 teaspoons of the lime skin. Then, using a hand press, squeeze 2/3 cups of key lime juice by cutting each lime in half and placing it in press (they are usually too small for a juicer).
- Next, separate the egg yolks from the whites. Set aside the egg whites for the meringue if you want to use them later. Have your sweetened condensed milk opened, your juice finished and your zest ready for the next step.
- In an electric mixer with the wire whisk attachment, beat the 4 egg yolks and 2 teaspoons of lime zest at high speed until very fluffy, about 5 minutes. Gradually add the can of condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3 or 4 minutes longer. Lower the mixer speed and slowly add the 2/3 cup of lime juice, mixing just until combined, no longer. Pour the mixture into the crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, or until the filling has just set. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the topping, with a mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar until forming stiff peaks.
- Spread over filling and seal to edge of crust. Bake at 400 degrees for 5-8 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Note: Watch the oven and don't take your eyes off the meringue, it could brown quickly. Place in the refrigerator and let it chill for 2-3 hours.
FLORIDA KEY LIME PIE
- To Make Lime Filling: In a large mixing bowl, whip cream cheese until fluffy. Add condensed milk, lime juice, lime rind, and salt. Whip until mixture is smooth. Pour into graham cracker crust. Cover with plastic wrap and chill thoroughly.
- To Make Topping: In a medium bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Add vanilla or lemon extract and confectioners' sugar. Continue to whip until cream forms stiff peaks. Place topping in a fine-mesh sieve and place sieve over a bowl to catch liquid that drains off. Cover topping tightly with plastic wrap and allow to drain for 2 hours.
- Before serving, discard liquid that has drained from topping. Spread topping over pie.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 921.2 calories, Carbohydrate 107.6 g, Cholesterol 119.9 mg, Fat 43.3 g, Fiber 0.6 g, Protein 16.7 g, SaturatedFat 24.2 g, Sodium 561.2 mg, Sugar 95.7 g
" OLD KEY LIME HOUSE " PIE
This key lime pie recipe is from the "Old Key Lime House" in Lantana, Florida. It is the oldest waterfront restaurant in Florida. Prep time does not include chill time.
Provided by Alan in SW Florida
Yield 1 pie, 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- FOR CRUST: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl to blend. Add the melted butter and stir to coat well. Press crust into a 9-inch diameter glass pie dish. Bake 5 minutes. Cool.
- FOR FILLING: Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Whisk all filling ingredients in a large bowl until smooth. Pour mixture into cooled crust. Bake until center is set, about 25 minutes. Refrigerate, uncovered, until cold. Then cover and chill at least 6 hours or overnight.
- FOR TOPPING: using electric mixer, beat all topping ingredients in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. Spread atop pie and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 533, Fat 32.8, SaturatedFat 19.3, Cholesterol 179.6, Sodium 325.4, Carbohydrate 55.3, Fiber 0.6, Sugar 44.9, Protein 7.1
- Getting Ready: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put the pie plate on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Put the cream and 1 cup of the coconut in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring almost constantly. Continue to cook and stir until the cream is reduced by half and the mixture is slightly thickened. Scrape the coconut cream into a bowl and set it aside while you prepare the lime filling.
- Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the egg yolks on high speed until thick and pale. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the condensed milk. Still on low, add half of the lime juice. When it is incorporated, add the remaining juice, again mixing until it is blended. Spread the coconut cream in the bottom of the graham cracker crust, and pour over the lime filling.
- Bake the pie for 12 minutes. Transfer the pie to a cooling rack and cool for 15 minutes, then freeze the pie for at least 1 hour.
- To finish the pie with meringue: Preheat the broiler. Put the 4 egg whites and the sugar in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan and heat over medium-low heat, whisking all the while, until the whites are hot to the touch. Transfer the whites to a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or use a hand mixer in a large bowl, and beat the whites at high speed until they reach room temperature and hold firm peaks. Using a rubber spatula, fold the remaining ½ cup coconut into the meringue. Spread the meringue over the top of the pie, and run the pie under the broiler until the top of the meringue is golden brown. (Or, if you've got a blowtorch, you can use it to brown the meringue.) Return the pie to the freezer for another 30 minutes or for up to 3 hours before serving.
AUTHENTIC KEY LIME PIE
I am a Florida native who raised Key lime trees in the back yard. This recipe is as authentic as it gets. A real Key lime pie is plain, simple. This is the recipe I grew up with. I hope you like it.
Provided by JetsonRING
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Whisk condensed milk and egg yolks together in a large mixing bowl. Mix in Key lime juice; mixture will be thin at first but will thicken as it is whisked. Whisk until smooth and thick. Pour into the graham cracker crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven until filling is firm to the touch and only slightly jiggly in the center, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate before serving, 5 hours to overnight.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 459.5 calories, Carbohydrate 69 g, Cholesterol 172.1 mg, Fat 16.8 g, Fiber 0.4 g, Protein 10.5 g, SaturatedFat 7.6 g, Sodium 251.8 mg, Sugar 61.8 g
She may live in chilly Roscoe, Illinois, but Muriel Boyd puts winter in its place with this light and lovely, orange meringue pie that tastes just as sun-kissed as it looks.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. , Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the oranges, butter and orange zest. Gently stir in lemon juice. Pour into pastry shell., In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. , Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 345 calories, Fat 12g fat (5g saturated fat), Cholesterol 92mg cholesterol, Sodium 153mg sodium, Carbohydrate 57g carbohydrate (37g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 4g protein.
FLORIDA KEY LIME PIE
An adopted recipe from the RecipeZaar account. I did not make any changes to the recipe that is posted, but I do use approx 2 tablespoons more lime juice when I make it...just because I love the sharp lime flavor. Please taste the mix first before you add more lime juice.
Provided by PetsRus
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Prepare crust: Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In 9" pie plate combine graham cracker crumbs and 2 tablespoons sugar;stir in butter until blended.
- Press mixture firmly and evenly over bottom and sides of pie plate; bake 10 minutes until browned.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Prepare filling: In top of double boiler using wire whisk,beat egg yolks,lime juice,1/3 cup sugar and salt until well blended.
- Set over simmering water;cook about 5 minutes,stirring constantly until mixture is thick enough to coat back of metal spoon.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1 tablespoons grated lime peel.
- Refrigerate mixture about 45 minutes until cool.
- Meanwhile,in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed,beat cream until soft peaks form.
- Set 1 cup whipped cream aside for garnish;fold cooled lime mixture into remaining cream.
- Spoon filling into prepared crust;refrigerate at least 2 hours until set.
- To serve: Spoon remaining whipped cream decoratively over top of pie; sprinkle cream with remaining 1 tablespoons lime peel.
- Garnish with lime slices,if desired.
More about "florida lime pie recipes"
AUTHENTIC FLORIDA KEY LIME PIE ORIGINAL FLORIDA KEYS …
FLORIDA KEY LIME PIE RECIPE | RECIPELAND
ORIGINAL FLORIDA KEY LIME PIE RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
FLORIDA PIE RECIPE - FLAVORITE
KEY LIME PIE - WIKIPEDIA
OLD FLORIDA RECIPE, KEY LIME PIE ‘THE OFFICAL FLORIDA …
BEFORE KEY LIME PIE, FLORIDA LOVED THIS SWEET-TART TREAT
KEY LIME PIE RECIPE - SOUFFLE BOMBAY
KEY LIME PIE - TASTE OF THE SOUTH
KEY LIME PIE RECIPE – THE BEST AUTHENTIC FLORIDA KEY …
FLORIDA KEY LIME PIE » ALLFOOD.RECIPES
FLORIDA LIME PIE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored in top of a double boiler. Add 1/2 cup sugar, lime juice, water, and salt; place over boiling water. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Cool.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold whites into lime mixture. Pour mixture into graham cracker piecrust. Bake at 325° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Chill at least 1 hour. Garnish with whipped cream and lime slices, if desired.
FLORIDA KEY LIME PIE RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
IRRESISTIBLE FLORIDA KEY LIME PIE RECIPE: WICKED MAGIC 2 WAYS
FLORIDA KEY LIME PIE RECIPE - BAKERRECIPES.COM
BEST-EVER KEY LIME PIE - ONCE UPON A CHEF
KEY LIME PIE FLORIDA KEYS - PIEPRONATION.COM
KEY LIME PIE RECIPE FLORIDA ~ 1970S VINTAGE POSTCARD | EBAY
KEY LIME PIE AND OLD FLORIDA | GILES SOUTH
AUTHENTIC FLORIDA KEY LIME PIE - COFFEE FIT KITCHEN
FLORIDA LIME PIE | CATHERINE | COPY ME THAT
BEST FLORIDA KEY LIME PIE RECIPE - RECIPELAND.COM
FLORIDA LIME PIE – VINTAGE.RECIPES
THE AUTHENTIC FLORIDA KEY LIME PIE (NO-BAKE) - ANTHONYSHOCK
WHAT IS FLORIDA LIME PIE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
FLORIDA KEY LIME PIE I RECIPE - BAKERRECIPES.COM
AUTHENTIC KEY LIME PIE - 2 COOKIN MAMAS
THE 7 BEST KEY LIME PIES IN THE FLORIDA KEYS
KEY LIME PIE - AUTHENTIC PIE OF THE CONCH REPUBLIC - FLOUR CHILD
FLORIDA LIME PIE RECIPE - NYT COOKING - MASTERCOOK
FLORIDA LIME PIE | RECIPE CART
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make key lime pie?Classic Florida Key lime pie has a graham cracker crust and a filling of sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, and freshly squeezed lime juice. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the graham crackers in a large zip-top bag and crush to fine crumbs with a rolling pin. Transfer to a small mixing bowl, add the sugar, and pour in the butter.
Is key lime pie Florida’s state pie?No wonder Key Lime Pie is our state pie … it’s perfect with Florida seafood or any light dish … and is an ideal way to finish off almost any meal. We like to make the pie with fresh key limes, but realize they are increasingly harder to find.
How do you make a lime pie with coconut cream?– Spread the coconut cream in the bottom of the graham cracker crust, and pour over the lime filling. – Bake the pie for 12 minutes. Transfer the pie to a cooling rack and cool for 15 minutes, then freeze the pie for at least 1 hour.
How do you make lime pie filling with egg whites?Stir in 1 tablespoon lime zest. In a medium bowl, use a whisk to beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then fold them gently into the condensed-milk mixture. Pour into the cooled pie shell. Place the pie back on the sheet pan and bake until the filling is just set in the center, about 20 minutes.