FROSTY LIME PIE
This frozen dessert delivers cold, tart relief on a hot summer day. Pearl Byrd Foster served this pie on her menu at Mr. and Mrs. Foster's Place, her 15-table restaurant on the Upper East Side. Ms. Foster opened the restaurant after a 30-year career in hotel, department store and food magazine kitchens. Raymond Sokolov, a former food editor of The New York Times, wrote about this recipe in 1971. The real secret to making this pie, he said, is in how you handle the egg yolks. Heat them too much and they scramble, or too little and they won't thicken. When the yolks get too hot for your finger, around 165 degrees, they're hot enough.
Provided by The New York Times
Categories ice dishes, pies and tarts, dessert
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the crust: Place the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and salt in a bowl. Add the butter and work with a wooden spoon (or your fingers) to blend well. Press the mixture evenly into a 9-inch pie plate with your fingertips, or use an 8-inch pie plate to press down the mixture. Transfer to oven and bake 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Make the filling: Beat the yolks in the bowl of a stand mixer until very thick. Gradually beat in half the sugar until mixture is very pale and thick and forms a rope when dropped from the beater.
- Stir in the lime juice and zest and transfer to a double boiler. Heat over over simmering water, stirring until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Do not allow to boil. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Once the yolk mixture reaches room temperature, beat the egg whites with the salt in a separate bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar until mixture is stiff and shiny. Stir a third of this meringue mixture into the cooled yolk mixture. Fold in remaining meringue mixture until evenly distributed.
- Turn the mixture out into the cooled graham cracker pie shell and bake 15 minutes, or until lightly tinged with brown. Let cool.
- Transfer the pie to the refrigerator and let chill thoroughly, uncovered, then transfer to the freezer. Freeze at least 8 hours or overnight. Once it is frozen, cover with plastic wrap and keep frozen until just before serving.
- Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Cover with the whipped cream and garnish with lime slices dipped in sugar or fresh strawberries.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 312, UnsaturatedFat 8 grams, Carbohydrate 33 grams, Fat 19 grams, Fiber 0 grams, Protein 5 grams, SaturatedFat 10 grams, Sodium 180 milligrams, Sugar 27 grams, TransFat 0 grams
FROSTY KEY LIME PIE
I love Key Lime pies and but I wanted to find a quicker way of making one. After SEVERAL disappointing tries, I found one. It's a hit with my friends and family and there's never any left. You want easy? YOU GOT IT.
Provided by Clemen Cifuentes
Categories Fruit Desserts
Number Of Ingredients 5
- 1. In mixing bowl (stand or hand mixer), on slow speed for 1 minute, then medium speed for about 2-3 minutes, whip the heavy cream until you can "peak" it. Set aside. If you can, chill the mixing bowl for 10-15 minutes first this way your mixing time is cut.
- 2. In a seperate mixing bowl, mix the condensed milk and freshly squeezed key lime juice (strained).
- 3. Fold whipped cream in the condensed milk mixture. Leave enough whipped cream for garnish if you wish. Pour mixture in a graham cracker pie crust. Garnish (optional). Freeze for 40 minutes.
FROSTY KEY LIME PIE
Credit whipped cream for the fluffy-smooth texture and luscious flavor of this frozen refresher. It's highly recommended by field editor Lisa Feld of Grafton, Wisconsin.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6-8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 4
- In a large bowl, combine milk and lime juice. Refrigerate 1/4 cup whipped cream for garnish. Fold a fourth of the remaining whipped cream into lime mixture; fold in remaining whipped cream. Spoon into crust. Cover and freeze overnight. , Remove from the freezer 10-15 minutes before serving. Garnish with reserved whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 474 calories, Fat 32g fat (18g saturated fat), Cholesterol 99mg cholesterol, Sodium 207mg sodium, Carbohydrate 43g carbohydrate (39g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 6g protein.
More about "frosty key lime pie recipes"
FROSTY KEY LIME PIE BITES - WAY BETTER SNACKS
FROSTY KEY LIME PIE - CAROLINA COUNTRY
FROSTY KEY LIME TREATS - BLESSED BEYOND CRAZY
Reviews 3Estimated Reading Time 4 minsServings 18Calories 200 per serving
FROSTY KEY LIME PIE | THE SEA SALT - WORDPRESS.COM
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
FROSTY KEY LIME TREATS | EVERYDAYDIABETICRECIPES.COM
4/5 (1)Estimated Reading Time 50 secsCategory Frozen Desserts
STRAWBERRY PINEAPPLE SALSA - WAY BETTER SNACKS
FROSTY KEY LIME PIE | RECIPE | KEY LIME PIE RECIPE EASY ...
FROSTY KEY LIME PIE RECIPES
FROSTY LIME PIE - TFRECIPES.COM
CAN YOU FREEZE KEY LIME PIE? HOW LONG DOES IT LAST? - FOOD ...
FROSTY KEY LIME PIE RECIPE | TASTE OF HOME
FROSTY KEY LIME PIE RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
FROSTY KEY LIME PIE
FROSTY KEY LIME PIE RECIPE
FROSTY KEY LIME PIE | KEEPRECIPES: YOUR UNIVERSAL RECIPE …
FROSTY KEY LIME PIE
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #occasion #5-ingredients-or-less #pies-and-tarts #desserts #fruit #easy #pies #citrus #lime #taste-mood #sweet #number-of-servings
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
Can you freeze lime pie with whipped cream?Cover with the whipped cream and garnish with lime slices dipped in sugar or fresh strawberries. Pie will keep frozen two to three weeks. If a less tart pie is desired, cut down the lime juice to one-half cup. Extra pie can be refrozen.
Can you freeze a pie with whipped cream and strawberries?Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Cover with the whipped cream and garnish with lime slices dipped in sugar or fresh strawberries. Pie will keep frozen two to three weeks. If a less tart pie is desired, cut down the lime juice to one-half cup. Extra pie can be refrozen.
How do you freeze a baked graham cracker pie?Fold in remaining meringue mixture until evenly distributed. Turn the mixture out into the cooled graham cracker pie shell and bake 15 minutes, or until lightly tinged with brown. Let cool. Transfer the pie to the refrigerator and let chill thoroughly, uncovered, then transfer to the freezer. Freeze at least 8 hours or overnight.