FRESH AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW
Craving wild mushrooms? My compromise is to make a stew using mostly cultivated mushrooms. But I give them a boost of wild flavor in a couple of ways. The first is to make an intense, flavorful broth with a handful of dried porcini. The other is to actually buy some wild mushrooms. A scant half-pound of chanterelles, even if pricey, won't break the bank. The rest of the rustic stew (call it a ragout if you wish) is made of shiitake, cremini and oyster mushrooms. As it simmers, this saucy, herbaceous mushroom stew gains depth and character. Spooned over pasta or nestled up to a soft mound of polenta, it evokes the comfort of home and the primal in each bite.
Provided by David Tanis
Categories dinner, lunch, main course
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Clean mushrooms, keeping colors separate, and trim tough stems. (Save stems for stock.) Slice mushrooms about 1/8-inch thick.
- In a wide skillet, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until onion has softened and browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 1 more tablespoon oil and turn heat to high. Add brown mushrooms, season lightly and stir-fry until nicely colored, about 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium. Add thyme, sage, red pepper and tomato paste. Add tomatoes, stir well, and cook for 1 minute. Season again with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour, stir to incorporate and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in reserved onions.
- Add 1 cup mushroom broth and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Gradually add 1 more cup broth and cook for 2 minutes. Sauce should have gravy-like consistency; thin with more broth if necessary. Adjust seasoning. (May be prepared to this point several hours ahead and reheated.)
- Just before serving, put butter and 1 tablespoon olive in wide skillet over medium high heat. When butter begins to brown, add chanterelles, season with salt and pepper, and sauté for about 2 minutes, until cooked through and beginning to brown. Add garlic and parsley, stir to coat and cook 1 minute more. Add chanterelles to brown mushroom mixture and transfer to a warm serving bowl. Accompany with polenta or pasta if you wish.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 129, UnsaturatedFat 3 grams, Carbohydrate 17 grams, Fat 6 grams, Fiber 6 grams, Protein 4 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 550 milligrams, Sugar 6 grams, TransFat 0 grams
This is a delicious, hearty, heart-friendly vegetarian stew. I serve it with polenta, but it would be equally yummy ladled over mashed potatoes, sweet mashed potatoes or rice. Garnish with fresh herbs.
Provided by Allyson
Categories Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes Stews
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Place dried mushrooms in a small bowl with enough hot water to cover; let stand 20 minutes. Drain mushrooms; reserve liquid.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat and cook and stir onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; stir in garlic, thyme, and cloves and cook and stir 2 minutes more. Stir fresh mushrooms and soaked dried mushrooms into onion mixture; cook and stir until mushrooms are soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir tomatoes and reserved mushroom liquid into mushroom mixture; simmer over low heat until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Bring vegetable stock to a boil; whisk in polenta. Cook polenta, whisking constantly, until polenta is thick and stock is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Divide polenta into 4 bowls; ladle mushroom stew over polenta and garnish with fresh parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 424.2 calories, Carbohydrate 65.4 g, Cholesterol 4.2 mg, Fat 12.8 g, Fiber 10.1 g, Protein 17.7 g, SaturatedFat 2.4 g, Sodium 988.3 mg, Sugar 16.2 g
WILD MUSHROOM STEW
This wild mushroom stew is a dish that combines different types of mushrooms. Types of mushrooms may vary, and how many types of mushrooms you use is also up to you.
Provided by Tao,RN
Categories Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes Soup Recipes Vegetable Soup Recipes Mushroom
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Put a clay pot into a cold oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Heat oil in a wok until shimmering. Add beech, oyster, and shiitake mushrooms. Cook and stir until mushrooms soften and volume is reduced, 3 to 5 minutes. Add chicken stock and salt. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and transfer mushroom mixture to the preheated clay pot.
- Turn the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and bake the mushrooms for 10 minutes.
- Stir water and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Remove mushrooms from the oven, add cornstarch mixture, and stir everything evenly. Cover, increase oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in bell pepper, green onions, and white pepper. Bake for 5 minutes and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 279.2 calories, Carbohydrate 15 g, Cholesterol 1 mg, Fat 21.2 g, Fiber 4.1 g, Protein 8.1 g, SaturatedFat 3.4 g, Sodium 645.2 mg, Sugar 3.9 g
WILD-MUSHROOM AND POTATO STEW
Categories Soup/Stew Mushroom Potato Sauté Stew White Wine Fall Bok Choy Soy Sauce Bon Appétit
Yield Makes 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until golden, about 8 minutes. Add mushrooms; sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Add wine and thyme; boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 1 minute. Add next 4 ingredients; cover and simmer gently until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Stir in bok choy; simmer uncovered until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer 3/4 cup potato pieces to small bowl; mash with fork. Return mashed potatoes to pot; simmer until juices thicken, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; serve.
DAVID WALLACH'S WILD-MUSHROOM STEW
Provided by Andrew Arons
Categories dinner, for one, main course
Yield One dinner serving
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the dried morels and porcini with the water. Bring to a simmer, then remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes.
- In a medium-sized saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the fresh mushrooms and cook over high heat until the edges of the mushrooms are golden brown. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Put the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the saute pan and heat over a medium flame. Add the leek and saute until translucent.
- Bring a medium pot of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the new potato and cook until it is tender but firm, about 2 minutes. Remove the potato from the water with a slotted spoon and reserve. Then add the carrot to the boiling water and blanch for about 2 minutes, or until the carrot is cooked al dente. Remove the carrot with a slotted spoon, refresh in cold water and set aside. Then add the celery root to the boiling water and cook for about 2 minutes or until the celery root is al dente. Drain from the water, refresh in cold water and set aside.
- Drain the mushroom broth through a fine mesh strainer and reserve the broth. Roughly chop the reconstituted mushrooms. Put the mushroom broth in a medium-sized saucepan and add the sauteed mushrooms, the reconstituted dried mushrooms, the cooked vegetables, the sliced artichoke, the bay leaf, chopped lemon thyme and parsley. Simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Season the stew with salt and pepper to taste. Add a splash of lemon juice to bring out the mushroom flavor. Serve with a hearty bread such as seven-grain or black bread.
More about "fresh and wild mushroom stew recipes"
SWISS VEAL AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW - KITCHEN …
WILD ABOUT FRESH AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW - THE …
RECIPES, DINNERS AND EASY MEAL IDEAS | FOOD NETWORK
FRESH AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW - DINING AND COOKING
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
FRESH SHIITAKE MUSHROOM RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
WILD MUSHROOM BEEF STEW - COOKING WITH CHEF BRYAN
FRESH AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW RECIPE - NYT COOKING
WILD ABOUT MUSHROOMS - THE NORWEGIAN AMERICAN
15 AMAZING MUSHROOM STEW RECIPE – EASY RECIPES TO MAKE AT …
FRESH AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW RECIPE | RECIPE | MUSHROOM STEW, …
VEGETARIAN MUSHROOM STEW RECIPE (WITH CHICKPEAS AND …
FRESH AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW - NANCY'S RECIPES
BEEF AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW - GOODHOUSEKEEPING.COM
WILD BOAR STEW WITH MUSHROOMS – THE TASTY CHILLI
WILD MUSHROOM STEW | WILLIE'S CACAO
BEEF AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW | EMERILS.COM
CHICKEN & WILD MUSHROOM STEW | CANADIAN LIVING
WILD MUSHROOM AND BEEF STEW RECIPE | MYRECIPES
WILD MUSHROOM STEW WITH GREMOLATA RECIPE | MYRECIPES
HEARTY, DELICIOUS MUSHROOM STEW - DELIGHTFUL ADVENTURES
RECIPE: FRESH AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW | THE SEATTLE TIMES
HOW TO MAKE MUSHROOM STEW - NOURISHED KITCHEN
FRESH AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW (FOR THE GOOD TIMES) – BLUE CAYENNE
WILD MUSHROOM STEW WITH CREAMY GRITS, FRIED GRITS, AND FRESH HERBS
WILD MUSHROOM AND BEEF STEW - GIRL AND THE KITCHEN
DEER VALLEY BEEF AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW - PRESSURE COOKING …
FRESH AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW | RECIPE CART
MUSHROOM SEAFOOD STEW - OMNIVORE'S COOKBOOK
FRESH AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW RECIPE | RECIPE | STEW RECIPES, …
WILD MUSHROOM STEW RECIPE | EMERIL LAGASSE | COOKING CHANNEL
FRESH WILD MUSHROOMS RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
WILD MUSHROOM LENTIL STEW - WEST COAST KITCHEN GARDEN
FRESH AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW RECIPE | RECIPE | MUSHROOM STEW, …
OYSTER AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW | HEALTHY DELICIOUS
FRESH AND WILD MUSHROOM STEW RECIPE | RECIPE IN 2022 | RECIPES, …
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love